HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Komisarek: Do you buy him out or someone else?

Old
05-18-2013, 03:58 AM
FriedEgg

vCash: 500
Unfortunately there are now worse contracts on the the team then his in terms of length (24 and 84). A waste to use on komo but they will buy him out. They will cite the "good solider theory". A theory I do not agree with.

FriedEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

While there may be some merit in debating the value of using the 2 compliance buyouts on longer term contract mistakes, its highly probably that we have seen the last of Mike Komisarek, and one of Leafs will be utilized on him.

If Nonis chooses to buyout Liles instead (if he can't be traded first), and buries Komisarek in the AHL for another season until his deal expires on its own naturally, I'd be OK with that also.

05-18-2013, 08:50 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
Buy out Grabo instead ?
hopefully one of the two gets dealt, the other bought out
One of the most hilariously stupid hockey moves any organization would ever make. Are you in your teens or early 20's with little to no hockey background by chance? Serious question.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 09:04 AM
GoLeafsGo96

I'd probably buy out Liles, keep Komisarek on the Marlies, and wait and see what happens next year with Grabovski. If he can't improve his production you buy him out.

But I suspect Nonis will buy Komisarek out just to give him a chance to try and be an NHL player.

GoLeafsGo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 09:14 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo96 View Post
I'd probably buy out Liles, keep Komisarek on the Marlies, and wait and see what happens next year with Grabovski. If he can't improve his production you buy him out.

But I suspect Nonis will buy Komisarek out just to give him a chance to try and be an NHL player.
For one Liles is moveable, for two Grabo should be given another chance after a strong effort in the playoffs, for three Komisarek is a better player then some we had up in that series namely ROB, but is in the dog house so we will give him away or buy him out and he will be good for someone else. Bozak will probably walk or take low pay one or the other. Either is fine as Colborne is easily his successor if needed or we can simply slip Kadri up and slot him in 3rd with Grabo playing the second line.

Hopefully Ranger wants to play. ROB can walk.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:15 AM
yakfish
"Holy Mackinaw!"

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo96 View Post

Out of the 3 I'd hold onto Liles and try to deal Komi.

Grabo will get traded. Even thought he didn't post any number in the playoffs he looked really good IMO and I think he has the hoghest value of the 3. I think there would be a team that would be willing to take him on in hopes that a change of scenery would help him produce.

yakfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 09:29 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfish View Post
Out of the 3 I'd hold onto Liles and try to deal Komi.

Grabo will get traded. Even thought he didn't post any number in the playoffs he looked really good IMO and I think he has the hoghest value of the 3. I think there would be a team that would be willing to take him on in hopes that a change of scenery would help him produce.
It's been a half year, even some elite guys have slumped for entire years and GMs don't panic fire sale their guy. It makes no sense at all.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Bomber0104

I'd like to see one buyout earmarked for Komisarek and the other for either Grabovski or Liles.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 11:10 AM
FriedEgg

I don't see any trade value in grabovski unless the leafs retain salary. If that's the case, buying him out makes more sense.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:42 PM
HeroNtF

No point buying him out, unless they plan to be spending a bunch on free agents this year.. This money will be needed next year for kessels raise.

HeroNtF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:53 PM
SteelWind

If he cannot be moved (and, let's face it, we all highly doubt that he can be at his salary), then he should be bought out.

It does not follow, however, that the Leafs should necessarily use a compliance buyout to do it. A normal buyout can be used which still has a cap hit, simply to a lesser degree.

Verdict: Don't use a compliance buyout to get rid of Komisarek's contract unless you have to. Having both compliance buyouts available in 2014 may prove instrumental in being able to accomplish a deal during the course of the year that could not otherwise be viable.

SteelWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Offspring

lol buy out Grabovski? You kids are messed.

Offspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:07 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

If you need the capspace.

Personally didn't even think he was bad in his 4 games here... outplayed by Holzer/Kostka was a misconception lol.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:49 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Komisarek being bought out is a foregone conclusion. Nobody wants his cap-hit atm.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:53 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Poor asset management if you decide to buy-out a guy with one year left, especially since I do see him holding some value to cap floor teams and I think he's a capable #6 dman.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 05:33 PM
FriedEgg

What are the terms of a regular buyout? Wasn't there a limit set in the previous cba on how many you can do? Could the leafs use two compliance and one non compliance buyouts?

Old
05-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedEgg View Post
What are the terms of a regular buyout? Wasn't there a limit set in the previous cba on how many you can do? Could the leafs use two compliance and one non compliance buyouts?
I'm not aware of any # limits on regular buyouts. Teams should be able to use as many regular buyouts as they can want and can afford. All buyouts have to occur in a time window each June and of course compliance buyouts are limited to two for each team and have to be used in June 2013 and/or June 2014. NYR and Montreal were the only teams that already used up 1 of their 2 comp buyouts during a special preseason window earlier this year.

edit: There is a 2nd buyout window for regular buyouts related to a team's arbitration cases.

Last edited by Parkdale: 05-18-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: mentioning the 2nd buyout window
Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 06:19 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
While there may be some merit in debating the value of using the 2 compliance buyouts on longer term contract mistakes, its highly probably that we have seen the last of Mike Komisarek, and one of Leafs will be utilized on him.

