HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Another Underrated Player

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2005, 01:18 PM
Bruins4Ever

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Bruins4Ever
Another Underrated Player

Lubomir Visnovsky. He's big, can lead a powerplay, decent defensively, can play physically, and is relatively young. Anybody else think this way?

Old
05-15-2005, 01:20 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Ever
Lubomir Visnovsky. He's big, can lead a powerplay, decent defensively, can play physically, and is relatively young. Anybody else think this way?
Well, he's not big by any means, but he is a very solid defenseman.

Old
05-15-2005, 01:22 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Since when is 5'10'', 188 considered big? He is a pretty good defenseman, though.

Old
05-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I think he's a pretty solid defenseman.

Old
05-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Big? He is like 5'10". I think my cat weighs more than he does. He is one of the smallest top four dmen in the NHL.

Physical? I've seen tons of LA games over the years (I work a mile from where they play), and can't say I've every seen him lay down a hard hit. He is so tiny that he just bounces off other players.

He does have good offensive skills, and is much better defensively than people give him credit for. But, with his size, he is probably better thought of as a #5/#6 guy that you use in limited circumstances.

Old
05-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Bruins4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
Since when is 5'10'', 188 considered big? He is a pretty good defenseman, though.
Sorry, I saw another website that listed him as 5'11 200 pounds.

Old
05-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sorry, I saw another website that listed him as 5'11 200 pounds.
That is still small by NHL's current standards.

Old
05-15-2005, 01:26 PM
Bruins4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Big? He is like 5'10". I think my cat weighs more than he does. He is one of the smallest top four dmen in the NHL.

Physical? I've seen tons of LA games over the years (I work a mile from where they play), and can't say I've every seen him lay down a hard hit. He is so tiny that he just bounces off other players.

He does have good offensive skills, and is much better defensively than people give him credit for. But, with his size, he is probably better thought of as a #5/#6 guy that you use in limited circumstances.
Are you kidding me? 5th or 6th d-man?

Old
05-15-2005, 01:34 PM
12# Peter Bondra

Quote:
I see him more as an offensive D-man (somewhere around 3rd or 4th D-man).

Id like to see what he could do on a playoff contending team though. I think he could be a 45 point D-man on a good team.

Old
05-15-2005, 01:35 PM
BlackBirRd5

I can agree with Visnovsky being under-rated - he's got very strong puck savvy and skates equally well, has a good point shot and is bright on high with the PP.

I saw him play against the 'nucks in the last NHL game I attended 2 seasons ago and was very impressed with his hockey smarts and combining his offensive game with a sound understanding of defensive positioning, accounting that his lack of size does not allow him to play overly-physically in his own end.

I think he's a very good player and of great value to the Kings

Old
05-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Did you even read my post?

I think he is offensively talented, but he gets overpowered down low. I wouldn't want him in my top four for that reason.

And, btw, an argument could be made that he was basically the #5 guy in LA last season. He had less even strength ice time than Norstrom, Dempsey, Corvo, and Modry. In years past, he was 6 or 7th on the team in that category.

So, you may consider him a top notch "big" dman, but he is certainly not seen that way by LA management.

Old
05-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
wtf .. a 3rd /4th defensemen ...
IMO he's at least on par with Kaberle and A.Markov ...
I would take him with my team without thinking twice .. I think size is getting overrated BIG time on this board ... Visnovsky is a STUD !!

IMO you're confusing yourself with Vitaly Vishnevski who's nothing more than a 3rd/4th defenseman !!

Old
05-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Injuries cut his icetime last year. But the LA brass sees him as their best all-around defenseman.

Old
05-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Injuries cut his icetime last year. But the LA brass sees him as their best all-around defenseman.
If you look at the ranking in terms of icetime, he was something like 6th on the defense in even-strength time in 2001-2002. In 2002-2003, he was 4th. Last season, he was fifth. So, the bottom line is that he has never seen top pairing minutes in LA, and for the most part, has been been used like a #5 or #6 dman.

Old
05-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Pepper

I see Visnovsky as a above average 3rd-4th d-man, smallish and not too physical (you can almost call him soft) and defensively average at best.

Good skater and can run the PP.

Old
05-15-2005, 03:18 PM
MS

Quote:
If you look at the ranking in terms of icetime, he was something like 6th on the defense in even-strength time in 2001-2002. In 2002-2003, he was 4th. Last season, he was fifth. So, the bottom line is that he has never seen top pairing minutes in LA, and for the most part, has been been used like a #5 or #6 dman.
Last season, he was 2nd in icetime on the Kings overall (24:02/game) and third when you just use ES/SH icetime, behind Modry and Norstrom.

