Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Peterborough Petes 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2013, 12:06 PM
defensehockey19

vCash: 500
*OFFICIAL* Peterborough Petes 2013-14 Season Thread

Offseason Petes talk can be done here! Lots of things for Mr.Oke to figure out this summer for the Petes such as..

- Who do you keep as your OverAge players?

Seymour, Trojanovic, D'Agostini, Armstrong and Mathers(pro) are all possibilities.

- What do you do with your European pick?

Cant see him taking a defenseman, Top 9 forward likely best option.

- What goalies do you go with?

Keep Dagger, Trade Giggy and Draft a Euro Goalie? Trade Dagger? Matthew Robson?

- Who does Jody Hull want as his assistant coach?

Rumored that he wants a former defense man who has played pro.. Kurtis Foster's name has been floating around.

- What rookie's will Oke be able to sign? Can he convince an American to report?

Oke has already signed speedy Anthony Stefano(96) to an OHL contract this offseason and I expect him to target the top 3 picks from the previous draft that just passed... Spencer, Lizotte and Webb. Also keep an eye on Hunter Racine... has many NCAA offers but would be a big get for this organization. He had 20 goals in Jr.A as a 16 year old last season.

Also will Oke be able to convince Santini, Clifton or Weis to report? Very doubtful but all would be big additions.

106 days till training camp!!! Cant Wait!!!

Go Petes Go!!!

Old
05-16-2013, 09:14 AM
ProspectHunter

Spencer and Lizotte are going to be twin towers on the point. If goaltending and defence win championships then the Petes have added two very impressive pieces to their future.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:57 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectHunter View Post
Spencer and Lizotte are going to be twin towers on the point. If goaltending and defence win championships then the Petes have added two very impressive pieces to their future.
Couldnt agree more ProspectHunter and the best thing about getting the two of them is the fact that there skill sets will compliment each other.. One is an offensive puck mover(Spencer) and the other is a stay at home, grind it out in the corners type. (Lizotte)

The only thing the Petes lack moving forward is offensively gifted forward prospects..
The signing of Stefano helps.. But as for 96-97 forwards you have Cornel, Stefano, Maguire, Webb, Coyle. Not much skill there..

Old
05-17-2013, 10:05 AM
pipertim

I agree that the Petes need to get a sniper, maybe from the Euro draft or they could trade Trojanovic , Gigovaz and a pick for a goal scorer too.

The Petes might be thinking as well though that they can score by committee which I like BUT it doesn't hep your power play when you want a guy or two to reliably bury one.

Old
05-17-2013, 11:33 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipertim View Post
I agree that the Petes need to get a sniper, maybe from the Euro draft or they could trade Trojanovic , Gigovaz and a pick for a goal scorer too.

The Petes might be thinking as well though that they can score by committee which I like BUT it doesn't hep your power play when you want a guy or two to reliably bury one.
It will deffinetley be scoring by commitee this coming season.. But we do have plenty of guys that have the ability to score 15-20 goals..

Ritchie
Betzold
Tanus
Pierog
Clarke

Then whatever scoring euro provides.

Old
05-17-2013, 12:23 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
It will deffinetley be scoring by commitee this coming season.. But we do have plenty of guys that have the ability to score 15-20 goals..

Ritchie
Betzold
Tanus
Pierog
Clarke

You don't seem to give Cornel much credit, I think he should be on that list as well.

Old
05-17-2013, 01:10 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
You don't seem to give Cornel much credit, I think he should be on that list as well.
I see Cornel as more of a playmaker... But if adds some pounds too his frame he for sure has the potential to score 10-20 goals this season. Goes to show that the Petes strength next season should be their depth.

Also for any Petes fans who read this thread I have heard that Hatcher has attended a power skating camp and plans on being 200lbs before camp. Good to see the kid realize he has room to improve.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:49 AM
defensehockey19

@PetesInsiderOHL: There is a rumour out there that Jonatan Tanus will not return - I can tell you with 100% Confidence that he will be back. #Squashed #Petes

Old
05-22-2013, 02:38 PM
SDRFAOBFH1

Quote:

Ritchie
Betzold
Tanus
Pierog
Clarke

So when you trade Gigi the Pete's need to find an OHL goalie(not that Gigi was the answer either, and not a back up pretending to be a starter one with all the smoke and mirrors, book, media machine and the execs behind it. No playoffs in 4 years people. It's time to cut bait. Dag's aint it.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:43 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRFAOBFH1 View Post
So when you trade Gigi the Pete's need to find an OHL goalie(not that Gigi was the answer either, and not a back up pretending to be a starter one with all the smoke and mirrors, book, media machine and the execs behind it. No playoffs in 4 years people. It's time to cut bait. Dag's aint it.

Has Dagger had an OHL level defense in his 4 seasons? I personally dont think so. Think he will be much better next season... If he isnt playing pro that is. (ECHL)

But I agree, Guigovaz is not the answer.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:10 PM
defensehockey19

@mitchellwebb13: great day touring Clarkson and St.Lawrence Universities #lotstothinkabout

Wonder what this means? NCAA?

Old
05-28-2013, 06:43 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
@mitchellwebb13: great day touring Clarkson and St.Lawrence Universities #lotstothinkabout

Wonder what this means? NCAA?
I know nothing about how Mitchell views school, but It could be just to make mom happy.

Most of these kids have little to zero interest in academics especially ones that can have a career playing hockey. U think that these kids want to read Shakespeare or learn to play the umbrella on the PP. Umbrella hands down. He could be different though. Im not sure one twin stays and one twin goes, I believe they will be in the same club system and school.

In my opinion...Tweeting that is either leverage or to make someone happy that he is considering it.

Old
05-28-2013, 07:11 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I know nothing about how Mitchell views school, but It could be just to make mom happy.

Most of these kids have little to zero interest in academics especially ones that can have a career playing hockey. U think that these kids want to read Shakespeare or learn to play the umbrella on the PP. Umbrella hands down. He could be different though. Im not sure one twin stays and one twin goes, I believe they will be in the same club system and school.

In my opinion...Tweeting that is either leverage or to make someone happy that he is considering it.
Im hoping your right, love watching guys who play with an edge and the Petes will need one this season.

Old
05-29-2013, 11:51 PM
NV

Quote:
Im hoping your right, love watching guys who play with an edge and the Petes will need one this season.
McGuire? Thompson? Ritchie?

Personally, I'm getting tired of (relatively) high picks of guys "with an edge", where are the skilled forwards?

Old
05-29-2013, 11:57 PM
NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRFAOBFH1 View Post
Check out this guy's posting history on OHL goalies... no agenda here I'm sure

Old
05-30-2013, 06:38 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV View Post
McGuire? Thompson? Ritchie?

Personally, I'm getting tired of (relatively) high picks of guys "with an edge", where are the skilled forwards?
4th line... Bubble forward... Constantly injured.

Thats the style we need to play to ne effective.

High pressure, hard forcheck. Force turnovers...

I agree we need more skill but im hoping thats what the euro pick will provide upfront and Spencer brings skill to the back end.

And too be completley honest I'd rather they give the spot to Coyle. Better size, higher upside.

Old
05-30-2013, 07:00 AM
NV

Quote:
4th line... Bubble forward... Constantly injured.
I don't necessarily disagree with this but what's Webb done to make you think he's not just more of the same? The descriptions of him after the draft are pretty similar to those when McGuire/Thompson were drafted.

Old
05-30-2013, 09:16 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with this but what's Webb done to make you think he's not just more of the same? The descriptions of him after the draft are pretty similar to those when McGuire/Thompson were drafted.
Fair enough point. I hope we wont need to have this debate again come main camp as we will have lots of vets since we will be competing for the east this year

Old
05-31-2013, 01:47 PM
defensehockey19

On the NorthBay Battalion thread the first post suggests there may be a chance that Goodrow wont play in NorthBay next season... If this is truly the case I would pay alot to get him in Peterborough. He is the kind of player who would come in and be a leader for the younger guys and be a great offensive contributor.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:33 PM
defensehockey19

Petes holding Press Conference this afternoon. I think it is likely to announce the signings of Matt Spencer and Cameron Lizotte. Hopefully the Webbs too.

"@SeanLafortune: The Petes have called a press conference this afternoon, dont be shocked if if they announce the signing of 1st round pick Matt Spencer."

"@TSRhockey: Three months ago Matt Spencer captained the Oakville Rangers to the OHL Cup, now he's donning a Petes jersey with a 'C' in the future."

Last edited by defensehockey19: 06-26-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old
06-30-2013, 09:38 PM
OHLEYE

Draft day wasn't kind to the Petes. How Betzold was not taken is beyond me.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:07 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLEYE View Post
Draft day wasn't kind to the Petes. How Betzold was not taken is beyond me.
I agree 100% and hope to hear about some of our guys getting invites to rookie camps/tournaments.

Glad to see he is handling in with a positive attitude:

"@Betztrick: I'm gonna make you regret that #Motivation"

Also heard tonight ikonen is leavig fronts big blow for a team in our conference and 67's could lose Monahan.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:06 PM
NHL Fanatic

Betzold was invited to Blues camp

Old
07-02-2013, 08:53 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Betzold was invited to Blues camp
As he should be. Guy has skill just needs to add strength and improve his skating.

"@dagostini30: Sweat is necessary and success is earned. Grateful for every opportunity God's given to me. Detroit red wings development camp!"

Last edited by defensehockey19: 07-02-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old
07-03-2013, 12:27 PM
defensehockey19

Trade Trojanovic for Cairns

Ritchie-Cairns-Tanus
Betzold-Pierog-Paulovic
Clarke-Cornel-Nosad
Webb-Stefano-Hatcher
Maguire

Boland-Devlin
Armstrong-Seymour