HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Brad Stuart

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2005, 12:12 AM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Brad Stuart

Brad stuart seems to be seriously underrated on these boards...he had more points than any defenseman under 28 last year, I think, and he was pretty solid in the other aspects of the game. Also, he played under the "sharing" system in San Jose. He is only 25 and can improve a lot...

Is Stuart underrated or is there something wrong in his game that throws people off? Are people still worried about the concussion he recieved from Jody Shelly in 02-03.

Old
05-15-2005, 12:16 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10
Brad stuart seems to be seriously underrated on these boards...he had more points than any defenseman under 28 last year, I think, and he was pretty solid in the other aspects of the game. Also, he played under the "sharing" system in San Jose. He is only 25 and can improve a lot...

Is Stuart underrated or is there something wrong in his game that throws people off? Are people still worried about the concussion he recieved from Jody Shelly in 02-03.
Brad Stuart is now too old to be a HF darling, and still too young as far as pro accomplishments are concerned.

His time in the spotlight will come, I think. One of my favorite young Ds.

I am a little worried about the injuries but not overly so. I think he has a lot to offer but it's up to him to put together a few good seasons in a row and dominate. I think he has absolutely all the tools to be a two-way force.

Old
05-15-2005, 12:36 AM
HuskyFlames

I think Stuart has all the tools to be a top 10 defenseman. He would be a welcome addition to any team and a cornerstone for SJ's defense for the next 10 years.

Old
05-15-2005, 08:26 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Brad stuart seems to be seriously underrated on these boards...he had more points than any defenseman under 28 last year....
Marek Zidlicky (53), Bryan Berard (47), Paul Mara (42) were all under 28 and all scored more points than Stuart (39).

Old
05-15-2005, 08:38 AM
FlyersFan10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
I think Stuart has all the tools to be a top 10 defenseman. He would be a welcome addition to any team and a cornerstone for SJ's defense for the next 10 years.
I don't think he's the best defenseman in San Jose though. That distinction would have to go to Scott Hannan. If Hannan were given powerplay time, I'm pretty sure his numbers would rival Stuart's.

Old
05-15-2005, 09:39 AM
Foppa

Stuart fits into the same catagory as guys like Morris and Brewer. This trend fits so many players...

1. Burst onto the NHL scene at very young ages with tons of hype...Norris winning hype.
2. Struggle with consistancy and meeting expectations like many young players.
3. People start realizing that other less-hyped players in their age group may actually be better...Hannan, Kubina, etc. (not trying to start a comparison war...just the idea).
4. Totally lose their hype as the next few waves of superstuds arrive...Klesla, Bouwmeester, Pitkanen, Hamhuis, Phaneuf, Suter,et al. Enter the HF Boards twighlight zone...as Vlad said...not young enough to get all the potential lovers excited, not accomplished enough to mention in the 'best of' lists.
5. Start getting tagged with the underrated label because they have matured, aren't yet at their peaks and there was a reason they were hyped in the first place (even if they aren't really Norris calibur defensemen in the end).
6. Repeat as directed with any number of the new wave of stud young players...

Old
05-15-2005, 09:58 AM
BuppY

I think he's underrated. He has great deal of talent and a lot of skills but the only thing holding him back are the injuries but I think he's a great defenseman.

Old
05-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Chelios

I too think he underrated. I would take him over Hannan in a heartbeat. He IS San Jose`s best defenseman. I love Hannan, but he simply does not have the skating, offense or hitting that Stuart has. I would absolutely love it if the Hawks somehow got him.

Old
05-15-2005, 11:52 AM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
I don't think he's the best defenseman in San Jose though. That distinction would have to go to Scott Hannan. If Hannan were given powerplay time, I'm pretty sure his numbers would rival Stuart's.
No offense, but whenevere seeing both play..Stuart is a step above Hannan.

Old
05-15-2005, 11:55 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Scott Hannan is not PP material, his offensive game is decent at best. He is primarily a shut-down d-man, while Brad Stuart is more of a balanced, 2-way player.

Old
05-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I think he's underrated and next season should be a big one for him and he's got all the tools to be a top 15 defenseman in the NHL.

Old
05-15-2005, 12:11 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32
I think he's underrated and next season should be a big one for him and he's got all the tools to be a top 15 defenseman in the NHL.
I don't know if he's under-rated, most people look at him for what he is: a solid, 2-way defenseman with all the tools to be a force in this league.

Old
05-15-2005, 03:41 PM
sunb

Quote:

Brent Sopel who was 26-27 years old during the 03-04 season scored 42 points, more than Brad Stuart.

In addition to Brent Sopel, also Wade Redden, Marek Zidlicky, Dan Boyle, Zdeno Chara, Paul Mara and Bryan Berard.

Old
05-15-2005, 05:41 PM
freakazoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
Brent Sopel who was 26-27 years old during the 03-04 season scored 42 points, more than Brad Stuart.

In addition to Brent Sopel, also Wade Redden, Marek Zidlicky, Dan Boyle, Zdeno Chara, Paul Mara and Bryan Berard.
Sopel doesn't have the word "defence" in his vocabulary. Neither does Zidlicky or Berard, and to some extent Mara. Boyle played in Tampa, an offencive monster. Same goes for Redden and Chara. Stuart played in an offencively average team, played great D and wound up having 40 pts while giving away time to Hannan/Ratjhe/McLaren. Next year he will be a top 10 Dman in the league, and with San Jose on the rise, he will benefit from it. Also, he was stunning after the All-Star game, a sign of things to come.

Old
05-15-2005, 05:49 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakazoid
Sopel doesn't have the word "defence" in his vocabulary. Neither does Zidlicky or Berard, and to some extent Mara. Boyle played in Tampa, an offencive monster. Same goes for Redden and Chara. Stuart played in an offencively average team, played great D and wound up having 40 pts while giving away time to Hannan/Ratjhe/McLaren. Next year he will be a top 10 Dman in the league, and with San Jose on the rise, he will benefit from it. Also, he was stunning after the All-Star game, a sign of things to come.
Um,,,maybe read before you post? J=N was merely responding to the posters incorrect statement. He was not saying those players are better than Stuart.....

Old
05-16-2005, 12:35 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:

I should correct myself. As of 28 NOW, not as of 03/04. I think I forgot about Berard, who is 27 this year? Stuart was 24 at the end the 03/04 season, so I thought it was clear that i was talking about the players' current ages.

Old
05-16-2005, 01:49 AM
Shareefruck

Yup, Stuarts underrated. I also think Hannan's overrated right now, and that steals some of his spotlight too. Basically, he's a very solid defensive shutdown player who had a great playoffs. He isn't by any means an All-star. Stuart's San Jose's best defensemen..

Old
05-16-2005, 08:09 AM
Steelhead16

I think the fact that Stuart is "underrated" comes simply from the fact that he plays in the west and the majority of the people don't get to see him as much as we do on this side of the country. Same thing happens in baseball and basketball also. A majority of the posts so far backing Stuart have come from the Cal. Van. CA. and I'm sure that those people have seen Stuart play a lot more than say people in Boston. I used to live in the Bay Area and was a Sharks season ticket holder when I was there so the Sharks are still my team and I hope that Stuart remains a secret to the rest of the NHL fans because I feel pretty good about the Sharks being successful having Stuart and Hannan on the blue line for a long time to come. There was an earlier thread about where you would start building a team from. I said goalie because they only wanted 1 person but if I could pick 2 I would pick 2 young defenseman and I think Stuart and Hannan would be a great choice.

Old
05-16-2005, 08:23 AM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2agingmonk
Yup, Stuarts underrated. I also think Hannan's overrated right now, and that steals some of his spotlight too. Basically, he's a very solid defensive shutdown player who had a great playoffs. He isn't by any means an All-star. Stuart's San Jose's best defensemen..
I got the impression that Hannan is a defensive stalwart, while Stuart is more an allrounder (Norris Trophy winning) type of defender.

Did Stuart also had some very serious health issues over the last two seasons?

Old
05-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Zett'

Do you think that Stuart is (or will be ) better than Jovo?

Old
05-16-2005, 02:48 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomACE
I got the impression that Hannan is a defensive stalwart, while Stuart is more an allrounder (Norris Trophy winning) type of defender.

I think post has nailed it on the head. Hannan was praised coming out of his draft as a guy who does everything thing good but nothing great. However, he has shown that he is very effective in neutralizing clubs' top players. Stuart was billed as a future Norris winner coming out of his draft. That talk has slowed because of two injuries, a concussion suffered by a hit-from-behind by Jody Shelley and nagging ankle injuries. Last NHL season, Stuart was able to get back on track with all the future Norris talk and I think its only a matter of time before he learns the rest of the league and becomes one of the top defenders in the NHL.

05-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomACE

Huh? Yeah, that's what I meant..

Old
05-16-2005, 08:48 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I should correct myself. As of 28 NOW, not as of 03/04. I think I forgot about Berard, who is 27 this year? Stuart was 24 at the end the 03/04 season, so I thought it was clear that i was talking about the players' current ages.
Paul Mara is 25 and he had three more points.

Old
05-16-2005, 10:21 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt
Paul Mara is 25 and he had three more points.
Mara defense is no where close to Stuart's defensive game.

Old
05-16-2005, 10:47 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zett'
Do you think that Stuart is (or will be ) better than Jovo?
Hard to tell but there is somewhat similar talent.

Stuart is smarter, slightly less athletic. The skating doesn't flow like Jovo.

One aspect of Stuart that I find REALLY underrated is his physical game. But that's his fault because he doesn't uses it consistently. But that guy can lay really, really nasty, heavy hits. He will back in his zone and then suddenly switch gear, change direction and hit his men straight in a style that is a bit reminiscent of Scott Stevens.

For a highly skilled player, his physical side is promising and would make just about anyone salivate. With the string of health bad luck, this side of him has disappeared a bit but I hope it comes back and he perfects that, because it's an art and extremely valuable for a big minute D.

As of right now, Jovo is a better D, IMO. This is maybe colored a bit because I think defensemen in Vancouver are playing under a concept that do make them look really good. But Stuart has all the tools to become as good or better than Jovanovski. I am partial to smarts and in that respect he has an edge over Jovo.

Closed Thread