HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Tanev

Old
05-17-2013, 02:58 AM
Verviticus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
On number 4 if he does sign the offer sheet we would then not be able to trade him for a year? Not that I would want to, just curious.
correct

of vital importance if its a 1yr offer sheet - can't trade him for one year to the day the offer sheet was signed, not free agency

edit: he probably wouldnt sign a 1yr offer sheet unless it was pricey

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:59 AM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
well then his father goes "ok well we're happy to wait until free agency and see if there are offer sheets" and the canucks trade him

its not arbitration
Can we not take him to Arbitration?

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:59 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
Can we not take him to Arbitration?
has to be the contract after this one i'm pretty sure

possibly, but it would be a bad move. someone more familiar would have to say for certain

Old
05-17-2013, 03:02 AM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Just give him term and a NTC

Old
05-17-2013, 03:03 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
well then his father goes "ok well we're happy to wait until free agency and see if there are offer sheets" and the canucks trade him

its not arbitration
Not sure if your responding to me, salary arbitration is just that. I am not sure if that changed under the new cba but i thought that was an option for rfa's to go to a neutral arbitrator to settle the contract dispute?

Last edited by Orca Smash: 05-17-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:03 AM
Tanevian*

Chris Tanev offer sheets? My god people, check your homes for gas leaks. I've just emailed the CDC to report an outbreak of Stupidella Virus.

Tanevian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:07 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Let Us Win View Post
Chris Tanev offer sheets? My god people, check your homes for gas leaks. I've just emailed the CDC to report an outbreak of Stupidella Virus.
The talk is fueled by 1040 and is completely ridiculous

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:08 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Not sure if you read past this page (does not look like it), I said it was baseless speculation by jim jameison who posted an article in the province he would be a offer sheet target....

Nobody actually believes he is or saying we think he is an offer sheet target ourselves, we are commenting on the article.

Last edited by Orca Smash: 05-17-2013 at 03:31 AM.
Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:13 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Your opinion is direct opposition to what most profession athletes know.
I'm by no means saying agents are worthless, while it's a very different profession my missus is an actor so I know all about what a good/bad agent can or can't do. I'm just saying that in a salary cap/linked revenue model I don't think they're worth a by commission rate of pay. Obviously most players will pay their agents by commission as that's how it's been done for the longest time coming from a time when it was worthwhile to give them incentive to get you more. Some UFA's may still want this if they plan on testing the market and making bank, but otherwise for RFA's or players content to stay put it's usually pretty obvious what you're worth and how much cap space the team has available to pay you from.

All the other work is still there, just not a lot of incentive that should require a commission.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:15 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
this is the pretty silly attitude that has prevented players like tanev or alzner from getting offer sheeted and its good/bad depending on what team you are i guess

Old
05-17-2013, 03:22 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
this is the pretty silly attitude that has prevented players like tanev or alzner from getting offer sheeted and its good/bad depending on what team you are i guess
They don't get offer sheeted because their team will just auto match

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:53 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
They don't get offer sheeted because their team will just auto match
so tampa offers 3.32m or whatever the cutoff is to alzner for two years and washington matches. congratulations, you just ****ed them out of at least 3m in cap space

or they dont match because that salary might be ridiculous for the next year and they cant afford that. meanwhile, a bottom feeder like tampa just turned the 35th overall into karl alzner, a top 20 pick 5 years ago

Old
05-17-2013, 03:59 AM
Fat Tony

Quote:
Not sure if your responding to me, salary arbitration is just that. I am not sure if that changed under the new cba but i thought that was an option for rfa's to go to a neutral arbitrator to settle the contract dispute?
Players coming off ELC are not eligible for arbitration.

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:01 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
Players coming off ELC are not eligible for arbitration.
IIRC, more accurately, its "players who havent been in the league for four years"

Old
05-17-2013, 04:37 AM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
IIRC, more accurately, its "players who havent been in the league for four years"
So are we steering down the barrel of this playing out for Corrado (in the future) as well ?

