HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

How much blame should the best players in the league get?

View Poll Results: How much scrutiny should a superstar get compared to other players?
More scrutiny than other players 35 62.50%
Less scrutiny than other players 2 3.57%
Equal scrutiny to other players 19 33.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-17-2013, 01:21 PM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
How much blame should the best players in the league get?

Say you root for a team that has one of the best players in the league on it. Say a Crosby, Karlsson, Lundqvist, or someone of the like. If they have a really bad screw up, say Crosby misses an empty net untouched or turns the puck over for a goal, or Karlsson turns the puck over for a goal, or Lundqvist let's in a softy, how much blame should they get?

What I mean, should they get as much blame as anyone else on the team (or at least not some 4th liner that gets 5 minutes), should they get more of a pass because they're usually there for the team and their positives way outweigh their negatives, or should they get more scrutiny because you have a higher standard for them?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:25 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

They get a disproportionate amount of the credit when things go right..

so they should get a disproportionate amount of blame when things go wrong.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Fire Dumboer

It should be equal but they get more.

Fire Dumboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:45 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Of course they should get more scrutiny. They're better players. Why should they be out there NOT being better than the scrubs?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:51 PM
HavlatMach9

I don't know if those players get blamed though. Crosby has been too successful, Karlsson is too young, and Lundqvist has been on flawed teams.

Very few players get blamed (Thornton is an obvious one). The good players get paid, and when those individuals don't perform at the playoffs stage continuously, they probably deserve more blame than normal.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:38 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
I don't know if those players get blamed though. Crosby has been too successful, Karlsson is too young, and Lundqvist has been on flawed teams.

Very few players get blamed (Thornton is an obvious one). The good players get paid, and when those individuals don't perform at the playoffs stage continuously, they probably deserve more blame than normal.
I meant on an individual game basis, not for the career. I'm sure there have been games for all 3 guys that were subpar.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

More scrutiny.

Michael Del Zotto, for example, has the IQ of a autistic cactus. I expect him to cost the Rangers games on pretty much a nightly basis.

I expect Lundqvist to save those same games, not cost us games which he played a big part in doing last night when he decided to knock a puck into his own net and not be able to handle another.

05-17-2013, 08:22 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
More scrutiny.

Michael Del Zotto, for example, has the IQ of a autistic cactus. I expect him to cost the Rangers games on pretty much a nightly basis.

I expect Lundqvist to save those same games, not cost us games which he played a big part in doing last night when he decided to knock a puck into his own net and not be able to handle another.
Yet you voted equal...

Old
05-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Affinity

Good god, this is just going to be confirmation bias for you to ***** about Lundqvist, when our whole team played like ass.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:12 AM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
CBC will take anything available for a reason to trash Karlsson.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:02 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Yet you voted equal...

You're right....I messed up

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:24 AM
Kershaw

Depends on context of the question.

Let's hypothetically say Lionel Messi plays for India at the WC.

He is the sole reason for team qualifying and even single handily gets them to the group stage with goals in the qualifiers throughout the 4 yrs before WC and the preliminary rounds in the WC. Say he goes scoreless against Spain, a tough 1st round draw. He should not get much blame because team around him is a couple tiers below him.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 04:15 AM
giddy up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
More scrutiny.

giddy up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 05:11 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Say you root for a team that has one of the best players in the league on it. Say a Crosby, Karlsson, Lundqvist, or someone of the like. If they have a really bad screw up, say Crosby misses an empty net untouched or turns the puck over for a goal, or Karlsson turns the puck over for a goal, or Lundqvist let's in a softy, how much blame should they get?

What I mean, should they get as much blame as anyone else on the team (or at least not some 4th liner that gets 5 minutes), should they get more of a pass because they're usually there for the team and their positives way outweigh their negatives, or should they get more scrutiny because you have a higher standard for them?
It has to be judged on an individual basis. I don't think Crosby missing an open net one time is the same thing as a guy like Phaneuf constantly making boneheaded defensive plays.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 08:25 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Depends on context of the question.

Let's hypothetically say Lionel Messi plays for India at the WC.

He is the sole reason for team qualifying and even single handily gets them to the group stage with goals in the qualifiers throughout the 4 yrs before WC and the preliminary rounds in the WC. Say he goes scoreless against Spain, a tough 1st round draw. He should not get much blame because team around him is a couple tiers below him.
Yeah but I don't consider a guy not scoring in one game a screw up. Especially considering that I'm going to assume with the rest of the team sucking Messi will probably get extra attention.

More like Messi had a chance to beat Spain but missed an empty net.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:25 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
It has to be judged on an individual basis. I don't think Crosby missing an open net one time is the same thing as a guy like Phaneuf constantly making boneheaded defensive plays.
Well I'm talking about one game, not a career. Plus Phaneuf is not the type of player I'm talking about.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:27 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Good god, this is just going to be confirmation bias for you to ***** about Lundqvist, when our whole team played like ass.
Seems like most people on this thread don't think it's such a terrible thing. I ***** about the guy that deserves the most scrutiny.

Old
05-19-2013, 09:25 PM
KreidertheGlider
MDZ for NYR Blueline

Quote:
Seems like most people on this thread don't think it's such a terrible thing. I ***** about the guy that deserves the most scrutiny.
Better players deserve more scrutiny because they are capable of more. When 1 doesn't preform to standards it is magnified because there is usually only 1 or 2 very good players on a team. If Crosby misses an empty net you can be upset about it but if he misses 2 you have a right to *****. No one never makes mistakes even Crosby.

Ot: Do you ever post about stuff other than *****ing about Lundqvist?

KreidertheGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:18 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

Option 1. They're the best players, they should play like the best.

05-20-2013, 12:30 PM
lboogie42*

well, less. because unlike other players, that star can make up for it, whether its in the same game or throughout the season. If kovalchuk turns it over for a goal, im upset, but i know he can get another goal within the same game and get 35+ over the season. If cam janssen turns it over and it leads to a goal, he deserves more scrutiny because he doesnt do anything to help the team as it is. so if a star allows a goal to happen, or misses an empty netter, he doesnt deserve more scrutiny, because of what he does to help the team. in fact, he deserves less. basically what im trying to say is that the good overshadows the occasional bad.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:53 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lboogie42 View Post
well, less. because unlike other players, that star can make up for it, whether its in the same game or throughout the season. If kovalchuk turns it over for a goal, im upset, but i know he can get another goal within the same game and get 35+ over the season. If cam janssen turns it over and it leads to a goal, he deserves more scrutiny because he doesnt do anything to help the team as it is. so if a star allows a goal to happen, or misses an empty netter, he doesnt deserve more scrutiny, because of what he does to help the team. in fact, he deserves less. basically what im trying to say is that the good overshadows the occasional bad.
But let's say the mistake is horrible and a big reason that the team didn't win the game. This is not a perfect example but as I've said many times, if my mediocre son brings home an F and my genius son brings home a D, I'm more disappointed in my genius son because I know that he's capable of much much more.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:19 PM
lboogie42*

Quote:
But let's say the mistake is horrible and a big reason that the team didn't win the game. This is not a perfect example but as I've said many times, if my mediocre son brings home an F and my genius son brings home a D, I'm more disappointed in my genius son because I know that he's capable of much much more.
2 different scenarios. Grades happen over a course of time. Now if the question was over a course of time id be pissed at kovy for not producing and playing bad. but if its in the heat of the moment, everyone is entitled to a mistake every so often. even the stars. and i choose to cut the stars more slack because of what they do to help the team during the game or season. 1 mistake shouldnt overshadow all the good.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 02:41 PM
dan1el

More. Just last night, I was ready to hop the boards and stab Karlsson in the neck with my plastic fork at the game for taking that slash. Best players should be performing the best, no exceptions.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote