HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Part V: Ilya Kovalchuk retires

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2013, 10:23 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

vCash: 500
Rumors still going on that Lou wants out of VC. What a mess over there? They could go from having two quality goaltenders to none.

Old
07-24-2013, 11:54 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Rumors still going on that Lou wants out of VC. What a mess over there? They could go from having two quality goaltenders to none.
Well, when you spend over a year holding down your supposed goalie of the future, only to trade him, and then obviously try to talk to everybody with an outrageous asking price to ship your goalie of the present, all the time giving neither enough time in the net, you're ****ing up pretty righteously there.

Old
07-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Devils will not be getting a lotto pick with Schneider and Brodeur as their goalies.
over a full season, their team will go down and will have lots of injuries added with the decline of guys like Jagr and Elias over a 82 game season. Not only that, they already lack Star players

Old
07-25-2013, 03:49 PM
madgoat33

devils are going to be baaad

Old
07-25-2013, 05:59 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
over a full season, their team will go down and will have lots of injuries added with the decline of guys like Jagr and Elias over a 82 game season. Not only that, they already lack Star players
LOL ignorant and baseless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
devils are going to be baaad
Bet you anything they won't be.

Old
07-25-2013, 06:01 PM
committedindian86
Teuvo Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDevilsfan26 View Post
LOL ignorant and baseless.

Bet you anything they won't be.
I think they'll be better than people think, not sure if they will make the playoffs though

Old
07-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post
I think they'll be better than people think, not sure if they will make the playoffs though
They will make the playoffs. The defense gave up the fewest shots in the league last year but everything got sabotaged by Hedberg. We had bottom 5 goaltending last year. Schneider is going to make an enormous difference. People are going to be very surprised at how much better and balanced there forward group is without 17 getting ridiculous amounts of ice time and everyone trying to force him the puck on the pp. Replacing his 4 EVEN STRENGTH GOALS he had last year will not be a problem. Assuming Zajac and Henrique bounce back and everyone else plays to there career norms, they will be fine. Jagr and Elias haven't shown signs of slowing down.

Old
07-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Cullksinikers

The Devils are underrated. They'll make some noise.

Old
07-25-2013, 06:21 PM
madgoat33

I just don't see it. Their offense just looks so weak to me.

Old
07-25-2013, 06:30 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Devils will finish anywhere between 6th and 10th...or whatever the equivalent to that is with the new alignment.

Basically a bubble team

Old
07-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

There offense looks weak because Zajac and Clowe had the worst years of there careers last year and Henrique had a terrible sophomore slump. I'm confident they all bounce back. They have had one of, if not, the best puck possession systems in the league since Deboer got here and arguably the best 4th line in the league for the last year and a half. Everything went to hell last year because of injuries, awful goaltending and Parise's offense not being replaced.

Old
07-25-2013, 07:30 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
There offense looks weak because Zajac and Clowe had the worst years of there careers last year and Henrique had a terrible sophomore slump. I'm confident they all bounce back. They have had one of, if not, the best puck possession systems in the league since Deboer got here and arguably the best 4th line in the league for the last year and a half. Everything went to hell last year because of injuries, awful goaltending and Parise's offense not being replaced.
and jagr is going to make up for the loss of kovy? Again, I just don't see it

Old
07-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Quote:
and jagr is going to make up for the loss of kovy? Again, I just don't see it
Hes not coming here to replace his offense but I'm sure he will able to score 4 even strength goals though. He came here because he fits the system perfectly. Ryder will most likely be the one to "replace" most of Kovy's goals if you want to look at it that way as well as the guys I mentioned above getting back to there career norms. I have a feeling Kovalchuk is not the player you think he is/was. He was never a good fit and was very, very average for 2 of the 3 years here. If you have some time on your hands go to the Devils board and read some of the stuff in the "Team Better Off Without Kovalchuk" thread to get a better understanding of what he was like for the 3 years he was in Jersey.

By the way sorry for popping in here. I was just bored and was wondering what people were saying about the Sox and the deadline and what you thought about Olesz before I realized he never really played in Chicago

Old
07-25-2013, 08:28 PM
committedindian86
Teuvo Time

Quote:
Hes not coming here to replace his offense but I'm sure he will able to score 4 even strength goals though. He came here because he fits the system perfectly. Ryder will most likely be the one to "replace" most of Kovy's goals if you want to look at it that way as well as the guys I mentioned above getting back to there career norms. I have a feeling Kovalchuk is not the player you think he is/was. He was never a good fit and was very, very average for 2 of the 3 years here. If you have some time on your hands go to the Devils board and read some of the stuff in the "Team Better Off Without Kovalchuk" thread to get a better understanding of what he was like for the 3 years he was in Jersey.