Old
05-17-2013, 04:41 AM
Yossarian54

Quote:
so tampa offers 3.32m or whatever the cutoff is to alzner for two years and washington matches. congratulations, you just ****ed them out of at least 3m in cap space

or they dont match because that salary might be ridiculous for the next year and they cant afford that. meanwhile, a bottom feeder like tampa just turned the 35th overall into karl alzner, a top 20 pick 5 years ago
Exactly, i'm honestly surprised they aren't used in this way more often. Alzer will probably command that anyway, but it'd be a very good way to ensure Washington (in this example) has to jettison another good player in order to keep him. Tampa can then offer that player a contract or an offer sheet depending on their status.

With respect to our situation, a team offering Tanev ~2.5M would be a master-stroke. He is absolutely worth that to a team strapped for D, and it means that MG can only spend ~2.5M on a UFA winger/UFA centre/Raymond and not ~3.5M.

Colorado, Calgary and Edmonton are all in our division next year (i.e. they profit from our misfortune), are all lacking on the defensive end, and are all looking for good young-ish pieces. Tanev would probably be 2nd pairing on all of them. If they don't do it, they're idiots IMO.

Yossarian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:44 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
So are we steering down the barrel of this playing out for Corrado (in the future) as well ?
well every player signed before 21? has a 3 year ELC so yeah pretty much. corrado has probable offensive upside and thus will be easier to appreciate and we will have considerably more cap allowance instead of being under pressure of this crunch so the issue will likely not manifest itself

tanev has been kind of stuck in a position where he looks really good against bad players but doesn't score anyways so his value is probably a lot higher than the average person understands but its really hard to argue

Old
05-17-2013, 04:53 AM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
well every player signed before 21? has a 3 year ELC so yeah pretty much. corrado has probable offensive upside and thus will be easier to appreciate and we will have considerably more cap allowance instead of being under pressure of this crunch so the issue will likely not manifest itself

tanev has been kind of stuck in a position where he looks really good against bad players but doesn't score anyways so his value is probably a lot higher than the average person understands but its really hard to argue
Thanks for the info

It is still not the best to not have arbitration to protect us against it, but hopefully will not be an issue.

Old
05-17-2013, 05:40 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
When was the last time a player signed an offer sheet under $2.5mil?

Tanev will not be offsheeted.
With our team related?
-Ryan Kesler?
-David Backes?
-Steve Bernier?

...still very unlikely.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see Tanev signing a two year deal for $3M total ($1.5M AAV) or a eight year deal for $20M ($2.5M AAV).

I am also someone who seems to greatly overrate guaranteed money long-term (in case of injury etc.) rather than maximum earnings.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:24 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Two million tops or Tanev can sit until he accepts it. People tout the offer sheet threat to frequently on this forum. No one did so with Subban and I doubt anyone will with Tanev. The only way I would budge from the aforementioned, is if the term was favorable to us.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:36 AM
stickside

Quote:
Not sure if you read past this page (does not look like it), I said it was baseless speculation by jim jameison who posted an article in the province he would be a offer sheet target....

Nobody actually believes he is or saying we think he is an offer sheet target ourselves, we are commenting on the article.
i believe he could be an offersheet target if the canucks don't sign him. there's no question in my mind.

stickside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Tanevian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickside View Post
i believe he could be an offersheet target if the canucks don't sign him. there's no question in my mind.
Any unsigned RFA could be offersheeted. The thing is it just doesn't happen. It isn't an effective way to get players.

Tanevian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:39 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickside View Post
Nobody has offersheeeted substantially better players: Stamkos, Doughty, Benn, Subban...what makes you think we'll be losing a 1 goal scorer.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:42 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Don't know why people don't think Tanev wouldn't get an offer sheet. It's certainly not a laughable scenario.

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Don't know why people don't think Tanev wouldn't get an offer sheet. It's certainly not a laughable scenario.
Same reason a much better player like Subban didn't and ended up signing a 2.85m contract which is well below what he's actually worth.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote