HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 8.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Mercury10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
i know Timmins said the scout's job is to project a player's level but the only way you can do that is by basing it on what he shows you now, not on what you think he may show you.

Jones can fill out another 100 pounds and not lose any speed but if he plays the way he plays now, it makes no difference.

As for your generalizations about small speedy players I guess you would take a big d-man before you would take Crosby, Giroux, Yzerman or Ovechkin? MacKinnon I think is in that group of players.

As for your comment about the World Juniors, Mac was 1) mishandled by the Canadian coach and 2) if we combine the two tournaments Mackinnon's play at the Memorial Cup completely dwarfed anything Jones did at the juniors or at the Memorial. A point which returns to my initial comment about Jones. I don't think he can raise the level of his game. MacKinnon has shown he can not only raise it but raise it to an elite level. This kid can carry a team. I don't feel Jones can.

Anyway, as I mentioned this is only my uninformed opinion and I know I'm in the very small minority.
I agree with you onice, at the wjhc I saw Jones directly responsible for goals against his own team when he bobbled the puck and/or made poor decisions in his own end. I think there were 3 goals that were solely caused by him. I don't see him being able to keep up with speedy fwds in the NHL unless he improves his hips and his turning ability while skating backwards. Adding 20-30lbs will only compound the situation. He clearly could not keep up with N-Mac in the Memorial Cup.
I would take N-Mac over SJ all day long.
SJ could go on to become a dominant #1 Dman in the NHL but right now regardless of team needs, I'd take N-Mac #1.
My choice is based on who they are right now as I have no track record, experience or crystal ball to help me with projecting where both players will be in 5 years.

Old
05-27-2013, 08:01 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
That's Boisvert way of thinking though. He reads and listens what people have...and goes in a different direction. He's still surfing on his great scouting of Skinner. But like any others, and despite how he handles himself, he has his share of misses.

Mind you....I can't entirely disagree with his order in forwards. Nichuskin could power forward his way the same way MacKinnon can and beyond based on his size. And what Barkov did in Europe is nothing short but spectacular. If anything, it means that it's a heck of a draft.
I personally can't stand him. He's very arrogant. He sure loves to go against the tides...

Old
05-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Nedved

would you be upset if we take Morrissey in the 1st, and then hagg with our 1st 2nd?

Old
05-27-2013, 08:14 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
would you be upset if we take Morrissey in the 1st, and then hagg with our 1st 2nd?
I can only go by what I've read and I'd say really upset.

Old
05-27-2013, 08:15 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
I'd destroy everything within my sight. One D man is fine.. taking two would just make me fly off the handle. We need talent up front.

Old
05-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
I can only go by what I've read and I'd say really upset.
what did you read? about either player?

Old
05-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'd destroy everything within my sight. One D man is fine.. taking two would just make me fly off the handle. We need talent up front.
ya, I see this is a fairly deep draft up front. I suppose we don't end up with morrissey, and draft a d man that falls outside the 1st.

Old
05-27-2013, 08:19 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
what did you read? about either player?
Very little actually. I'm not calling myself an expert but Morrissey seems solid if unspectacular. Hagg is just a puck moving offensive D right?

If we draft 2 D men with our first two picks, one better be Morin. Don't jump all over me too much I'm incredibly unknowledgeable about the draft. They could very well turn out great but it just seems there's so many solid forwards we could have.

Old
05-27-2013, 08:26 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
See this is where I have a problem. BPA is BPA. Yea we're thinner than Bulimia up front, but if the better prospect isn't a forward, I don't care.

Old
05-27-2013, 08:30 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
See this is where I have a problem. BPA is BPA. Yea we're thinner than Bulimia up front, but if the better prospect isn't a forward, I don't care.
I think when you're dealing with 3 picks in the 24-36 range, you can find a damn good forward instead of taking 2-3 D man.

The only D man I wanna see us take with any of our first 3 picks is McCoshen.

Old
05-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Bourdon101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriksen View Post
Why is'nt there more talk about this kid

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=39022

He has produced wherever he has played, and swedes rave about his hockey sense.

He posted better numbers than both de la Rose and Burakovsky and even Collberg in Allsvenskan this year.

He has ok size but is a bit slight, this might be due to the fact that he has had surgeries in the offseason the past two summers.

He is also one of the youngest players available for this draft
That right there has been my dark horse for a while. I think he is very talented. He has the playmaking skills to go high but size is a concern and has not recieved much publicity from large tournaments. He is a typical Swedish playmaker good defensively and will probably go higher than expected, I advocate taking a risk on him in the 3rd or 4th if avalible

Old
05-27-2013, 09:46 PM
niftymove

About Lucas Wallmark, Habs scouts certainly know him, since he is a teamate of our own Erik Nystrom with Karlskrona.

For that matter, he has a slightly better record than Nystrom, but two year younger.

Old
05-27-2013, 10:19 PM
MrNasty

Quote:
It's pretty hard to peer into the future and know the Habs needs in a few years. They drfated 7 forwards and one d-man last year. I for one will be pissed if they keep loading up on forwards exclusively.

Old
05-27-2013, 10:32 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
That would be awesome! I find our D prospects to be massively overrated at this point and there's really nothing sure with them. Beaulieu has potential but he might never develop into anything more than a 4th dmen for all we know. Tinordi is also an interesting prospect but he's also far from a sure thing. Nygren has never played an NHL game and is an average skaer. Ellis might never reach the NHL. Sure all those guys have upside and COULD become useful NHLers, I'm not denying that. But if there's one thing we have to keep in mind, every freaking year, here on hfboards we see many posters doing their projections of our future line up with our prospects. Fact is, it's not even 20% of the projected NHLers (by the posters here) that even make it to the NHL.

