HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Part V: Ilya Kovalchuk retires

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Devils are Koval****ed for years to come.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 6m

1. Mutual (player and club agree) termination of an NHL contract not that unusual but usually involves lower-profile players.

2. If NJ had so chosen, it could've blocked Kovalchuk from the KHL by tolling contract. But NJ isn't doing that, he's free to go to KHL.

3. Kovalchuk doesn't get paid anything (by NJ) and Devils don't get cap hit other than a modest $250K/year penalty for each of next 12 years

4. NJ will miss Kovallchuk on ice in the short term but long-term gain is getting out from under long-term financial obligation.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:12 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
He committed to Devils (And the organization paid a price for that committment)

He went to KHL for lockout and saw how much $$$ he woudl get ,, Simple as that IMO

He screwed over alot of people today
There's nothing to prevent a player from retiring prior to the expiration of his contract.

I thought this might happen after the lockout - that the players who played in Euro leagues in their own country might start to think more about returning home to play.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:26 PM
SLarmer28

Makes you think twice about drafting Russian players.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:58 PM
RedBaronIndian
Rest in Peace

Bob M sums it nicely

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 25m
6. When all is said and done, as big a short-term hole as Kovalchuk's departure leaves in NJ, it's a divorce of convenience for both sides.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

no problems with it
never liked the Devils, always hated Kovy and he is a POS

Old
07-11-2013, 06:24 PM
needle

If it's such a convenience for the Devils to get out of the long-term contract, why did they sign him to a long-term contract in the first place?

Old
07-11-2013, 06:54 PM
zytz
lumberjack

He wanted paycheck humongous big

Old
07-11-2013, 07:11 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
He committed to Devils (And the organization paid a price for that committment)

He went to KHL for lockout and saw how much $$$ he woudl get ,, Simple as that IMO

He screwed over alot of people today
I don't think his decision was as much about the money.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Taze em

So Kovy signs a deal to the KHL and it wipes his contract completely clean from the Devils books?!?

...Sounds like an awesome way to circumvent the cap on the back end of Hossa's deal...

Old
07-11-2013, 08:22 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taze em View Post
So Kovy signs a deal to the KHL and it wipes his contract completely clean from the Devils books?!?

...Sounds like an awesome way to circumvent the cap on the back end of Hossa's deal...
It's not completely clean, they Devils still have a $250k/year cap recapture penalty for the next dozen years. The only reason it's not astronomically high is because he's actually made less than his cap hit every year he played in NJ. I might be wrong though.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:24 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Think I can safely say that the Devils are not going to be preaseason playoff prediction now....

Old
07-11-2013, 09:31 PM
LarmerSavardSecord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTP View Post
It's not completely clean, they Devils still have a $250k/year cap recapture penalty for the next dozen years. The only reason it's not astronomically high is because he's actually made less than his cap hit every year he played in NJ. I might be wrong though.
Not quite true. He made a little less than his cap hit by a ~$600K the first two years, but entered the big-salary era of the contract ($11m vs. $6.7m cap) this past year. That's the difference, amortized over the rest of the deal.

The deal would get worse for the Devils, who have to be a budget team at this point. The Devils are cash-strapped, so getting the over-paid salary per performance off the books is huge. And, though it might not matter if they can't spend, they remove the huge recapture penalties he was going to rack up over the next four years. He probably had a NMC, so not tradable, but even without one, his desire to go back home effectively gave him one.

The Devils got out of this contract at the right time and will be better off.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:43 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Wow, I'm shocked...especially given he's only 30. But I guess I understand how, if you're from Russia, you family is there, etc. there's a big attraction to the NHL. ... and he was tied into NJ for so long...and it's not like they're about to win a cup or anything.

