Notices

Toivonen brought back up!!!

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2003, 01:21 PM
Magnus Fulgur

vCash: 500
Toivonen brought back up!!!

Okay, this doesn't bode well for Potvin. According to bostonbruins.com, Toivonen was brought up to back up Shields in the 9/26 game vs. the Smurfs in Manchester. Couldn't Raycroft have taken the backup role? Or is MOC thinking "heck with it, lets go with Raycroft/Toivonen if they're the best two guys!" I hope so.

Here's the line up, according to the Bruins' site:
Steve Shields
Hannu Toivonen

Sean O'Donnell – Jeff Jillson
Dan McGillis – Rich Brennan
Zdenek Kutlak – Milan Jurcina

Sergei Samsonov – Sergei Zinovjev – Mike Knuble
P.J. Axelsson – Brian Rolston – Rob Zamuner
Andy Hilbert – Patrice Bergeron – Ivan Huml
Michal Grosek – P.J. Stock – Doug Doull

I like that they're giving Zino the reigns. That's really cool. Maybe Joe will use his time off to wake up.

I still don't believe the "it's only preseason" argument. Because if the season started tomorrow we'd be looking at an early golf season.

Go B's.

Oh, yeah, and Doull got called up too. Could Samuelsson or McCarthy have played in his place?

Old
09-25-2003, 01:34 PM
DBL

That would be awesome if they did want to start Raycroft and Hannu has the opening night goaltenders but there's no question Hannu needs to play. Sitting there in a backup role even in the NHL level won't speed up his development. This is just a wake up call for Potvin to give him alittle more rest, and Raycroft I would think is getting rest too just incase Potvin blows his next game again.

I like those lines they've put together for the defence and offence. Jillison now with O'D after having trouble with McGillis. Samsonov and Zino together again, looks like there trying to get some chemsity with these two. And the line with the 3 youngin's, it will be good to see which one stands out the most on that line.

And wouldn't it be something if Shields started playing good. I mean what would they do then?

Old
09-25-2003, 01:42 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowL
That would be awesome if they did want to start Raycroft and Hannu has the opening night goaltenders but there's no question Hannu needs to play. Sitting there in a backup role even in the NHL level won't speed up his development. This is just a wake up call for Potvin to give him alittle more rest, and Raycroft I would think is getting rest too just incase Potvin blows his next game again.
Can't agree more. I'm more than excited to see Hanu play in the NHL, just not this season, and at all even at the end if I had my way(cuz being in Portland, Ill get to see him more with Providence anyway :p ). Give him 55-60 games in P-Town and let him fight Andy at next season's camp.

Old
09-25-2003, 01:42 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
I like Hannu a lot..

but I'd be shocked ,completely shocked, to see him in Boston this year for anything but emergency purposes..

He has a lot of skill... but he still needs to adjust to the smaller NHL rinks and the much faster pace of the game...

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
09-25-2003, 01:45 PM
sagginb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
I like Hannu a lot..

but I'd be shocked ,completely shocked, to see him in Boston this year for anything but emergency purposes..

He has a lot of skill... but he still needs to adjust to the smaller NHL rinks and the much faster pace of the game...
I agree totally...but am starting to feel Toivonen and Raycroft would probably be alot better than Shields and Potvin...Sad but very well could be true!
Problem...is it the right thing for Hannu???
Probably not!

Old
09-25-2003, 01:46 PM
brianscot

It's not all that rare for a player to be sent down early and then recalled for a look see.

It's easy to annoint Toivonen or Raycroft as the goalies of the future, but truthfully, Raycroft has proven nothing in the NHL, and Toivonen has proven nothing in North America.

Optimism is a wonderful thing and both players evidently have great promise, but tossing them both head first into the NHL foray would be way too much responsibility.

Old
09-25-2003, 01:49 PM
Eat It

That's good to see.

I wonder what's up with Doull coming back though. He hung in with Cairns, who's as tough as they get, but is no threat to see significant time with the big club. Maybe MOC is just guarding McCarthy and Stock till the season begins.

Old
09-25-2003, 01:51 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagginb
I agree totally...but am starting to feel Toivonen and Raycroft would probably be alot better than Shields and Potvin...Sad but very well could be true!
Problem...is it the right thing for Hannu???
Probably not!

Yeah,,,, but OJT at the NHL level... man... I dunno.

If the season started today based on what I seen, heard and read...

I'd go with Raycroft as Number 1 and either Shields or Thomas backing him up....

Potvin stinking so far really screws up everything.

The ideal situation in P Town would be Thomas and Hannu splitting the chores this year , IMO....

I didn't expect Potvin to be the second coming of anybody...but I also didn't expect this....I'm guessing he gets another week or two to rectify himself and if not watch for MOC to become desperate..

Old
09-25-2003, 01:54 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscot
It's not all that rare for a player to be sent down early and then recalled for a look see.

It's easy to annoint Toivonen or Raycroft as the goalies of the future, but truthfully, Raycroft has proven nothing in the NHL, and Toivonen has proven nothing in North America.

Optimism is a wonderful thing and both players evidently have great promise, but tossing them both head first into the NHL foray would be way too much responsibility.
Couldn't agree more. In talking to a Finnish fan on HF chat, he said Toivonen is still a long ways off from being a good NHL'er. He wasn't too glowing about him.

And I've loved Raycroft since his Sudbury days - but he aint ready for #1 duty yet.

Old
09-25-2003, 02:01 PM
b-orr-k

Quote:
Yeah,,,, but OJT at the NHL level... man... I dunno.

If the season started today based on what I seen, heard and read...

I'd go with Raycroft as Number 1 and either Shields or Thomas backing him up....

Potvin stinking so far really screws up everything.

The ideal situation in P Town would be Thomas and Hannu splitting the chores this year , IMO....

I didn't expect Potvin to be the second coming of anybody...but I also didn't expect this....I'm guessing he gets another week or two to rectify himself and if not watch for MOC to become desperate..
This is what happens when you neglect the cage year after year. If HT is good enough then play him. Sometimes fans and GMs buy into the he's too young we might ruin him stuff. I think that only applies in baseball. Barasso played when he was 18 in a wide open league where scores were 6-4 on a regular basis. I just hope the Potvin contract gives them an out that if he gets cut he gets a minimal amount of money.
I believe that Raycroft has shown that he is capable of better NHL calibre play than anyone else at this point. We KNOW that you can't win with Shields or Potvin or Thomas. What do they have to lose?

Old
09-25-2003, 02:07 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-orr-k
This is what happens when you neglect the cage year after year. If HT is good enough then play him. Sometimes fans and GMs buy into the he's too young we might ruin him stuff. I think that only applies in baseball. Barasso played when he was 18 in a wide open league where scores were 6-4 on a regular basis. I just hope the Potvin contract gives them an out that if he gets cut he gets a minimal amount of money.
I believe that Raycroft has shown that he is capable of better NHL calibre play than anyone else at this point. We KNOW that you can't win with Shields or Potvin or Thomas. What do they have to lose?

I agree about going with Raycroft at this point...I simply don't think HT is NHL ready . I think Raycroft is...

and Barrasso.. yeah..I watched him a lot when he played for Acton Boxboro..and yup he did it...

I also agree about not worrying about "ruining"..As stated in my Bergeron posts. I think he maybe able to play at this level now,

Again I can only base my opinion on what I've seen in person and factor in some of those opinions of others I have a lot of trust and respect for.

Old
09-25-2003, 02:10 PM
brianscot

Barrasso also played behind a very solid Buffalo defensive team during that era. (Ramsey, Hajt, Playfair, Virta, Housely, etc.)

This isnt the case in Boston at all.

I agree that whomever is best suited for full time duty should get the job, but knee jerk reactions after two bad exhibition games doesnt make healthy sense.

As in all sports, hockey players usually decide their playing time.

Old
09-25-2003, 02:24 PM
mattkaz

With Raycroft and Toivenen,what is our goaltending situation in say.... 5 years? Knowing out history, we'll probably let Hannu and Raycroft go and sign a 37 year old Roman Cechmanek. Alright, but seriously, what do you think?

Old
09-25-2003, 02:27 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
one other thing before I forget...

I hope Hannu is up for at least one of the televised games.
For those that haven't seen him in person..

I can't do justice to how fast this kids legs are...

and his style.. The most profound butterfly I have ever seen.. I even said "ouch" when he went down and I think HG thought I had hurt myself..

Old
09-25-2003, 03:44 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Shell Shocked

I don't think this means that Hannu is up to stay, but it's odd. I understand Sully wanting to give Potvin the day off to get his head on straight...but darnit, Raycroft should be back in there at least as a back up.

BTW, Muzz is out in LA celebrating the birth of a new daughter! Congrats!

Old
09-25-2003, 03:50 PM
Concessionaire
My Precious

I continue to think that that Bs goaltenders going into the season will be Raycroft and either Shields or Potvin. Shields/Potvin will start as the #1, but Raycroft will finish the season in the top spot.

(As we saw last year, goaltending performance depends quite a bit on the play of the defense. Needless to say I'm kinda scared by the whole situation right now.)

Potvin will improve over his two awful outings so far, but I don't think anyone here or in management is thrilled by what they've seen from him so far; I suspect that MOC and company were planning on getting rid of Shields when they obtained Potvin, but now the situation isn't so clear. There's no way they're getting rid of Raycroft, and I don't believe he's going back to the minors.

Meanwhile, they'll want Hannu in Providence to get playing time.

Old
09-25-2003, 03:57 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Welcome

Welcome aboard, Frugal Franchise! Good first post!

And you have the BEST avatar. I love how the spokes spin BACKWARDS.

Q: Your profile says that you're a musician. What do you play?
Q2: How did you find this board?

Take care,
wickedbsfan

Old
09-25-2003, 04:02 PM
Concessionaire
My Precious

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbsfan
Welcome aboard, Frugal Franchise! Good first post!

And you have the BEST avatar. I love how the spokes spin BACKWARDS.
Thanks man.

I must confess to being a bit of a KPD fan; that's how I got here.

I used to post on the ESPN Bruins board, but lack of moderation made it unbearable. I've enjoyed the reading the discussions here. Much better signal-to-noise ratio.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:07 PM
Concessionaire
My Precious

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbsfan
Your profile says that you're a musician. What do you play?
Computer-based music...electronic pop.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:46 PM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal Franchise
Computer-based music...electronic pop.
electronic pop eh?

I would love to hear some of your work.

BTW is anyone else kind of hoping that Potvin will bomb in a couple more pre-season games. This way MOC will be forced to trade for a better goalie (Burke) or claim one in the waiver draft (Joseph).

Maybe the Bruins will realize that Potvin is washed up just like they did with Tim Cheveldae a few years back when they quickly dispatched him.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:51 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscot

agree 110%. one look no further then the leafs during ballards reign. they screwed the development of SOOO many young players...goalies too. patience is key. we got the goods in the system (as far as defense/goaltending) ...lets not screw with their confidence. if we got to call bob beers and cheesie out of retirement then do it...just dont mess with our youngins IMHO.

Old
09-25-2003, 06:41 PM
nhlbruin

Quote:
one other thing before I forget...

I hope Hannu is up for at least one of the televised games.
For those that haven't seen him in person..

I can't do justice to how fast this kids legs are...

and his style.. The most profound butterfly I have ever seen.. I even said "ouch" when he went down and I think HG thought I had hurt myself..

I wholeheartedly agree!!! His positioning and poise is awesome for a guy his age with such little experience! I, for one, would not at all mind seeing him backup Raycroft this season, providing they continue to be the two best goalies in camp/preseason. i don't see the team hoisting the cup with felix and shieldless, so why the hell not?

Hannuuuuuuuuuuu!!!
Sorry...I love that!

Old
09-25-2003, 07:29 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-orr-k
Why do you lump Thomas in with Shields and Potvin as preventing the Bruins from winning? What has he done to deserve this moniker?

I'm not suggesting we throw the rest of the goaltenders to the wolves in favor of TT. But doesn't he have a winning record in the limited opportunity he was given with the B's?

Old
09-25-2003, 07:48 PM
Raimo Sillanpää

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlbruin
I wholeheartedly agree!!! His positioning and poise is awesome for a guy his age with such little experience! I, for one, would not at all mind seeing him backup Raycroft this season, providing they continue to be the two best goalies in camp/preseason. i don't see the team hoisting the cup with felix and shieldless, so why the hell not?

Hannuuuuuuuuuuu!!!
Sorry...I love that!
I could see Hannu ready by the halfway mark, he needs 30-40 games tyo adjust to the small ice.. after that, depends if he's ready and if he can take it mentally

Old
09-25-2003, 08:07 PM
CFABoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo Sillanpää
I could see Hannu ready by the halfway mark, he needs 30-40 games tyo adjust to the small ice.. after that, depends if he's ready and if he can take it mentally
No...Hannu needs to start in AHL for 1 full year at least..look what happened to Dipietro, Cloutier, Blackburn, etc. - all were rushed to the NHL

Closed Thread