HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF Game 2 | May 17 2013 | Caesar Must Die Edition

Old
05-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by great1 View Post
Yes, Iginla did have a no-trade clause but I don't understand why he even put Boston on his list when he nixed the deal. It was clear he only wanted to go to Pittsburgh. It would put a smile on my face if the team he rejected ended up putting his dream team out (providing we don't beat Pittsburgh).
The only reason that the trade went down the way it did, IMO, was because Feaster assumed Iggy would go to Boston because they are a quality team with a good shot at the Cup

Once it was announced Iggy agent probably phones up Feaster and told him that Iggy had not agreed to anything and that he wants to go to Pittsburgh

There's no other reason as to why everyone in Boston thought the trade was done (as per McGuire the following morning on the Team 1200): Feaster had told Chiarelli that it was a done deal without checking with Iginla

It is possible that Iginla said yes then changed his mind but I find that to be unlikely

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
The only reason that the trade went down the way it did, IMO, was because Feaster assumed Iggy would go to Boston because they are a quality team with a good shot at the Cup

Once it was announced Iggy agent probably phones up Feaster and told him that Iggy had not agreed to anything and that he wants to go to Pittsburgh

There's no other reason as to why everyone in Boston thought the trade was done (as per McGuire the following morning on the Team 1200): Feaster had told Chiarelli that it was a done deal without checking with Iginla

It is possible that Iginla said yes then changed his mind but I find that to be unlikely
Possibly, but I can't believe that Feaster would take the time to open major negotiations with Boston without even consulting the player in question. Seems incredibly bush league that he would do so.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:25 PM
AC2012*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post
Iginla rejected them. He had the right to, but Bruins brass, players, and fans know he said no to playing there. So, yeah, he did do something to them.
So every player that doesn't sign a contract with a team is essentially screwing over that franchise and their fanbase, by your logic? He didn't do a thing wrong.

AC2012* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:28 PM
AC2012*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Patrick Harris View Post
Possibly, but I can't believe that Feaster would take the time to open major negotiations with Boston without even consulting the player in question. Seems incredibly bush league that he would do so.
Iginla listed 4 teams that Feaster could negotiate with, 3 of which made offers... This a) drove up the return for Calgary and b) gave Iggy a backup plan if his number one choice (which I'd have to imagine was Pittsburgh) didn't submit an offer. And it wouldn't shock me at all if Feaster stated it was a done deal to Chiarelli before getting final approval... the guy's an idiot.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:30 PM
AC2012*

Quote:
Iginla rejected them. He had the right to, but Bruins brass, players, and fans know he said no to playing there. So, yeah, he did do something to them.
So by your logic, every time a free agent doesn't sign a contract with a team, he is essentially screwing over that franchise and their respective fanbase? Don't think so. Iginla didn't do anything wrong.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Patrick Harris View Post
Considering what could have went down with RoR offer sheet I wouldn't put this past him

For the record I do think that, according to what the incomplete (at the time) CBA stated regarding waivers, Feaster could have argued (and would have been correct) that RoR wouldn't have had to go through waivers in that scenario.

What that did show us is that Feaster assumes a lot rather than do his due diligence and run things through the appropriate channels to find out if everything is going to work the way he thinks it will: he's very trigger happy.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2012 View Post
So every player that doesn't sign a contract with a team is essentially screwing over that franchise and their fanbase, by your logic? He didn't do a thing wrong.
No.... the reason Calgary fans may feels screwed over is because Iginla gave a list, then decided "I'll go to where the return is smallest because that's where I want to go" and refused to go where the return was largest.

If he only wanted to go to Pittsburgh - it should have been made clearer from the beginning.

People can keep saying Feaster is stupid - I doubt he's stupid enough to say done deal to Boston if Iginla told him "Boston is only a second option used for bargaining or if Pittsburgh doesn't come forward with one".

A free agent hasn't played for the team for a long time, isn't their captain, their leader in the community.

If Alfredsson did this, I'd be disappointed like Calgary fans now.

The Iginla situation involves a) an entitled brat, b) a guy lacking some serious courage/confidence, c) someone who's as dumb as Feaster and Calgary owners and didn't realize "here's my list" usually means - I'll go to any of these 4 teams.

Ether Prodigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 02:29 PM
AC2012*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reg Season SC View Post
No.... the reason Calgary fans may feels screwed over is because Iginla gave a list, then decided "I'll go to where the return is smallest because that's where I want to go" and refused to go where the return was largest.

If he only wanted to go to Pittsburgh - it should have been made clearer from the beginning.

People can keep saying Feaster is stupid - I doubt he's stupid enough to say done deal to Boston if Iginla told him "Boston is only a second option used for bargaining or if Pittsburgh doesn't come forward with one".

A free agent hasn't played for the team for a long time, isn't their captain, their leader in the community.

If Alfredsson did this, I'd be disappointed like Calgary fans now.

The Iginla situation involves a) an entitled brat, b) a guy lacking some serious courage/confidence, c) someone who's as dumb as Feaster and Calgary owners and didn't realize "here's my list" usually means - I'll go to any of these 4 teams.
He wasn't saying that Iginla screwed over Calgary, he was saying Iginla screwed over Boston (which he didn't). And the difference between Boston's offer and Pitt's is negligible (Boston's 1st rounder was going to be conditional).. we were happy with what we got. And in terms of only giving a list of one team, that in no way would have helped drive the price up and would have handcuffed Feaster.

Old
05-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Mika Hoffmanijad

vCash: 966
Quote:
Iginla listed 4 teams that Feaster could negotiate with, 3 of which made offers... This a) drove up the return for Calgary and b) gave Iggy a backup plan if his number one choice (which I'd have to imagine was Pittsburgh) didn't submit an offer. And it wouldn't shock me at all if Feaster stated it was a done deal to Chiarelli before getting final approval... the guy's an idiot.
Why didn't iginla just submit a list with one team? instead of wasting time, and screwing around with gm's this a professional league, if you make a list of teams to go to, be prepared to go to any of those teams, and bostons return was way higher then s#itburghs

Mika Hoffmanijad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
He wasn't saying that Iginla screwed over Calgary, he was saying Iginla screwed over Boston (which he didn't). And the difference between Boston's offer and Pitt's is negligible (Boston's 1st rounder was going to be conditional).. we were happy with what we got. And in terms of only giving a list of one team, that in no way would have helped drive the price up and would have handcuffed Feaster.
Feaster and Chiarelli have gone on record to say the 1st-round pick wasn't conditional. Boston's offer was far superior to Pittsburgh's deal.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

From what I understand is Iginla gave his 4 teams. Feaster made a good trade with Boston. Iggy said he would rather go to Pittsburgh, which led to speculation that Crosby called him and this is a major no no.

So Feaster told Iggy he was happy with the deal Pittsburgh was offering so it was done.

I look at this like the Fisher trade. Rumour had it that there was a better trade offer for Fisher than what Nashville offered. BM did the trade to Nashville out of respect for Mike.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Iffyiffiffer
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senz View Post
Why didn't iginla just submit a list with one team?
How was he supposed to know Pittsburgh would make an offer at all?

Quote:
if you make a list of teams to go to, be prepared to go to any of those teams
Why? He's supposed to get shipped off elsewhere like a prized goat just because? He chose what team he preferred because he earned that right through a provision negotiated in good faith. He's not just some asset. He's a human being with choices trying to live his life.

He owes Boston nothing, and he probably should have left Calgary for somewhere competitive well before now. As much as I hate the phrase, Boston should get over it and stop being bitter like a man rejected by a pretty girl. I'm sure the players mostly have.

Iffyiffiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 04:00 PM
WhiteLight*

This is all on Feaster. He is dumb. He obviously should have made 100% sure Iggy would waive before telling Boston it was done. How does a guy like him get multiple jobs as a GM in the NHL?

