HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who should be signed to an entry level contract?

View Poll Results: Who should be signed to an entry level contract?
Brassard 4 7.69%
Yuen 21 40.38%
Both 24 46.15%
Neither 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-12-2013, 10:38 PM
trebendan

vCash: 500
Who should be signed to an entry level contract?

I voted both. Brassard because he had a good playoffs. Also he's a big, right handed shooting forward, which the Jets severely lack. Yuen is a good skater and can take O'Neill's spot on the reserve list.

Last edited by trebendan: 05-12-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: to explain why I voted as I did
trebendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:49 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

You forgot Vinny Saponari.

Also, Yasin Cisse, Jordan Samuels-Thomas, and Lukas Sutter are all likely to be in the mix, as they are all turning pro-this season (if they don't OA Sutter).

Last edited by garret9: 05-12-2013 at 10:57 PM.
garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:53 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Yuen 100%, he exploded offensively this last part of the season, and helped push his team to the PO.

Brassard, Cisse, Saponari, and JST are all RW. I'm curious to see what happens.
I could see Saponari and JST maybe getting the ELCs while the other 2 will probably either get AHL or not signed at all.
All 4 play a "Chevy" game. Saponary probably has the best vision/IQ. Brassard, JST and Cisse are pretty similar power forward, crash-the-net guys and shoot-a-lot.

Sutter I think will get either AHL or go to WHL for an OA season. His season was kind of (really) disappointing... although did improve as the season went (and he scored most of SASK PO goals).

Old
05-12-2013, 11:55 PM
jetsfan101

This may be a silly question, but what happens to these guys if we don't offer entry level deals to players leaving juniors? Do we lose their rights?

jetsfan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:58 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan101 View Post
This may be a silly question, but what happens to these guys if we don't offer entry level deals to players leaving juniors? Do we lose their rights?
We lose their rights if they aren't signed before they are "expired".

Here's the 2013 boys:
Saponari - Aug 15, 2013
Austen Brassard - June 1, 2013
Zach Yuen - June 1, 2013

although with Cisse (and maybe JST) leaving college he might be added (Holden help?)

Holden made an organization depth chart here:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1055193

Old
05-13-2013, 01:21 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post

Here's the 2013 boys:
Saponari - Aug 15, 2013
Zach Yuen - June 1, 2013

although with Cisse (and maybe JST) leaving college he might be added (Holden help?)

I wonder if JST is planning to leave or if he will stick around 1 more year?

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:49 AM
maximus tacitus
Mathmew Purrrr Oh!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I wonder if JST is planning to leave or if he will stick around 1 more year?
well after sitting out a year, struggling until after xmas, and Q going so deep, I would guess he'd likely stay

not sure how many players they lose this offseason tho

maximus tacitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:58 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:

Here's the 2013 boys:
Saponari - Aug 15, 2013
Zach Yuen - June 1, 2013

Those are the only players we lose the rights to this summer (RW Vinny Saponari, RW Austen Brassard, D Zach Yuen) guaranteed if not signed.

RW Yasin Cisse despite having left college is protected by the Jets until the 4th June 1st following their being drafted by the Jets/Thrashers (which would be June 1, 2014.)

Quote:
(ii) If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at
the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide
college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in
the Entry Draft, and does not remain a bona fide college student
through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall
retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the
fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft. The Club
need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such
rights.
LW Jordan Samuels-Thomas is an interesting case. I had thought the Jets would retain his rights next year no matter what, but it seems that since he was a redshirt transfer player for a year, he could become a free agent this summer with a variation on the Justin Schultz loophole. This June 1st is the 4th June 1st since he was drafted, so if he turns pro he can become a UFA then. However if he should choose not to turn pro, the Jets will protect his rights until August 15th, 2014.
I'll update my organization chart accordingly.

D Zach Yuen - June 1, 2013
RW Austen Brassard - June 1, 2013
RW Vinny Saponari - August 15th , 2013
RW Yasin Cisse - June 1, 2014
LW Jordan Samuels-Thomas - June 1, 2013 OR August 15th, 2014

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 03:06 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebendan View Post
I voted both. Brassard because he had a good playoffs. Also he's a big, right handed shooting forward, which the Jets severely lack. Yuen is a good skater and can take O'Neill's spot on the reserve list.
You know Yuen is already on the reserve list. The reserve list is a 90 man list that teams have of protected players.

You could maybe say Yuen could take O'Neill's contract spot, but I still don't think the Jets are going to give up on O'Neill quite that easily just yet. I still think his upside is much better than Chiarot, Sol.

Brassard will not be signed, IMO, he is a good prospect at all, has not progressed since junior no need to try up one of the limited contract spots on somebody like him.

Old
05-13-2013, 05:57 AM
Inflict
Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
You know Yuen is already on the reserve list. The reserve list is a 90 man list that teams have of protected players.

You could maybe say Yuen could take O'Neill's contract spot, but I still don't think the Jets are going to give up on O'Neill quite that easily just yet. I still think his upside is much better than Chiarot, Sol.

Brassard will not be signed, IMO, he is a good prospect at all, has not progressed since junior no need to try up one of the limited contract spots on somebody like him.
Brassard had a very good playoff run this year. I would not mind him signing an ATO/PTO contract with St John's. His offensive output was not nearly as good as the year prior, but I think that is because he was used more in a shutdown role. I don't think the Jet's drafted him for his offensive upside (more for his toughness than anything), so I could see the organization going either way when they decide to sign him or not.

Edit: I voted for both. Saponari was given an extra look by management when he played with St. John's this year, so I think he has a pretty good chance to be signed as well.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:14 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

vCash: 2206
Why not both? It's not like our prospect pool would be stacked as ****. Brassards playoff performance earned him another look in my eyes. Yuen deserves it anyway.

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:24 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

3 year commitment in exchange for a handful of half-decent games at the end of his 19 year old year? I will never ever understand that.

This guy could barely get .5 ppg in the OHL at 19. The most likely place for him will be in CIS in 2 years, IMO.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:55 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
3 year commitment in exchange for a handful of half-decent games at the end of his 19 year old year? I will never ever understand that.

This guy could barely get .5 ppg in the OHL at 19. The most likely place for him will be in CIS in 2 years, IMO.
Not really sure what happened to him. He put up 0.8 PPG as an 18 year old, nothing stellar, but nonetheless a nice jump from his draft year and right in line with the kind of progression you would expect. Maybe he was being used in more of a checking role this past season? Hard to say.

I voted both because I really don't see the harm in signing Brassard to an ELC, especially since the Jets are nowhere near the contract limit. I see it as a 50-50 proposition, could go either way.

I'd expect Yuen will spend the season in St. John's and would probably only be called up to Winnipeg if there were 4 or 5 defensemen out. Brassard (if signed) would probably split time between St. J's and Colorado.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:57 AM
trebendan

I got reserve list and contract list mixed up. I had meant the contract list - maximum 50. capgeek.com calls the contract list a reserve list. As it sits now, the Jets have 44 on their contract list, which includes this summer's UFA's, so I suppose there's plenty of room for both Yuen and O'Neill.

trebendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:00 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

Quote:

Here's the 2013 boys:
Saponari - Aug 15, 2013
Zach Yuen - June 1, 2013

For Yuen and Brassard..... when you say we lose their rights.....that means if we do not sign by june 1st I believe they go back into the 2013 draft

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

For those voting neither: why?

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:56 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 595
Quote:

Here's the 2013 boys:
Saponari - Aug 15, 2013
Zach Yuen - June 1, 2013

A player who opts for college after their draft year, the drafting team retains their rights for 4 years following their draft year, or after they leave school, whichever is longest.

ie the Schultz "loop-hole" was because he still had another year of college but it had already been 4 years from his draft so he became a free agent

cheswick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
A player who opts for college after their draft year, the drafting team retains their rights for 4 years following their draft year, or after they leave school, whichever is longest.

ie the Schultz "loop-hole" was because he still had another year of college but it had already been 4 years from his draft so he became a free agent
Not quite right. To put it little more clearly, think of it as August 15th following their senior year you hold the rights to for college players. However, if 4 years since draft day has passed and the player has not yet graduated the player has the one-time OPTION to become a UFA, however they MUST turn pro. If the player wishes to play their senior year they still remain property of the drafting team until August 15th following their graduating season.

So for example, had Justin Schultz not decided to leave college, he would still be Anaheim Ducks property until August 15th, 2013.

As such, as I explained above, Cisse is protected until June 1, 2014, where JST can use a variation of the Schultz loophole (it's usually used when a player plays a year Junior A pre college but post draft) since he was a redshirt on a transfer to become UFA on June 1, should he choose to do so.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:23 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

Nice, if all these guys continue to light it up the Rock should be a decent AHL team this year!

ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:15 PM
JetsHomer

Yuen not Brassard. No point wasting a contract spot. If he develops in a couple years just sign him as a FA.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Gm0ney

So 94% think the Jets should at least sign Yuen. Almost halfway through May - what they waiting for?

Gm0ney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
So 94% think the Jets should at least sign Yuen. Almost halfway through May - what they waiting for?
As Chevy would say, "there's a process ....."

Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:09 AM
Scheifele55

I voted both for 1 simple reason:

We have the 2nd worst prospect pool in the NHL which means the players we have right now should be replaced. Jason Jaffray should be cut loose as his time in the NHL has past, Travis Ramsay is another player. He is 30 and isn't in the mix to be called up. There as so many other players we should cut loose who have no shot in making the NHL.

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:02 AM
Inflict
Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burmistrov08 View Post
I voted both for 1 simple reason:

We have the 2nd worst prospect pool in the NHL which means the players we have right now should be replaced. Jason Jaffray should be cut loose as his time in the NHL has past, Travis Ramsay is another player. He is 30 and isn't in the mix to be called up. There as so many other players we should cut loose who have no shot in making the NHL.
According to who? Just curious. While we are definitely in the bottom 10, It's hard to think how Calgary, Toronto, Philly or Carolina are ahead of us.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:33 AM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 6000
Definitely Brassard so that I can have a Brassard on both teams I cheer for!

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote