HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Positive Thinking and Winning. Interesting Article.

Old
05-18-2013, 03:53 AM
egelband

vCash: 500
Positive Thinking and Winning. Interesting Article.

Not sure if this has been posted but i hope the rangers have read this...the knicks should read it too.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...1f9_story.html

Quote:
She (Pat Summitt) also said this: "At Tennessee, we have won games by the
margin of a single good thought."
The Caps lose playoff games by the margin of Ovechkin's
negative thoughts. They will do this for as long as they let
silly contentions about officiating and league conspiracies blind
them to the larger fact of their performance. Buried in Ovechkin
and McPhee's remarks is the suggestion that they were really the
better team. They weren't. They got purely outfought, especially
by the Rangers' third and fourth lines, and mentally collapsed.
The refs didn't play swarming defense that blocked 27 Capitals
shots in Game 7. The refs didn't hold Ovechkin to just one goal
and one assist in the entire series.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 04:56 AM
Cake or Death

vCash:
Good read. Though I still think the real issue is that they simply aren't a very good hockey team. There's a sense the Caps are way better than they are because of their brutally inflated regular season record. It's great they always finish high, but no one seems to look at the simple fact that they were 15-3 against the SE this season and under .500 against the rest of the league. Or that AO was 1.61 PPG against the SE teams and 0.90 against the rest of the league.

Bottom line is, they simply aren't a very good team and with realignment I don't even see them making the playoffs. I think they just appear much better than they are from a great record built by beating on a horrifically weak division. Regular season the Caps were 15-3-0 against their division and 4-9-2 against ours. That about says it all.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:50 PM
bernmeister

Positive thinking, Jedi mind tricks, hypnosis, Lennon's Mind Games, etc.

All can make you lose. All can help you win. All can make you play better, and come up short.

Any of these, just not all at the same time.

But you still have to have the horses to win.
And as a general rule, that is the horses, on any given day.

Occasionally, you only need horses to be good enough to win on a particular day, not routinely. But that is the minimum threshold.

US Olympians beat the Russians.
Statistically unlikely as an ongoing event.
But for those games, they reached within to the potential needed to do the job, regardless of whether or not that benchmark was aided by the Soviets (for any reason; internal dissension, undisclosed injury, just overdue for some subpar games --- subpar by their high standards).

Rangers are betw. good and very good.
They are not so good as to dominate.
All the competition, much of it also very good, is also flawed.
So the cup is up for grabs.

But we still need enough horses to be good enough to win, and we are not there yet (again, neither is the comp.).

It would help if we got on all cylinders about the coaching, but there are too many people w/legit complaints about Torts' system.

As Rangers continue to actually improve and resolve Torts issue, then there will be more basis for more positive thinking which I expect will help.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 03:28 PM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake or Death View Post
Good read. Though I still think the real issue is that they simply aren't a very good hockey team. There's a sense the Caps are way better than they are because of their brutally inflated regular season record. It's great they always finish high, but no one seems to look at the simple fact that they were 15-3 against the SE this season and under .500 against the rest of the league. Or that AO was 1.61 PPG against the SE teams and 0.90 against the rest of the league.

Bottom line is, they simply aren't a very good team and with realignment I don't even see them making the playoffs. I think they just appear much better than they are from a great record built by beating on a horrifically weak division. Regular season the Caps were 15-3-0 against their division and 4-9-2 against ours. That about says it all.
Thanks for the stats about Washington. I had no idea they'd done so poorly against teams outside the SE and the same applied to Ovechkin.

The Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote