HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Nino

Old
06-21-2013, 06:29 AM
bigd

vCash: 500
Just the fact that Nabokov hasn't signed yet and Snow hasn't really come out and said he thinks Nino will be in LI next season leads me to think a deal for a goalie is in the works.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:05 AM
bluechipbonzo

3. Ales Hemsky...there is a deal for him: The New York Islanders. The player coming back is Nino Niederreiter. This sounds like a win for the Oilers, but you need to read the fine print. Hemsky is a proven player and he'd be a dynamite RW for John Tavares. While Niederreiter has all the makings of a Top 6 forward, his attitude is troubling. He clearly wants out of the Islanders organization. Keep in mind Gilbert Brule was a future star once, and look how that turned out.

4. Acquiring Niederreiter opens a couple of doors for the Oilers. It gives them a little more freedom on draft day. There won't be as much rush to get an immediate player. They can go D, or they could trade down a few spots. Bo Horvat and Curtis Lazar are both definitely on the Oilers radar.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:09 AM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
3. Ales Hemsky...there is a deal for him: The New York Islanders. The player coming back is Nino Niederreiter. This sounds like a win for the Oilers, but you need to read the fine print. Hemsky is a proven player and he'd be a dynamite RW for John Tavares. While Niederreiter has all the makings of a Top 6 forward, his attitude is troubling. He clearly wants out of the Islanders organization. Keep in mind Gilbert Brule was a future star once, and look how that turned out.

4. Acquiring Niederreiter opens a couple of doors for the Oilers. It gives them a little more freedom on draft day. There won't be as much rush to get an immediate player. They can go D, or they could trade down a few spots. Bo Horvat and Curtis Lazar are both definitely on the Oilers radar.

God I hope this is some sort of sick joke.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:10 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

I would say that'd be gross overpayment for Hemsky, who hasn't been effective and healthy in years. The Isles could probably get him for a song if they were really interested considering his salary and recent track record. That would just be bad asset management, IMO.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:11 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post

Where is this from? Another Friedman gem?

Makes very little sense.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:27 AM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
I would say that'd be gross overpayment for Hemsky, who hasn't been effective and healthy in years. The Isles could probably get him for a song if they were really interested considering his salary and recent track record. That would just be bad asset management, IMO.
Agreed. Nino for Hemsky doesnt interest me. Hemsky I wouldnt mind for the right price. Only 1 year left on his contract, so it is not that dangerous as long as we dont pay much.

I do think EDM is a trading partner for the Islanders. They are definately looking to make a move, im guessing a RW - Yak, Eberle, Hemsky - something has to go there. I've heard them linked to Reinhart. Now I wouldnt move Reinhart for Hemsky or anything like that, but I would package him in anydeal for Yakupov or Eberle, even though I highly doubt either is available.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:29 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
Agreed. Nino for Hemsky doesnt interest me. Hemsky I wouldnt mind for the right price. Only 1 year left on his contract, so it is not that dangerous as long as we dont pay much.

I do think EDM is a trading partner for the Islanders. They are definately looking to make a move, im guessing a RW - Yak, Eberle, Hemsky - something has to go there. I've heard them linked to Reinhart. Now I wouldnt move Reinhart for Hemsky or anything like that, but I would package him in anydeal for Yakupov or Eberle, even though I highly doubt either is available.
It's a BS rumor. I think it was from Hockeybuzz. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

And I thought the HF Trade Forum proposals were bad, this one tops it.

Old
06-21-2013, 08:32 AM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
It's a BS rumor. I think it was from Hockeybuzz. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

It makes a bit of sense. The price is outrageous, but I could see the Isles having interest in Hemsky. Its a one year deal, for a guy who has had success in the past but is at a low point. Sounds like a garth deal to me. They need a top line winger.

Old
06-21-2013, 08:38 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Quote:
It makes a bit of sense. The price is outrageous, but I could see the Isles having interest in Hemsky. Its a one year deal, for a guy who has had success in the past but is at a low point. Sounds like a garth deal to me. They need a top line winger.
But not at the expense of Nino. More like a late round pick.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 08:40 AM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
But not at the expense of Nino. More like a late round pick.
absolutely. 6th rounder...Garth special.

Old
06-21-2013, 08:51 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Quote:
absolutely. 6th rounder...Garth special.
Eh, 3rd or 4th I think is realistic.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 09:05 AM
IslandersFan17

I am not understanding why some are actually making a concerted effort to not just trade Nino, but ultimately give the kid away.

Nino is still a top three prospect in the organization. You don't just ship it off for nothing because some fans feel so slighted by Nino.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 09:08 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
I am not understanding why some are actually making a concerted effort to not just trade Nino, but ultimately give the kid away.

Nino is still a top three prospect in the organization. You don't just ship it off for nothing because some fans feel so slighted by Nino.
Well said. Even if Nino is not in the plans going forward, he still has quite a bit of value.

Old
06-21-2013, 09:15 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

A Nino for Bernier trade isnt just shipping him off. Its bringing something the Isles desperately need right now, and a very good prospect at that, just like Nino.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:00 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
A Nino for Bernier trade isnt just shipping him off. Its bringing something the Isles desperately need right now, and a very good prospect at that, just like Nino.
Not unlike Luke Schenn for James Van Riemsdyk. Young & potential for young and potential - each filling a positional need.

