HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 8.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2013, 12:50 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Edmonton GM said publicly that he's very receptive about any offer for their 1st rounder this year - 7th overall.

Remember, Jordan Staal was traded for the 8th overall pick (Solid pick with Pouliot) + Dumoulin and Sutter(huge piece of the trade).

I believe we could somehow trade for the 7th overall by adding less pieces.

7th overall: it could leave us Lindholm or Nichushkin..which would bring our top 6 to another level in a near future.

Honestly, I'd trade up to pick Bo Horvat..somewhere between 10-12th overall.
Why would we be able to trade up for a higher pick by giving up less pieces in what's supposed to be a better draft? I'm not seeing the logic there.

And I like Horvat, but trading up for a guy whose stock is on a meteoric rise after a stellar playoffs/Mem Cup is asking for trouble.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:55 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Edmonton GM said publicly that he's very receptive about any offer for their 1st rounder this year - 7th overall.
Starting with one of Tinordi or Beaulieu would might get them listening. I'm not sure I'd trade Tinordi however unless Timmins believes a future superstar is still there for the picking.

Would Edmonton be interested in Gorges? Something like Gorges, first rnd + 2nd rounder for 7th overall? I love Gorges but that would be glorious.

Old
05-21-2013, 03:45 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Starting with one of Tinordi or Beaulieu would might get them listening. I'm not sure I'd trade Tinordi however unless Timmins believes a future superstar is still there for the picking.

Would Edmonton be interested in Gorges? Something like Gorges, first rnd + 2nd rounder for 7th overall? I love Gorges but that would be glorious.
I think Gorges would have to be packaged with 10 first rounders to get us a 7th overall, hahaha. Not trying to be a d*ck but Gorges just came off a pretty weak season. Edmonton could be getting Nurse in that spot. From what I hear about Nurse, I can't see them coveting Gorges that much.

Old
05-21-2013, 07:04 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Zadorov hasn't looked right in weeks, every time the Knights are on TV he plays far below the level he was at mid-season.

He might be tired after his first long season in North America.
He's surely not playing bad hockey.
I still see him being rough around the net and on the boards and he plays sound a positional game.
I'd agree that he's invisible, though.

Old
05-21-2013, 07:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Watch closer, then.
Oh, and don't base yourself on one game, please.
Great condasending post.

I have seen him both games and he isn't playing like a guy who is 6'5". He's trying to be a skill guy and not using his size.

Old
05-21-2013, 07:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubercron9000 View Post
Anybody think that we may make a trade to get a lower 1st in the 10 overall type?

I'm wondering if a guy like Beaulieu or dehairnais can fetch us an extra first in the early first.
Why would we trade Beaulieu for a 1st rounder when he is only a year from making a contribution at the NHL level?

Old
05-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Great condasending post.

I have seen him both games and he isn't playing like a guy who is 6'5". He's trying to be a skill guy and not using his size.
Last night was ******** night on HF, I was condescending.

Zadorov doesn't play a Gorges kind of game, if that is what you want to see. He's pretty good with his stick and he has good hockey IQ, when he gets physical is down low.

Old
05-21-2013, 07:22 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
That's a very good point. I'd consider us going the safer route with our 1st (i.e. Gauthier, Mccoshen, Hartman) and taking some of the higher risk players with our 2nds (i.e. Burakowsky, Carrier, Morin etc.). I'd be very happy if we got Gauthier with our first.
You don't have to be safe and then take some risks...

You can have a pretty good idea if a guy will make it or not. If you look at the last few first round picks drafted by Timmins, pretty much all of them are gonna play in the NHL. How good will they be? That's the question...but they are NHLers.

Most of the time, Timmins goes for the in between guys...not the player with the highest potential, and not the player with the worst downside. I think he's gonna keep drafting this way.

Old
05-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post

You can have a pretty good idea if a guy will make it or not. If you look at the last few first round picks drafted by Timmins, pretty much all of them are gonna play in the NHL. How good will they be? That's the question...but they are NHLers.

Most of the time, Timmins goes for the in between guys...not the player with the highest potential, and not the player with the worst downside. I think he's gonna keep drafting this way.
exactly.

when you end up with guys like pacioretty, mcdonagh, beaulieu, tinordi, leblanc, subban, kristo, etc...he is doing something right and that's not including his time spent in ottawa.

these are some potential core players, and guys you can build around and you pick up a few odds and ends like prust. He's done a fantastic job, glad he's our head scout.

Old
05-21-2013, 09:00 AM
S Bah

If Ottawa and Detroit win their series, the Habs will choose 23rd overall. At 23rd Bergevin has a good chip at the table with say Montreal's 2nd and Dallas's 3rd to move up to 18th overall.

Then move Calgary's 2nd and the 18th for the 13th.The Habs can either do it that way or take all of those picks and a roster player and trade them to Carolina, Calgary or Edmonton for the 5th, 6th or 7th overall. This would leave them with really good choices in the 1st (5th) and 2nd (34th), with their 3rd, 6th and 7th round choices.

