HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Blues Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2013, 05:42 PM
execwrite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Couple college free agents to watch for

Ahti Oksanen (D) at Boston University 6' 3" 220 big shot
Ryan Haggerty (F) at RPI 6'0" 200 15 goals already
Yes, very interested in Oksanen. Amazing that he has not been drafted.

Old
11-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Viper View Post
I think Vannelli has a chance to make it as a PP QB.
If he had stayed at Minnesota, probably... but USA Hockey has a phobia about putting Americans who play major junior on their World Junior squad for some reason.

EDIT: Listening to the Medicine Hat Tigers' broadcast online tonight, and the Tigers' announcers are saying that Vannelli will, in fact, very likely get an official invitation to the Team USA World Junior camp sometime next week.

Last edited by Prussian_Blue: 11-29-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: updated info.
Old
11-29-2013, 11:04 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Quote:
Couple college free agents to watch for

Ahti Oksanen (D) at Boston University 6' 3" 220 big shot
Ryan Haggerty (F) at RPI 6'0" 200 15 goals already
I hope the blues go after someone from college, even if its similar to what they did with Porter or Steve Wagner.

Old
12-01-2013, 08:58 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

MacKenzie MacEachern with 3 assists today. That's 5 goals and 3 assists on the season.

Old
12-07-2013, 09:53 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Schmaltz picked up 2 assists and MacEachern scored another goal making 6 on the season. Also noticed in an article that they had him listed at 6' 2" 197#s. nice to see he's filling out. Haven't noticed where Kurker has been playing.

Old
12-07-2013, 11:36 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Schmaltz picked up 2 assists and MacEachern scored another goal making 6 on the season. Also noticed in an article that they had him listed at 6' 2" 197#s. nice to see he's filling out. Haven't noticed where Kurker has been playing.
Kurker is still with Boston U. He has 1 goal and 0 assists so far this season and has played in 9 of BU's 15 games so far. I'm not sure if he's been injured or a healthy scratch.

I'll note that Max Gardiner has 1 assist in 10 games for Penn State.

The Blues college forward prospects aren't doing so great but the Blues' defensive prospects seem to be progressing well this season. Besides Vanelli and Schmaltz, don't forget about Colton Payarko. He has 11 pts in 15 games this season and is used in all situations by Alaska-Fairbanks. He's also a big boy at 6'4", 200 lbs. He probably needs to add a little more weight being as tall as he is but he'll fill out in time and he should be a force. A real underrated prospect IMO.

Old
12-07-2013, 11:54 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
The amount of defensive prospects we have is ridiculous. Actually every position except center.

Old
12-07-2013, 11:55 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Watched a little of the UND game last night. Schmaltz continues to look as assertive as I've ever seen him in the defensive zone. Playing in all situations and looks to have taken a nice leap forward. UND is also not a very good team. They've had some rather signifiant commitments defect to the CHL over the last handful of years and it's showing after they had some important players graduate or sign NHL contracts last season. So take his +/- numbers with a grain of salt.

Old
12-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Quaz

It doesn't look like Vanelli was invited to the USA WJC camp. Will the Blues have any prospects in the tournament this year? Is Carrier going to get an invite to Canada's camp. Maybe Saari for Finland? I guess that happens when you only make 4 picks in the draft.

Looking back at the Blues recent drafts, it looks like 09' was a bad draft. Otherwise the Blues are averaging approximately 2 NHL players per draft. I will be pleasantly surprised if they hit on two of the 4 picks in this last draft. With the limited market the Blues have here in St. Louis they are going to have to continue growing their own talent to stay competitive.

Old
12-07-2013, 12:34 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaz View Post
It doesn't look like Vanelli was invited to the USA WJC camp. Will the Blues have any prospects in the tournament this year? Is Carrier going to get an invite to Canada's camp. Maybe Saari for Finland? I guess that happens when you only make 4 picks in the draft.

Looking back at the Blues recent drafts, it looks like 09' was a bad draft. Otherwise the Blues are averaging approximately 2 NHL players per draft. I will be pleasantly surprised if they hit on two of the 4 picks in this last draft. With the limited market the Blues have here in St. Louis they are going to have to continue growing their own talent to stay competitive.
Carrier wasn't invited to Canada's camp either. I haven't heard a thing about Saari's chances of making the Finnish team but I suppose he would have a shot (I would suggest checking the Int'l Tournaments board for more info). He's the only Blues prospect I can think of that would have a chance. All of the better Blues prospects are now too old for the WJC.

Old
12-07-2013, 12:34 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:

I agree. I think they need to be more involved in the college and overage junior free agent market as well. Made the mistake many years ago mortgaging the farm for right now.

Old
12-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Alklha

Quote:

Even in 2009 we got Andronov, who should be a bottom 6 NHL player at some point. Other than that it is a little skewed by the fact we flipped Rundblad a year later for Tarasenko. So it was still a good draft.

Quote:
I agree. I think they need to be more involved in the college and overage junior free agent market as well. Made the mistake many years ago mortgaging the farm for right now.
I think we're trying to get involved, but it is always up to the player. We were in for a couple of players last year and they chose Detroit and Tampa Bay, I imagine that we'll be looking at a couple of others this year as well.

I don't think we'l make the same mistakes as we did last time, largely because we don't have the financial backing we had previously. I think some worry about moving picks too much, it is about all round management rather than just protecting our first round pick. If we trade our first and then sign an UFA we could still move Stewart and maybe even Polák for futures in the summer. After that when Rattie comes through then we should have another tradable asset without creating a hole in the team. Hopefully we can get into that type of cycle that keeps costs of more complimentary players down and maintaining a solid prospect pool.

Old
12-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
The Blues made a pitch to DeKeyser. He just decided to stay home in Michigan, with The Wings. Imagine how good The Blues defence would be with DeKeyser playing now, instead of Colaiacovo.

Old
12-07-2013, 05:13 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
The Blues made a pitch to DeKeyser. He just decided to stay home in Michigan, with The Wings. Imagine how good The Blues defence would be with DeKeyser playing now, instead of Colaiacovo.
Tangent: after his last game, I don't think Colaiacovo sees ice for the Blues without an injury or illness. Dude is just not an NHL player anymore. Even at his worst, Cole is noticeably better.

Old
12-09-2013, 05:49 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Vanelli picked up 3 goals this weekend. Giving him 9 goals and 15 assists in 27 games. He is also his team's 4th leading scorer. A bit of concern is that he is -3 on a team that is predominantly plus.

Carrier picked up 1 goal and 2 more assists. Giving him 9 goals and 25 assist in 30 games. His plus minus is -1, which is good considering his team. A little off his pace of last year, but seems to be working on the rest of his game.

Schmaltz picked up 3 helpers this weekend. Parayko 1 assist giving him 11 in 16 games. Rattie with 2 goals and a shoot out goal Sunday. Andronov had a big weekend as well with a couple goals and an assist.

Old
12-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Quote:
Vanelli picked up 3 goals this weekend. Giving him 9 goals and 15 assists in 27 games. He is also his team's 4th leading scorer. A bit of concern is that he is -3 on a team that is predominantly plus.

Carrier picked up 1 goal and 2 more assists. Giving him 9 goals and 25 assist in 30 games. His plus minus is -1, which is good considering his team. A little off his pace of last year, but seems to be working on the rest of his game.

Schmaltz picked up 3 helpers this weekend. Parayko 1 assist giving him 11 in 16 games. Rattie with 2 goals and a shoot out goal Sunday. Andronov had a big weekend as well with a couple goals and an assist.
Everyone seems to be making things happen!

Old
12-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:

Vannelli's defensive game is very raw from what I've heard so it's not surprising to see his plus minus reflect that. There's no rush for him though so I'm sure another year in junior and some time in the AHL can sort things out for him.

