HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Bring back the Names!

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Hawerchuk10

vCash: 500
Bring back the Names!

If the NHL is toying with the idea of rule changes, then why not bring back the classic names of the game as well? Smyth Division, Prince of Wales Conf, Patrick Division, Adams, Norris, Campbell Conf..... etc.

Seems to me that the game lost a good part of its identity when they (Bettman) dropped the names. I mean, hockey used to have more class and respect for the divison names and now it has turned into the freakin' NBA with West Div, NEast Div.

I'm not talking about realignment of teams, but the great names of the game would be excellent to bring back! Thoughts on this?

Old
05-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Chootoi

the names aren't really lost, you still have the history there in the trophies (campbell, norris, wales, adams, etc...). having east and west doesn't bother me in the least. IMO it's also a better way for the NHL to advertise rivalries and such to the lesser joe-bum hockey fan. as long as they don't go back to those teal/black magenta/black uniforms for the all-star games

Old
05-16-2005, 03:13 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawerchuk10
If the NHL is toying with the idea of rule changes, then why not bring back the classic names of the game as well? Smyth Division, Prince of Wales Conf, Patrick Division, Adams, Norris, Campbell Conf..... etc.

Seems to me that the game lost a good part of its identity when they (Bettman) dropped the names. I mean, hockey used to have more class and respect for the divison names and now it has turned into the freakin' NBA with West Div, NEast Div.

I'm not talking about realignment of teams, but the great names of the game would be excellent to bring back! Thoughts on this?
That's not going to help out the fans. In fact, you might even alienate fans who can't make themselves remember the division and conference names. I can't remember what they all were. Besides, do division and conference names really factor that much into the identity of the NHL? It's not like they renamed the Stanley Cup into the "Gary Bettman Trophy" or anything. I really don't think that there is much class to be associated with the naming of a division or conference. I also don't think that my own like or dislike for football or baseball is altered any by the use of AL/NL, and AFC/NFC.

Old
05-16-2005, 04:34 PM
WC Handy*

They should take it a couple steps further and reallign back to 4 divisions with playoffs being like they were before when rivalries couldn't have been better.

Old
05-17-2005, 02:05 AM
maximil

I liked those division names too. A lot of my friends wish the division names were never changed.

Edit: In fact I can't think of anyone who actually liked the change.

Old
05-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I don't think that any hockey fans liked the change, but it had to be made for new fans to come to the sport.

It was fun, but I remember the first thing that anyone would ask me when they found out I was a Rangers fan was: what's with the division names?

Closed Thread