At 5th the Habs can draft a franchise type of player to join Galchenyuk. Nicushkin LW/RW is the epitome of a PF and his KHL contract is over in two yrs. Max Domi is the player I call the Whirling Dervish stickhandling genius and the player that I would love to have play with Galchenyuk and Collberg. Just a nightmare for goalies throughout the NHL.

The two Swedes Lindholm and Wennberg both great Centers and either one could play on a line with Galchenyuk and Collberg, to form a great line. There is always a Euro-line featuring Wennberg LW (He plays all forward positions) Eller (Center) and Collberg RW, that would be a great line also IMHO. Last option is Nicushkin LW - Galchenyuk C - Collberg RW truly an unstoppable line also.

If the Habs go with Darnell Nurse and follow that with Samuel Morin at 34th, they will have their defence for the future. Imagine that defence; Beaulieu, Bennett, Deitz, Diaz, Didier, Emelin, Gorges, Morin, Nurse, Subban, Thrower and last but not least Tinordi.

This defence will give the Bergevin the players needed to trade for the final pieces they would need to ice a "Elite Team" future Stanley Cup contender for years to come. Now at 5th the Habs could get lucky and Drouin could fall to them, getting the most prolific offensive player in the draft. Drouin's quite simply a franchise player without any doubt and given the core players they already have, the offence becomes as good or better than any in the NHL.

These trades could make the 2013 draft, the 2nd Entry Draft in two years the Habs draft a Franchise type of player. Now if only all the teams cooperate with Bergevin and trade him their draft choices, so getting the Habs in the position they so honestly deserve IMHO.

Old
05-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
At 5th the Habs can draft

there's is almost zero possibility of the habs getting into the top 5-7 this year. you're scenario will not happen.

Old
05-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
exactly.

when you end up with guys like pacioretty, mcdonagh, beaulieu, tinordi, leblanc, subban, kristo, etc...he is doing something right and that's not including his time spent in ottawa.

these are some potential core players, and guys you can build around and you pick up a few odds and ends like prust. He's done a fantastic job, glad he's our head scout.
You have to pick your spots in terms of when to be "safe" and when to gamble, it depends on who's available when your pick comes up. If there is a guy available that you have much higher on your list then no need to gamble, if all your "much higher" guys are gone and there are 4-5 guys equal you can gamble on a guy that may not really be BPA but fills a need.

Old
05-21-2013, 09:18 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
there's is almost zero possibility of the habs getting into the top 5-7 this year. you're scenario will not happen.
Thanks for the positive feedback, I can always count on your brief and concise reviews. They really give insight on how to accomplish a complicated trade involving a few steps. Now that I know these steps figuring out trades will be easier in the future.

Old
05-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Sam I Am

It was hard enough to predict the Habs' pick when they drafted Carey Price out of the 5th spot a few years back. This year, Timmons will choose no higher than 23rd, making it very difficult to kwow who will still be on the board irrespective of what Timmons' intentions were at the start of the day.

I can't help feeling that if Frederik Gauthier is still there, the Habs will draft him--unless there is a freaky faller a la Filip Forsberg or Alexei Cherepanov.

So, 2 questions:

1) Do you think Gauthier would be near the top of Timmons' list of players who may possible be available when the Habs' turn comes around in the 1st round?

2) Who do you predict will be the most auspicious faller in the 2013 draft?

Old
05-21-2013, 09:49 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
If Ottawa and Detroit win their series, the Habs will choose 23rd overall. At 23rd Bergevin has a good chip at the table with say Montreal's 2nd and Dallas's 3rd to move up to 18th overall.

Then move Calgary's 2nd and the 18th for the 13th.The Habs can either do it that way or take all of those picks and a roster player and trade them to Carolina, Calgary or Edmonton for the 5th, 6th or 7th overall. This would leave them with really good choices in the 1st (5th) and 2nd (34th), with their 3rd, 6th and 7th round choices.

At 5th the Habs can draft a franchise type of player to join Galchenyuk. Nicushkin LW/RW is the epitome of a PF and his KHL contract is over in two yrs. Max Domi is the player I call the Whirling Dervish stickhandling genius and the player that I would love to have play with Galchenyuk and Collberg. Just a nightmare for goalies throughout the NHL.

The two Swedes Lindholm and Wennberg both great Centers and either one could play on a line with Galchenyuk and Collberg, to form a great line. There is always a Euro-line featuring Wennberg LW (He plays all forward positions) Eller (Center) and Collberg RW, that would be a great line also IMHO. Last option is Nicushkin LW - Galchenyuk C - Collberg RW truly an unstoppable line also.

If the Habs go with Darnell Nurse and follow that with Samuel Morin at 34th, they will have their defence for the future. Imagine that defence; Beaulieu, Bennett, Deitz, Diaz, Didier, Emelin, Gorges, Morin, Nurse, Subban, Thrower and last but not least Tinordi.

