HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Komisarek: Do you buy him out or someone else?

Old
05-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Hyperglide

vCash: 500
Only one season left. The only player massively overpaid and under-performing right now is Grabovski. I can see him being bought out.

Hyperglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:17 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommervr View Post
Those compliance buyouts should be saved so we can swing some deals where we use our rich team status to eat bad salaries in exchange for players
Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
Exactly the last part. You waste it on some people's trash we can be gifted a good player maybe 2D or 1C.
Quote:
During the second “buy-out” period (following Salary Arbitration), a Club may not “buy-out” a Player
who: (i) was not on its Reserve List as of the most recent Trade Deadline;
The question is whether you can buy-out a player during the 1st. buy-out period who was not on your Reserve List as of the most recent Trade Deadline?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Alain Racette

Komi has one year left... why waste a compliance buyout on someone in their final year?

All signs point to him leaving the organization in some way or another (having guys like Holzer in the pressbox for the playoffs pretty much says it all), but I really hope the Leafs don't use one of their "Get Out of Jail Free" cards on someone with one year left. Use it on guys with longer terms instead.

Unless the Leafs are lobbying hard for an elite player (or two) in free agency/trades and need to free up the salary, then I'm just in favour of the team sucking up his final year and parting ways at the end. It's not the like Leafs can't afford to do that...

Alain Racette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:06 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
I could call you a complete moron, but hey it's not worth it.

I'm not the only one in here thinking buyout for Grabo. It's becoming quite a popular idea in fact.
It was also quite popular to call Nazem Kadri a bust...

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
The question is whether you can buy-out a player during the 1st. buy-out period who was not on your Reserve List as of the most recent Trade Deadline?
I've looked but haven't been able to find any restriction on a team acquiring a player by trade after these playoffs and then using a compliance buyout on his contract this June. You would have to assume that any team contemplating this would check with the NHL to make sure everything is in fact kosher. Looks like an interesting June coming up, but I'll be surprised if the Leafs end up buying out a contract that they don't currently have.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:25 PM
zeke
#freewilly

the key is to trade Liles. if we can do that, we're set.

then we buy out Komi with one amnesty, and give Grabo one more year to prove this wasn't an off year, and buy him out next year if he stinks again.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 10:23 PM
leeaf83

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
honestly I don't think buying out Grabo is as ludicrous as some people make it out to be. That being said his strong playoff earned him another year IMO (though definitely he should be traded for a good return if possible).

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:24 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
honestly I don't think buying out Grabo is as ludicrous as some people make it out to be. That being said his strong playoff earned him another year IMO (though definitely he should be traded for a good return if possible).
It may depend on Bozak's agent.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:31 AM
GoodNewfieBoy
Jim,coach Leafs too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
the key is to trade Liles. if we can do that, we're set.

then we buy out Komi with one amnesty, and give Grabo one more year to prove this wasn't an off year, and buy him out next year if he stinks again.
Exactly what I was thinking. Komi gets bought out using 1/2 compliance buyouts. Liles gets traded if we can. If not 2/2 compliance buyouts will be gone. If not used on liles give grabo one more year to prove his worth which he deserves after the playoffs.

GoodNewfieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Komisarek is an obvious buyout candidate as he is no longer even an NHLer for the Leafs.

Speaks volumes to the contract status of the team and its bad contracts that they're other candidates worthy of compliance buyout consideration, making Komisarek not the worst contract to use it on, or the optimal choice perhaps.

05-20-2013, 10:38 AM
416Leafer

I wouldnt bother buying Komi out unless he's directly restricting us from adding a player we want, which I think is unlikely.

We should try and trade Grabo/Liles. If we cant, give them the season to try and up their trade value, and then try and move them at the trade deadline to a desperate team. If they havent been moved by next offseason, amnesty buy them out at that point.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:40 AM
JackJ

Liles - Can be moved. 3 years left at 3.875 is excellent contract for a team without a PMD.

Grabovski - No team will take on that contract without an almost equal salary coming back. If we fail on all other fronts in acquiring a center then keep him.

Komisarek - Burying him in the minors as a salary tactic isn't the type of message Nonis should be sending to other potential future UFA's. Not his fault Burke offered five instead of the three Beauchemin received.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:00 PM
GrizzLeaf

Komi's real salary is about 1 mill lower than his cap hit.

