HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Your Team's Off-season Plans

Old
05-19-2013, 01:24 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Nothing we've heard, some rumor said he wanted 5 million + which I don't think is true but if thats the case I'll pack his bags
With the ufa market looking weak, I'd have to think players like Clarkson and Streit will be overpaid.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Paladin2799

Toronto will let MacArthur and Bozak walk.

Try to sign weiss, morrow, clarkson but will ultimately fail. Go into the season with the following top 9.

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
jvr-grabo-Frattin
Komarov-Colborne-Kulemin

On the defense they will look to acquire a stable high IQ defenseman. I personally would try to aquire Yandle, or sign someone like Streit to a deal.

Phaneuf-SIGN/TRADE
Gardiner-Franson
Gunnarsson-Frasor
Liles

Goaltending should stay the same, perhaps if someone is available to get a solid veteran goaltender as a backup.

Paladin2799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 02:51 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post

DRAFT THE 4TH PICK AND NOT BE STUPID AND TRADE IT...

Figure out if you want to trade SK or Craig Smith to make room on the roster for a UFA. Trade Blum, possibly trade Ryan Ellis if your believe Ekholm will be a better

sign RFAs.

see if there are any teams out there willing to trade a player they can't buyout because they have two other morons they want to buyout. do it to bump up a pick a rd.

Get a FULL training camp AND practices between games which the lockout took away killing the Preds biggest advantage; Barry Trotz and staff.

Profit
Trade SK! His welcome is wore out in Nashville.

Craig Smith should stay. Hopefully he got his confidence back in the showing with the US the past couple of weeks.

You trade 2 spots back at the most if it means a possible top 6 forward coming back or 2nd pairing D man.
A guy like Lindholm and FF. Should fit nicely together

I would look at moving Ryan Ellis to a wing spot. Why trade or waste all of that creativity and skill just because he is on the small side. Move him to wing and let him move the puck and be one of the better defensive wingers.

Look at trading Blum, Halischuck, Spaling, and Legwand as a wild card.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:06 PM
InnuJoker
P.K./Price 3x low 5

Trades:
-Trade C Tomas Plekanec and C David Desharnais to Winnipeg for LW Andrew Ladd and 3rd round pick.
-Trade RW Brian Gionta (*or RW Michael Ryder's rights*) to New Jersey for RW David Clarkson's rights and 2nd/3rd round pick (*no draft pick if traded for Ryder*).
-Buyout D Tomas Kaberle.

Re-signings:
-C Ryan White re signs @700,000$ for 2 years.
-D Yannick Weber re signs @ 850,000$ for 2 years.
-G Dustin Tokarski signs @675,000$ for 2 years.

-C Petteri Nokelainen, C Gabriel Dumont, RW Colby Armstrong, C Jeff Halpern, G Robert Mayer, RW Michael Blunden, D David Drewiske, RW Michael Ryder walk off the team.

Free agency/Rookie signings:
-Sign LW Ryane Clowe via free agency.
-Sign C Daniel Pribyl (NHL entry level contract)
-Sign C Dustin Walsh (NHL entry level contract)
-Sign LW Olivier Archambault (NHL entry level contract)
-Sign D Magnus Nygren (NHL entry level contract)

2013-2014 Lineup:
Pacioretty - Eller - Bourque (*Gionta*)
Ladd - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Clowe - Leblanc - Clarkson
Moen - White - Prust

Markov - Subban
Gorges - Emelin
Bouillon - Diaz
Weber

Price
Budaj

Last edited by InnuJoker: 05-19-2013 at 11:23 PM.
InnuJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:23 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Step 1) Dump all of Booth, Ballard and Luongo for picks or amnesty buyout.
Step 2) Re-sign RFAs Schroeder, Tanev, and Weise.
Step 3) Re-sign UFAs Alberts, Pinizzotto, Sestito and Lapierre at their current salaries, otherwise let them walk and find some similar priced players in UFA.
Step 4) Splurge on a high end top-6 forward in UFA, or trade futures for a legitimate 1st line winger.(e.g., Jagr for 1-year, 5.2 mil)

Something like this. If this team fails to get it done, start trading away every core player except the Sedins, Hamhuis, and Garrison(unless they ask to be traded as well)
This.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:49 PM
XanderCell

Something like this...

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.250m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($3.750m) / David Clarkson ($5.000m)
Bryan Bickell ($1.750m) / Joe Colborne ($0.900m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m)
Leo Komarov ($0.900m) / Jay McClement ($1.500m) / Matt Frattin ($0.925m)
Frazer McLaren ($0.725m) / Colton Orr ($0.725m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m) / Carl Gunnarsson ($3.500m)
Jake Gardiner ($1.117m) / Cody Franson ($2.500m)
Morgan Rielly ($1.744m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.850m)
Mark Fraser ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
James Reimer ($1.800m)
Ray Emery ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Darcy Tucker ($1.000m)
Buyout: Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
Buyout: Mike Komisarek ($0.000m)
Buyout: Mikhail Grabovski ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,360,833; BONUSES: $1,150,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,089,167

Thats it!

XanderCell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:10 AM
ReimerIsFuture
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderCell View Post
Something like this...

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
Mark Fraser ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
James Reimer ($1.800m)
Ray Emery ($1.500m)
OTHER
------

Thats it!
I think it's a little early to consider buying out Grabovski. He played ROUGH minutes this season and was being miss used as a player. He does make too much money but he needs to be on the 2nd line where he belongs. Playing 2nd line minutes and not playing a checking role. He was dynamite in the playoffs even though he didn't get rewarded.

He is easily a 50-60 point player when he's not being misused. Could even be a 60+ player if he's with the right guys. I think signing Bozak for 4.5M is a mistake. He's not defensive, he's not physical, all he does is win faceoffs and mooch from Phil Kessel. He has no business on the 1st line and should walk off the team in july. Kadri, Grabovski, Colborne, and McClement are our centres for now. Until we can draft or land a bonafied #1, I'm happy with this centre line up.

ReimerIsFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 01:00 AM
PJ StockBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post

Free Agency/Re-signings
RW Nathan Horton ($4.2M/3YR)
If that's all it takes to sign back Horton then he will easily remain with the Bruins. I'm hoping the Bruins can sign him back for under 5 million a year

PJ StockBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 01:13 AM
N o o d l e s

1) Offer Rask the contract he deserves. Get him signed to something like a 5 yr. deal or so.

2) Re-sign Horton. We go back and forth about Nathan on the B's board, but his play in the playoffs is invaluable. He can be a floater throughout the season, but no FA's other than Clarkson peak my interest. IF Clarkson can be had for reasonable money I would advocate signing him over Horton, but I don't see Chiarelli willing to get into a bidding war for him when he can re-sign Horton.

3) Let Ference walk as a FA. Krug and Bartkowski have more than proved they can handle the playing time. They've both proved to be good puck movers who can really skate. I'm interested to see what they can do over a full 82. I think you go with a rotation of Krug/Bart as 6-7th dmen until one grabs it. Maybe move Bart in a package this offseason to move up in the draft/improve at other positions.

4) Let go of Kelly and Peverley. This one is more controversial. Kelly is massively important in the leadership/PK department, but man have the numbers dried up. Singing him to that new contract after his uptick in numbers gave me great hope, but he's fallen off the table. I'm hoping we can chalk this up to not having been given a full season to re-gain form, but at this point there's no excuse. I would bet that Kelly WILL still be here next year, not as likely for Peverley, IMO. And I'm fine with that.

5) Handle the backup goalie situation early, and get it out of the way. I think Khudobin has had a pretty good year and would LOVE to keep him, but can't see him accepting a full year of being a backup. He wants to start. I think most likely is that he leaves Boston and Svedberg comes in as backup.

6) Let Jagr go. This one I think is easier to take. Jagr is still a very good player, but he's very slow and I don't think he's necessarily fit in here. Odds are he's going to want 1 year deals from here on out and, if that's the case, I would like to see the kids be given an opportunity to stick. By kids, I mean Ryan Spooner and Alex Khokhlachev, although I think it's likely Koko gets some more time in the minors. Maybe up by mid-year.

All this would mean that next year we're looking at something like:

FORWARDS

Lucic / Krejci / Horton
Marchand / Bergeron / Seguin
Soderberg / Spooner / Kelly
Paille / Campbell / Thornton
Caron

DEFENSEMEN

Chara / Hamilton
Seidenberg / Boychuk
McQuaid / Krug
Bartkowski

GOALTENDERS

Rask
Svedberg

N o o d l e s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:04 AM
Sam Pollock

Calgary Flames:

Draft a long term project with the 6th pick and try to pass him off as our next saviour.
Phone Jarome on July 5th and hear laughter as he hangs up phone.
Sign secondary scoring/help and try to pass him/them off as our next saviour.
Wait until late August/early September to find out if Miikka is coming back or not. Then try to pass Ramo as our next saviour.
Make excuses why we can't pass the 8th place team and place lower than 10th in our conference.
Set tee times for early April, 2014 with Feaster and Hartley putting out feelers for their next job.

Sam Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:25 AM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Pollock View Post
Calgary Flames:

Draft a long term project with the 6th pick and try to pass him off as our next saviour.
Phone Jarome on July 5th and hear laughter as he hangs up phone.
Sign secondary scoring/help and try to pass him/them off as our next saviour.
Wait until late August/early September to find out if Miikka is coming back or not. Then try to pass Ramo as our next saviour.
Make excuses why we can't pass the 8th place team and place lower than 10th in our conference.
Set tee times for early April, 2014 with Feaster and Hartley putting out feelers for their next job.
Don't say "our" like you are some sort of Flames fan. Because it's clear you aren't with this kind of crap.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:35 AM
Adirondack Flames

• Focus on the draft
  • Trade Stempniak
  • Sign a free agent or 2
  • Buyout Sarich

Go into the season with a lineup resembling:

Baertschi - Backlund - Cammalleri
Tanguay - Stajan - Glencross
Hudler - #6 pick/Reinhart/Free Agent - Horak
Bouma - Free Agent - McGrattan/Jackman

Brodie - Giordano
Butler - Wideman
Cundari/Breen - Smith

Ramo/MacDonald

A top draft pick.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:42 AM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerIsFuture View Post
Leafs have a pretty busy off season yet not too busy at the same time. We aren't in any kind of salary cap problems, so we can take our time on things. But here's what I think:

-Buyout Komisarek and maybe Liles

-Kadri signs a "show me" contract @3M for 2 years
-Komarov re signs @800,000$ for 3 years
-Colborne re signs @800,000$ for 2 years
-Frazer McLaren re signs @650,000$ for 1 year
-Gunnarsson signs @2.5M for 4 years
-Franson signs @2.5M for 2 years
-Fraser signs @1.5M for 3 years
-O'Byrne signs @1M for 2 years

-Bozak, Orr, Kostka walk off the team and POSSIBLY MacArthur but it would depend on how much he asks on his new contract. If he asks for more than 3M forget it. As for Bozak, no use signing him if he's asking 5M. Anything north of 3.5M is overpayment.

-Sign Clarkson via free agency.
-MAYBE sign Weiss if he comes cheaper. But if he's asking 4M forget it.
-MAYBE a veteran goaltender like Jose Theodore. Would come cheap and would help mentor Reimer.
-Sign a big defensive D man like Regehr (he played with Phaneuf in Calgary)

JVR - Kadri - Kessel
Lupul - Grabovski - Clarkson
Kulemin - Colborne - Frattin
McLaren - McClement - Komarov

Phaneuf - Regehr
Franson - Fraser
Gardiner - Gunnarsson

Reimer
Theodore
I can easily see problems with your entire post.

First of all, the Leafs only have 12 players signed for next season with only $19,495,833 in available cap space. They'll need to sign at least 10 more players, most of whom will be their own RFA's who will be looking for pay raise which will eat up a very large chunk of the above-mentioned cap space. In all likelihood, there won't be a lot left over for UFA signing.

Secondly, teams are only allowed ONE amnesty buy-out this season, not two. The second amnesty buy-out is only useable after next season. Therefore, only one of Liles or Komisarek would be bought out this summer, not both of them (which will make the allocation of cap space even more difficult for Nonis). Using the amnesty buy-out on Komisarek would help the situation, but probably not as much as people think it will.

Thirsly, guys like Clarkson and Regehr will likely be too expensive for the Leafs at this point in time. It's doubtful tht either player would be much of an upgrade (if at all) over what the Leafs already have/had. As for Regehr, I seriously doubt that he would sign with Toronto with Phaneuf still there, since he hates Phaneuf with a passion that almost borders on the unholy.

Fourthly, going after Theodore is utterly pointless. His career is effectively over.

Lastly, the Leafs need a lefitimate #1 center and those currently cost in excess of $5 million. Kadri has had a very good season, but is he capable of handling such an important role so early into his NHJL career? I don't believe he is.

Truthfully, there is a great deal that the Leafs need to do if they expect to be perennial play-off/Stanley Cup contenders.

Personally, I believe that Leaf management will have to bite the bullet and do what many Leaf fans would deem as unthinkable: trade both Kessel and Phaneuf and use the returns to help continue the build for the future. The reasoning behind this is quite simple:

-both players only have one year left on their contracts,
-it's already been stated that Kessel will likely demand a minimum of $7 million/year on his next contract which, at this point, is very likely to be too rich for the Leafs blood,
it's pretty cler that Phaneuf isn't the player he was early in his career and clearly isn't worth $6.5 million/year. He'd have to take a significant pay-cut in order to stay, but would he do that? Highly unlikely.
-there have also been questions as to whether or not Nonis and Carlyle see the team going forward on a long-term basis with Kessel and Phaneuf on it. If it's true that neither player is beig considered as a long-trm pi ece of the Leaf puzzle, then Management would be best served to trade these two players ASAP, instead of keeping them and allowing them to walk at th eend of next season for nothing.
-trading both players will also greatly increase the amount of available cap spce which can be spent more wiesely going forward.

Now, as for what I would do, I concentrate more on improving the Leafs' defence corps first and foremost. With Carlyle's defensive system emphasizing strong defensive play, I'd focus more on re-signing/signing guys who are mobile, defensively responsible, and can handle the puck reasonbly well(like Gunnarsson and Franson). If they can also chip in offensively, then so much the better. I'd also look to achieve a balance conbsisting of equal parts left-handed to right-handed on the blue-line. Furthermore, I'd do my best to keep the cap hits at a reasonable level. No need to overpay if you don't absolutely have to.

Once the defence corp has been dealt with, I'd look to improve the forward group as follows:

-Lines 1 and 2: scoring lines.
- Line 3:hybrid line that can chip in offensively and is strong defensively,
-Line 4: effective checking line with strong defensive capabilities.

As for the assigning of roles, where each player is placed would entirely depend upon their capabilities. If a player is a legitimate top-6 forward, then he'll be assigned to either Line 1 or Line 2. If he's a legitimate third-liner, then he'll be placed on Line 3. Whomever remains will either end up on Line 4 or they will be deemed as extras.

Regarding the goaltending, there's nothing to change at this time.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 05:06 AM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by EucaLEAFtys View Post
Secondly, teams are only allowed ONE amnesty buy-out this season, not two. The second amnesty buy-out is only useable after next season. Therefore, only one of Liles or Komisarek would be bought out this summer, not both of them (which will make the allocation of cap space even more difficult for Nonis). Using the amnesty buy-out on Komisarek would help the situation, but probably not as much as people think it will.
You are mistaken. Teams are allowed to use 2 in 2 years, there is nothing saying it must be 1 per year.

Also if you are going to bring up Regehr as a stretch it won't be because of money I don't see him getting more than 2-3 million short term. But Regehr and Phaneuf HATE each other. It is believed by many that feud is why Calgary traded Phaneuf, I think it came to a head and it came down to Regehr or Phaneuf and Sutter chose Regehr (which would explain why the trade was rushed and the Flames took less value). So I doubt Regehr would ever sign with a team that has Dion, especially one with him captain.

Old
05-20-2013, 05:09 AM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderCell View Post
Something like this...

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
Mark Fraser ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
James Reimer ($1.800m)
Ray Emery ($1.500m)
OTHER
------

Thats it!
Forgot about John Michael Liles and his big cap hit I see

Leafsforlife98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 05:16 AM
Money Baer
COYS

1. 2013 Draft is the #1 priority!
2. Try to take advantage of teams struggling with their current cap situation. Acquire picks with reclamation projects.. (Not long term contracts, though... Players like Ballard or Booth)
3. UFA market. This isn't a big priority for us... Look at guys like Bozak & Horton. (highly unlikely they sign)

Trades:
Stempniak for a 2nd
Booth + 2nd for a 4th

UFA:
Bozak 4yrs @ 4.75 per
Cracknell 2yrs @ 1.1 per

Baertschi - Bozak - Cammy
Tanguay - Backlund - GlenX
Hudler - Reinhart - Booth
Bouma - Jones - Cracknell
Gratz

Brodie - Giordano
Cundari - Wideman
Butler -Breen

Ramo / MacDonald

- 8 young faces: Baertschi, Backlund, Reinhart, Bouma, Brodie, Cundari, Breen, and Ramo in the lineup.
- 3 1st douners developing from the 2013 draft
- Decent supporting cast to shoulder the loads of the rebuild: GlenX, Giordano, Wideman, Bozak

2014 Draft:
1st - 1
2nd - 3
3rd - 1

Finally, 2013/14 trade deadline:
- Look at moving Tangauy & Cammy for picks/prospects.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 05:55 AM
nmbr_24

Boston

1. re-sign Tuukka Rask to a long term deal.

2. Make decisions on UFAs- Ference walks, Jagr walks, Pandolfo walks, Johnson walks, Redden walks, Horton gets re-signed, Khudobin-I would love to see him re-signed but I am not sure what it would take so it may come down to what kind of cap space they have.

3. Make decisions on RFAs-Rask re-signed, Daugavins-?, Caron-?

4. Make room in the lineup for the deserving prospects. On D we will probably see

Chara-Hamilton
Seidenberg-Krug
Boychuk-Bartkowski
McQuaid

5. Make the hard decisions on players who are not playing up to expectations but still have some value.

Peverley-traded, it doesn't really matter what the return is, his money will partially be going to re-sign Horton and that is more important than what the return for him is.

Kelly-This one is tough, he hasn't had a good year but last year he played like a 2nd line scorer so a lot of us may expect too much from him. I go back and forth on what I would like to see happen in this case, but I think the Bruins need to have some new blood among the forward core so I am going to say I think he should be moved.

The forwards end up something like this:

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
Soderberg/Spooner-Soderberg/Spooner-Knight/Caron
Paille-Campbell-Thornton

Goaltending

Rask
Khudobin/Svedberg

That leaves the Bruins slightly above the cap before the season starts and comfortably a couple of million under the cap when they can put Savard on LTIR if they were able to re-sign Rask and Khudobin for $7 million combined and Horton for $5 million. It also leaves space for Daugavins and Caron at slight raises for each.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 06:10 AM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
You are mistaken. Teams are allowed to use 2 in 2 years, there is nothing saying it must be 1 per year.

Also if you are going to bring up Regehr as a stretch it won't be because of money I don't see him getting more than 2-3 million short term. But Regehr and Phaneuf HATE each other. It is believed by many that feud is why Calgary traded Phaneuf, I think it came to a head and it came down to Regehr or Phaneuf and Sutter chose Regehr (which would explain why the trade was rushed and the Flames took less value). So I doubt Regehr would ever sign with a team that has Dion, especially one with him captain.
Are you absolutely sure about that (the amnesty buy-out thing)? I ask because there's a thread on the main trade board by caley that mentions these buy-outs and it seems to indicate differently. Even if what you've said here is true, Nonis isn't going to use them in a reckless manner like many Leaf fans are apt to do. He'll be quite careful in their usage.

Regardless of the estimated amount, the mere thought of Regehr signing with Toronto (while Phaneuf is there) makes it a moot point.

In any event, it will be interesting to see what Nonis does this summer. though I don't believe he'll be able to do much.

Too many holes and too little cap space.

Last edited by EucaLEAFtys: 05-20-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old
05-20-2013, 06:26 AM
joe2856

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Trades:
Marc Staal for Jordan Eberle
Tomas Kundratek for Sam Noreau

2013-2014 Lineup
Moore-Kundratek
Tomas Kundratek is in Washington's system now, so it would be kind of hard for you to trade him when he's not in your team's system. He will be a RFA this offseason however.

Edit: Nevermind, Just the way you worded it - Kundratek FOR, like you labeled Marc Staal for, made me think you thought you had Kundratek in your system to trade

http://www.capgeek.com/player/1196

joe2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 06:29 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Personally, I believe that Leaf management will have to bite the bullet and do what many Leaf fans would deem as unthinkable: trade both Kessel and Phaneuf and use the returns to help continue the build for the future. The reasoning behind this is quite simple:

-both players only have one year left on their contracts,
-it's already been stated that Kessel will likely demand a minimum of $7 million/year on his next contract which, at this point, is very likely to be too rich for the Leafs blood,
it's pretty cler that Phaneuf isn't the player he was early in his career and clearly isn't worth $6.5 million/year. He'd have to take a significant pay-cut in order to stay, but would he do that? Highly unlikely.
-there have also been questions as to whether or not Nonis and Carlyle see the team going forward on a long-term basis with Kessel and Phaneuf on it. If it's true that neither player is beig considered as a long-trm pi ece of the Leaf puzzle, then Management would be best served to trade these two players ASAP, instead of keeping them and allowing them to walk at th eend of next season for nothing.
-trading both players will also greatly increase the amount of available cap spce which can be spent more wiesely going forward.

I am not a Leaf fan, but I find it hard to believe that they would trade Kessel unless they had to, like if he said he wanted to test the market as an UFA.

I understand where you are coming from on Phaneuf, but I wouldn't be so quick to doubt that he would take a pay cut. Even Chara took a pay cut in his last contract. The real problem I see with Phaneuf is that I would want a different captain and I think it would be a tough situation if Phaneuf was stripped of the C and was still on the team. That is kind of a moot point right now because I don't see anyone on the team that I would want as a captain more than Phaneuf right now either.

These two guys are not guys that you can just go out and replace either. A legit first line winger and top pairing defenseman are not going to be available that easily if they trade these guys.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 06:31 AM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Are you absolutely sure about that (the amnesty buy-out thing)? I ask because there's a thread on the main trade board by caley that mentions these buy-outs and it seems to indicate differently. Even if what you've said here is true, Nonis isn't going to use them in a reckless manner like many Leaf fans are apt to do. He'll be quite careful in their usage.

Regardless of the estimated amount, the mere thought of Regehr signing with Toronto (while Phaneuf is there) makes it a moot point.

In any event, it will be interesting to see what Nonis does this summer. though I don't believe he'll be able to do much.

Too many holes and too little cap space.
I am positive. I have never seen anything indicating a team could only use 1 per year.

Old
05-20-2013, 06:54 AM
416Leafer

Signings:
-Bozak 4 years X 3.75M/year
-Weiss 3 years X 5.25M/year (risky)

Trades:
- Grabovski for D. Morris
- Liles for mid round pick

Buyouts:
- save them for next offseason. Komi only has a year left, itd be a waste to use an amnest buyout on him.

JVR-Weiss-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Frattin
Komarov-Bozak-Kulemin
McClaren-McClement-D'Amigo

Phaneuf-Morris
Gunnarson-Gardiner
Fraser-Franson
Holzer

Reimer
Scrivens

Top Marlies Callups: Colborne, Ashton, Blacker, Percy, Scott, Hamilton, etc

Wild-Card: Rielly could make the team. Phaneuf/Kessel contracts. They need to be signed in the summer IMO. Delays show that them wanting to stay here longterm is likely dependent on the teams performance this upcoming season. We cannot lose these guys for nothing. If they arent signed in the summer, they may need to be traded, which obviously mucks up all these plans.

Overall reasoning: small tweeks. Get Bozak off the first line and into a more defensive/support role where he belongs. Move Grabo/Liles contracts and bring in a vereran RHD. Weiss is a risky contract, but I think considering his playmaking skills works better with our forwards, particularly Kessel, than Grabo does. There are no "home run" UFAs available this year. Cant expect to build a cup contender for next season, but we can make some small improvements. Not interested in Ribeiro, I think he's gonna get a big deal, and at the end of the day, 2 years from now I think we'd realize we cant win (the Cup) with Ribeiro-Kadri as our 1-2 punch. Id prefer to get Weiss on a shorter deal as a stopgap solution.

I wanted the Leafs to sell Bozak/MacArthur at the deadline. Now our options at the draft are much more limited than they would have been. Ideally Id like to see a centre drafted, but obviously go BPA. If they think they can get a franchise D at our pick, go with that. Im still hoping to see one of Wennberg, Gauthier, Lazar, or Horvat though.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 07:16 AM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I am positive. I have never seen anything indicating a team could only use 1 per year.
Well, regardless of when they can be used, Nonis is going to be very careful in his usage of them.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:32 AM
StefanW
Get well, Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
It's hard to say what Ottawa should look at doing in the off-season

We have some real good prospects at forward, some decent prospects on D and drafted two goalies last year; those are the resources in the pipeline

As far as the current NHL team there are three major issues: Alfie retiring, Michalek being terrible in the playoffs and constantly injured and Gonchar's contract expiring

Do we hope that the prospects can fill the holes? Seem like a good idea money-wise considering the team made the playoffs this year even with a lot of team's best players getting injured but it could really backfire if the rookies have the classic sophomore slump and the callups don't perform.

Unfortunately the FA crop this year is simply dreadful AND the Senators usually have a hard time attracting FAs anyway.

So if the team decides that simply using the prospect pool isn't good enough that leaves trades (and maybe resigning Gonchar) as the only recourse to improve the team. This is a thorny issue with the cap going down and certain teams looking at compliance buyouts: I was wondering if certain teams could use the cap crunch to incentivize trades with what are currently cap teams: Ottawa has a ton of cap space and cap teams will be looking to shed salary, if there ever was a time where a team could take on salary without sending any back it's now (and next year I guess), finding a way to get NYR or Philadelphia cap-compliant via trade without them having to use the compliance buyouts might be an attractive strategy, saving the owners a ton of money (by allowing the team to not have to use compliance buyouts) might be the incentive needed to make some truly epic trades.
I think the million dollar question is whether the Sens package up some of their prospects for proven players with the goal of making a more serious run next year. While most Sens fans are drooling over the thought of getting a high caliber winger, the team probably needs a top end defenseman more. This is especially true if Gonchar sticks to a demand for a two year deal, which would mean that he would almost certainly be allowed to walk.

While the UFA crop is not stellar, there are 2 or 3 players on that list who could really help the Sens. With the amount of cheap talent the Sens have coming through the pipeline it seems unlikely the team will make a play and take the "overpay for a old UFA" route.

I can see the Sens waiting out the summer, seeing how next season goes, and making a big splash at the trade deadline next year if the team looks like it is primed to make a long playoff run.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 07:47 AM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I am not a Leaf fan, but I find it hard to believe that they would trade Kessel unless they had to, like if he said he wanted to test the market as an UFA.

I understand where you are coming from on Phaneuf, but I wouldn't be so quick to doubt that he would take a pay cut. Even Chara took a pay cut in his last contract. The real problem I see with Phaneuf is that I would want a different captain and I think it would be a tough situation if Phaneuf was stripped of the C and was still on the team. That is kind of a moot point right now because I don't see anyone on the team that I would want as a captain more than Phaneuf right now either.

These two guys are not guys that you can just go out and replace either. A legit first line winger and top pairing defenseman are not going to be available that easily if they trade these guys.
It's been said that Nonis wasn't happy at the time when Kessel was acquired. Coupled with the rumors of Kessel demanding $7 million (or more) per season, the high trade value, the remaining year on his current contract, and the uncertainty of not knowing whether or not Kessel wants to stay now that Burke is no longer around, it's easy to see why Nonis would want to trade him.

As for trading Phaneuf, it's been rumored that Carlyle doesn't see him as a long-term piece of the puzzle. Not to mention, Phaneuf just isn't a legitimate top-pairing defenceman at this time despite being paid like one. He's also not a smart hockey player. As for the captaincy, he doesn't deserve to have it.

At the end of the day, the Leafs are not going to do much with these two guys on the roster. At some point, Nonis is going to have to decide what's best for the team going forward and I believe that he's going to have to do that sooner rather than later.