HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Part V: Ilya Kovalchuk retires

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Hawkman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Pens just gave Bylsma a 2 year extension. So much for him ever getting the ax.
Quote:
The Pittsburgh Penguins and coach Dan Bylsma have agreed to a two-year contract extension through 2016. General manager Ray Shero announced the deal Wednesday morning, less than a week after the Eastern Conference's top seed was swept by Boston in the conference finals. Assistant coaches Tony Granato and Todd Reirden will also be retained. Goaltending coach Gilles Meloche will move into an advisory role with the club next season. Bylsma is 201-92-25 in four-plus seasons with Pittsburgh and helped the franchise win its third Stanley Cup in 2009. The Penguins went 36-12-0 and won the Atlantic Division title this season. Shero says he believes Bylsma is the coach to work with stars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin as the team moves forward.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/penguin...5700--nhl.html Agreed. Mike Milbury and Keith Jones are such hockey experts. Give JR a shot during the SCF!

06-12-2013, 02:15 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
No, 1 hate is not the same as another when it translates to a the 'rivalry'. It absolutely does matter.

AV is hated because he makes his whole team dickbags. That's a huge part of this 'rivalry' people still want to hold onto. That the Canucks are a bunch of punks. If Torts comes in and makes them a boring defensive team but aren't really punks, the rivalry loses even more luster than it already has.

It's not about the men themselves, it's about what they represent as leaders and how they translate into their team's philosophy. The Canucks are hated because they are punks. AV is hated because he is a punk and leads a bunch of punks.

If Torts comes in and makes them not punks, this whole thing is pretty boring.

Last edited by IU Hawks fan: 06-12-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old
06-12-2013, 02:25 PM
hockeydoug

Holmgren just can't help himself. Gives up a 4th for Streit.

Streit will be a 35+ contract. Probably be frontloaded 18-20 million-ish over 5 so that his franchise can deal with looming recapture consequences and a diminishing skill set. Probably sprinkle in a NMC for good measure. I guess Holmgren is going a little conservative after missing on the big boys the last couple years and letting Carle walk without even being able to take a crack at keeping him for a while.

Good luck PHI.

STL is going to have their hands full keeping their dmen rfas, but this may eliminate the worry about a monster offersheet from PHI.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:26 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
No, 1 hate is not the same as another when it translates to a the 'rivalry'. It absolutely does matter.

AV is hated because he makes his whole team dickbags. That's a huge part of this 'rivalry' people still want to hold onto. That the Canucks are a bunch of punks. If Torts comes in and makes them a boring defensive team but aren't really punks, the rivalry loses even more luster than it already has.

It's not about the men themselves, it's about what they represent as leaders and how they translate into their team's philosophy.
Well, I thought we were just talking about the hateability of each man at that point. I get what you are saying as far as people hating the way the team plays more because of AV. It's hard to get a gauge on something like that, but it could be true. But I know for a fact, people ****ing despise Torts and the playing style of his teams.

As far as who is more hateable, it's 16-3 in favor of people voting for Torts. So we're good on that.

As far as whether or not the Canucks-Hawks rivalry will be amped up from where it was the last year or so if they hire Torts, you make a good point about AV but that is something we will have to see to really know. Could go either way I guess. I still think Torts' personality/team playing style would add quite a bit to people hating that team more, but I have nothing else to back that up until it happens.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Hawkaholic

LOL @ Holmgren...what a joke.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Holmgren should be fired already... he destroys this team more and more.

Old
06-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Illinihockey

I have a theory that Holmgren and Gillis have a bet with each other to see who can ruin a franchise first.

Old
06-12-2013, 04:00 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Well, I thought we were just talking about the hateability of each man at that point. .
Yeah, not really. You said Torts would add to the rivalry. I think that losing AV would basically end what's left of it.

Old
06-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
I have a theory that Holmgren and Gillis have a bet with each other to see who can ruin a franchise first.
thought about thaht before

Old
06-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Illinihockey

Pens sign Malkin for 8 years $76 mil (9.5 per). They have 30% of their cap in Malkin and Crosby.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:42 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Pens sign Malkin for 8 years $76 mil (9.5 per). They have 30% of their cap in Malkin and Crosby.
That's what I figured...I actually thought it would be $80m.