If Nonis chooses to buyout Liles instead (if he can't be traded first), and buries Komisarek in the AHL for another season until his deal expires on its own naturally, I'd be OK with that also.
http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/P...ms-1-10-13.pdf

Quote:
During the Ordinary Course “Buy-Out” periods following the 2012/13 season and 2013/14 season,
in addition to any other Ordinary Course “Buy-Outs” a Club may elect to effectuate pursuant to
Paragraph 13 of the SPC, Clubs may elect to terminate and “buy-out” the already existing SPCs of
up to two (2) additional Players (in the aggregate over the two (2) years) on a Compliance basis (a
“Compliance Buy-Out”). Such Compliance Buy-Out(s) would be effectuated on the same terms as
are set forth in Paragraph 13 of the SPC, except that the amounts paid under such “buy-out(s)” will
not be charged against the Club’s Cap in any of the years in which the payments are made to the
Player. Amounts paid under such Compliance Buy-Out(s) will, however, be counted against the
Players’ Share during any League Year in which the “buy-out” payments are made. A Player that
has been bought out under these Compliance Buy-Out provisions shall be prohibited from re-joining
the Club that bought him out (via re-signing, Assignment, Waiver claim or otherwise) for the duration
of the 2013/14 League Year (if the Player was bought out in 2013) and the 2014/15 League Year (if
the Player was bought out in 2014).
Quote:
During the second “buy-out” period (following Salary Arbitration), a Club may not “buy-out” a Player
who: (i) was not on its Reserve List as of the most recent Trade Deadline; or (ii) has an AA that is
less than $2,750,000 (which amount shall be indexed to the percentage increase in ALS starting
with 2013/14 as the base year, with 2014/15 being the first year such increase shall take effect).
For example, if a Player with an AA of $5,000,000 is acquired by a Club that is able to execute a
buy-out during the second buyout period on the July 15 immediately prior to such second buy-out
period, he cannot be bought out by the Club during that second buy-out period.
Candidates:

Komi, Liles, Grabovski

All 3 would result in a cap hit of:

2013-14 $2,166,667
2014-15 $1,166,667

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/P...ms-1-10-13.pdf

Candidates:

Komi, Liles, Grabovski

All 3 would result in a cap hit of:

2013-14 $2,166,667
2014-15 $1,166,667
3 for the price of one 1 cap hit wise.. I see what you did there.

Compliance buyouts are a free get out of jail (no cap hit) do overs, for teams burdened with bad contracts. Using them for the best advantage of the team going forward is how they should be used.

Last edited by Mess: 05-19-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 09:05 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
One of the most hilariously stupid hockey moves any organization would ever make. Are you in your teens or early 20's with little to no hockey background by chance? Serious question.
I could call you a complete moron, but hey it's not worth it.

I'm not the only one in here thinking buyout for Grabo. It's becoming quite a popular idea in fact.

Last edited by ULF_55: 05-18-2013 at 11:25 PM. Reason: OT
p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 09:37 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:

I'm not the only one in here thinking buyout for Grabo. It's becoming quite a popular idea in fact.
Just because its popular doesn't mean the idea has any merit. To use our buy out so carelessly is not wise at all. It should only be exploited in trades imo.

Just play Grabs. He'll rebound towards his average while shutting down top lines. In fact, its more likely that Bozak will be allowed to walk than Grabs being bought out.

Last edited by ULF_55: 05-18-2013 at 11:25 PM.
The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:27 PM
thewave

Quote:

The only Moronic thing here is throwing 14m dollars out the window getting no asset which would require at least a top 5-10 first rd pick to have a good chance at maybe replacing him.

The cost to replace Grabo is a sure bet 2c 1st rd pick + 14m+ development time and the loss of the additional 1st and 2nd he could bring back if he gets hot again (trade) it's just crazy to buy out Grabs.

Komi, sure if you need too that's fine or just keep him buried if the money isn't needed.

Last edited by ULF_55: 05-18-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old
05-19-2013, 05:49 AM
JackJ

An amnesty buyout for Komisarek is a must.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 06:20 AM
sommervr

No need to buy out Komi if we don't need the cap space. I feel bad for the guy he is getting scratched from the Marlies (and deserves it).

Liles can be traded for a pick. Edmonton could use him.

Grabo should be given another chance. Buying him out then giving him away would just make us poorer and another team better. Grabo would go full out warrior mode every time we played him.

Those compliance buyouts should be saved so we can swing some deals where we use our rich team status to eat bad salaries in exchange for players

sommervr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 06:35 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommervr View Post
No need to buy out Komi if we don't need the cap space. I feel bad for the guy he is getting scratched from the Marlies (and deserves it).

Liles can be traded for a pick. Edmonton could use him.

Grabo should be given another chance. Buying him out then giving him away would just make us poorer and another team better. Grabo would go full out warrior mode every time we played him.

Those compliance buyouts should be saved so we can swing some deals where we use our rich team status to eat bad salaries in exchange for players
Exactly the last part. You waste it on some people's trash we can be gifted a good player maybe 2D or 1C.