WhiteLight* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 04:56 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
Not screwed over - rejected. He was offered to dance by two and he chose to dance with one. One was accepted, one was rejected. I've never insinuated Iginla did anything wrong or slighted them, he simply chose another suitor, if you will, and that's some 'bulletin board' material if the Bruins wanted it to be and something for fans and the media to talk about. Sheesh.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 05:03 PM
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
This is all on Feaster. He is dumb. He obviously should have made 100% sure Iggy would waive before telling Boston it was done. How does a guy like him get multiple jobs as a GM in the NHL?
He had a Cup and 7 pretty good years in Tampa...

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 09:33 PM
AC2012*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senz View Post
Why didn't iginla just submit a list with one team? instead of wasting time, and screwing around with gm's this a professional league, if you make a list of teams to go to, be prepared to go to any of those teams, and bostons return was way higher then s#itburghs
You're not a smart man, are you?

Old
05-18-2013, 09:34 PM
AC2012*

Quote:
Not screwed over - rejected. He was offered to dance by two and he chose to dance with one. One was accepted, one was rejected. I've never insinuated Iginla did anything wrong or slighted them, he simply chose another suitor, if you will, and that's some 'bulletin board' material if the Bruins wanted it to be and something for fans and the media to talk about. Sheesh.
My apologies if I took you the wrong way- it's hard to tell a person's tone over the internet. But after that trade, Boston fans were acting like a 5 year old who had a toy taken from them, calling Iginla every name in the book. It wasn't a personal slight, and if you were to get mad at anyone, I just wish they would have gotten mad at the media for calling a trade a done deal before the trade call was made.

Old
05-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
I'm not a fan of Feaster, but he did ask Iginla for a list of teams to which he would accept a trade. Boston was one of those teams. Pittsburgh also made an offer that Feaster said he could accept. However, Feaster had every right to take the Boston deal, but instead he went back to Iginla to ask him what was his preference - Boston or Pittsburgh. We all know what Iginla chose in the end. Feaster was doing his part to respect the wishes of arguably the best player in franchise history.

Where Feaster erred was telling Chiarelli that he would take the deal and it was final. Then again, maybe he didn't say it was final, but said he would accept the deal if Iginla would agree. It may have been the Boston organization that leaked the information that the deal was done.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:37 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 0
Either way, in my mind, in the rare event Pits gets a ring (lol, no chance the way they're playing), Iginla's ring is tainted. I hate these retirement mercenary type deals where the league old timer gets traded at the deadline and a free run with the odds on cup favorite for a freebie ring.

You want a ring just before you retire? Then sign with a strong team in the summer and take your chances. Don't jump on the leading horse just before the finish line.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 11:18 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Either way, in my mind, in the rare event Pits gets a ring (lol, no chance the way they're playing), Iginla's ring is tainted. I hate these retirement mercenary type deals where the league old timer gets traded at the deadline and a free run with the odds on cup favorite for a freebie ring.

You want a ring just before you retire? Then sign with a strong team in the summer and take your chances. Don't jump on the leading horse just before the finish line.
He jumped on before the end of time trials. The real race is the playoffs and he'll be in Pittsburgh for every playoff game.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 11:19 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
He jumped on before the end of time trials. The real race is the playoffs and he'll be in Pittsburgh for every playoff game.
Keep telling yourself that.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 11:22 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Keep telling yourself that.
should the trade deadline just be the start of the season then?

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 11:37 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrawlFan View Post
Michalek is a lot like Hossa in that he is a great complimentary player but cannot be a go to guy in the playoffs.

He needs to be insulated by a first line winger.
I flat out disagree. IMO trading Hossa away was the biggest mistake our franchise has ever made.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 11:39 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
I flat out disagree. IMO trading Hossa away was the biggest mistake our franchise has ever made.
We got a great player for him. Not sure I agree it was a mistake.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 11:43 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
We got a great player for him. Not sure I agree it was a mistake.
I think Hossa has proven he is the better player compared to Heatley in every facet of the game. We screwed Hossa over (Well Muckler did) and I guess karma bit us in the ass with Heatley.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote