HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

All- Purpose IRS Thread.

Old
05-17-2013, 11:03 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Malone View Post
I agree that this scandal has teeth and Obama has not handled it well. What is most appalling is that the women who was in charge while the IRS was targeting conservative groups is now in charge of Obamcare.

What is going to hurt Obama the most is his and Carneys lies that they found out about this from the media last week. Treasury knew about this last June meaning that Geitner/Lew knew the IRS was targeting and denying conservative groups through the tax code. This was kept secret until after the election.

What really makes this stink is the way it was made public. Questions were planted at a Q&A with tax lawyers. Doesn't get much more shady than that.

Oh well, as long as the government uses it powers to target people you don't agree with everythings fine....
Have you read this thread at all? Basically they had the right to target those groups due to what they were filing for, they just broaden the brush a bit too much. But where is the outrage over known GOP groups getting tax exempt status and not being apolitical? That's a bigger issue.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:06 PM
missingmika

I wish I knew why the NFL should be tax exempt in the first place[

missingmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:08 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmika View Post
I wish I knew why the NFL should be tax exempt in the first place[
I did not know this.

Odd.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:11 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
Have you read this thread at all? Basically they had the right to target those groups due to what they were filing for, they just broaden the brush a bit too much. But where is the outrage over known GOP groups getting tax exempt status and not being apolitical? That's a bigger issue.
You're missing the point. You're acting like Progressive groups are not engaged in Political activity while being tax exempt and were not put thru the same scrutiny.

Old
05-17-2013, 11:29 PM
Johnnywhite

How come Douglas Shulman, IRS boss man until Nov 2012 was a Bushie appointee?

Johnnywhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:30 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnywhite View Post
Same reason he kept Gates on? He was believed to be doing a good job?

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:31 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
You're missing the point. You're acting like Progressive groups are not engaged in Political activity while being tax exempt and were not put thru the same scrutiny.
Is that really the point? Isn't it that this is a minor incident committed at the local level, or I missing something? I'm trying to figure out what this has to do with Obama. And why I should be outraged about it. It sort of is like that animated gif where the guy drops his bowl of cheez its and blames it on Obama.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:38 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
Is that really the point? Isn't it that this is a minor incident committed at the local level, or I missing something? I'm trying to figure out what this has to do with Obama. And why I should be outraged about it. It sort of is like that animated gif where the guy drops his bowl of cheez its and blames it on Obama.
I don't believe it has anything to do with Obama... yet. It may..or may not..I'm not sure. But I think it's more than just the Cincy office.. this does go to Washington.. New York Times has confirmed that atleast 2 in the Treasury Department knew about this in June of 2012.

Old
05-17-2013, 11:54 PM
Ugmo

If this ends up going all the way up to Obama, then admittedly that would be serious. As of right now it has the feel of Capitol Hill GOPers desperately trying to find something, anything with which they can tar Obama, now that the Libya thing they've been attaching their hopes to for the past several months has been deflated.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
If this ends up going all the way up to Obama, then admittedly that would be serious. As of right now it has the feel of Capitol Hill GOPers desperately trying to find something, anything with which they can tar Obama, now that the Libya thing they've been attaching their hopes to for the past several months has been deflated.
Benghazi looks more of a State Department problem in terms of the talking points and denial of additional security. I still think the WH needs to answer questions as to why the Counterterrorism Security Group wasn't involved on the night of the attack . Tho this is more of "mistakes" being made instead of any actual cover up or misleading.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-...sulate-attack/

In the end..my gut feeling is the IRS scandal doesn't go all the way up to Obama ..but I think it gets close...to some in his campaign. We will see.

Old
05-18-2013, 02:06 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

You publicly slag a law enforcement agency and are shocked you end up with a bullseye on your back?

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:10 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
They were. In fact, some faced public scrutiny before this incident by the previous administration. The fact you are trying to pin this on the Administration is laughable because it's not a Democratic or a Republican issue. It's an issue with how new groups get tax exemption.

Old
05-18-2013, 10:03 AM
missingmika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnywhite View Post
Shulman is actually a Democrat. Bush appointed him, knowing he was a Democrat because many people feel the IRS is one agency above politics due to its overwhelming importance to funding America. But he was never really a Democrat in terms of politician either, its just the party he affiliated with.

Obama has the opportunity to remove Shullman due to IRC 7803(a)(1)(D). However, they didn't, probably due to the major projects that were being implemented at the time, CADE2 and the Registered Return Preparer Initiative. So, Shullman stayed for th 5 years he was appointed (based on IRC 7803(a)(1)(B) and then left back in like November. Miller then took over on a 6 month acting detail. With the current political climate now, it could be awhile before someone is appointed and approved by the Senate to replace Shullman as full-time commish.

missingmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:12 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

What's funny about this is that it was essentially a situation of profiling - right-wing groups were being profiled in large part because of their political activities and anti-tax stances. A lot of these people are A-OK with profiling black people, or Hispanics (see Arizona bill), or Middle Eastern men. But when they're the ones being profiled, well now that's not cool.

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

http://www.politicususa.com/mitch-mc...-scandals.html

Half man half turtle Mitch McConnell tries to tie Obama to the IRS "scandal" and gets smacked down by David Gregory. Then they play a clip of McConnell from 25 years ago saying that political organizations are violating their tax exempt status, Gregory asks McConnell about his position on that now, and McConnell completely avoids the question. What a piece of ****.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:50 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
http://www.politicususa.com/mitch-mc...-scandals.html

Half man half turtle Mitch McConnell tries to tie Obama to the IRS "scandal" and gets smacked down by David Gregory. Then they play a clip of McConnell from 25 years ago saying that political organizations are violating their tax exempt status, Gregory asks McConnell about his position on that now, and McConnell completely avoids the question. What a piece of ****.
Whats so shocking about it? .. I don't see Dem Senators up in arms over Unions and their tax exempt status.. or Organizing for America or MoveOn.org or Media Matters....nor do I see IRS targeting any Progressive organizations in the same manner.

I think its fine to inquire about the activities that the organizations preform in order to determine tax exempt status... but the lengths the IRS went to is simply mind blowing and down right invasive.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:51 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

ANd for the record Mitch McConnell is a tool.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
nor do I see IRS targeting any Progressive organizations in the same manner.
Well maybe you should listen to something other than right wing media.

http://thesecularjurist.wordpress.co...t-wing-groups/

Old
05-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:

Well, he "reads" stuff posted here and that doesn't seem to be helping much, so............

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:18 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

500 to 3.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
500 to 3.
Those were just three examples; I'm sure there are more.

The whole process doesn't make any sense though. Just tax them all or don't tax any of them. Obviously groups like moveon.org are politically involved, and there's really no reason to not grant tax exemptions to teabaggers if you're granting them to moveon.org and Karl Rove's groups.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Those were just three examples; I'm sure there are more.

The whole process doesn't make any sense though. Just tax them all or don't tax any of them. Obviously groups like moveon.org are politically involved, and there's really no reason to not grant tax exemptions to teabaggers if you're granting them to moveon.org and Karl Rove's groups.
Im fine with that. But.. I have no problem granting them to small town tea bagger groups or small town progressive groups.

Old
05-21-2013, 02:01 AM
averagealex

Was there potentially some misconduct? Yes, but it seems to have been exaggerated by the conservative media (read: Drudge and Fox News). At this point though, I agree with the "boy who cried wolf" perspective. The GOP and its media allies keep latching on to executive branch screwups with the intent of implicating Obama. One would think that if any of these "scandals" were actually the result of Obama's negligence or incompetence it would have gained more traction. Instead, it seems like the Republicans are just desperate to impeach Obama and/or tait his legacy. I would be less skeptical about this whole thing if any previous "scandal" caught on among more than just the ultra-conservative, anti-Obama conspiracy crowd.

averagealex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 03:54 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Whats so shocking about it? .. I don't see Dem Senators up in arms over Unions and their tax exempt status..
Unions actually do more for society than these teabag movements. Or rather did and still do. But you don't see the Republicans up in arms against their churches receiving tax exempt status even though they are heavily politicized.

Old
05-21-2013, 05:22 AM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagealex View Post
Was there potentially some misconduct? Yes, but it seems to have been exaggerated by the conservative media (read: Drudge and Fox News). At this point though, I agree with the "boy who cried wolf" perspective. The GOP and its media allies keep latching on to executive branch screwups with the intent of implicating Obama. One would think that if any of these "scandals" were actually the result of Obama's negligence or incompetence it would have gained more traction. Instead, it seems like the Republicans are just desperate to impeach Obama and/or tait his legacy. I would be less skeptical about this whole thing if any previous "scandal" caught on among more than just the ultra-conservative, anti-Obama conspiracy crowd.
It's not a coincidence that these new right-wing faux scandals are popping up at a time when the economy is humming along pretty well. Republicans can't bash Obama on the economy with much effectiveness right now, and the cries about the debt are both stale and appear hypocritical given the Bush Administration record, so they're advancing the story that Obama is a power-hungry crook.