By the way sorry for popping in here. I was just bored and was wondering what people were saying about the Sox and the deadline and what you thought about Olesz before I realized he never really played in Chicago
Olesz is like a Unicorn, he doesn't exist

Last edited by committedindian86: 07-25-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old
07-25-2013, 08:48 PM
madgoat33

Quote:

Devils fans sure turned on kovy. Before he bailed for the KHL he was absolutely better than Kane...

Now he's not clearly way above Jagr?

Old
07-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Hawkaholic

Elias has shown no signs of slowing down. He still has lots of game left, Clowe will replace Clarkson decently, the combination of an improved Henrique and Zajac along with Jagr can help replace what they lost in Kovy. Their goaltending will be much improved, and they will be a fringe playoff team.

I forgot that anyone who misses becomes a lotto pick, but I still consider the bottom 5 the real lotto picks. So I guess technically they more than likely will have a lotto pick in the sense that they could miss the playoffs.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:01 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Elias has shown no signs of slowing down. He still has lots of game left, Clowe will replace Clarkson decently, the combination of an improved Henrique and Zajac along with Jagr can help replace what they lost in Kovy. Their goaltending will be much improved, and they will be a fringe playoff team.

I forgot that anyone who misses becomes a lotto pick, but I still consider the bottom 5 the real lotto picks. So I guess technically they more than likely will have a lotto pick in the sense that they could miss the playoffs.
Again, they replaced kovy with a worse player, still haven't filled the gap parise left, elias is a year older, clowe looked like a shell last year, zajac has played like a 3rd liner outside of 2 seasons 4+ years ago.

If everything goes right for the devils, they may be fighting for a PO spot, but IMO, its more likely they are bottom 10 in the league.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Quote:
Again, they replaced kovy with a worse player, still haven't filled the gap parise left, elias is a year older, clowe looked like a shell last year, zajac has played like a 3rd liner outside of 2 seasons 4+ years ago.

If everything goes right for the devils, they may be fighting for a PO spot, but IMO, its more likely they are bottom 10 in the league.
Your going to be disappointed when you see where the Devils finish come April. That's all I'm going to say.

Old
07-25-2013, 10:47 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Your going to be disappointed when you see where the Devils finish come April. That's all I'm going to say.
I agree with madgoat. They need a lot to go right with little room for set backs.

Old
07-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

They did not improve and lost their best player... best RW in the NHL accorinding to their fans.

Sure it was all Hedbergs fault that they lost Parise and now Kovy and replaced them with Ryder and Jagr. Not to mention that Clarkson is better than Clowe.

Henrique isn't that super duper 1st liner that just had a down year. It's somewhere in the middle.

They already didn't make the POs in the shortened season and they will go down as longer the season continues

Old
07-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:

Again, If Zajac and Henrique return to form, and Ryder, and Jagr play like they can, it will more than make up for the loss of Kovy. I don't think Clarkson to Clowe is a set back at all, both are 3rd liners 20G scorers.

If everything goes right, they'll be a playoff team. If a few things go wrong, they'll be just on the outside looking in.

Last year Brodeur got hurt and their season fell apart. They now have Schneider instead of ****** Hedberg, which will make a MAJOR difference on it's own.

Old
07-26-2013, 09:10 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Signing two 20 goal scorers doesn't replace one 35 goal scorer.

Old
07-26-2013, 09:10 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:

By the way sorry for popping in here. I was just bored and was wondering what people were saying about the Sox and the deadline
Trade anyone but Sale.

Old
07-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Signing two 20 goal scorers doesn't replace one 35 goal scorer.
Ryder is more than a 20G scorer, actually he has scored more goals in the last 2 years than Kovalchuk has.

Old
07-26-2013, 09:25 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

And that includes far and away the best year of Ryder's career and a year where Kovalchuk was playing hurt. Over the past three years it's Ryder's 69 goals to Kovie's 77.

And that's not bringing up assists. Ryder is a nice complementary scorer. Jagr is old but still a capable second line scorer. Kovalchuk is a franchise talent. It isn't close.

Closed Thread