HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Nabokov likely back on LI. Streit hopes to stay.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-17-2013, 07:19 AM
  #1
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 33,202
vCash: 129
Nabokov likely back on LI. Streit hopes to stay.

The local press has reported Nabby is likely returning. He accounted for all the NYI wins except 1.I thought the team overworked the 37 yr old.

In March, the team was quick to release the news that Anders Nilson's mystery illness, was a very treatable B12 vitamin deficiency and Gluten allergies. This time last yr, Poulin+ Nilson had just led the Sound Tigers to their first division crown.

It doesn't sound like Snow is searching for a longterm goalie. It sounds like Snow wants Nabby on another short term deal, while seeing how Nilson responds to treatment and carrying the load as Bridgeport's #1.

I am kind of surprised Snow won't wait and see what other goalies are available this summer. Also, talks with Streit will start up again.


http://www.nyhockeyjournal.com/news/...t,_nabokov.php
During the regular season, Nabokov went 23-11-7, with a goals-against average of 2.50 and a save percentage of .910. However, his postseason numbers weren’t as impressive. In six starts he went 2-4-0 with a 4.44 goals-against average and an .842 save percentage. Despite his less-than-stellar playoff performance, it is likely that he will return for the 2013-14 season.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:33 AM
  #2
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 50,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
The local press has reported Nabby is likely returning. He accounted for all the NYI wins except 1.I thought the team overworked the 37 yr old.

In March, the team was quick to release the news that Anders Nilson's mystery illness, was a very treatable B12 vitamin deficiency and Gluten allergies. This time last yr, Poulin+ Nilson had just led the Sound Tigers to their first division crown.

It doesn't sound like Snow is searching for a longterm goalie. It sounds like Snow wants Nabby on another short term deal, while seeing how Nilson responds to treatment and carrying the load as Bridgeport's #1.

I am kind of surprised Snow won't wait and see what other goalies are available this summer. Also, talks with Streit will start up again.


http://www.nyhockeyjournal.com/news/...t,_nabokov.php
During the regular season, Nabokov went 23-11-7, with a goals-against average of 2.50 and a save percentage of .910. However, his postseason numbers weren’t as impressive. In six starts he went 2-4-0 with a 4.44 goals-against average and an .842 save percentage. Despite his less-than-stellar playoff performance, it is likely that he will return for the 2013-14 season.
Shocking, to be sure.

As a Pens fan, I said after our series that you guys can take a huge step forward next year if Snow doesn't **** it up. This is kind of what I had in mind.

I don't get not considering your options there.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:35 AM
  #3
dawkins121
Registered User
 
dawkins121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
The local press has reported Nabby is likely returning. He accounted for all the NYI wins except 1.I thought the team overworked the 37 yr old.

In March, the team was quick to release the news that Anders Nilson's mystery illness, was a very treatable B12 vitamin deficiency and Gluten allergies. This time last yr, Poulin+ Nilson had just led the Sound Tigers to their first division crown.

It doesn't sound like Snow is searching for a longterm goalie. It sounds like Snow wants Nabby on another short term deal, while seeing how Nilson responds to treatment and carrying the load as Bridgeport's #1.

I am kind of surprised Snow won't wait and see what other goalies are available this summer. Also, talks with Streit will start up again.


http://www.nyhockeyjournal.com/news/...t,_nabokov.php
During the regular season, Nabokov went 23-11-7, with a goals-against average of 2.50 and a save percentage of .910. However, his postseason numbers weren’t as impressive. In six starts he went 2-4-0 with a 4.44 goals-against average and an .842 save percentage. Despite his less-than-stellar playoff performance, it is likely that he will return for the 2013-14 season.
SV% of .910 isn't very impressive in the first place. I don't know much about Nilson but if the Isles don't think he'll be NHL ready next year I would at the very least bring in another vet to compete with Nabakov. He is really holding that team back.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:37 AM
  #4
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 50,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
SV% of .910 isn't very impressive in the first place. I don't know much about Nilson but if the Isles don't think he'll be NHL ready next year I would at the very least bring in another vet to compete with Nabakov. He is really holding that team back.
I don't know that he's 'really holding that team back' right now. But, if they want to take the next step, then he likely will.

EDIT: As I said, if it were me, then I wouldn't be in a rush to resign him UNLESS it will make no difference in terms of pursuit of a higher end goalie (i.e., Snow still will go after a higher end goalie and would prefer knowing he's got Nabby under contract before doing that . . . maybe Nabby feels slighted and looks to go elsewhere, whatever). I just doubt that's Snow's plan.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:50 AM
  #5
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 25,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I don't know that he's 'really holding that team back' right now. But, if they want to take the next step, then he likely will.

EDIT: As I said, if it were me, then I wouldn't be in a rush to resign him UNLESS it will make no difference in terms of pursuit of a higher end goalie (i.e., Snow still will go after a higher end goalie and would prefer knowing he's got Nabby under contract before doing that . . . maybe Nabby feels slighted and looks to go elsewhere, whatever). I just doubt that's Snow's plan.
I think bring back Nabby for another year is more insurance than anything else. He's still capable if he's not overworked and he's respected and popular in the locker room. Tavares seems to love Nabby and expressed that he personally wanted him back. The Isles do tend to do what they can to make the franchise happy.

With Nabby in the fold, it should allow Snow more freedom to explore upgrading the position through trade or FA's without having to be in a position of having to overpay. I think Snow is just hedging his bets by bringing back Nabby now rather than waiting.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:08 AM
  #6
Felix Unger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 14,478
vCash: 500
If the Isles are intent on bringing back Nabokov, I think we can very well expect a lot of Islanders interest in 2nd tier UFA's like Khudobin or Emery or Greiss. It's the conservative move, because the team doesn't give up any player assets (Nino or 2013 1st). It's not how I would go, but I understand the rationale.

But the idea of going with Nabokov/Poulin or Nabokov/Nilsson? That's not conservative. That's insane. If that's the route we expect Snow to go, we should be calling for his head.

Felix Unger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:16 AM
  #7
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 33,202
vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I think bring back Nabby for another year is more insurance than anything else. He's still capable if he's not overworked and he's respected and popular in the locker room. Tavares seems to love Nabby and expressed that he personally wanted him back. The Isles do tend to do what they can to make the franchise happy.

With Nabby in the fold, it should allow Snow more freedom to explore upgrading the position through trade or FA's without having to be in a position of having to overpay. I think Snow is just hedging his bets by bringing back Nabby now rather than waiting.
I hope you are right. See if Hiller/Halak/Schnieder are available and at what cost. See what ufas Smith/Khudobin are asking for.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:24 AM
  #8
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 33,202
vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
If the Isles are intent on bringing back Nabokov, I think we can very well expect a lot of Islanders interest in 2nd tier UFA's like Khudobin or Emery or Greiss. It's the conservative move, because the team doesn't give up any player assets (Nino or 2013 1st). It's not how I would go, but I understand the rationale.

But the idea of going with Nabokov/Poulin or Nabokov/Nilsson? That's not conservative. That's insane. If that's the route we expect Snow to go, we should be calling for his head.
I think the isles could do ok with Nabby+ Khudobin/Emery/Greiss.
Maybe they feel Nabby was overworked and expect next season's backup to carry a lot more the load, then DiPietro+ Poulin did this season.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:24 AM
  #9
Robert Theodorson
Registered User
 
Robert Theodorson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,347
vCash: 500
The Isles are going to need a solid backup if Nabby is brought back, that was an absolute abysmal performance in the playoffs. Pens had Vokoun to fall back on, Isles were stuck with Nabby.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:25 AM
  #10
Snipeshow
Registered User
 
Snipeshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newmarket, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,702
vCash: 500
Just sign Mike Smith. GTG.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:31 AM
  #11
Felix Unger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 14,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I think the isles could do ok with Nabby+ Khudobin/Emery/Greiss.
Maybe they feel Nabby was overworked and expect next season's backup to carry a lot more the load, then DiPietro+ Poulin did this season.
Hard to see how being overworked is the issue. Why, then, was Nabby awful the 1st half of the season and better the 2nd half?

The Islanders can't sign a player like Khudobin/Emery/Greiss as a backup. (That's not to say that a more established contender can't). IMO, the Islanders are going to have to offer a minimum of 1A/1B status to get any of those guys.

Felix Unger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:42 AM
  #12
tony d
Goofy for Commish
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,055
vCash: 500
Yeah, a team on the rise like the Islanders need a good #1 goalie. Nabokov is not that guy.