IMO, top4 quality dmen are freaking hard to find. They cost a lot in trades and they're hard to get via free agency. I'd rather draft a guy that could become a quality dman instead of a future 2nd liner. Also, when we look at our team, the defense isn't solid. That means what we have right now as out top4 isn't good enough. We need better players than Gorges, Emelin, Diaz and etc.

Old
05-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

For a later pick, Axel Blomqvist ?

Old
05-27-2013, 10:43 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
It's pretty hard to peer into the future and know the Habs needs in a few years. They drfated 7 forwards and one d-man last year. I for one will be pissed if they keep loading up on forwards exclusively.
So what about the fact that 12 forwards and only 6 defensemen usually dress for a game. That's a ratio of two to one.

In the system we have: Tinordi, Beaulieu, Bennet, Ellis, Dietz, Thrower, Nygren, Didier & Pateryn with reasonable chances of making the team. That's 9 defensive prospects.

You think we have 18 forwards with decent prospects of making the team?

Kristo
Nattinen
Colberg
Bozon
Hudon
MacMillan
Bourinval
Leblanc
Dumont
Holland

That's only 10. We're still missing 8 to keep pace with our forward/defencemen ratio. If we draft all forwards we'll still be behind.

Old
05-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
That would be awesome! I find our D prospects to be massively overrated at this point and there's really nothing sure with them. Beaulieu has potential but he might never develop into anything more than a 4th dmen for all we know. Tinordi is also an interesting prospect but he's also far from a sure thing. Nygren has never played an NHL game and is an average skaer. Ellis might never reach the NHL. Sure all those guys have upside and COULD become useful NHLers, I'm not denying that. But if there's one thing we have to keep in mind, every freaking year, here on hfboards we see many posters doing their projections of our future line up with our prospects. Fact is, it's not even 20% of the projected NHLers (by the posters here) that even make it to the NHL.

IMO, top4 quality dmen are freaking hard to find. They cost a lot in trades and they're hard to get via free agency. I'd rather draft a guy that could become a quality dman instead of a future 2nd liner. Also, when we look at our team, the defense isn't solid. That means what we have right now as out top4 isn't good enough. We need better players than Gorges, Emelin, Diaz and etc.
I'd prefer if we drafted one of Hagg and Morrissey and a bigger, stronger d-men with one of our 2nd round picks.

Old
05-27-2013, 11:07 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
So what about the fact that 12 forwards and only 6 defensemen usually dress for a game. That's a ratio of two to one.

In the system we have: Tinordi, Beaulieu, Bennet, Ellis, Dietz, Thrower, Nygren, Didier & Pateryn with reasonable chances of making the team. That's 9 defensive prospects.

You think we have 18 forwards with decent prospects of making the team?

Kristo
Nattinen
Colberg
Bozon
Hudon
MacMillan
Bourinval
Leblanc
Dumont
Holland

That's only 10. We're still missing 8 to keep pace with our forward/defencemen ratio. If we draft all forwards we'll still be behind.
this. Our D prospects are more a lock than our forwards IMO. We have an almost urgent need of gritty forwards. There's too many forwards to be had that fill that need that could be a huge boon to a very solid group of prospects.

Like everybody's saying, 15-45 is so close that organizational need would have to play a part. Gritty, big, skilled forwards who can fit in the top 9 don't get traded often enough to give me confidence that we can simply acquire one outside the draft.

In the end I'll trust TT. I think he's been brilliant the last 3 drafts.

Old
05-27-2013, 11:31 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Stéphane Leroux was just on l'Antichambre, and he said that he expects at least 2 picks from the 'Q this season, considering how strong the crop is. He said that the scouting group would have to be silly to pick no players from the 'Q.

Old
05-27-2013, 11:58 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

When someone like Dudley says they want to build the team from the net out, either he's a bag of hot air or he's trying to tell the Montreal fans something.

Old
05-28-2013, 03:22 AM
Walksss

Quote:
I think when you're dealing with 3 picks in the 24-36 range, you can find a damn good forward instead of taking 2-3 D man.

The only D man I wanna see us take with any of our first 3 picks is McCoshen.
You'd be upset with Morin if he fell to us? I'd be stoked to get him.

Old
05-28-2013, 06:41 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walksss View Post
You'd be upset with Morin if he fell to us? I'd be stoked to get him.
Yes, I don't want Morin. Every year the fans get obsessed over some tall D man and think he'll be our answer to Chara.

Old
05-28-2013, 07:05 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Yes, I don't want Morin. Every year the fans get obsessed over some tall D man and think he'll be our answer to Chara.
Unless.....he's a tall man and an answer to Chara?

Personnally, I don't see his upside as a 1st rounder. But 2nd round? For sure.

Old
05-28-2013, 07:20 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Unless.....he's a tall man and an answer to Chara?

Personnally, I don't see his upside as a 1st rounder. But 2nd round? For sure.
So you think there is a marked difference in the upside of players that will be available at 25/23 and 34/36?

Regrettably, I think Morin will be long gone before our first round draft pick so the point is moot.

Old
05-28-2013, 08:05 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
So you think there is a marked difference in the upside of players that will be available at 25/23 and 34/36?

Regrettably, I think Morin will be long gone before our first round draft pick so the point is moot.
That's a very good question, I don't personally think there's that much difference, especially this draft.

But for the media there are the first round picks, and then the other picks. They don't get the same attention.

As for Morin, we'll see. I think he should be there around our pick.

Closed Thread