Knuble a one year wonder?

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2003, 01:53 PM
pei_bruins

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to pei_bruins
Knuble a one year wonder?

I know this topic has been brought here before, probably mulitple times, but I just stumbled onto a new piece of evidence! And unfortunately for Bruins fans, it does seem to appear that Knuble will be a one year wonder. As most of you know, Knuble had 30 goals and 29 assists last year. I found it quite interesting that in 1990-91 another Bruin posted those exact totals- 30 and 29. That Bruin happens to be the greatest one year wonder in Bruins history, Ken Hodge Jr. This means that history is definitely working against Knuble. :mad:

But to be serious for a second, I think Knuble will put up similar numbers if he plays on the top two lines. If he gets relegated to the 3rd/4th lines, then I think he may end up being another one year wonder.

Old
09-25-2003, 01:59 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
I'm not playing...

Mainly because I thought Murray was a one hit wonder and would come back to earth last year...

goes to show what I knew..

:-)

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
09-25-2003, 01:59 PM
sagginb

I like what Knuble brings to the team...he may only score 1/2 the goals this season but he is still an effective player and hope he will keep getting chances to play with other talented players.

It's kinda funny that he did his best playing his off-wing..I think I would leave him over on the left side for a while longer...

Old
09-25-2003, 02:01 PM
scotiahockey

Send a message via AIM to scotiahockey Send a message via MSN to scotiahockey Send a message via Yahoo to scotiahockey Send a message via Skype™ to scotiahockey
the reason hodge never repeated those numbers was, in my opinion, due to the injury he suffered either right at athe end of the season or just at the start of the playoffs. he diclocated his shoulder or separated it, i dont recall exactly, but when he got back in the lineup, he was never quite himself again.
hodge also did that as a rookie i believe, and doesnt have the seasoning that knuble has of many NHL seasons learning the ropes and the ins and outs of NHL hockey.

Old
09-25-2003, 02:05 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pei_bruins
I know this topic has been brought here before, probably mulitple times, but I just stumbled onto a new piece of evidence! And unfortunately for Bruins fans, it does seem to appear that Knuble will be a one year wonder. As most of you know, Knuble had 30 goals and 29 assists last year. I found it quite interesting that in 1990-91 another Bruin posted those exact totals- 30 and 29. That Bruin happens to be the greatest one year wonder in Bruins history, Ken Hodge Jr. This means that history is definitely working against Knuble. :mad:

But to be serious for a second, I think Knuble will put up similar numbers if he plays on the top two lines. If he gets relegated to the 3rd/4th lines, then I think he may end up being another one year wonder.
While I agree he probably had a career year I dont think the Ken Hodge Jr analogy is even remotely close to being accurate. Knuble has always been, at the least a very good bottom two line player who hasnt gotten much of an opportunity when he been here until last year.

So now we know he can have that scoring touch like he had in college and worst case scenario he will always be a good third line type who can score the occasional goal. Aside from being Bruins I cant see the Hodge comparison.

Old
09-25-2003, 02:14 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
I think the other thing we may tend to forget is that he went from "invisible man ", healthy scratch status to very quality ice time ,,,

He earned the right to play there ...but he also needed the opportunity...

The silver lining if there is one to Segei's injury...

Old
09-25-2003, 02:15 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
If Knuble plays with Thornton, I think there's a pretty good chance he'll put up nice numbers, if not quite as impressive as last years.

The reasons:

1) Thornton is the kind of center who makes his wingers look better than they are. I think you'll see a lot of wingers look very good during their years with Thornton by the time Joe's days are over.
2) Obviously what happened to any previous Bruin has no bearing on what will happen with Knuble.
3) Knuble put up points throughout the season. He didn't have a mad rush of 20 goals and then tail off badly. He was pretty consistent and that's a good sign.
4) Knuble doe more than just chip in Thornton passes. I remember several goals that came from Knuble making room in front of the net, goals for which he didn't even get an assist. I also see Knuble laying the body as well as any Bruins winger. Bottom line, that KTM line just works for reasons we don't need to analyze to much.
5) For a guy like Knuble, confidence, ice time and linemates are the big variables. He also has a pretty even attitude. If those things line up similarly this year, I expect him to have a solid year and to refute the one-year-wonder fears.

Old
09-25-2003, 03:56 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Mk

Mike played better as 2003 went on, and he started creating goals all by himself, without any help from Joe or Muzz. He's the real deal and will be just as good on any line. I think he'll be BETTER this year. He's strong 2-way, he's got a heavy shot, and he's got soft hands now. Oh, and he's hugely underappreciated by some (not here) as to how strong he is on his skates and in the corners.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:45 PM
Duguay

A solid veteran

I've always like this guy.

I remember watching him as a rookie with Detroit; in a game against the Leafs, when he blitzed in on the wing and just absolutely wired a shot in the top glove hand corner (on Potvin I believe).

Like some others have astutely stated - this guy doesn't 'need' to score to be effective.

He's a sound, sound veteran and I expect he'll score a very effective 20-25 goals this season; with a shot at the 7th player award once again.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:49 PM
ShootOut

Send a message via ICQ to ShootOut Send a message via MSN to ShootOut
I've always seen him more like a "one career disaster"...

Old
09-25-2003, 07:01 PM
BruinsGirl

Somehow it always happens in the Bruins country...First they said Guerin won't repeat 40 goals...he had 41...Then no way Murray could repeat 41 goals season - he had 43(?) and now Knuble! I guess good ice time, confidence and no lockerroom problems do it to you.

I was under impression that the only reason Mike was scoring so many goals was him playing with Joe and Glen...until Toronto game and that move from behind the net when he maid dummy out of Svehla!

He is big boy with somewhat accurate shot...Give him ice time..don't make 4th liner out of him, we have enough candidates. I was SUPER PO'ed when Bonvie played in the playoffs instead of Knuble...

Old
09-25-2003, 07:17 PM
Gary

i kept a REAL close eye on knuble and i think he's adapted into a different player last year. that coupled with his dedication makes me believe simular #'s will likely be duplicated. here's my reasons:
1. dedication to hard work and becoming a better player as i mentioned
2. he learned TONNES from BOTH joe and murray last season. a) how to use his body down low to shield the puck (joe & murray) b) how to drive the net with authority (joe & murray) c) how to find openings in the slot (murray)
i believe just as murray learned at a older age he's been the single most influence in knuble. i think he's helped not only in the top 3 areas but i imagine he's been a role model to him as well because it's quite amazing how knuble thinks like murray at times. a few times during the year the two were tripping over one another trying to get to the same part in the slot. hillarious...but you can afford to simplify your game when you got a center who can thread the puck like a needle and hang onto it as long as he wants

Old
09-25-2003, 08:38 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Will Knuble go 30 and 29 again. Maybe not, but that doesn't mean he's a one year wonder, or a dud.

maybe he plays a quality 2 way game on the first line and only goes 22 and 25, would people be upset?

Old
09-26-2003, 11:04 AM
pei_bruins

Send a message via MSN to pei_bruins
I just thought I'd mention that the Hodge comparison was meant to be a bit of a joke. I just thought it was funny that they posted the exact same totals in their best seasons. And like I said I think Knuble will put up similar numbers if he plays on the top two lines. He doesn't necessarily need to play with Thornton to have a good year, he just needs to get a lot of ice time.

Old
09-26-2003, 12:54 PM
usmhuskies

Send a message via AIM to usmhuskies Send a message via Yahoo to usmhuskies
Kunble always has had pretty good hands and a ton of heart: he was just mis-used for a long time...He is good for 15-20 goals IMO...

Closed Thread