This defence will give the Bergevin the players needed to trade for the final pieces they would need to ice a "Elite Team" future Stanley Cup contender for years to come. Now at 5th the Habs could get lucky and Drouin could fall to them, getting the most prolific offensive player in the draft. Drouin's quite simply a franchise player without any doubt and given the core players they already have, the offence becomes as good or better than any in the NHL.

These trades could make the 2013 draft, the 2nd Entry Draft in two years the Habs draft a Franchise type of player. Now if only all the teams cooperate with Bergevin and trade him their draft choices, so getting the Habs in the position they so honestly deserve IMHO.
A pipe dream. Especially moving from 13th to 5th by just adding a roster player. Who would that be without gutting the team?

Old
05-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
It was hard enough to predict the Habs' pick when they drafted Carey Price out of the 5th spot a few years back. This year, Timmons will choose no higher than 23rd, making it very difficult to kwow who will still be on the board irrespective of what Timmons' intentions were at the start of the day.

I can't help feeling that if Frederik Gauthier is still there, the Habs will draft him--unless there is a freaky faller a la Filip Forsberg or Alexei Cherepanov.

So, 2 questions:

1) Do you think Gauthier would be near the top of Timmons' list of players who may possible be available when the Habs' turn comes around in the 1st round?

2) Who do you predict will be the most auspicious faller in the 2013 draft?
If we can get Gauthier with our #1 pick it's definitely good value past #20. He already has a lot going for him, plus with his strong work ethic and hockey sense I wouldn't bet against him ending up one of the 7-8 top players in the draft in 10 years.

1)-yes I think he would be top 20 on the Habs list
2)-Zadorov or Nikushkin-Russian factor

Old
05-21-2013, 09:54 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post

I would consider those guys to be the safer picks, middle of the road prospects with not overwhelming upside or downside. I'd be very happy with a player like that in the first BUT, I'd like to take some picks with higher upside with our 2nd (i.e. Subban-esque). Having so many picks in this area gives us the option of drafting a little riskier and potentially landing... the big fish.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
If we can get Gauthier with our #1 pick it's definitely good value past #20. He already has a lot going for him, plus with his strong work ethic and hockey sense I wouldn't bet against him ending up one of the 7-8 top players in the draft in 10 years.

1)-yes I think he would be top 20 on the Habs list
2)-Zadorov or Nikushkin-Russian factor
The thing about Nikushkin "falling" is that so many people have already raised the possibility that it is not really falling anymore. More surprising would be Barkov or Lindholm falling to 10th or beyond. I'm not saying this will happen, merely that this would be the the sort of unpredictable occurence that constitutes "falling".

Old
05-21-2013, 10:16 AM
gillyguzzler

Horvat is really looking good out there. I'm thinking he might crack the top 10. A month ago, I thought we might have a chance at him at #25 or so... but no way does he slide that far down.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:23 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
The thing about Nikushkin "falling" is that so many people have already raised the possibility that it is not really falling anymore. More surprising would be Barkov or Lindholm falling to 10th or beyond. I'm not saying this will happen, merely that this would be the the sort of unpredictable occurence that constitutes "falling".
Like last year (and every year), teams will surprise causing prospects to fall in the draft. We could end up with a prospect that was rated much much higher than #25 (or whatever position we will draft). We don't know who but someone like Nichushkin or Zadarov or Mantha or Wennberg or Zykov could drop to the mid twenties.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Talent Analyst

Would you guys think it will be possible and a good choice to draft with our first pick Mantha, with the 32th pick Gauthier and with the 36th Morin?

I know they all being rated a big higher, but with the dept of the draft, I think it could be a possibility to draft at least one or two of them.

Those are really big guys and french speaking players with good potential.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:39 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Would you guys think it will be possible and a good choice to draft with our first pick Mantha, with the 32th pick Gauthier and with the 36th Morin?

I know they all being rated a big higher, but with the dept of the draft, I think it could be a possibility to draft at least one or two of them.

Those are really big guys and french speaking players with good potential.
I would do jumping jacks, but it's not very realistic. In fact it's conceivable that all 3 could be off the board before we even get to the podium for the first time.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:40 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Like last year (and every year), teams will surprise causing prospects to fall in the draft. We could end up with a prospect that was rated much much higher than #25 (or whatever position we will draft). We don't know who but someone like Nichushkin or Zadarov or Mantha or Wennberg or Zykov could drop to the mid twenties.
Exactly. Collberg, Thrower, Bozon and Vail were all "wtf I can't believe they fell" picks. It's bound to happen.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:44 AM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I would do jumping jacks, but it's not very realistic. In fact it's conceivable that all 3 could be off the board before we even get to the podium for the first time.
I think it could be more possible to draft only Gauthier and Morin. Mantha could go into the top 20.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:45 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
He's still a top 5-6 guy skillwise that will probably drop to the 11-15 range.

Barkov to me is a lock for top 5, I'd be shocked if he drops past #4. Lindholm could slip to the teens or go 5-6-7. Like Nikushkin I can't see him sliding too far past #10.

Closed Thread