HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Blues Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2013, 08:34 AM
execwrite

vCash: 500
Yes, Jordan Schmaltz is turning into a great prospect. Hope he stays at UND one more season, then on to Chicago.

Also hope we get a shot at little brother Nick. The Blues really need to prioritize centermen in the next draft.

Old
11-16-2013, 02:03 PM
ness180

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
The scary part is that he's going to get so much better. The sky is the limit with all the tools he has. He wants the puck on his stick to control the flow of the game. He was head and shoulders above every other player tonight save maybe Grimaldi but he's getting by on speed alone. He's a real treat to watch on the PP because you don't know what to expect. Sometimes you just watch the college game and reocgnize that a certain player will be an NHL regular soon. This is that guy. Obviously player's intentions vary, but I can't see him playing all 4 years for UND.
Very much agree with your first sentence. He's already noticeabley different from just a year ago. He's got a lot more confidence now and his puck control is only getting better as evidence on the power play. It was actually fun watching him make Bulldog defenders look silly when he was on the point moving the puck around.

Jordan will likely play one more year at UND, to have the chance to play with his brother who's slated to come to UND next season. After that, I'm guessing he'll move on.

Old
11-16-2013, 03:26 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Army and the organization is probably really high on Schmaltz and that could've factored into why he only gave Shatty a 4 year deal.

Old
11-16-2013, 06:07 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Army and the organization is probably really high on Schmaltz and that could've factored into why he only gave Shatty a 4 year deal.
You people look way too far into this. Or maybe that's what Shattenkirk wanted and the two sides just agreed to it.

Old
11-17-2013, 10:05 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Wannstrom with 3 goals and 1 assist in 2 games this weekend at Kalamazoo.

Old
11-17-2013, 03:17 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Anyone who saw Schmaltz play extensively in junior would know that fans who "hated" the pick the day it happened didn't have a clue. He is and always was a massive talent that had to figure out some things off the ice and show some maturation in his game on the ice. But every other tool was there.

BrodeursCups post corroborated my comment a year ago about Schmaltz's defensive stick. He went up against the opposing teams best players in the USHL as a 16-year old not just because of his offensive skill set.

I knew he would get creamed by the knee-jerk portion of the fan base last year because he had a lot of evolving to do off the ice and it wasn't going to be a case of a 1st rounder who dominated offensively in junior stepping into the college game and putting up Justin Schultz-like numbers his freshman year.

The fact that he's playing so well and the coaching staff is raving about his game means that he's put in the time off the ice and dedicated himself to taking his hockey career as seriously as an aspiring professional athlete should.

Old
11-17-2013, 04:45 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Anyone who saw Schmaltz play extensively in junior would know that fans who "hated" the pick the day it happened didn't have a clue. He is and always was a massive talent that had to figure out some things off the ice and show some maturation in his game on the ice. But every other tool was there.

BrodeursCups post corroborated my comment a year ago about Schmaltz's defensive stick. He went up against the opposing teams best players in the USHL as a 16-year old not just because of his offensive skill set.

I knew he would get creamed by the knee-jerk portion of the fan base last year because he had a lot of evolving to do off the ice and it wasn't going to be a case of a 1st rounder who dominated offensively in junior stepping into the college game and putting up Justin Schultz-like numbers his freshman year.

The fact that he's playing so well and the coaching staff is raving about his game means that he's put in the time off the ice and dedicated himself to taking his hockey career as seriously as an aspiring professional athlete should.
Most of us who hated the pick were going off scouting reports more than anything else. Tough to watch every prospect play for most of us.

Old
11-17-2013, 05:47 PM
BlueDream

Then why go out of your way to criticize the picks? That's what I never understand. I'm pretty sure the Blues scout the players they pick in the first round. They probably know what they are doing.

Always love seeing these prospects prove fanbases wrong.

Old
11-17-2013, 06:20 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Then why go out of your way to criticize the picks? That's what I never understand. I'm pretty sure the Blues scout the players they pick in the first round. They probably know what they are doing.

Always love seeing these prospects prove fanbases wrong.
Because we do have a general knowledge about the prospects and know the team needs as well. So there are certain prospects that are available that we do have better knowledge on that we prefer. The pick was an off the board pick. Pro teams make bad picks all the time.

Old
11-17-2013, 07:20 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

But people were upset about missing out on centers that project as 3rd line centers with limited offensive upside. You should always take best player available, especially after the lottery picks. When you are in the top 10, you can kind of pick by position because there is a lot of talent at the top, but after that, you need to trust your scouts and pick by your rankings and not let positions influence you.