I think a deal is there. We should find out soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post

Hemsky for Nino makes some sense in the sense of the Isles trading one of their young forwards for a veteran first line RW - BUT, Hemsky might not be that guy.

He's had two poor seasons, the sixth highest scoring forward for the past two seasons on a very young Oilers team where one would think he'd be a leader and elevate the play of others.

I watched a fair amount of Oilers games the last two years and Hemsky hasn't been that good. I'd prefer Briere, for free and less than half the $5.5m salary that Hemsky will make. I'd take Sam Gagner over Hemsky, probably better value match as well.

I think there might be better choices and better use of cap money than Hemsky.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:09 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMimagery View Post
If that's the case, as curious as I am to see how Nino would look on JT's wing, I say trade him to a team that is high on him and get something decent in return with a fresh start. cough**excuse**bernier**me

The team is coming off a strong finish to the season and everyone can't wait to get back on the ice with new confidence. The last thing they need is a distraction in the locker room. It's kinda sad but that's how it shook out. It's the team's fault for rushing him then misusing him in the first place.
Look, the team rushed him and missused him. Of course, but you know what? Niño also made $1,000,000 bucks sitting in the press box to pad Wangs cap where he had no business making the team. Did Bailey throw a hissy fit when he was rushed and then later found himself in BST, all the while making the same $ as Niño?

Based on the info circulated to date, Niño reminds me of Dany Heatley in how he conducts himself and his business. That's not a good thing.

Niño not reporting to this minicamp is all about one thing: trade me. It's a signal to the organization to trade me at the draft. By the same token, He's also giving indications he may not report to training camp.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:10 AM
CodeE

Quote:

Most of it comes from greedy fans of other teams. The same ones who wanted us to trade DiPietro & Nino & Strome & 1st for their 7th round pick.

Very few Islanders fans are looking to sell low on Nino.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:15 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Not unlike Luke Schenn for James Van Riemsdyk. Young & potential for young and potential - each filling a positional need.

I think a deal is there. We should find out soon enough.

Hemsky for Nino makes some sense in the sense of the Isles trading one of their young forwards for a veteran first line RW - BUT, Hemsky might not be that guy.

He's had two poor seasons, the sixth highest scoring forward for the past two seasons on a very young Oilers team where one would think he'd be a leader and elevate the play of others.

I watched a fair amount of Oilers games the last two years and Hemsky hasn't been that good. I'd prefer Briere, for free and less than half the $5.5m salary that Hemsky will make. I'd take Sam Gagner over Hemsky, probably better value match as well.

I think there might be better choices and better use of cap money than Hemsky.
My problem with the JVR swap for Schenn when comparing it to Niño for Bernier is that it may not take Niño to acquire Bernier based on LAs situation. If the Isles could use Niño to acquire another organizational need, then I would prefer that.

If Bernier is too expensive (Niño or the First rounder), then I go all in on Khudobin. Use Niño for that D or F.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 10:45 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Just the fact that Nabokov hasn't signed yet and Snow hasn't really come out and said he thinks Nino will be in LI next season leads me to think a deal for a goalie is in the works.
Even if something is in the works, hopefully Bernier, wouldnt you like Nabby as a backup? thats a pretty solid combo to have and at his advanced(hockeywise) age, nabby wont be getting too many calls to be a starter.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 11:57 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
Even if something is in the works, hopefully Bernier, wouldnt you like Nabby as a backup? thats a pretty solid combo to have and at his advanced(hockeywise) age, nabby wont be getting too many calls to be a starter.
Yes but I'm betting Nabokov doesn't return unless they are guaranteeing him the starting job. That could be what's holding up the process.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 12:05 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
Most of it comes from greedy fans of other teams. The same ones who wanted us to trade DiPietro & Nino & Strome & 1st for their 7th round pick.

Very few Islanders fans are looking to sell low on Nino.
Imagine if Snow would have sold low on Okposo when he was struggling early in the season...

Now some fans (my self included) wouldn't mind seeing the guy with a C on his chest.

Just like some have already alluded to, like Nabby and Viz, people have short memories when said players come in and do well.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 12:10 PM
Macch

A good season fixes everything!

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 12:13 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Yes but I'm betting Nabokov doesn't return unless they are guaranteeing him the starting job. That could be what's holding up the process.
or maybe Nabbys salary demands will change if they bring in another goalie. No one brought in, Im a starter I want to be paid like a starter. Bring in Bernier and he cant do that as much...

Old
06-21-2013, 12:36 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Imagine if Snow would have sold low on Okposo when he was struggling early in the season...

Now some fans (my self included) wouldn't mind seeing the guy with a C on his chest.

Just like some have already alluded to, like Nabby and Viz, people have short memories when said players come in and do well.
Lets settle down on the Okposo talk. He had another first half of a season doing nothing, and then turned it on at the end as usual. He still needs to turn in a full season before we can actually say he's worth holding on to.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 12:41 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
Lets settle down on the Okposo talk. He had another first half of a season doing nothing, and then turned it on at the end as usual. He still needs to turn in a full season before we can actually say he's worth holding on to.
I agree. Still a ton to prove. He was dynamite for most of the series, then fizzled out a bit. 2 of his 3 goals were from behind the net. If he can carry his aggressive play, (eg when he beat down niskanen), then we have a player. When he thinks he is a skilled player is when he gets into trouble.