HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBA loophole?

Old
05-17-2013, 09:46 PM
northernKing

vCash: 500
CBA loophole?

Does anyone familiar with the new CBA know if the following scenario is possible.
If a team has a player signed to a high cap hit but low salary like Briere ($6.5M cap hit but only paid a combined $5M the next two seasons) could they trade the player to another team and sign him after he is bought out? In this example could Philly trade Briere and a 1st rd pick to Toronto for Komasirek (1yr $4.5M) and have Toronto buy him out and sign him as an UFA? Philly would in turn buyout komaserik making him an ufa. So Philly spends the same on buyout but adds Briere back to roster for cheap and TO gets a 1st for similar amount if cash it would have spent on komaserik buyout

The likely hood is low in this happening as it basically amounts to Toronto buying a first rd pick but just wanted to know if its in fact legal? Thanks in advance for any input

Last edited by northernKing: 05-17-2013 at 09:52 PM.
northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:27 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I'm unclear if there is a clause or not for this. Holden my know, I have honestly never heard of this. That said, I could see the NHL envisioning this and putting a cluase in that a player must be X amount of time away from a team before said team can sign him following a buyout.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:30 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I'm unclear if there is a clause or not for this. Holden my know, I have honestly never heard of this. That said, I could see the NHL envisioning this and putting a cluase in that a player must be X amount of time away from a team before said team can sign him following a buyout.
Ya that's what I'm thinking too. Had a couple buddies over to watch the game and we were just discussing possible loopholes in the CBA.

Old
05-17-2013, 11:09 PM
tsanuri

The full CBA is not out for us to view so nobody really knows.
But there has been speculation that the buyouts must occur from players that were on your team at the time of the new CBA.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:13 PM
CNS
A World Alone

From the sounds of it, it seems 100% fine. Holden definitely knows more about the CBA than me and I guarantee he can't answer this one. No one can. But the only real provision we know of is if you buy someone out, you can't sign them for one year.

CNS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:43 PM
northernKing

Thanks for the insight guys!

Old
05-18-2013, 05:47 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Since most buyouts do count against the cap, it would not really be a loophole unless it was used with a compliance buyout.

There is nothing specific in the CBA about this situation. However the NHL has included stipulations in the 05 buyout that gives them WIDE range of authority over "cap compliance". If a team attempts this with a compliance buyout, I imagine the NHL will crack down ala Kovalchuk contract.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 09:44 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Since most buyouts do count against the cap, it would not really be a loophole unless it was used with a compliance buyout.

There is nothing specific in the CBA about this situation. However the NHL has included stipulations in the 05 buyout that gives them WIDE range of authority over "cap compliance". If a team attempts this with a compliance buyout, I imagine the NHL will crack down ala Kovalchuk contract.
We don't know this as the current CBA is the only one that discusses compliance buy outs and we don't have the current CBA available yet. The old CBA allowed for buouts I believe nly for a week or so after it was signed, not the folowing two seasos, like this one does.

Last edited by kingsfan: 05-18-2013 at 09:55 PM.
kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote