HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Your Team's Off-season Plans

Old
05-20-2013, 05:43 PM
phlocky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
WOW VERY passionate

Yeah, I quit pointing this stuff out to the fans on the flyers board. I felt like I was talking to a bunch of deaf mutes when I sowed them over and over again the knee-jerk trades we made over the past 5 years and listed the players those picks became and how, if we'd just been patient we wouldn't have such HUGE gaping holes on defense. They didn't much like staring the truth in the face.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 06:28 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by EucaLEAFtys View Post
It's been said that Nonis wasn't happy at the time when Kessel was acquired. Coupled with the rumors of Kessel demanding $7 million (or more) per season, the high trade value, the remaining year on his current contract, and the uncertainty of not knowing whether or not Kessel wants to stay now that Burke is no longer around, it's easy to see why Nonis would want to trade him.

As for trading Phaneuf, it's been rumored that Carlyle doesn't see him as a long-term piece of the puzzle. Not to mention, Phaneuf just isn't a legitimate top-pairing defenceman at this time despite being paid like one. He's also not a smart hockey player. As for the captaincy, he doesn't deserve to have it.

At the end of the day, the Leafs are not going to do much with these two guys on the roster. At some point, Nonis is going to have to decide what's best for the team going forward and I believe that he's going to have to do that sooner rather than later.
I didn't know about the money he reportedly wants and if they even suspect that Kessel will want to test the UFA market, then I could see why they would want to move him. In that case I think they kind of have to move him unless he says he wants to stay.

I don't see Phaneuf as a legit #1 D either but I think he is a pretty good #2D on a championship caliber team. I also think he is paid too much, But if he is moved I don't think they have someone who can effectively replace him. Maybe Kessel could get a player to replace Phaneuf if he was moved and Phaneuf could be used in some form to get a chance a trading for a top line center or high end #2 center.

Either way, it will be interesting to see what happens after they had their best season in a long time.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Greg Schuler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
It's hard to say what Ottawa should look at doing in the off-season

We have some real good prospects at forward, some decent prospects on D and drafted two goalies last year; those are the resources in the pipeline

As far as the current NHL team there are three major issues: Alfie retiring, Michalek being terrible in the playoffs and constantly injured and Gonchar's contract expiring

Do we hope that the prospects can fill the holes? Seem like a good idea money-wise considering the team made the playoffs this year even with a lot of team's best players getting injured but it could really backfire if the rookies have the classic sophomore slump and the callups don't perform.

Unfortunately the FA crop this year is simply dreadful AND the Senators usually have a hard time attracting FAs anyway.

So if the team decides that simply using the prospect pool isn't good enough that leaves trades (and maybe resigning Gonchar) as the only recourse to improve the team. This is a thorny issue with the cap going down and certain teams looking at compliance buyouts: I was wondering if certain teams could use the cap crunch to incentivize trades with what are currently cap teams: Ottawa has a ton of cap space and cap teams will be looking to shed salary, if there ever was a time where a team could take on salary without sending any back it's now (and next year I guess), finding a way to get NYR or Philadelphia cap-compliant via trade without them having to use the compliance buyouts might be an attractive strategy, saving the owners a ton of money (by allowing the team to not have to use compliance buyouts) might be the incentive needed to make some truly epic trades.
I think Ottawa is on the precipice of being very good and staying very good. MacLean alone has stabilized the roster and the Murrays have concocted a steady pipeline of young usable talent. The key this off-season is getting everyone healthy and sorting out those who can play and those who cannot. The big losses of Alfredsson and Gonchar are based more on intangibles rather than production, but those are big shoes to fill. Aside from filling that void, I'd do very little if I were Ottawa.

Greg Schuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 06:47 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
It's been said that Nonis wasn't happy at the time when Kessel was acquired. Coupled with the rumors of Kessel demanding $7 million (or more) per season, the high trade value, the remaining year on his current contract, and the uncertainty of not knowing whether or not Kessel wants to stay now that Burke is no longer around, it's easy to see why Nonis would want to trade him.

As for trading Phaneuf, it's been rumored that Carlyle doesn't see him as a long-term piece of the puzzle. Not to mention, Phaneuf just isn't a legitimate top-pairing defenceman at this time despite being paid like one. He's also not a smart hockey player. As for the captaincy, he doesn't deserve to have it.

At the end of the day, the Leafs are not going to do much with these two guys on the roster. At some point, Nonis is going to have to decide what's best for the team going forward and I believe that he's going to have to do that sooner rather than later.

can you prove ANY of what you just wrote? because not ONCE have I read or heard anything about Kessel, wanting 7+ million or that randy doesn't see Phaneuf as a long term asset. Even if Kessel, does want 7+ million Nonis has to pay it you can't let top 5 RW in the NHL go if you do then you need to be fired on the spot

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Badger Mayhew

vCash: 50
Quote:

Wow, what a bunch of BS. Nothing you said is true

Badger Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 07:12 PM
GeNeXt

New Jersey Devils

Amnesty Volchenkov and/or Salvador
Let Zidlicky walk
Trade the 39th overall pick and a prospect for a late 1st
Offer Clarkson 4 years @ $4.25 million (I feel Bernier could be Clarky's replacement if he goes elsewhere.)
Offer Elias 2 years @ $5 million
Offer Zubrus 3 years @ $3 million
Sign Henrique 3 years @ $3.25 million
Sign Loktionov 3 years @ $2.5 million
Sign Harrold to 2 years @1.5 million
Sign Victor Stalberg to a 2 years $3.75 million

Stalberg-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Henrique-Elias-Clarkson
Josefson-Loktionov-Zubrus
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Greene-Fayne
Tallinder-Larsson
Harrold-Urbom

Brodeur
Hedberg

Very unlikely to happen but would be my wish

GeNeXt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Ho Borvat

Vancouver

Coaching/Management
- Everything is pretty quiet on this front so far.
- Most think AV is definitely gone, MG has an outside chance of not returning.

Should see a new coach, hopefully one with a bit more of an up tempo game.

Goaltending
- Should be self explanatory, but Luongo will be gone.
- Hopefully the return is decent.. contract aside, an elite talent who can be had for cents on the dollar. Probably gone at the draft.

Defense
- Its been awhile since Van has had promising young d-men. Tanev is a roster lock, Corrado should get serious consideration (but will likely go between AHL/NHL).
- A d-man could be moved (likely Bieksa/Edler) but would require a top-line winger (Bobby Ryan/Loui Eriksson) in return.
- Keith Ballard will be gone (dump/buy-out), Vancouver will need a cheap, reliable bottom pairing guy.

Forwards
- Mason Raymonds likely gone (doesn't fit Gillis' bigger/younger/tougher model)
- Raymond could likely return on a sweetheart deal (sub 2.5 million, short term). Don't see Raymond wanting to stick around when he could get a better opportunity in Pheonix/Fla etc.
- Vancouver needs a top line winger (either for the Sedins, or to play with Kesler).
- Vancouver needs to fix its bottom 6. Guys like Sestito/Pinnizotto cannot be on a contending teams 4th line.
- David Booth may be bought out... but I see them doing their best to wait until next summer to burn one on him (hasn't been healthy since he got here really)

Summary
- Van needs a top line winger
- 2nd/3rd line center with defensive game (Goc/Neilsen type)
- Solid bottom pairing d-man
- An entire 4th line

- Luongo will be gone (Im hoping for futures that can be flipped for above points 2-4)
- Edler could be moved for a young-prime aged top-line winger (Ryan/Eriksson/etc)

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 07:57 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Toronto should focus on 2 things over the Summer 1 is improving Defense from the Defense and getting better down the middle. no need to get a backup goalie like some have suggested Scrivens at 915 2.69 GAA is solid for a backup. they should also enter into preliminary contract talks with Kessel and Phaneuf and figure out what there plans are with those 2. and then of course listen to what else might be available but they shouldn't be overpaying anyone in UFA this year.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
- Keith Ballard will be gone (dump/buy-out), Vancouver will need a cheap, reliable bottom pairing guy.
Ballard for Sarich?

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:32 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Ballard for Sarich?
Yes please!

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:34 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
San Jose

Get offensive depth.

Get rid of Havlat either by trade or by buyout.

Re-sign our RFA's.

Try to move up in the draft.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Ballard for Sarich?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Yes please!
Eat 1 mil of his salary?

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Sorry Rangers fans but I doubt MDZ or Staal will get you Eberle..

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:22 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Eat 1 mil of his salary?
Yep done.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Kris Chreider
#Bickel4Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Sorry Rangers fans but I doubt MDZ or Staal will get you Eberle..
You're severely underrating Staal then. A young shutdown #1 defenseman on a cheap contract is exactly what Edmonton needs.

As for MDZ, no one said him for Eberle straight up. We know there'd be a nice + added on.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Badger25

As a leafs fan, I'd like to re-sign Bozak and trade Grabo. But I think Dallas is going to overpay for him if he goes to FA, meaning we'd keep Grabovski. I love Grabo and all I just don't think he's playing the role that he's best fit to under Carlyle. I think we'll end up trading MacArthur as well. Colborne impressed me and I think he deserves a spot in the top 9. We still need a top line Centre so perhaps we trade for picks and move up in the top 15.

Badger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:38 PM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
Ottawa resigns Gonchar, Condra and Wiercioch. Alfie for another year at what ever amount gets us above the cap floor or he wants. That's my plan for Ottawa and see them letting everyone else walk. Maybe a qualifying offer for Benoit for depth.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Eat 1 mil of his salary?
I don't have a problem with it, but I think ownership would. They didn't want to eat salary in a Bouwmeester deal, so it seems unlikely they would in a Sarich/Ballard swap that would see the Flames adding 6.4 million in salary over the next 2 years on a guy who could be bought out.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:05 PM
StefanW
Get well, Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus View Post
Ottawa resigns Gonchar, Condra and Wiercioch. Alfie for another year at what ever amount gets us above the cap floor or he wants. That's my plan for Ottawa and see them letting everyone else walk. Maybe a qualifying offer for Benoit for depth.
Yup, but you forgot Hoffman who definitely needs to be resigned as well. And I would only re-sign Gonchar if he accepts a one year deal, because he is already in decline and likely to be a liability in 2 years time (at which point we will also need cap space to re-sign the kids who are on cheap contracts right now).

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:29 PM
vannzee
Ruslan Salei fan...

Forgot to mention I hope that my Wings add D Chad Billins to their reserved list from Grand Rapids. He's earned an NHL deal somewhere.

vannzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 02:24 PM
TML91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger25 View Post
As a leafs fan, I'd like to re-sign Bozak and trade Grabo. But I think Dallas is going to overpay for him if he goes to FA, meaning we'd keep Grabovski. I love Grabo and all I just don't think he's playing the role that he's best fit to under Carlyle. I think we'll end up trading MacArthur as well. Colborne impressed me and I think he deserves a spot in the top 9. We still need a top line Centre so perhaps we trade for picks and move up in the top 15.
I would like to keep Bozak as well pay him 3.5 to 3.8 macarthur is a ufa so no need to trade him and if some how can trade 1 of komisarek, grabo, and liles then buyout the other 2 and get our top d man to play with Dion and sign Clarkson

TML91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanW View Post
Yup, but you forgot Hoffman who definitely needs to be resigned as well. And I would only re-sign Gonchar if he accepts a one year deal, because he is already in decline and likely to be a liability in 2 years time (at which point we will also need cap space to re-sign the kids who are on cheap contracts right now).
I wouldn't call him declining but we do need to make room for Ceci after next year.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Badger25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML91 View Post
I would like to keep Bozak as well pay him 3.5 to 3.8 macarthur is a ufa so no need to trade him and if some how can trade 1 of komisarek, grabo, and liles then buyout the other 2 and get our top d man to play with Dion and sign Clarkson
ideally, that's what I would like to pay Bozak too, but I think he'll fetch a lot more than that. long term he fits on the leafs third line IMO, but for the time being he's our #1 centre. Perhaps a short term deal at ~4m until we at least get Phil re-signed. Signing him also frees up Grabo for trade and would make our centres Bozak, Kadri, Colborne, and McClement. I think McKegg will fight for a spot at camp as well.

Badger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:44 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeNeXt View Post
New Jersey Devils

Amnesty Volchenkov and/or Salvador
Let Zidlicky walk
Trade the 39th overall pick and a prospect for a late 1st
Offer Clarkson 4 years @ $4.25 million (I feel Bernier could be Clarky's replacement if he goes elsewhere.)
Offer Elias 2 years @ $5 million
Offer Zubrus 3 years @ $3 million
Sign Henrique 3 years @ $3.25 million
Sign Loktionov 3 years @ $2.5 million
Sign Harrold to 2 years @1.5 million
Sign Victor Stalberg to a 2 years $3.75 million

Stalberg-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Henrique-Elias-Clarkson
Josefson-Loktionov-Zubrus
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Greene-Fayne
Tallinder-Larsson
Harrold-Urbom

Brodeur
Hedberg

Very unlikely to happen but would be my wish
thats god-awful

1) Stalberg on the top line? hell to the no. hes a good bottom 6 but shouldnt be anywhere near our top 6

2) Zids is currently out best puck moving D and best PP player until Larsson steps into the role

3) Fayne playing top pair minutes? no.

4) Clarkson should NOT be in our top 6, and in no way shape or form would Bernier be any kind of replacement if he walks

5) Loktionov at 2.5M??? thats mad. a 1-2yr 1.5M "prove it" contract at best. he played barely half a season with us

KaossKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:50 PM
BowDangles

Edmonton

Trade for a top pairing defence man (take a chance on acquiring Tyler Myers)
sign/trade for a top six physical presence (Horton or Clarkson)
sign/trade for a top 4 defence man
sign/trade 3-4 bottom six forwards
sign/trade a back up that can push Dubnyk

Buyout Belanger
Hope and pray that Smyth retires..

Sign Gagner to a 4-4.5 long term deal.
trade Hemsky for a effective bottom six forward with term

??? - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Gagner - Yakupov
??? - Horcoff - ???
??? - Lander - Brown

??? - J. Schultz