There must be at least one cap floor team that would take him for a bag of pucks.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLeaf View Post
Komi's real salary is about 1 mill lower than his cap hit.

There must be at least one cap floor team that would take him for a bag of pucks.
Don't think there is a market for that. There is only one slightly realistic cap floor team next year....NYI and they already have their chip in Tim Thomas' contract which if cashed would put them within $4M of next year's cap floor with about 8 players still be be inked.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Liles - Can be moved. 3 years left at 3.875 is excellent contract for a team without a PMD.

Grabovski - No team will take on that contract without an almost equal salary coming back. If we fail on all other fronts in acquiring a center then keep him.

Komisarek - Burying him in the minors as a salary tactic isn't the type of message Nonis should be sending to other potential future UFA's. Not his fault Burke offered five instead of the three Beauchemin received.
Burying a large contract in the minors is no longer in the GM's toolbox. The new CBA limits the cap relief at about $900K for buried players.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
The fact that players like Jessie Blacker and Korbinian Holzer were called up to sit in the press box for the playoffs tells you everything you need to know about Komisarek's future with the team.
Me agrees and this is true.
Komisarek won't be playing for us so getting rid of him anyway possible is the key also for us getting that first line uno center. Everything indicates that Nonis is able to get that expensive first line C for us. I feel good for this being made.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Komisarek is an obvious buyout candidate as he is no longer even an NHLer for the Leafs.

Speaks volumes to the contract status of the team and its bad contracts that they're other candidates worthy of compliance buyout consideration, making Komisarek not the worst contract to use it on, or the optimal choice perhaps.
I think it's short-sighted to view a player having an off year (Liles and/or Grabs) makes them compliance buyout candidates. Using this criteria, Franson would have been bought out last year (if he had a contract to be bought out). Komi on the other hand has been a multi-year underperformer.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:43 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
Burying a large contract in the minors is no longer in the GM's toolbox. The new CBA limits the cap relief at about $900K for buried players.
The tactic being saving an amnesty buyout for leverage in a trade not burying salary.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:57 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
I could call you a complete moron, but hey it's not worth it.

I'm not the only one in here thinking buyout for Grabo. It's becoming quite a popular idea in fact.
Its a popular idea because some people assume because MSLE have a lot of money $13 million means nothing to them. We had that going on here in Edmonton because people here felt Darrel Katz should pay for more of the new arena. "He's rich of course he will pay" Wrong. Until sports journalists or people connected with the business start saying clubs will eat that kind of money, its just an HF fantasy. Plus how many times in the last 20 years have players in a long term deal been dropped after one bad year? We have seen enough with the Leafs to know they don't act that quickly. Sell low, buy high makes GMs unemployed.

Consider the value difference in the club trading Grabo but retaining half the salary and cap hit. Paying $2.75 for the player he was prior to last season for the next 4 years would make him an attractive asset to any club not owned by Interactif I think that would bring them back a very solid asset from clubs who don't have a ton of cap space to upgrade but have an opening for a second line center. They just need to defer some salary from the new FA signings to 2014-2015 when Army and Tucker are off the books. That is the daring fix.

The cheaper solution is to let Bozak walk and play Grabo first line till he produces again. Then, unless he he absolutely shoots the lights out you deal him once he has some value back, the return is unimportant so long at they take the full salary, and then sign his replcement from the 2014 UFAs (Thornton, Marlowe, Stastny, Sedin, Cammalleri, Bergeron, Pavelski). If MG manages to suck the bag, even playing beside Kessel (which I can't see), you can still compliance him next summer. No incentive not to consider this option at all unless you think Bozak is generational talent who they can't afford to lose.

Whatever they choose, they are playing with real money, and clubs have shareholders to satisfy before they worry about fans. I don't think the owners or Nonis have the appetite for risk that Burke had, and I don't see a desperate and immediate need for cap space that would force them to throw away millions for no return.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 07:52 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

That's why we need to stop going idiotic and attempting to sign free agents. The Komi deal was viewed as an excellent signing and now we can't move him. We simply need to "play the kids" and not make offers.

I'd make an exception to Clarkson. Just leave Komi buried, give Grabs another chance, let MacArthur walk, and let the kids play. That said, the only way Grabovski is leaving is via trade.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:04 PM
Rob11

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedstars View Post
Not worth wasting and I still think he fits Carlye's system well as the 6th man and second unit pk
If that were the case, he would have played last season.

Rob11 is offline   Reply With Quote