Old
11-17-2013, 07:21 PM
BlueDream

Pro teams know a lot more than the fanbase. You don't know if it's a bad pick until years down the road, not at that instance.

And in the NHL it doesn't really make much sense to draft for need.

In hockey the draft picks won't even make an impact for a few years for the most part. There's too many junior leagues and prospects that fans just haven't seen the players enough to judge them. No use in criticizing the team, especially one like the Blues who have a good track record recently.

Old
11-17-2013, 07:24 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Pro teams know a lot more than the fanbase. You don't know if it's a bad pick until years down the road, not at that instance.

And in the NHL it doesn't really make much sense to draft for need.

In hockey the draft picks won't even make an impact for a few years for the most part. There's too many junior leagues and prospects that fans just haven't seen the players enough to judge them. No use in criticizing the team, especially one like the Blues who have a good track record recently.
We're fans lol we are going to have opinions on our teams decisions positive and negative. Even with him playing well it could end up a bad pick we wont know until if/when he's in the NHL and the players if/when our preference is in the NHL.

Also Army doesn't have the best record drafting in the 1st round he however has a good track record after the 1st round with wingers. Like Ericksson, Benn, and Neal.

Old
11-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Trap City

It's early, and I know you shouldn't judge solely on stats, but Binnington looks to be off to an awesome start.

Old
11-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#firstroundexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
It's early, and I know you shouldn't judge solely on stats, but Binnington looks to be off to an awesome start.
Yea I've been impressed by him, but he's going to have to prove himself more when he gets to the AHL.

Old
11-18-2013, 04:45 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
He's a very good goalie prospect. I think he would be fine in the AHL if there was room for him. I guess the ECHL is best for him to actually get playing time. In the AHL with Allen there he wouldn't get many starts.

Hopefully next season Binnington is the Wolves starter and Allen is with the Blues.

Old
11-18-2013, 05:13 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#firstroundexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
He's a very good goalie prospect. I think he would be fine in the AHL if there was room for him. I guess the ECHL is best for him to actually get playing time. In the AHL with Allen there he wouldn't get many starts.

Hopefully next season Binnington is the Wolves starter and Allen is with the Blues.
I'm sure that's the plan.

Old
11-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Trap City

Quote:

I suspect that's been the plan since we couldn't move one of Halak/Elliott.

Old
11-18-2013, 06:06 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
We're fans lol we are going to have opinions on our teams decisions positive and negative. Even with him playing well it could end up a bad pick we wont know until if/when he's in the NHL and the players if/when our preference is in the NHL.

Also Army doesn't have the best record drafting in the 1st round he however has a good track record after the 1st round with wingers. Like Ericksson, Benn, and Neal.
And opinions vary in quality.

Old
11-22-2013, 07:39 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Schmaltz and Kurker squaring off tonight on NBCSN. It's in the early stages of the second and it's 2-0 BU with a third goal under review.

EDIT: No goal.

EDIT 2: Rocco Grimaldi is skilled beyond belief.

Last edited by MattyMo35: 11-22-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old
11-22-2013, 09:07 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Schmaltz and Kurker squaring off tonight on NBCSN. It's in the early stages of the second and it's 2-0 BU with a third goal under review.

EDIT: No goal.

EDIT 2: Rocco Grimaldi is skilled beyond belief.
Only thing that will hold Grimaldi back is size.

Old
11-28-2013, 09:24 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Are any of our prospects playing WJC this year? I'll admit to following our prospects less when the big team is so dominant in this rare way lately.

Old
11-28-2013, 09:46 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Are any of our prospects playing WJC this year? I'll admit to following our prospects less when the big team is so dominant in this rare way lately.
From what little I've been able to find out about Santeri Saari this year as no stats are available for the team he is on, he is predicted to play on Finland's WJC team in one of the lower pairings. They aren't supposed to announce their final roster until right around Christmas though.

Old
11-28-2013, 10:03 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Couple college free agents to watch for

Ahti Oksanen (D) at Boston University 6' 3" 220 big shot
Ryan Haggerty (F) at RPI 6'0" 200 15 goals already

Old
11-28-2013, 10:17 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Maybe Schmaltz or Vannelli could have a chance.

Old
11-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Maybe Schmaltz or Vannelli could have a chance.
I think Vannelli has a chance to make it as a PP QB.

Schmaltz is 20 so he's not eligible.

I hoped Carrier would have a chance on Canada, but they're way too deep. He might get an invite but that's about it.

Closed Thread