I was hoping Carrier's point totals this year would be a little higher, I thought he'd take the team by the reigns and just take off. He's still over a PPG pace though so it's not disappointing by any stretch, just had slightly higher expectations for him. I believe he's eligible for the AHL next year so I'm intrigued to see how his game translates to the pro level.

Rattie has been getting better in the AHL, his strength is still a problem though but spending the full year down there should help. Watching the highlights from last night, both of Rattie's goals came in the blue paint. Great to see a skill guy like him drive the front of the net and bang in those greasy goals.

Schmaltz and Parayko had solid weekends, but a guy I'm keeping my eye on is Mackenzie Maceachern. He spent a year in the USHL last year and his numbers weren't that great, but he's off to a good start at Michigan State with 9 points in 14 games. I remember people calling him a project back at draft day and that his potential, should he hit it, was fairly high, so we'll see how he develops.

Kurker is someone I'm losing hope in. I haven't seen any of his games so I'm not sure on how his ice time is being managed, but his numbers are just awful. He's still young obviously, but his lack of production is a little worrisome. Maybe he still has potential to be a solid bottom 6 player, but I think that's just about it for him.

Old
12-09-2013, 11:02 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I'd still rank Gardiner dead last among our prospects.

Old
12-09-2013, 05:15 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
He fell off the map that's for sure...

Old
12-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
He's at least better than Ponich.

Old
12-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

A look at some prospect stats before games played tonight.
Format: Name - League |Team| GP - G - A -PTS

Ty Rattie - AHL |Chicago Wolves| 23 - 8 - 5 - 13
Dmitrij Jaskin - AHL |Chicago Wolves| 15 - 6 - 5 - 11
Tyler Shattock - AHL |Chicago Wolves| 21 - 2 - 4 - 6
Cody Beach - AHL |Chicago Wolves| 7 - 1 - 0 - 1
Sergei Andronov - AHL |Chicago Wolves| 21 -3 - 6 - 9

William Carrier - QMJHL | Cape Breton Screaming Eagles| 27 - 8 - 22 - 30
Ryan Tesink -QMJHL | Blainville-Boisbriand Armada| 19 - 5 - 15 - 20
Mackenzie MacEachern - NCAA | Michigan State | 14 - 6 - 3 - 9
Zach Pochiro - WHL | Prince George Cougars | 25 -10 -12 - 22

Old
12-11-2013, 09:53 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Wonder how Pochiro is going to develop. He's showing more offense than I expected, so hopefully he can become a gritty 3rd line guy for us.

Old
12-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

One guy who isn't really mentioned a lot around here is Tesink, but I think he could be a very good grinder in the NHL. Needs to add some bulk, but can fight, score, and play defensively.

Old
12-12-2013, 11:38 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Glad to see MacEachern put up some points. I didn't see him play last year, still haven't actually, but his stat line wasn't all that impressive last year in the U.

Old
12-12-2013, 07:43 PM
OSA

Not sure if anyone has been following the OHL closely this year, but Dane Fox (free agent invite to the Traverse City tournament) is having an incredible year for the Erie Otters. His scoring pace has been torrid - 40 goals and 65 points in 33 games, but his overall game is so impressive, he does everything. He's great at finding open ice and unloading his hard, accurate shot; he's a ferocious backchecker, consistently providing back-pressure on attacking forwards; he is terrific on faceoffs; he willingly provides a net-front presence, drives the net, screens; he can play centre or wing; he is always physically involved, wearing down opponents, creating space for linemates and sticking up for teammates; will fight an opponent without hesitation, if needed. Really, Fox can be effective in virtually any type of game that is played. His size is average and his skating will not overwhelm opponents (like McDavid), but he has many other attributes to offer. I really hope Doug Armstrong an Co. give strong consideration to signing this guy.

Btw, I'm a frequent lurker on this board. I've always been a Blues fan and have been a closer follower of the team since they drafted Pietrangelo. Living in Ontario, I've been fortunate enough to see a lot of OHL hockey; Petro is one of my all-time favourites.

Closed Thread