Too bad for the fans, though.
**** devils fans. in my limited interactions with them on here they seem to be a delusional pompous group of tools. kovy is way better than kane because hes allegedly a physical presence and plays better d. laughable on both accounts. feel bad for schneider though, got the raw end of the goalie debacle in van and will be wasting away in nj for the forseeable future.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:43 PM
LarmerSavardSecord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taze em View Post

See previous post, would not work. First Hossa has already accrued much of his recapture, and will do the rest in the next few years, while Kovy was just entering the high-salary vs cap part of his contract.

Good news: Hossa can't go home and make big money, they don't pay big salaries where he's from. The Hawks won't release him from his contract to play in the KHL, and they aren't going to take the recapture penalty because he's homesick but still want to play.If he want's to play hockey, it's in the NHL.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:16 PM
needle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerSavardSecord View Post
See previous post, would not work. First Hossa has already accrued much of his recapture, and will do the rest in the next few years, while Kovy was just entering the high-salary vs cap part of his contract.

Good news: Hossa can't go home and make big money, they don't pay big salaries where he's from. The Hawks won't release him from his contract to play in the KHL, and they aren't going to take the recapture penalty because he's homesick but still want to play.If he want's to play hockey, it's in the NHL.
If Hossa retires after the 2016-2017 season (his last season of decent salary before his last 4 years of $1M) the Hawks would have to pay a 4.125M recapture penalty.

So, basically 4.125M of dead cap space 2018-2021.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:48 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Going to the KHL only works for Russians; each team is exempt from the cap for 1 national player. Hossa would never play there.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:57 PM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

2 first rounders , Oduya, the ability to resign Parise... Kovy really ****ed the Devils. Feel bad for their fans.

I think this really will hurt Russian prospects chances in the upcoming years drafts too. Too much of a risk IMO

Old
07-11-2013, 11:12 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
**** devils fans. in my limited interactions with them on here they seem to be a delusional pompous group of tools. kovy is way better than kane because hes allegedly a physical presence and plays better d. laughable on both accounts. feel bad for schneider though, got the raw end of the goalie debacle in van and will be wasting away in nj for the forseeable future.
I figure I'll give it a week (my poll today on the trade was closed)...and then start a poll "With Kovy Gone, is Kane the Indisputably the Best RW in the League".

I can't hate on their fans just b/c it's brutal to have a player leave like that. With that said, if you want to have a good, long laugh, go read the Kovy thread on the Rangers' board.

As far as Schneider goes...that might turn into even more of a joke for them...b/c he's got two years left on his contract...and arrogant Marty seems to want to hang in...so if you're Schneider and you're going to spend at least the first of your last two years as a back up, how much loyalty are you going to feel to the organization? Especially one in a ****hole like Newark..and who currently has, well, pretty much no good players? On top of that, Horvat, the player Van picked w/ NJ's first, is a really good player - and I think he's going to surprise a lot of people w/ how well he does.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:03 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Just made the mistake of reading through the first few pages of the first Kovalchuk retirement topic on the Devils board.

.... now I'm depressed....

Old
07-12-2013, 03:54 AM
RedBaronIndian
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Just made the mistake of reading through the first few pages of the first Kovalchuk retirement topic on the Devils board.

Devils fans(on hfboards) are a passionate bunch when it comes to hockey.Also they are absolutely ruthless when throwing departing players under the bus. Parise's departure was bad, but the worst one was during the brief period when Marty was contemplating signing with another team.

May be this will cheer you up. Blackhawks are responsible for Kovy's departure

Old
07-12-2013, 04:19 AM
HeisenBaez

I haven't been this surprise about a player leaving at the prime of his career since Barry Sanders. Not exactly the same situation, I know, but just as surprising nonetheless.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:24 AM
Marina
Steve Holt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post

Agreed, I just skimmed the first couple pages and everybody seems so upset/confused. I don't particularly care about the Devils or Kovalchuk but I feel bad for the fans.

Old
07-12-2013, 06:41 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I think Kovys body is done and he rather goes back now

Old
07-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Kurtosis
COYS

Quote: