HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Blues Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2013, 03:24 AM
Robb_K

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daley Tarasenkshow View Post
At times, I actually think Petro is a better defender than JayBo.
I think all the time that he's a better defender than Bouwmeester (although the latter is pretty darned good, as well). Both of them are highly underrated just because they aren't always hitting their opponents. They both position themselves very well, anticipate well, use their skating speed and quickness well, use their sticks well, and also have good understanding of body leverage. They both win a lot of battles for the puck, and both use their bodyweight well to fend off opponents. I have been very surprised to see that Bouwmeester HAS been a physical player since his arrival with The Blues. But, Pietrangelo is one of the very best defenders in The NHL. In puck battles, he almost always comes up with the puck, and with his great balance, he almost always ends up upright on his skates, despite hard contact (attempts to knock him over) by opponents.

He should win The Norris Trophy this season or next.

Old
11-07-2013, 05:41 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Vannelli with a 3 assist night for Medicine Hat, 4-12-16 in his 15 games now.

Binnington is 0-2 with a .911 sv% in his for 2 games for Kalamazoo in the ECHL.
I saw that. Awesome! I wonder how his defensive game is though. Lots of d-men in juniors that don't know how to play inside their own blue line. Not saying he IS one of them, just curious about that side of his game. You see some gaudy numbers in juniors and look in to them..... Basically skating 4 forwards and 1 defender.

For instance, a draft pick of Colorado they let go with great numbers, size, and toughness Troy Rutkowski had 20 goals and 40 assists for Portland last year. Free agent pick up by Ottawa. I thought wow...we ought to pick him up...then I looked into him a bit more.... nope!

Old
11-07-2013, 06:30 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
I saw that. Awesome! I wonder how his defensive game is though. Lots of d-men in juniors that don't know how to play inside their own blue line. Not saying he IS one of them, just curious about that side of his game. You see some gaudy numbers in juniors and look in to them..... Basically skating 4 forwards and 1 defender.

For instance, a draft pick of Colorado they let go with great numbers, size, and toughness Troy Rutkowski had 20 goals and 40 assists for Portland last year. Free agent pick up by Ottawa. I thought wow...we ought to pick him up...then I looked into him a bit more.... nope!
I'm wondering the same thing. I've a friend who has seen him play a couple of times and says he has been fine defensively, keeps thins very simple and transitions quickly. I'd be shocked if he was that polished in all his games.

The fourth forward point is a worry that I alluded to earlier. If he is this productive over the course of the season then he could probably solely rely on his offensive game to get through a second year in the WHL, which wouldn't really help his development. The good thing with Vannelli is that we could put him in the AHL next season as a 19 year old. Chances are that that might not be the best option, but it is nice to have all options open when it comes to progressing his game.

Old
11-09-2013, 07:16 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

I'm hoping this may break the jinx. It sure seems like the Blues prospects are not putting up points like in year's past. No Ratties or Jaskins leading their teams. Is our prospect pool just not that talented scoring wise?

Old
11-09-2013, 07:41 AM
tfriede2

Quote:
I'm hoping this may break the jinx. It sure seems like the Blues prospects are not putting up points like in year's past. No Ratties or Jaskins leading their teams. Is our prospect pool just not that talented scoring wise?
I think it has more to do with our prospects graduating or becoming pros, along with no first rounder last year (and picking Vannelli with our first 2nd vice a forward). Taking out Schwartz and Tarasenko would kill any team's forward prospect pool. Then we have our next two best forward prospects graduating to the AHL in Rattie and Jaskin, and there just isn't much left after that. Carrier is our only (IMO) top 6 forward prospect in juniors/NCAA. Sure, Kurker or Maceachern could blossom, or maybe Tesink or Pochiro, but all four of those sure look like possible bottom 6 players in the future, which isn't a bad thing - every team should have good bottom 6 prospects. We are really very well rounded (forwards and defensemen, prospect-wise). We have the luxury of not needing any of these prospects any time soon, and we'll eventually re-stock just due to the passage of time/drafts. I'm not worried about it at all. We are in a very good place organizationally at the professional level and prospect-wise. While it would be nice to have a couple more high-octane offensive prospects in juniors, we're simply not the Oilers or Flames who have an organizational need for such prospects (ie, need players to step in right away).

Old
11-09-2013, 09:24 AM
execwrite

David Shields remains "Mr. Forgotten Prospect." He's off to a great start this year in Chicago.

I think he will be a steady NHL d-man for a long time.

http://www.adn.com/2012/04/24/243866...s-hitting.html

http://www.pjstar.com/x2048529054/In...d-into-key-cog

Last edited by execwrite: 11-09-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old
11-09-2013, 10:51 AM
BadgersandBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
David Shields remains "Mr. Forgotten Prospect." He's off to a great start this year in Chicago.

I think this is kinda funny, b/c every Franchise I play in NHL 14 he grows by leaps and bounds every year.

Old
11-09-2013, 12:18 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post

We just kind of ignore him every year in our prospect voting. Funny this morning...I was thinking about posting something about whether or not we may have overlooked him. With the hype with Ponich, Edmundson, Fairchild, and Hakanpaa, along with the Finns and last two years picks....and here he is leading the Wolves d-men in points and +1.

Old
11-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Quote:
We just kind of ignore him every year in our prospect voting. Funny this morning...I was thinking about posting something about whether or not we may have overlooked him. With the hype with Ponich, Edmundson, Fairchild, and Hakanpaa, along with the Finns and last two years picks....and here he is leading the Wolves d-men in points and +1.
He needs to prove himself more. But good for him.

Old
11-09-2013, 05:57 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
He's always been my diamond in the rough candidate, so maybe it'll work out. He can at least be a valuable enough asset at the trade deadline.

Old
11-09-2013, 11:55 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Schmaltz with a goal tonight vs. UNO

Quote:
Schlossman ‏@SchlossmanGF 4m
Hakstol very pleased with Jordan Schmaltz's game tonight.
UND's beat writer on twitter.

Old
11-14-2013, 07:51 PM
execwrite

With the 30th pick in the 2014 Entry Draft, the St. Louis Blues select
Ryan MacInnis.

Wouldn't that be something?

Old
11-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Alklha

I'm never sure about legacy picks. The draft is still ages away, but I think MacInnis is looking more like a second rounder at this point.

Nick Schmaltz looks like he's going to be a great player. Sadly he will be long gone by the time we pick.

Old
11-15-2013, 06:18 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
I'm never sure about legacy picks. The draft is still ages away, but I think MacInnis is looking more like a second rounder at this point.

Nick Schmaltz looks like he's going to be a great player. Sadly he will be long gone by the time we pick.
MacRae....
Plager....

I have to agree, unless they should fall in draft projection. Seems like players get hyped due to bloodlines far too often.

Vannelli is continuing his point per game pace...4 g 16 assist in 19 games and +1 is low for the team he is on, but could depend on his assignments too.

Old
11-15-2013, 06:34 AM
Jzk

vCash: 1227
Quote:
MacRae....
Plager....

I have to agree, unless they should fall in draft projection. Seems like players get hyped due to bloodlines far too often.

Vannelli is continuing his point per game pace...4 g 16 assist in 19 games and +1 is low for the team he is on, but could depend on his assignments too.

Stastny...

Old
11-15-2013, 08:24 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzk View Post
Stastny...
As long as we are taking the player that we have ranked highest on our draft board then I think everyone is happy. Letting a players bloodline play a part in the selection process isn't a good idea, and there is always going to be some extra scrutiny about that.

If it so happens that MacInnis our highest ranked player when we pick, fantastic. Getting a talented young centre in the system should only be a good thing

Old
11-15-2013, 08:29 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Quote:
As long as we are taking the player that we have ranked highest on our draft board then I think everyone is happy. Letting a players bloodline play a part in the selection process isn't a good idea, and there is always going to be some extra scrutiny about that.

If it so happens that MacInnis our highest ranked player when we pick, fantastic. Getting a talented young centre in the system should only be a good thing
I think the need for a center is there, but not with him. MacInnis is a stocky, tall built player who doesn't have top end speed or playmaking ability. He fits more like a tall two-way center, and that's not something I think this team needs. The blues lack a significant scoring threat from the center position, something that other players will do more than MacInnis.

Old
11-15-2013, 08:48 AM
Alklha

I don't disagree with that, but you always take the best player available even if it isn't an immediate need within the organisation.

I know the centre issues get a lot of focus. There are 2 ways to deal with it; trade up at the draft and put ourselves in a position to draft the centre we have ranked highest at that point or trade for a drafted prospect.

We have Oshie, Stewart and Tarasenko on the RW. Jaškin should be ready to contribute next season, Rattie might be at that point in 14 months or so. Moving a proven asset and not creating a hole in your team is a luxury and is best exploited by either going after a quality 19/20 year old prospect or packaging 2 players for an upgrade.

Old
11-15-2013, 09:25 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
We have multiple 2nds with Edmonton's and ours. He fits our mold, so it would be nice to get a big center. By the time he is ready, who knows what level Backes will be at and if we even still have Berglund.

If Cole proves himself, I could see Leopold being moved for an additional 2nd if there are enough players in that round that we like.

Old
11-15-2013, 11:51 PM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Just wanted to drop by and give my .02 on Schmaltz. Back home for a little vacation so I went to the Sioux game tonight and going tomorrow night as well.

Where to even start with his game? He did it all tonight, it's damn impressive how much better he looks from last year. With Andrew Mac, forbort and Gleason all out on D from last year, they needed him to step up and he has done that. He logged heavy minutes tonight between QBing the PP, the Pk and ES. He owned the puck when he was on the ice and made excellent decisions in all 3 zones. He has added a good amount of physicality to his game and actually sought out contact in the corners. Playing with Simpson probably rubbed off on him a bit. His work on the blueline on the PP is incredible. Working himself all over the ice to get looks, walking the line with the puck and getting his shot through traffic. He has a very active/long stick which is a big bonus on the Pk. Game was tied 2-2 with 6 minutes left when he got it at the point, walked the line to find space and ripped a writer high glove on the Duluth goalie for the GWG. I left the game tonight salivating over the 2013 version of Schmaltz. There's just so much potential there given his large frame, mobility, hockey iq and work ethic. Can't wait to watch him again tomorrow night...you guys have a damn good player on your hands.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 11-18-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old
11-16-2013, 12:57 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
Just wanted to drop by and give my .02 on Schmaltz. Back home for a little vacation so I went to the Sioux game tonight and going tomorrow night as well.

Where to even start with his game? He did it all tonight, it's damn impressive how much better he looks from last year. With Andrew Mac, forbort and Gleason all out on D from last year, they needed him to step up and he has done that. He logged heavy minutes tonight between QBing the PP, the Pk and ES. He owned the puck when he was on the ice and made excellent decisions in all 3 zones. He has added a good amount of physicality to his game and actually sought out contact in the corners. Playing with Simpson probably rubbed off on him a bit. His work on the blueline on the PP is incredible. Working himself all over the ice to get looks, walking the line with the puck and getting his shot through traffic. He has a very active/long stick which is a big bonus on the Pk. Game was tied 2-2 with 6 minutes left when he got it at the point, walked the line to find space and ripped a writer high glove on the Duluth goalie for the GWG. I left the game tonight salivating over the 2013 version of Schmaltz. There's just so much potential there given his large frame, mobility, hockey iq and work ethic. Can't wait to watch him again tomorrow night...you guys have a damn good player on your hands.
Thank you for the review. That's really good to hear as I was not a fan of the pick when we made it.

Old
11-16-2013, 01:02 AM
Bluesman91

Sometimes you just got to take the risk on the bloodline pick. Look at Brett Hull, with his dad it amazes me he dropped as low as he did and look how he turned out.

Old
11-16-2013, 01:17 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

That's great news on Schmaltz. Hoping to see him play in Denver in January.

If Ryan MacInnis carries his dad's character and work ethic and has some talent, I'm interested.

Old
11-16-2013, 01:31 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Looks like Schmaltz is really developing into a hell of a player. I'll be the first to admit I hated the pick at the time, but I'm definitely a fan now.

Old
11-16-2013, 01:48 AM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Thank you for the review. That's really good to hear as I was not a fan of the pick when we made it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
Looks like Schmaltz is really developing into a hell of a player. I'll be the first to admit I hated the pick at the time, but I'm definitely a fan now.
The scary part is that he's going to get so much better. The sky is the limit with all the tools he has. He wants the puck on his stick to control the flow of the game. He was head and shoulders above every other player tonight save maybe Grimaldi but he's getting by on speed alone. He's a real treat to watch on the PP because you don't know what to expect. Sometimes you just watch the college game and reocgnize that a certain player will be an NHL regular soon. This is that guy. Obviously player's intentions vary, but I can't see him playing all 4 years for UND.

Closed Thread