Nathan Dempsey is listed by NHL.com as having more icetime, but he picked up almost all of it playing in Chicago ... after being dealt to LA his icetime dropped significantly. Corvo played slightly more than Visnovsky at ES, but didn't play SH. I think it's safe to say Visnovsky is ahead of both on their depth chart.

Old
05-15-2005, 03:27 PM
RandomCanuckFan

Quote:
I agree with everything except the part about him being big.

Old
05-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS
Last season, he was 2nd in icetime on the Kings overall (24:02/game) and third when you just use ES/SH icetime, behind Modry and Norstrom.

Nathan Dempsey is listed by NHL.com as having more icetime, but he picked up almost all of it playing in Chicago ... after being dealt to LA his icetime dropped significantly. Corvo played slightly more than Visnovsky at ES, but didn't play SH. I think it's safe to say Visnovsky is ahead of both on their depth chart.
I'll buy the Dempsey argument (because I really have no way of checking - and I don't recall seeing Dempsey on the ice a lot for the Kings), but you've still got a guy who is 4th on the team in ES time (behind the likes of Modry and Corvo) with a defense corps decimated by injuries and the loss of Schneider.

At best, he was number 4 in even strength minutes. So, you've essentially got a player who is used primarily on the special teams (because of his skating and puck carrying abilities). If he was truly a top pairing dman, or even an excellent top four guy, he ought to be seeing a lot of even strength time in critical defensive situations.

Old
05-15-2005, 03:33 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

He is a good 3/4 if you pair him with a physical guy.

Old
05-15-2005, 03:43 PM
salty justice

Quote:
I'll buy the Dempsey argument (because I really have no way of checking - and I don't recall seeing Dempsey on the ice a lot for the Kings), but you've still got a guy who is 4th on the team in ES time (behind the likes of Modry and Corvo) with a defense corps decimated by injuries and the loss of Schneider.

At best, he was number 4 in even strength minutes. So, you've essentially got a player who is used primarily on the special teams (because of his skating and puck carrying abilities). If he was truly a top pairing dman, or even an excellent top four guy, he ought to be seeing a lot of even strength time in critical defensive situations.

I can verify that the extremely one dimension Dempsey actually lead the Hawks in ice time at the time he was traded. Sputter had a hard on for the guy for some reason.

Id take Vis any day over "Dumpey" (Hawk fans nickname for him). Ive got to see both guys play a lot and Vis is usually pretty solid and consistant, but nothing too special. Certainly a serviceable #4.

Old
05-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
I see Visnovsky as a above average 3rd-4th d-man, smallish and not too physical (you can almost call him soft) and defensively average at best.

Good skater and can run the PP.
You can call Lubo anything you want, but you can't call him almost soft, he's no where near it. Sure he doesn't lay huge checks, and isn't as big as Aaron Miller or Matty Norstrom, but he is just as physical as those guys and would use his body more in one game than 6'2 219lb Jaroslav Modry would the whole season. Hell if you can call anyone soft on our blueline it would have to be Miller. He's should come with a freaking "Fragile" tag on his jersey. Really if the season started today I would consider our d pairings to look like this.

Norstrom-Visnovsky
Dempsey-Miller
Corvo-Quintal/Gleason/Grebeshkov/Holland

Old
05-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Bruins4Ever

I see Visnovsky as a serviceable #2 d-man, an excellent #3 and an outstanding #4. What do you think his trade value is?

Old
05-15-2005, 11:40 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
I see Visnovsky as a serviceable #2 d-man, an excellent #3 and an outstanding #4. What do you think his trade value is?
Tough to say, he's entering what is considered by most to be the prime of his career, and yet he seems to still have an abundance of offensive potential. I dont reall know.

Old
05-15-2005, 11:53 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
You can call Lubo anything you want, but you can't call him almost soft, he's no where near it. Sure he doesn't lay huge checks, and isn't as big as Aaron Miller or Matty Norstrom, but he is just as physical as those guys and would use his body more in one game than 6'2 219lb Jaroslav Modry would the whole season. Hell if you can call anyone soft on our blueline it would have to be Miller. He's should come with a freaking "Fragile" tag on his jersey. Really if the season started today I would consider our d pairings to look like this.

Norstrom-Visnovsky
Dempsey-Miller
Corvo-Quintal/Gleason/Grebeshkov/Holland
Well said. Vis is tough as nails. He's anything but soft. I've seen him get nailed so many times by hits, sticks, pucks or whatever. After the initial contact you would swear that he was going to be out for some time or at least the rest of the game, but almost each and everytime he's comeback after a quick trip to the dressing room.

Last edited by Legionnaire: 05-16-2005 at 12:25 AM.
Old
05-15-2005, 11:59 PM
maximil

one of the most underrated league wide in my opinion.

Closed Thread