HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: David Stern mentions Vancouver as having interest for NBA team

Old
05-17-2013, 06:08 PM
kes20

vCash: 500
OT: David Stern mentions Vancouver as having interest for NBA team

In the press conference yesterday for the Seattle/Sacramanto relocation, David Stern mentioned that he is aware of interest from cities such as Vancouver, Seattle, Kansas City, Anahiem and Virgina Beach for a possible NBA team. I wonder how much interest Aquilini has shown with the NBA. You have to think that with the new collective bargaining agreement where almost every team should break even with revenue sharing, luxury taxes etc. it would appeal a lot more now than ever before.

Aquilini would be able to fill at least 45 additional dates in an arena that he already owns. He could leverage the Canucks with a new team with regards to season ticket packages and corporate sponsorship and appeal to a huge market that may be priced out for the Canucks.

I think with a successful product, the team could do very well in this market. The game is more global than ever with tons of foreign players that would love to play in Vancouver. The population of the city is 50% higher than when we last had a team and the dollar is at par vs. $.65 in the 90's. The NBA's 2nd largest market after the U.S. is China and Vancouver is a great gateway to that market.

I would love to have another pro sports team here. Hopefully in the next 5 years Vancouver and Seattle both have NHL and NBA teams.

kes20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:10 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Only if we can draft Maple Jordan.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:11 PM
StringerBell

Doesn't matter, we're not getting a team.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:12 PM
mossey3535

I've been a basketball fan for a long time, and if we have to get a team through expansion, I say hell no.

I wasn't around these parts when the Grizz were here - how well was it supported?

Anyways, IMO expansion is a no-go. At least 2/3 of the NBA is garbage as it stands, to dilute it by 2-4 teams would make it even worse.

Put it this way - IMO the bottom garbage of the NHL is much better than the bottom garbage of the NBA.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

I'd be down for this if we had a young phenom who was exciting to watch.

If it's a ****** mix of castoffs then no dice. No point watching a mediocre team when the Miami Heat exist.

Huntershin Karuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
I've been a basketball fan for a long time, and if we have to get a team through expansion, I say hell no.

I wasn't around these parts when the Grizz were here - how well was it supported?

Anyways, IMO expansion is a no-go. At least 2/3 of the NBA is garbage as it stands, to dilute it by 2-4 teams would make it even worse.

Put it this way - IMO the bottom garbage of the NHL is much better than the bottom garbage of the NBA.
The Grizzlies still have a cult following from mid-80s and 90s babies who grew up watching the team but they were miserable here. Didn't have one winning season and drafted very poorly. And then there was the Steve Francis thing. Big Country Reeves pretty much sums up that franchise in a nutshell.

Seems like Memphis is doing alright now though.

Old
05-17-2013, 06:17 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Hey, Orpheus!

**** david stern, the grizzlies were doomed to fail before they even touched the court

VeteranNetPresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:19 PM
jigsaw99

yeaaa lets get Big Country back!

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:27 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post

I'd rather get an expansion team with no draft restrictions as opposed to a team that has a bunch of bad contracts.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

The only way a team would succeed here would be to get someone like a James/Rose/Durant to fill seats. Otherwise it's gonna end up the same way as last time.

Old
05-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Derp Kassian

Only way Seattle and small chanced Vancouver get NBA teams is through expansion. Not gonna happen for a league with that many dead weight franchises that won't move. Stern just mentions Seattle like the MLB did Tampa Bay back in the day, Vancouver has been mentioned abit even on Jay Mohrs podcast. You get the sense he regrets moving out of both cities greatly.

Derp Kassian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Vancouver would need a superstar to attract a crowd.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
The only way a team would succeed here would be to get someone like a James/Rose/Durant to fill seats. Otherwise it's gonna end up the same way as last time.
There's way more Asians and East Indians who live here now though. They love their basketball.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Derp Kassian

Vancouver doesn't need a superstar to attract a crowd they need decent management who wouldn't make the worst move possible at every turn. If we had this current Memphis team with no stars RA would be sold out every night.

Derp Kassian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:38 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by kes20 View Post
In the press conference yesterday for the Seattle/Sacramanto relocation, David Stern mentioned that he is aware of interest from cities such as Vancouver, Seattle, Kansas City, Anahiem and Virgina Beach for a possible NBA team. I wonder how much interest Aquilini has shown with the NBA. You have to think that with the new collective bargaining agreement where almost every team should break even with revenue sharing, luxury taxes etc. it would appeal a lot more now than ever before.

Aquilini would be able to fill at least 45 additional dates in an arena that he already owns. He could leverage the Canucks with a new team with regards to season ticket packages and corporate sponsorship and appeal to a huge market that may be priced out for the Canucks.

