HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 8.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2013, 07:13 AM
Estimated_Prophet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
We need more picks, another late 1st and mid 2nd rounder would be great... way too many interesting prospects.
This is the type of draft that has a number of players who will be available in the 2nd round who could eventually develop into frontline players who would have went in the top ten when you look back five years from now. With four picks in the first two rounds it is tough not to get excited about the possibilities.

Timmins is among the best in the business if not the best......this could be a real turning point for the franchise although I suspect last years draft will be looked back upon as the initial turning point.

Old
05-29-2013, 07:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
We need more picks, another late 1st and mid 2nd rounder would be great... way too many interesting prospects.
We have 6 picks in the 1st 3 rounds and 3 in the top 36 picks overall, we have more than enough. If we can trade Weber or Kaberle to add another, fine but I wouldn't trade any regulars for more picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
I saw that some people mentioned Lucas Wallmark a couple of pages back, so I thought I could share this. My brother is a great friend with Lucas older brother and I can confirm with 100% accuracy that Montreal haven't had any contact with Lucas yet. The three teams that seems to be most interested in Lucas is Buffalo, Detroit and Los Angeles.

Does this mean Montreal won't draft him? No, but I think it's unlikely.
They may be waiting for the Combine to talk to him...or in June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
I agree. I'm a huge fan of Klimchuk. Think he could be a very special player with unique offensive skills. Really hope the Habs scoop him up if the opportunity is there.
He is a guy that would be a good pick at 24/25, his profile reminds me a lot of Lupul. Natulat skill guy with a decent all around game. I think he'll end up a better pro than Mantha and Zykov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
I'd be ecstatic to have Domi. We would go out the 1st round with the biggest steal. After that you pick bigger players with the 2nd rounders.. in the 1st round, you cannot opt for anything other than BPA! Especially at 25th overall.
Yeah if Domi ever gets to our pick size should go out the door, you don't pass on that kind of skill at 24/25.

Last edited by Monctonscout: 05-29-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old
05-29-2013, 07:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

So the stage is set with LA winning...if Chicago wins we pick #25, if Detroit wins we get #24.(Pittsburgh Boston LA Anaheim Chicago already behind us at 30,29,28,27,26).

Old
05-29-2013, 07:31 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury10 View Post
Just wondering what you guys think if the Habs made a move up to draft Nurse? Like lets say he somehow makes it past Philly at 11th? Would he be a player to target in a trade up? I don't think he will fall but on paper he seems like the kinda guy the Habs need. Thoughts?
I expect Nurse gone around #10-12, that would be too much/costly of a jump. I don't see TT and MB swapping a bunch of picks for one player. I can see them moving one pick(3rd or our 2nd) to move 3-6 spots max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
The new ISS draft listing is out. With our first these are the players that are still on the table:

Compher
Domi
Petan
Heatherington
McCarron
Bigras
Morin

Domi, Heatherington, & Morin look real enticing along with Petan & McCarron a little further back
I don't see Domi getting too far past #15, ISS is drunk and they are way off on 3-4 of the top prospects. Compher would be sweet but again, should be gone top 20, he fits the mold of what MB wants(speed, skill and compete level). Petan is more a candidate at #34 and #36 IMHO. Morin would be hard to pass up, but like Domi I see him more 15-20 than 21-26.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I know he's another borderline overager like Mantha, but watching his tape in the WJCU20, I couldn't help but be super impressed with the talent and play Alexander Wennberg. He's on my radar at 25.

Wenneberg would be a great pick, speed and skill plus strong all around game. Doubt he makes it to the 20's, I see him going 12-17 range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Red Line are real fans of Mantha:

Sounds like the perfect Hab, a huge, lazy, soft, one-dimensional Quebecois scorer. Would drive this forum crazy in so many ways.
Manatha fits the mold of what MB doesn't like. Passion/grit seems to be lacking in Mantha, I'd be shocked if he slips out of the 1st round...I'd also be shocked if we draft him.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:01 AM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by didjuicythat View Post
Interesting paper on Morgan Klimchuk. Don't believe it has been posted on the Habs board yet.

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/blog/ki...organ_Klimchuk
A thrill to be drafted by the Bruins? A Flames fan?

NO DRAFT FOR ME:

Old
05-29-2013, 08:05 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAARRRSSSS View Post
This bothers me.

Yes we need talent up front, but we should always take BPA regardless. We can balance out our prospect pool later via trades, and the more valuable the players in our pool, the better the return.

If two players are of equal value (say 100 Timmins points) by the time we draft, by all means take the forward. But if we're hesitating between a D-man worth 110 Timmins points and a forward worth 100 Timmins points, draft the D, develop him so that he is a valuable asset and trade him for a forward worth 110 Timmins points (or more) when the time is right.

(P.S. Morrissey and Hagg with our first two picks would be an amazing draft, no matter the state of our prospect pool.)
Couldn't agree more.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:10 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
I stand corrected, however, for some reason I see him as a less favorable player than others that we could pick at that spot. Because the reality is, we have Pleks,Gally and Eller as centers. We should focus on drafting wingers. But you are right, I havent seen Lazar much so I can't really comment on his upside.
I don't like drafting based on current needs and current players in the lineup. By the time the guys we draft this year are ready to have an impact (3-5 years), chances are the center position will look a lot different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simerc View Post
A lot of people seem to have him falling down the rankings, but I still see him as the second or third best defenseman in the draft: Ryan Pulock. Fits your criteria and if by some miracle(s) he's available when Habs pick, it's a no brainer.
Absolutely. The kid's a stud. No chance in hell he falls to 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
But it is McDavid. Who didn't he make look stupid? I like Hagg with our pick. The kid has untapped potential on both sides. Great size, would need to bring the consistency as 95% of the kids.
You're right. Hagg has great upside. Same goes for Bowey... So much talent and room for growth in his game.

Last edited by Fozz: 05-29-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old
05-29-2013, 08:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I don't like drafting based on current needs and current players in the lineup. By the time the guys we draft this year are ready to have an impact (3-5 years), chances are the center position will look a lot different.

Agreed, plus there are trades and a lot of NHL wingers were centers when drafted.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:26 AM
Dada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Timmins has outdrafted Detroit by a mile.......should be the other way around.
Maybe your exagerating a little, they are probably the best at drafting past the first 2 rounds, they rarely/never draft before the 20th position and are always competitive. Of course their development system has a role to play in this.. But still, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Franzen, Holmstrom, Ericsson, Howard, Nyquist, Kindl, Filpula, Abdelkader, etc... All these picks are not a mile away from Timmins pick in my humble opinion.

Last edited by Dada: 05-29-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old
05-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dada View Post
Maybe your exagerating a little, they are probably the best at drafting past the first 2 rounds, they rarely/never draft before the 20th position and are always competitive. Of course their development system has a role to play in this.. But still, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Franzen, Holmstrom, Ericsson, Howard, Nyquist, Kindl, Cleary, Filpula, Abdelkader, etc... All these picks are not a mile away from Timmins pick in my humble opinion.
Their last "great" picks were in 98 and 99 with Zetterberg and Datsyuk. The 14 years since are average to slightly avbove average. Guys like Franzen Ericsson Filippula are good picks but every team has players outside the 1st round playing top minutes. Datsyuk Zetterberg and Listrom were drafted TWO decades ago.

Cleary was a Chicago pick and Detroit signed him as a UFA.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:46 AM
Dada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Their last "great" picks were in 98 and 99 with Zetterberg and Datsyuk. The 14 years since are average to slightly avbove average. Guys like Franzen Ericsson Filippula are good picks but every team has players outside the 1st round playing top minutes. Datsyuk Zetterberg and Listrom were drafted TWO decades ago.

Cleary was a Chicago pick and Detroit signed him as a UFA.
I know but even without Dats and Zet, they're still pretty good, they have the golden touch...you have to admit they know how to develop their youngsters..they all have a few years of experience in the Ahl before jumping in the big league

Old
05-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Maybe your exagerating a little, they are probably the best at drafting past the first 2 rounds, they rarely/never draft before the 20th position and are always competitive. Of course their development system has a role to play in this.. But still, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Franzen, Holmstrom, Ericsson, Howard, Nyquist, Kindl, Filpula, Abdelkader, etc... All these picks are not a mile away from Timmins pick in my humble opinion.
Detroit's true advantage is not drafting as much as how they develop their players. No team makes sure a guy is ready before promoting him to the big league.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I know but even without Dats and Zet, they're still pretty good, they have the golden touch...you have to admit they know how to develop their youngsters..they all have a few years of experience in the Ahl before jumping in the big league
If you look at their drafting since 2000 it's nothing special.

I agree on their development model, I hope MB keeps that approach, he preached it when he was hired. I would prefer Tinordi start AHL next year and sign a UFA d-man plus Drewiske as #7.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:39 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
If you look at their drafting since 2000 it's nothing special.

I agree on their development model, I hope MB keeps that approach, he preached it when he was hired. I would prefer Tinordi start AHL next year and sign a UFA d-man plus Drewiske as #7.
I would disagree with that plan. Tinordi has already showed in his late season call-ups and his play in the playoffs that he is NHL ready. He will learn little by playing big minutes in the AHL against lesser competition. Will he make mistakes playing with the big team next year? Of course. But so will Subban, Markov, etc. With the loss of Emelin as he recovers from major reconstructive knee surgery, there will be a clear need for the physicality that Tinordi can and will bring. I would save the big minutes in Hamilton for those players who clearly require additional seasoning. As for Drewiske, he is at best a journeyman in the NHL and if required to play anything more than a part time / fill in role, this team will be life and death to make the playoffs.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:41 AM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Domi, Rychel and Burakowsky all have strong bloodlines.. Who else? As we know, Timmins values them highly.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:53 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Detroit's true advantage is not drafting as much as how they develop their players. No team makes sure a guy is ready before promoting him to the big league.
Detroit's true advantage is they don't waste picks on BPA.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:01 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
We have 6 picks in the 1st 3 rounds and 3 in the top 36 picks overall, we have more than enough. If we can trade Weber or Kaberle to add another, fine but I wouldn't trade any regulars for more picks.

He is a guy that would be a good pick at 24/25, his profile reminds me a lot of Lupul. Natulat skill guy with a decent all around game. I think he'll end up a better pro than Mantha and Zykov.

Yeah if Domi ever gets to our pick size should go out the door, you don't pass on that kind of skill at 24/25.
I agree with pretty much everything you wrote here. You don't pass on Domi at 25 if he is still there, but honestly, I don't think there's 1 chance in hell of him being there, so for me it's kind of moot.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:01 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
I would disagree with that plan. Tinordi has already showed in his late season call-ups and his play in the playoffs that he is NHL ready. He will learn little by playing big minutes in the AHL against lesser competition. Will he make mistakes playing with the big team next year? Of course. But so will Subban, Markov, etc. With the loss of Emelin as he recovers from major reconstructive knee surgery, there will be a clear need for the physicality that Tinordi can and will bring. I would save the big minutes in Hamilton for those players who clearly require additional seasoning. As for Drewiske, he is at best a journeyman in the NHL and if required to play anything more than a part time / fill in role, this team will be life and death to make the playoffs.
Tinordi has shown flashes, but he was the weakest link at playoff time. There were 3-4 goals directly his fault from giving Pageau like 20 feet inside the blueline to walk in to the "kicked in" goal in game 4. I think spending most of next year playing bigger minutes and developping without the bright lights of the NHL would help him more.

I could see giving him 5-10 games if Emelin misses the start of the season, but I would rather sign a veteran like Regehr or Fistric and have him keep developping AHL than plan on him being a top 6 guy all year.

For Drewiske...hence why I suggested him as #7. A guy taht can step in and not hurt you on the ice and lets the young guys develop AHL instead of in Montreal in the press box.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:07 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Domi, Rychel and Burakowsky all have strong bloodlines.. Who else? As we know, Timmins values them highly.
Who cares? Maybe we can draft Justin Trudeau, he has pretty good bloodlines. What do Pederson, Vallis, Bilodeau, Ryan, Brown, Ryan, Higgins, Ward and Chouinard have in common? All were first round draft choices of Montreal who came into the draft with acknowledged limitations and deficiencies in their skating. None made it. Year after year of drafting futility. Rychel has limited skating ability. We should not even be considering him. Let some other team assume the risk that he will improve this vital skill. It is interesting that many have said we should be trying to 'hit a home run' with our first round choice. That's a metaphor for saying 'let's draft a player with a high upside'. With Rychel, you are trying to hit a single: that he even makes the NHL.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:09 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
I expect Nurse gone around #10-12, that would be too much/costly of a jump. I don't see TT and MB swapping a bunch of picks for one player. I can see them moving one pick(3rd or our 2nd) to move 3-6 spots max.

I don't see Domi getting too far past #15, ISS is drunk and they are way off on 3-4 of the top prospects. Compher would be sweet but again, should be gone top 20, he fits the mold of what MB wants(speed, skill and compete level). Petan is more a candidate at #34 and #36 IMHO. Morin would be hard to pass up, but like Domi I see him more 15-20 than 21-26.

Wenneberg would be a great pick, speed and skill plus strong all around game. Doubt he makes it to the 20's, I see him going 12-17 range.

Manatha fits the mold of what MB doesn't like. Passion/grit seems to be lacking in Mantha, I'd be shocked if he slips out of the 1st round...I'd also be shocked if we draft him.
I agree with pretty much everything you have wrote and especially the emboldened parts. I see Wenneberg as a "real sleeper pick" and wouldn't be surprised to see him slip into the top 10 but no way in hell he is there even close to when Habs pick, age notwithstanding. Just my opinion, but once you get past the first 6-8 picks, I think Wenneberg deserves serious consideration. This guy looks "blue chip" to me.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:17 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
Who cares? Maybe we can draft Justin Trudeau, he has pretty good bloodlines. What do Pederson, Vallis, Bilodeau, Ryan, Brown, Ryan, Higgins, Ward and Chouinard have in common? All were first round draft choices of Montreal who came into the draft with acknowledged limitations and deficiencies in their skating. None made it. Year after year of drafting futility. Rychel has limited skating ability. We should not even be considering him. Let some other team assume the risk that he will improve this vital skill. It is interesting that many have said we should be trying to 'hit a home run' with our first round choice. That's a metaphor for saying 'let's draft a player with a high upside'. With Rychel, you are trying to hit a single: that he even makes the NHL.
I'm also skeptical that Rychel would keep the "nasty" in his game were he to make the NHL. IMO, we'd be drafting a one-timer. I don't exactly think that the reason we've been eliminated from the playoffs the last few years was because we didn't have a good enough one-timer at our disposal.

We need guys who have some agency over the flow of the games in which they play.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:18 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Tinordi has shown flashes, but he was the weakest link at playoff time. There were 3-4 goals directly his fault from giving Pageau like 20 feet inside the blueline to walk in to the "kicked in" goal in game 4. I think spending most of next year playing bigger minutes and developping without the bright lights of the NHL would help him more.

I could see giving him 5-10 games if Emelin misses the start of the season, but I would rather sign a veteran like Regehr or Fistric and have him keep developping AHL than plan on him being a top 6 guy all year.

For Drewiske...hence why I suggested him as #7. A guy taht can step in and not hurt you on the ice and lets the young guys develop AHL instead of in Montreal in the press box.
No question he made mistakes. But so did Galchenyuk. I see no one considering sending him to Hamilton to develop his game. I believe that once a player reaches a certain level of development he will only improve if he plays against superior competition. If this was not true, then why not send Tinordi to the ECHL, where he could play 40 minutes a game? The answer to this absurd suggestion is simple: because the level of competition wouldn't challenge him and his development would atrophy. Tinordi belongs in the NHL where he will soon be a core player and leader on this team.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:

Wut?

The weakest link on D in those playoffs was the Gorges - Diaz pair. And it wasn't even close.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:31 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Eric Comrie, Adam Tambellini, Jordan Subban, Ryan Fitzgerald...

Justin Bailey's dad was a NFL linebacker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
How would you guys rank the 15ish to 25ish forwards? I've got a tough time ranking them, but I'd be happy with any of

Erne
Wennberg
Gauthier
Zykov
Mantha
Hartman

Anyone you'd add?
Wennberg
Erne
Lazar
Zykov
Hartman
Gauthier
Mantha
Rychel

I could be convinced to add Klimchuk and Burakowsky to the group, but would prefer to pick them early 2nd.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:36 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I'm also skeptical that Rychel would keep the "nasty" in his game were he to make the NHL. IMO, we'd be drafting a one-timer. I don't exactly think that the reason we've been eliminated from the playoffs the last few years was because we didn't have a good enough one-timer at our disposal.

We need guys who have some agency over the flow of the games in which they play.
In a draft like this for there to be any material question as to whether a player taken in the first round may even make the NHL, is reason enough to consider the many other options that will be available at 25/24. Let some other team assume that risk. I say: Pass. Pass. Pass.

Closed Thread