__________________
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:44 AM
  #13
dawkins121
Registered User
 
dawkins121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I don't know that he's 'really holding that team back' right now. But, if they want to take the next step, then he likely will.
EDIT: As I said, if it were me, then I wouldn't be in a rush to resign him UNLESS it will make no difference in terms of pursuit of a higher end goalie (i.e., Snow still will go after a higher end goalie and would prefer knowing he's got Nabby under contract before doing that . . . maybe Nabby feels slighted and looks to go elsewhere, whatever). I just doubt that's Snow's plan.
So... do the Islanders not want to take the next step? Isn't that the definition of holding them back?

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:54 AM
  #14
kasper11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 7,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
The local press has reported Nabby is likely returning. He accounted for all the NYI wins except 1.I thought the team overworked the 37 yr old.

In March, the team was quick to release the news that Anders Nilson's mystery illness, was a very treatable B12 vitamin deficiency and Gluten allergies. This time last yr, Poulin+ Nilson had just led the Sound Tigers to their first division crown.

It doesn't sound like Snow is searching for a longterm goalie. It sounds like Snow wants Nabby on another short term deal, while seeing how Nilson responds to treatment and carrying the load as Bridgeport's #1.

I am kind of surprised Snow won't wait and see what other goalies are available this summer. Also, talks with Streit will start up again.


http://www.nyhockeyjournal.com/news/...t,_nabokov.php
During the regular season, Nabokov went 23-11-7, with a goals-against average of 2.50 and a save percentage of .910. However, his postseason numbers weren’t as impressive. In six starts he went 2-4-0 with a 4.44 goals-against average and an .842 save percentage. Despite his less-than-stellar playoff performance, it is likely that he will return for the 2013-14 season.

I don't really see much in that article to indicate Nabokov will be back. Seems like Snow asked Nabokov what he wants to do (which is basic due diligence) and Nabokov said he wanted to be back.

Snow rarely tips his hand as to his plans, and when he wants something out he usually goes to Newsday.

That said, I think the team and Snow believe in being loyal to the players, so I could see them bringing Nabokov back. I really hope if they do it is in a backup/mentorship role.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:57 AM
  #15
ginner classic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kitsilano
Posts: 8,450
vCash: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Hard to see how being overworked is the issue. Why, then, was Nabby awful the 1st half of the season and better the 2nd half?

The Islanders can't sign a player like Khudobin/Emery/Greiss as a backup. (That's not to say that a more established contender can't). IMO, the Islanders are going to have to offer a minimum of 1A/1B status to get any of those guys.
This does not make a lot of sense. The difference between a 910 and 920 save percentage is about 25 goals over year. As tampa found out this year, that is the difference between the playoffs and the cellar.

Bringing nabby back makes sense if the also acquire an elite youngster that is ready to start like Bernier. Ottherwise, it's more of the same cheaping out. It will cost them a playoff spot next year for sure.

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:05 AM
  #16
Felix Unger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 14,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
This does not make a lot of sense. The difference between a 910 and 920 save percentage is about 25 goals over year. As tampa found out this year, that is the difference between the playoffs and the cellar.

Bringing nabby back makes sense if the also acquire an elite youngster that is ready to start like Bernier. Ottherwise, it's more of the same cheaping out. It will cost them a playoff spot next year for sure.
Maybe. If NYI brings in Bernier (which is what I want), you're going to have to pay assets and money for him. If you make a commitment to him, you have to sell the backup job to Nabby. When did Nabby say he wanted to be a backup, being paid backup money? (1M-1.5M) It might make as much sense to go with Bernier and a veteran backup (Theodore, Labarbera, etc.).

Until I hear that Nabby wants to be a backup on a backup salary, I'll assume it's either in a starting or 1A/1B role.

I agree that bringing back Nabby as a stopgap starter is huge mistake. But until I hear an argument why a 50/50 Nabokov/Khudobin split is such a bad idea, I'll consider it a live option.

Felix Unger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:21 AM
  #17
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 33,202
vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I don't really see much in that article to indicate Nabokov will be back. Seems like Snow asked Nabokov what he wants to do (which is basic due diligence) and Nabokov said he wanted to be back.

Snow rarely tips his hand as to his plans, and when he wants something out he usually goes to Newsday.

That said, I think the team and Snow believe in being loyal to the players, so I could see them bringing Nabokov back. I really hope if they do it is in a backup/mentorship role.
Newsday reported earlier this week that with the playoffs over, Snow is going back to the bargaining table with Nabokov + Streit. He wants to keep both.

Both are head scratching moves. Streit's already rejected $5m per, while playing 2nd/3rd pairing mins. I'd turn the page on him. $5m+ for an aging, declining Streit? Yikes

And with so many quality goalies expected to be available, why not hold off on a decision on Nabby?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:23 AM
  #18
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Maybe. If NYI brings in Bernier (which is what I want), you're going to have to pay assets and money for him. If you make a commitment to him, you have to sell the backup job to Nabby. When did Nabby say he wanted to be a backup, being paid backup money? (1M-1.5M) It might make as much sense to go with Bernier and a veteran backup (Theodore, Labarbera, etc.).

Until I hear that Nabby wants to be a backup on a backup salary, I'll assume it's either in a starting or 1A/1B role.

I agree that bringing back Nabby as a stopgap starter is huge mistake. But until I hear an argument why a 50/50 Nabokov/Khudobin split is such a bad idea, I'll consider it a live option.
I think we're both heavily on the Bernier bandwagon. That trade fits the Islanders almost too well.

If we are to bring Nabby back, I'd want Emery to be that 1B guy. Dude was nothing short of stellar with Chicago. I don't think thats a likely scenario, but if we're just picking players we want, he's the guy.

I do think that Khudobin would be more likely to sign with us however.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:29 AM
  #19
Macch
Registered User
 
Macch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Newsday reported earlier this week that with the playoffs over, Snow is going back to the bargaining table with Nabokov + Streit. He wants to keep both.

Both are head scratching moves. Streit's already rejected $5m per, while playing 2nd/3rd pairing mins. I'd turn the page on him. $5m+ for an aging, declining Streit? Yikes

And with so many quality goalies expected to be available, why not hold off on a decision on Nabby?
Just because he is bargaining with both of them, doesnt mean a deal is imminent.

He could be very well pitching to Nabby that we want you here. You're great in the locker room, you're a leader, but we are going to try to go out and find a goalie that fits more long term into our plans.

If Streit really wants to come back, he has to lower his terms.


Most important move of the off-season would be NOT signing Brad Boyes.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:49 AM
  #20
Brooklanders*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
SV% of .910 isn't very impressive in the first place. I don't know much about Nilson but if the Isles don't think he'll be NHL ready next year I would at the very least bring in another vet to compete with Nabakov. He is really holding that team back.
Bernier stats were similar. I believe 909 and 2.36

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:50 PM
  #21
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 30,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Yeah, a team on the rise like the Islanders need a good #1 goalie. Nabokov is not that guy.
I would argue Nabokov was more important to the Islanders late season surge then Tavares. That being said I fully realize he sucked in the playoffs

While one can argue their might be better moves then resigning Nabakov, I think resigning him might be the safest and still a good plan B. The guy played great for us for the most part(save the playoffs and some of the first half) we just need a solid backup when he does suck and to allow him to play 50-55 games next season

Simple fact is despite how he played against the Penguins, Naby is a good goalie and he likes playing in New York for the Islanders

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:10 PM
  #22
isles31
Poster Excellont
 
isles31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,380
vCash: 250
IF Nabby is brought back, i think it would be in a 50-50 role to see what Poulin has and just ride the best goalie at the time. He sounded like he wanted to be back on the island with all his post-series comments and talking about how "were going to be better next year, etcetc" but that could just be lip service anyway.

i wouldnt be mad at a nabby/khudobin combo with the same "ride the best at the time" approach.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:32 PM
  #23
LotteryForLife*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Why don't we just go after Bernier and lay off the 40 year old goalies for a little while?

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:55 PM
  #24
ginner classic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kitsilano
Posts: 8,450
vCash: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
IF Nabby is brought back, i think it would be in a 50-50 role to see what Poulin has and just ride the best goalie at the time. He sounded like he wanted to be back on the island with all his post-series comments and talking about how "were going to be better next year, etcetc" but that could just be lip service anyway.

i wouldnt be mad at a nabby/khudobin combo with the same "ride the best at the time" approach.
Nab/Pou is a recipe for a lottery pick. It's going to be tougher to make the playoffs next year and there are still holes on D.

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:58 PM
  #25
Bourdon
Registered User
 
Bourdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,671
vCash: 900
I don't see Nabokov being very valued in FA, so I don't see why they don't at least explore other options. If Nabokov was better in the post-season, the Isles could have absolutely knocked off the Pens.

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.