HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Live broadcasts of Team USA's final two games?

Old
05-16-2013, 09:53 PM
masa2009

vCash: 500
Live broadcasts of Team USA's final two games?

I see that NBCSN has the Indy 500 qualifications and Preakness Stakes pre-race show on Saturday afternoon.
Those look like pretty definitive commitments, and Team USA's semi starts at 1 PM Eastern.

NBCSN's sched says that they'll show a tape delayed semifinal game in the Sat/Sun night.
I'm guessing maybe they could show it live on Universal Sports, but I can't find their Saturday schedule yet.

masa2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:58 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by masa2009 View Post
I see that NBCSN has the Indy 500 qualifications and Preakness Stakes pre-race show on Saturday afternoon.
Those look like pretty definitive commitments, and Team USA's semi starts at 1 PM Eastern.

NBCSN's sched says that they'll show a tape delayed semifinal game in the Sat/Sun night.
I'm guessing maybe they could show it live on Universal Sports, but I can't find their Saturday schedule yet.
Cannot imagine the programming on CNBC will be that hard to bump on the weekend either. That is carried on a lot more television sets than Universal Sports, hoping that is where they move it much like they move NHL playoff games there.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:27 PM
masa2009

That would be pretty great for the IHWC in the States, but I'm not sure the event is yet at a level where they'd bump regular programming on a non-sports channel to air it.
Plus, vis-a-vis their major league partner the NHL, it could be hard to justify putting a IIHF game on a pretty widespread channel like CNBC, going against the marquee DET-CHI game starting at the same time on NBC.

Last edited by masa2009: 05-16-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old
05-17-2013, 10:56 AM
William H Bonney

@usahockey: NBC Sports Network will air Team USA vs Switzerland in the #IIHFWorlds semifinals tomorrow live at 1 p.m. ET

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:21 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
@usahockey: NBC Sports Network will air Team USA vs Switzerland in the #IIHFWorlds semifinals tomorrow live at 1 p.m. ET

Get to watch Josi in action while cheering the US on; perfect.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:02 PM
masa2009

That's great, although you can see that NBC isn't pushing the game at all.

Earlier in the tourney when games didn't conflict with the NHL, they'd give Team USA news during NHL intermissions, but they haven't said anything about the semi on TV or even on their Twitter today, despite promoting most other events of the next few days.

Old
05-17-2013, 10:27 PM
pavelich

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I don't know about that. Just saw a promo for Preakness coverage on NBCSN at 2:30 pm. Saturday.

And their web site says the US/SW game will be on at midnight

http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tvlistin...?aid=nbcsports

pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:57 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masa2009 View Post
That's great, although you can see that NBC isn't pushing the game at all.

Earlier in the tourney when games didn't conflict with the NHL, they'd give Team USA news during NHL intermissions, but they haven't said anything about the semi on TV or even on their Twitter today, despite promoting most other events of the next few days.
Seems like it was pushed for much more last year than this year, though once the US was ousted, that kinda became back burner stuff. I remember they tape delayed the gold medal game with Russia~Slovakia and then shortened it too I believe.

Hope it is on live. I mean, when you're the only source of the game, it would be nice to continue with it. I'm sure they could push Healing Power of Juicing a bit back on CNBC

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:22 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelich View Post
I don't know about that. Just saw a promo for Preakness coverage on NBCSN at 2:30 pm. Saturday.

And their web site says the US/SW game will be on at midnight

http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tvlistin...?aid=nbcsports
According to USAH:

@usahockey: coverage of the game was conditional on Team USA's participation. It will be aired live on NBCSN tomorrow

I would assume they have confirmed this with NBCSN. But I wouldn't be surprised either way unfortunately because USAH's website says it's tape delayed in some sections but live in others. They're also saying it's live on twitter. USAH is notoriously mediocre at updating their website so I hope their twitter is right.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 05-18-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old
05-18-2013, 01:20 AM
William H Bonney

Update: USAH just updated their site's main page blurb under "Wish Team USA Good Luck" to say the game is live via webcast but tape delayed on NBCSN. An hour ago that blurb said it was live on NBCSN but when you actually clicked the link it always said tape delayed and only live via webcast.

A) what a confusing mess. Very poor job by USAH and NBCSN.

B) this late update to USAH's site to only reference it being live via webcast is not a good sign for it being on TV.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:36 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Ugh. I'll just watch the game on tape delay and hope nobody spoils it for me.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 02:07 AM
Xokkeu

Its only on stream I believe

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 02:08 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Ugh. I'll just watch the game on tape delay and hope nobody spoils it for me.
Chris Peters just confirmed with a source that it's tape delayed, airing after Kings game. I hope you're not planning on watching any of the NHL games tomorrow as I'm sure they will show the results before airing the game.

Hope everyone can at least watch it online.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:18 AM
masa2009

Now that's more in line with what I expected, sadly. Given previous scheduling conflicts between NHL broadcasts and those horse racing specials on NBC, I didn't really expect the IHWC to disloge both Preakness and Indy 500 coverage, even on NBCSN. And the fact it won't even air on Universal Sports tells you that they probably weren't too enthusiastic about showing it opposite the NHL.

I wonder if they ever considered actually showing it on TV and then backtracked, or if it was a miscommunication with USA Hockey all along.
NBC PR never said anything about the broadcast. Meanwhile, USA Hockey still has it on their Twitter feed.

Last edited by masa2009: 05-18-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old
05-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Where is the game streaming online? The official IIHF Youtube page says "The uploader has not made this video available in your country" when I click on either of the game links.

http://www.youtube.com/icehockey

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Bullwine85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Where is the game streaming online? The official IIHF Youtube page says "The uploader has not made this video available in your country" when I click on either of the game links.

nbcsports.com

Have to confirm your provider though, similar to watchespn.com

Bullwine85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:15 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post

It'll be here... http://stream.nbcsports.com/liveextra/

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Damn it.

I was hoping to watch it live on NBCSN but the guide says Indy car racing is on. And they'd show that over hockey

I know it's IIHF but come on, hockey > car racin'.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:42 AM
WaltWhitman

It's OK. I'm glad they aren't showing the medal rounds live, because then all the mainstream fans come in and ruin it for us fans that have been watching since before it was cool. Oh sure they'll say, "but, the medal round is the most important part of the tournament, it's when the champions of the world are decided" Yeah OK, POSERS!

NBC gets it.

WaltWhitman is offline   Reply With Quote