HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Around the NHL Discussion - Part III

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2014, 11:49 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Around the NHL Discussion - Part III

It appears to be a good time to make the transition.

Here's Part II.

Old
02-07-2014, 12:31 AM
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott

vCash: 50
Sad news about Letang if he does indeed miss the remainder of the season.

"It is self-evident that St. Louis affected me more deeply than any other environment has ever done. I feel that there is something in having passed one's childhood beside the big river, which is incommunicable to those people who have not. I consider myself fortunate to have been born here, rather than in Boston, or New York, or London."- T.S. Eliot
Old
02-07-2014, 10:46 AM
taylord22

Wow, Letang had a stroke...out at least 6 weeks

Old
02-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

That really sucks for Letang. I'm not a huge fan of him as a player, but I would never want to see any player have a stroke. Hope he gets better and has a full recovery.

Old
02-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Vladys Gumption

A stroke for Letang? Holy ****. My first thought was some kind of cancer when they said it was an illness. That's scary stuff. The thought of a stroke never crossed my mind for an athlete at his physical peak in his 20s. Just goes to show anything can happen. Has anybody heard how serious it was?

Old
02-07-2014, 11:30 AM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Oh my...

Old
02-07-2014, 12:20 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Bummer

Old
02-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Wow hope Letang gets better.

Old
02-07-2014, 01:19 PM
The Note in Ky
Bow to the pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
A stroke for Letang? Holy ****. My first thought was some kind of cancer when they said it was an illness. That's scary stuff. The thought of a stroke never crossed my mind for an athlete at his physical peak in his 20s. Just goes to show anything can happen. Has anybody heard how serious it was?
Not serious. He'll be put on an anticoagulant, like aspirin or warfarin probably, and be just fine. Definitely rare in an athlete.

Could be unrelated to most strokes caused by atherosclerosis - he unlikely has high cholesterol, but it is still possible to have it manifest so early if it's a genetic disorder.

My conspiracy theory? He was injecting steroids and got an air bubble in the syringe and it traveled to his brain = stroke.

EDIT: After reading the main board thread it looks like Letang actually has a patent foramen ovale (PFO). Everyone is born with a PFO but within a week a normal baby's closes. It's there because in pregnancy the baby's lungs don't actually do anything, so the PFO bypasses the lung circulation. A lot of PFO's are diagnosed within a couple weeks because the baby will turn blue, they aren't getting enough oxygenated blood from the lung circulation. Unfortunately if the PFO is small enough the baby has no symptoms, thus a ton of the population has a PFO and has zero idea. Chances are 1/4 of you reading this has at least a small PFO and is unaware.

Problem with a PFO is it allows an embolus (chunk of a blood clot, part of a cholesterol plaque from eating too much McDonalds, or even an air bubble accidentally introduced to the blood) to cross over from the venous system (from the legs -> heart) into the arterial supply (heart -> brain and rest of body). Unfortunately the brain is the place that gets the most blood, so the embolus/clot gets stuck in a small artery and boom, no blood supply to the portion that artery supplies. Next thing you know you can't do anything that part of the brain functions in.

For those of you that don't know about strokes, remember FAST. Face Arm Speech Time. If you have a stroke one side of your face screws up. You can't move your arm on the same side your face is screwed up on. You can't speak normally (jumbled, slurring, no sense). And it's extremely important that you get the person to the ER ASAP = Time. When it comes to strokes time is of the essence. The longer the patient has a clot stuck in their brain the longer the brain is cut off from blood supply. That means dead brain tissue and loss of bodily functions.

Obviously I love medicine, I'm glad I chose it as my career. I know it may sound pretentious that I'm spilling all this mumbo jumbo, but if it helps one person save someones life, then I did my job. Don't hesitate to tell me to **** lol it won't hurt my feelings.

Last edited by The Note in Ky: 02-07-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old
02-08-2014, 06:36 PM
rrude

Not pretentious at all, as someone who suffered a DVT/PE episode (leg blood clot that breaks up and sends clot pieces to the lungs) this year from air travel, I wish I had known more about the dangers of flying and what that pain in my leg might have meant. Might have spared me the whole scary hospital ordeal. Keep informing the people!

And for the rest of you, get up and move around on longer flights, do the in-seat exercises, and drink water.

Old
02-11-2014, 12:53 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Pre-emptively, as you know it's going to come up in a badly misinformed way ... the "how many points will it take to make the playoffs?" question.

In the West it's on pace to be 91. Both Dallas and Phoenix are 8/9 separated by the ROW tiebreaker and are at .552 which is a pace of 90.528 points.

This makes sense since after the 04 lockout with the introduction of the extra point the average NHL point percentage is .561, or 92 points. The 8th/9th teams in a 14-team conference should be slightly below that mark.

Now as teams get a little more desperate for that final spot and make pushes I wouldn't be shocked if the actual number rose a tad and got to 93 or 94 but basically it'll be right in line with what it always is. Keep in mind that all but 5 teams are still not impossibly out of it. Nashville is 25th overall in the league and at .508 don't trail the final playoff spot of .552 by that much. So while teams will make pushes nearly every team should have an incentive to play hard every night.

(I personally love the medical info btw. You don't get old in this world until you stop learning new things.)

Old
02-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Not pretentious in the least Ky.

91 seems lower than usual but that could just be because the Blues already have 84

Old
02-11-2014, 10:13 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Pre-emptively, as you know it's going to come up in a badly misinformed way ... the "how many points will it take to make the playoffs?" question.

In the West it's on pace to be 91. Both Dallas and Phoenix are 8/9 separated by the ROW tiebreaker and are at .552 which is a pace of 90.528 points.

This makes sense since after the 04 lockout with the introduction of the extra point the average NHL point percentage is .561, or 92 points. The 8th/9th teams in a 14-team conference should be slightly below that mark.

Now as teams get a little more desperate for that final spot and make pushes I wouldn't be shocked if the actual number rose a tad and got to 93 or 94 but basically it'll be right in line with what it always is. Keep in mind that all but 5 teams are still not impossibly out of it. Nashville is 25th overall in the league and at .508 don't trail the final playoff spot of .552 by that much. So while teams will make pushes nearly every team should have an incentive to play hard every night.

(I personally love the medical info btw. You don't get old in this world until you stop learning new things.)
This is purely a gyst of things post. I think there are less interconference games late on the season. Not sure how to calculate the density there. But, that could have an effect on overall rate of point accumulation, since it becomes more of a zero sum proposition (of the variety that supports 3 point games).

Anyway, I just wonder if there is any impact on the points projections which could in part be based on a part of the season where western teams could obtain points faster than they can later, by not having to play each other as much. Probably negligible.....but I used to be a mathematician so I think about this stuff.

Old
02-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Hey P9 what was that site you posted last year when we were looking at projections for playoffs? Was really great to look at. Broke down how likely a team was to finish in any given spot based on what they did over their final stretch of games.

Old
02-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
Hey P9 what was that site you posted last year when we were looking at projections for playoffs? Was really great to look at. Broke down how likely a team was to finish in any given spot based on what they did over their final stretch of games.
Was it this one? http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

Old
02-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
That's it! Thanks

Old
02-12-2014, 09:49 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Random question:

Does anyone know the last possible date of the Stanley Cup Playoffs? My wife and I are planning a summer trip to Europe to see her family and we're haggling over the departure date because obviously I'm building the trip around the Blues winning the Cup in Game 7. (My wife will certainly punch me in the face after Varlamov allows two goals and makes 300 saves in a first round sweep)

But seriously, I only can find the date of when the playoffs begin but not the last possible date. I thought that information could be found pre-playoff scheduling?

Old
03-02-2014, 03:21 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Watching Karlsson play defense is making me cringe

Old
03-02-2014, 03:33 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

It's tough for me to tell these teams apart.

Old
03-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Iron Fist
Fear the Backes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I'm having the same issue.

Old
03-02-2014, 04:39 PM
superblues
I'm being sarcastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Just put the Van-Ott game one. Wow! Neither of those jerseys televise well. Wonder if it's as tough to tell them apart in person.

Old
03-03-2014, 11:42 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Looks like Mouslon is on the move. Where ever he goes, it won't scare me.

Old
03-03-2014, 12:45 PM
taylord22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Random question:

Does anyone know the last possible date of the Stanley Cup Playoffs? My wife and I are planning a summer trip to Europe to see her family and we're haggling over the departure date because obviously I'm building the trip around the Blues winning the Cup in Game 7. (My wife will certainly punch me in the face after Varlamov allows two goals and makes 300 saves in a first round sweep)

But seriously, I only can find the date of when the playoffs begin but not the last possible date. I thought that information could be found pre-playoff scheduling?
Between the 2nd and 3rd week of June, I think. I don't know that they can release estimates this early due to building availability. June 23rd ish should be a safe bet.

Old
03-03-2014, 08:04 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Looks like Mouslon is on the move. Where ever he goes, it won't scare me.
I wouldn't say that. He's a good scorer, if a team like LA got him he would help them a lot.

Old
03-03-2014, 08:24 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
I wouldn't say that. He's a good scorer, if a team like LA got him he would help them a lot.
He's easy to defend IMO, especially with how we play.

Closed Thread