I think with a successful product, the team could do very well in this market. The game is more global than ever with tons of foreign players that would love to play in Vancouver. The population of the city is 50% higher than when we last had a team and the dollar is at par vs. $.65 in the 90's. The NBA's 2nd largest market after the U.S. is China and Vancouver is a great gateway to that market.

I would love to have another pro sports team here. Hopefully in the next 5 years Vancouver and Seattle both have NHL and NBA teams.
Aquilini did inquire about the Pacers a few years ago. It didn't get anywhere. I don't see an NBA team moving anytime soon. The Kings were the only logical candidate after the Hornets/Pelicans got local ownership. I think the Grizzlies will probably be on the move in 2021 when they have the first opening in their lease. David Stern did mention in a podcast with Bill Simmons that he regretted how things played out in Vancouver and got inquiries from a Vancouver group (didn't say who). I could see the league adding 2 teams after their TV contract is up.
http://www.sportingmadness.ca/2009/0...pacers-to.html

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Just another pawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
There's way more Asians and East Indians who live here now though. They love their basketball.
A losing product is a boring product. The Grizzlies were a horribly run team, and the league proved to be utterly bush league during that era. We could have had a city full of African Americans, and our attendance would have still dwindled.

Just another pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Hammer79

It seems like a no-brainer. Vancouver has Roger's Arena, no need to build like Seattle. There are plenty of basketball fans in Vancouver. I think even Stern recognizes that the Vancouver market got jobbed last time around by the Grizzlies botched expansion.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Bring back these badboys.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:07 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

It's likely not happening. Stern doesn't seem to want to come back. I still remember him saying that he didn't think they could come back because they screwed up the Grizzlies. Even though that line of thinking makes no sense.

Now, I think that a team here could work. The Grizzlies were supported very well for their first couple of seasons. And then it became clear that Stu Jackson and the other management pieces that the NBA put in place for us had absolutely no idea what they were doing and were pretty actively running the team into the ground. That's when people started tuning the team out. Then the Steve Francis debacle hurt more. Then the failed attempt to sell to that owner from St Louis hurt more. Then Michael Heisley hurt even more. Then he bailed on his commitment to the city and moved the team well before he said he'd ever think about it and by that time nobody was around to care.

From a personal prespective, even if a team were to come back, I've invested more time being a fan of the Raptors than I ever did with the Grizzlies. I'm not sure I could switch teams, nor do I think that a lot of others who lost the 1st team and had to find a new attachment could either.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 8 GP, 1-5-2 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 05-17-2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: put the "likely" in the first sentence because I realized how much of a jerk it made me sound like
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:09 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Bring back these badboys.

I still have my old Shareef jersey. It's far too small now since I was like 12 when I got it, but I still have it in my closet for nostalgia. Just a replica though so it doesn't have the sweet native trim on it. I'd wonder if they would release the Grizzlies name from Memphis to let a Vancouver team take it back (like it seems is going to happen with the Charlotte Bobcats taking the Hornets name back since New Orleans abandoned it.)

Old
05-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Dado

vCash:
We already have one team that can't win a championship - do we really need another one?

Old
05-17-2013, 07:17 PM
archangel archangel

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Doesn't matter, we're not getting a team.
NBA does not like PR nightmares and that is what happened last time. Too many players made it clear they did not want to be here and too many spoke to the media about the wasteland of Vancouver

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

No Grizzlies throwbacks. Let that franchise do their own thing. No need to return back to that failed past.

New name, new fans, new everything. And someone like Jeremy Lin would do absolute wonders for attendance for obvious reasons.

Old
05-17-2013, 07:26 PM
kes20

If we had the Memphis team with the success they are having, I can definitely see this market supporting them. The Grizz drew over 16k fans per game their first 4 seasons with a terrible product! To put that into perspective, even the Canucks weren't drawing fans during the late 90's when they weren't very good. In fact, the Grizzlies actually outdrew the Canucks in 1997/98 (15,802 vs. 16,108). The rest of the years were also comparable.

Winning brings fans. Without the drafting restrictions we had before and decent managment, an expansion team SHOULD get a superstar player. In the NBA one #1 overall draft pick can impact a team a lot more than in the NHL, MLB or NFL since there are only 5 guys on the court at a time who generally play the majority of the game. The projected #1 overall pick next year is Canadian Andrew Wiggins.

kes20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:28 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
No Grizzlies throwbacks. Let that franchise do their own thing. No need to return back to that failed past.

New name, new fans, new everything. And someone like Jeremy Lin would do absolute wonders for attendance for obvious reasons.
People show up to watch winners. The novelty of Jeremy Lin being Chinese would be temporary at best if it has any effect at all. It's like saying that if the Canucks were an awful team, but iced a roster made mostly of players born and raised in BC, or who played for the Vancovuer Giants or something like that, people would still show up. Some people might still show up, but the #1 way to put butts in the seats is to win games.