HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Chris Tanev

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2013, 11:34 PM
  #26
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,560
vCash: 500
I'm terrified of Chris Tanev getting targeted with an offer sheet. Our cap situation is not so good and if we can't get something done before the RFA deadline, it might be better to trade him while we're still in control of the situation.

Wisp is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 12:12 AM
  #27
Doobie Dubois
Registered User
 
Doobie Dubois's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,112
vCash: 500
1.2-1.7

He will get no more. He doesn't have a pot to **** in. If he doesn't like it than he can go to arb, but 10 points in 92 nhl games isn't going to get you anything more than that. Especially on a bridge contract. I don't care how good he is defensively the arbitrator won't give him any more.

Doobie Dubois is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 12:19 AM
  #28
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,088
vCash: 50
2 years, 3.4.

I don't see the worry, just local media created nonsense.

m9 is online now  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:21 AM
  #29
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
When was the last time a player signed an offer sheet under $2.5mil?
It was a Canuck - Kesler.

 
Old
05-17-2013, 01:24 AM
  #30
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,244
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
its not really a thing you can have an opinion on, like, lawyers and agents Know Lots Of Things. your opinion can be "i hate lawyers and they're unpleasant to deal with" and this is a good opinion, but you cant have the opinion "lawyers don't do anything" because its not opinion that they do things, its fact

agents exist because a guy like lawrence gilman or glen sather would devour whole players representing themselves

when you have someone in a position where they negotiate with 20 players a year and another person, a player or his father, that negotiate once every three years, there's a massive power difference
That was true in the past put with in today's salary cap/linked revenue era I really don't see how an agent is worth a commission off the players NHL salary. I'm sure they can still provide value in legal and accounting area's, but an accountant you pay by a set rate, not a percentage of your overall income.

As for Tanev, with the Salary cap going down for everyone what team would actually offer him a contract that pays more than Subban or Del Zotto?

RandV is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:24 AM
  #31
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,992
vCash: 50
most agents as far as i know are actually hourly now as well

this isnt really from a position of authority rather than 'what ive heard' take it with salt etc

that said, even a commission agent is going to be worth it over your father. all tanev needs to get out of an agent is like 1.5 instead of 1.3 and its a good thing, and the guy can more easily negotiate something like a limited NTC or whatnot later when hes a UFA

Verviticus is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:26 AM
  #32
Lawzy
Registered User
 
Lawzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,837
vCash: 500
I'm going to lose my MIND if Tanev ends up walking. That'll be my two favourite players walking from my favourite team.

I would go up to 2 million. Chris has tons of potential. I know I have no basis for how I'm about to make this assumption, but I get the feeling he's a team first kind of guy and wouldn't poach us for money. Good Canadian kid, if you will.

Lawzy is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:33 AM
  #33
Orca Smash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawzy View Post
I'm going to lose my MIND if Tanev ends up walking. That'll be my two favourite players walking from my favourite team.

I would go up to 2 million. Chris has tons of potential. I know I have no basis for how I'm about to make this assumption, but I get the feeling he's a team first kind of guy and wouldn't poach us for money. Good Canadian kid, if you will.
The thing is I dont think he can walk, unless he gets a qualifying offer from another team I think he has to take what we give him , or go to salary arbitration or go play outside the nhl, but I am not entirely sure how this works, contract stuff is not my best area.


Last edited by Orca Smash: 05-17-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Orca Smash is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:36 AM
  #34
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,992
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
The thing is I dont think he can walk, unless he gets a qualifying offer from another team I think he has to take what we give him or go to arbitration or sign play outside the nhl, but I am not entirely sure how this works, contract stuff is not my best area.
there are essentially 4 or 4.5 scenarios

1: we do not sign him, he signs an offer sheet and we have the option to match at best or get a 2nd round pick at worst
2: we sign him, before or after free agency doesn't matter - as long as there isn't an offer sheet
3: he ****s off to europe for some unknown reason
4: we trade him before he signs an offer sheet. this could be done before or after negotiating a contract with him - hes an rfa and has no rights to an NTC

Verviticus is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:38 AM
  #35
Tanevian*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: East Van!
Posts: 2,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle1 View Post
Good for Tanev (assuming his Dad is not a moron). Player agents are like real estate agents or lawyers....they contribute NOTHING to society and they charge high prices for their 'services'. They are leeches.
Is it against board rules to lol out loud?

Tanevian* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:39 AM
  #36
Pip
Registered User
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 63,129
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Let Us Win View Post
Is it against board rules to lol out loud?
how else would you LOL


Pip is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:42 AM
  #37
Tanevian*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: East Van!
Posts: 2,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
That was true in the past put with in today's salary cap/linked revenue era I really don't see how an agent is worth a commission off the players NHL salary. I'm sure they can still provide value in legal and accounting area's, but an accountant you pay by a set rate, not a percentage of your overall income.

As for Tanev, with the Salary cap going down for everyone what team would actually offer him a contract that pays more than Subban or Del Zotto?
Your opinion is direct opposition to what most profession athletes know.

Tanevian* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:43 AM
  #38
Tanevian*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: East Van!
Posts: 2,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
how else would you LOL

That is a great question that I do not have a witty response to. I'm just a fan of the uneducated masses rebelling against successful people who "offer nothing" for their services.

Tanevian* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:46 AM
  #39
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
If he is a team man he will just sign his QO
If not he will be taken to arbitration and get the same amount anyways since it would be very hard for his side to quantify poisedness, and his stats don't seem to scream huge pay rise.

Stories Tales Lies is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:48 AM
  #40
Pip
Registered User
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 63,129
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Let Us Win View Post
That is a great question that I do not have a witty response to. I'm just a fan of the uneducated masses rebelling against successful people who "offer nothing" for their services.
people believe what they want to believe and in this case I don't know how they think agents are useless, but it's unlikely their stance will change and are most likely not looking to argue or challenge their own opinions

'tis the internet in all its glory

Pip is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:48 AM
  #41
Orca Smash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
there are essentially 4 or 4.5 scenarios

1: we do not sign him, he signs an offer sheet and we have the option to match at best or get a 2nd round pick at worst
2: we sign him, before or after free agency doesn't matter - as long as there isn't an offer sheet
3: he ****s off to europe for some unknown reason
4: we trade him before he signs an offer sheet. this could be done before or after negotiating a contract with him - hes an rfa and has no rights to an NTC
On number 4 if he does sign the offer sheet we would then not be able to trade him for a year? Not that I would want to, just curious.

Orca Smash is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:50 AM
  #42
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
In this Unionized world, are players even aloud to represent themselves?

Stories Tales Lies is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:52 AM
  #43
Tanevian*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: East Van!
Posts: 2,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
In this Unionized world, are players even aloud to represent themselves?
When I laughed "aloud" I was called out because laughing isn't "allowed".

Tanevian* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:52 AM
  #44
Pip
Registered User
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 63,129
vCash: 50
I would love to see how arbitration would go if he actually is seeking the reported amounts like 2.5+

"So Chris, why do you feel that you have earned this substantial pay raise?"

"Well, I am a big part of the defence here"

"Well, you don't really put up points, so I am assuming you are the shutdown defenseman"

Then it gets akward as it's shown he gets relatively easy matchups.

I am high on Tanev, but he has proven almost nothing up until this point aside from a **** ton of poise. I am guessing he signs a cheap bridge contract and then will be introduced to tougher matchups in hopes he becomes a mini-Hamhuis.

Pip is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:55 AM
  #45
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Let Us Win View Post
When I laughed "aloud" I was called out because laughing isn't "allowed".
Tomato Tomato











Who read that differently?

Stories Tales Lies is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:56 AM
  #46
Pip
Registered User
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 63,129
vCash: 50
*raises hand*

Pip is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:56 AM
  #47
Lawzy
Registered User
 
Lawzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
The thing is I dont think he can walk, unless he gets a qualifying offer from another team I think he has to take what we give him , or go to salary arbitration or go play outside the nhl, but I am not entirely sure how this works, contract stuff is not my best area.
You're right, poor choice of word. I more so meant drive up his price to an unsustainable amount and force us to either trade him, his rights or let him walk once his contract is up.

Nothing about Chris strikes me as someone who would do that, though.

EDIT:

TOMAHHHHTO TOMAYYYYYTO


Last edited by Lawzy: 05-17-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Lawzy is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:56 AM
  #48
BoHorvatFan
Registered User
 
BoHorvatFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I would love to see how arbitration would go if he actually is seeking the reported amounts like 2.5+

"So Chris, why do you feel that you have earned this substantial pay raise?"

"Well, I am a big part of the defence here"

"Well, you don't really put up points, so I am assuming you are the shutdown defenseman"

Then it gets akward as it's shown he gets relatively easy matchups.

I am high on Tanev, but he has proven almost nothing up until this point aside from a **** ton of poise. I am guessing he signs a cheap bridge contract and then will be introduced to tougher matchups in hopes he becomes a mini-Hamhuis.
Exactly, doesn't put up points, doesn't get the tough match ups, he's just calm and has potential. He's basically a rookie that has only played a 48 game season and a few games the year before. Paying him 2 million would be horrible cap management but hey we did waste around 13 million on a goalie, booth and ballard this year so who knows what our GM will do next.

BoHorvatFan is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:57 AM
  #49
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,992
vCash: 50
well then his father goes "ok well we're happy to wait until free agency and see if there are offer sheets" and the canucks trade him

its not arbitration

Verviticus is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:57 AM
  #50
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I would love to see how arbitration would go if he actually is seeking the reported amounts like 2.5+

"So Chris, why do you feel that you have earned this substantial pay raise?"

"Well, I am a big part of the defence here"

"Well, you don't really put up points, so I am assuming you are the shutdown defenseman"

Then it gets akward as it's shown he gets relatively easy matchups.

I am high on Tanev, but he has proven almost nothing up until this point aside from a **** ton of poise. I am guessing he signs a cheap bridge contract and then will be introduced to tougher matchups in hopes he becomes a mini-Hamhuis.
Yes, He will get his dues, but not this contract

Stories Tales Lies is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.