Old
06-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Some sad news today from around NHL

Stars Prospect Scott Winkler found dead in his family home

http://blogs.gazette.com/collegehock...er-dead-at-23/

Oilers prospect Kristians Pelss went missing in his native Latvia and was found dead as well (Details are still iffy but reports are he jumped from Bridge in Riga)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425379

Old
06-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Some sad news today from around NHL

Stars Prospect Scott Winkler found dead in his family home

http://blogs.gazette.com/collegehock...er-dead-at-23/

Oilers prospect Kristians Pelss went missing in his native Latvia and was found dead as well (Details are still iffy but reports are he jumped from Bridge in Riga)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425379
Yikes that's sad

Old
06-14-2013, 10:24 AM
hockeydoug

Can't wait to see what Letang takes or passes up on. I think it's time for Shero to shop Neal and/or Kunitz.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:28 AM
hockeydoug

Toronto is shopping their buyouts. Might be an opportunity for Bowman to move Olesz or Montador for picks/prospects so they can save the buyout for next year.

I would really enjoy being a fly on the wall to hear what the offers and demands are for those types of deals. It will be a very interesting summer.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:29 AM
digdug41982

Neal is on a great contract. I'd definitely keep him around. If Letang wants around 7M, I'd just trade him.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:30 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
Can't wait to see what Letang takes or passes up on. I think it's time for Shero to shop Neal and/or Kunitz.
Would probably have to be Neal, I think... Kunitz is a UFA after 13-14. They could show Neal, I guess, and then look to extend Kunitz. Neal has a reasonable cap hit at 5M a year for the next 5 seasons.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:31 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
Toronto is shopping their buyouts. Might be an opportunity for Bowman to move Olesz or Montador for picks/prospects so they can save the buyout for next year.

I would really enjoy being a fly on the wall to hear what the offers and demands are for those types of deals. It will be a very interesting summer.
I doubt either is move-able. If they were, I think it would have happened already.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:36 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Would probably have to be Neal, I think... Kunitz is a UFA after 13-14. They could show Neal, I guess, and then look to extend Kunitz. Neal has a reasonable cap hit at 5M a year for the next 5 seasons.
For some reason when I posted this, I thought Kunitz was a bit younger than he is... Didn't realize he is already 33 years old, and he'll be 34 by the time next season starts. With that said, keep him and Kunitz & Neal for next year, and say adios to Kunitz after next season.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:46 AM
xX Hot Fuss

I'd trade Letang too. If he's asking for Suter/Doughty money especially. Itd be dumb to have $25ish mil tied up in 3 players

Old
06-14-2013, 11:02 AM
helicon1

I can't imagine that there's any way they could/would keep Letang at 7 million. Even 5 would be tricky in a few years just looking at their situation on cap geek. They seem to be pretty stocked with prospect D (any close?), so there might be a real possibility of a trade. Even without an extension I'd imagine he'd be pretty valuable, despite the playoff performance.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:21 AM
digdug41982

For sure, his cap hit is only 3.5M next year. Pretty much everyone will be interested, but he'll probably go to a team that will extend him right away. Imagine something like Smid + 2013 1st for Letang. As long as Edmonton feels strongly about resigning Letang, I think that deal helps both teams a lot.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:06 PM
xX Hot Fuss

That's actually a pretty fair trade IMO. I doubt pens fans would like it but I don't think the Pens are winning anything with Letang as their #1 Dman. His point production is nice and al but he's just not that good defensively

Old
06-14-2013, 02:20 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I doubt either is move-able. If they were, I think it would have happened already.
Toronto is using buyouts to trade for assets. Chicago would throw assets in like rights, picks, players, and/or prospects.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:24 PM
hockeydoug

Who is going to move the puck or be up top of the circles for Pit if the move Letang. I doubt they can trust the kids to be the only puck movers/pp types in less than a year.

Letang is worth 7 to the because of what they'll have to overpay on the market. All the more reason to hammer the Morrow for Morrow trade. They need dmen that can touch the puck without imploding and skate and they need more time to fill out the blueline with cheap contracts.

Closed Thread