Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2013, 08:56 PM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 1400
Colts Lose 5-3. Gibl allowed 4 goals on 22 shots. Not going to win many games with this kind of goaltending.

Old
09-27-2013, 09:17 PM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Just got back from the game.

Really wasn't impressed with Gibl. Felt he was over committing on a lot of plays to the shooter, and generally didn't look all that comfortable at times. There is at least two circumstances that the Wolves could have easily got another goal because he was either scrambling or over committed on a play. It's one thing to put trust in your D and take the shooter, but it's another to take yourself out of the play by being so aggressive. Obviously the first time I've seen him, so maybe he was having an off game or something but definitely didn't walk away impressed with him.

It was a game that Barrie should have won, Sudbury was playing sloppy for large portions of the game and while Barrie was able to control the play they didn't really manage to capitalize or get high scoring chances off of the plays.

09-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
Colts Lose 5-3. Gibl allowed 4 goals on 22 shots. Not going to win many games with this kind of goaltending.
Goaltending has to be better. Question is who is out there? Not sure anyone willing this early in season to give up their No. 1 goalie. Not yet anyway

Old
09-27-2013, 10:21 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
But the Knights didn't get Maatta - they got a draft pick they used to select Maatta... What are we debating? For clarity, I think the Colts got more total assets than the Knights in each of these three deals. By a bunch. Feel free to disagree.
They made the trade to get Maatta, that was the entire point of the move. Sure, literally it was for the #1st overall pick, but in London's mind, they where trading for Maatta. He was the best player in that move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonivy View Post
I see people keep saying this....why? That's what trades are for. You make trades and they are supposed to benefit both teams in whichever way the teams have planned. Do you really think London is upset with losing AA with their forward depth? They got 3 high picks for him and used 3 high picks to get Basso, who is more needed for London than AA. Thanks Barrie?
Certainly a trade that helped both sides. Athanasiou wasn't winning friends in the London dressing room before the trade, moving him was a must. I know that the Knights are not upset with how its played out at all. Win win for all (which are the best type of trades).

Old
09-27-2013, 10:31 PM
poisonivy
05, 12, 13 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
They made the trade to get Maatta, that was the entire point of the move. Sure, literally it was for the #1st overall pick, but in London's mind, they where trading for Maatta. He was the best player in that move.

Certainly a trade that helped both sides. Athanasiou wasn't winning friends in the London dressing room before the trade, moving him was a must. I know that the Knights are not upset with how its played out at all. Win win for all (which are the best type of trades).
Thanks. You made the points more clear than I could.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:34 PM
mouse 29

Quote:
andrew mangiapane? Played every game so far. FA camp signing.
Yes I knew that I was making light of the Sudbury announcer as he was having a difficult time pronouncing it.

I think he had 4-5 different names for him

Old
09-27-2013, 11:16 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
Goaltending has to be better. Question is who is out there? Not sure anyone willing this early in season to give up their No. 1 goalie. Not yet anyway
You're right, probably no one. Have to hope Fotinos finds his groove or continue to out score teams 7-5 until someone is ready to trade. The Kreiss injury is unfortunate. Glad they sent in the tape, but it doesn't help the Colts win any games.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:25 PM
jolly roger

Quote:
You're right, probably no one. Have to hope Fotinos finds his groove or continue to out score teams 7-5 until someone is ready to trade. The Kreiss injury is unfortunate. Glad they sent in the tape, but it doesn't help the Colts win any games.
Both Fotinos and Gibl have been shaky. Someone bought a bonnet from the YouTube video on Gibl. Watch it, its a joke. He'll be paddling back to Slovakia if he continues to look like that. This team is poised to win games, but not with the net empty.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:25 PM
mouse 29

One goalie with a 4.06 GAA and another with a 4.50 it begs the question why not give Blackwood a shot.

He may not be ready but it might be worth a shot??

Old
09-27-2013, 11:28 PM
H44

Gibl is new to North America. Maybe you should give him more than one game before you throw him under the bus.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:36 PM
jolly roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by H44 View Post
Gibl is new to North America. Maybe you should give him more than one game before you throw him under the bus.
Are you serious? Someone got us to use our #1 Euro draft pick to get this kid, when no one ever heard of him, he had a losing record and played on a terrible team. Somebody thought he was a star? This is the OHL.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:39 PM
H44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly roger View Post
Are you serious? Someone got us to use our #1 Euro draft pick to get this kid, when no one ever heard of him, he had a losing record and played on a terrible team. Somebody thought he was a star? This is the OHL.
Good teams don't give up on a player after one game.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:58 PM
Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba P View Post
Barrie traded down in the import draft which got them McNeil & Niederberger so I would say it was a fair trade.
Actually, the Colts used the picks they also got in the Maata deal to get Telegin. So essentially they got McNeil, Niederberger and Telegin for Maata. Worked out real well for both. Barrie did great. Maata wanted big bucks, which London provided and Barrie got a big return for him.

Old
09-28-2013, 09:22 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse 29 View Post
One goalie with a 4.06 GAA and another with a 4.50 it begs the question why not give Blackwood a shot.

He may not be ready but it might be worth a shot??
We're three games in. Let's give it a couple weeks.

Old
09-28-2013, 01:54 PM
LeafsColts13

Quote:
We're three games in. Let's give it a couple weeks.
Agree. If we are still allowing 4+ goals per game in a few weeks then look for other options. For now hope somebody picks up their game and plays well. I'm rooting for Fotinos because I know he is capable of it.

Old
09-28-2013, 06:00 PM
mouse 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by H44 View Post
Not throwing anyone under the bus. Just saying why not give Blackwood a shot. I am hoping Fotinos can be our guy as well as Gibl.

Old
09-28-2013, 09:07 PM
LeafsColts13

Colts win 4-3 in a shootout. Lot stronger game by Fotinos with 30 saves. Gotta tighten up in the 3rd as they let a 3-1 lead slip away. That will come as the season goes on though. On to the steelheads Friday.

Old
09-29-2013, 08:06 AM
jolly roger

Quote:
Colts win 4-3 in a shootout. Lot stronger game by Fotinos with 30 saves. Gotta tighten up in the 3rd as they let a 3-1 lead slip away. That will come as the season goes on though. On to the steelheads Friday.
Agree Fotinos played better in game. But we won because all three shooters scored in shootout, and Fotinos stopped the Russian for one save out of three. AA's goal was a highlight! How many times will all 3 score?

Old
09-29-2013, 08:39 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly roger View Post
How many times will all 3 score?
Those three? Plenty .

Old
09-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Arjay

Matthew Kreis

Our prized rookie who was hammered from behind in the Owen Sound game, should be back at practice tomorrow(Tuesday)

Old
10-01-2013, 03:36 PM
joansie14

I’ll admit I don’t know much about the game of hockey, only having started to follow the OHL and the Colts, but perhaps someone could explain how goalies are selected in the import draft. According to articles I’ve read Gibl was highly rated after the staff saw “ a few film clips” and heard from a “reliable source” ( not sure this person was ever named) that the kid was some kind of phenom. He may well be, but what did he look like in camp? Did Blackwood not show well, or at least did he not look as good as Gibl ? Is it an age thing? Size? Maybe the Colts felt they had another Neiderburger ?Also, I believe that I read that the CHL is no longer allowing goalies to be drafted from Europe? Why is this?

Old
10-01-2013, 03:53 PM
joansie14

Quote:
Those three? Plenty .
I agree, BUT maybe someone should introduce them to their goalie.

I believe they were -5 in the Sudbury game, and have currently a -3. Not a great believer in the +/- stat, but still you have to think that maybe they need to be a little more defensive? Perhaps too much ice in that particular game?

Old
10-02-2013, 11:09 AM
mouse 29

Any body have any predictions for this weeks games. Any word on Kriess will he be back??

I was glad to hear Fotinos played better, here's hoping that his slow start was simply nerves and lack of playing time.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:56 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by joansie14 View Post
Iíll admit I donít know much about the game of hockey, only having started to follow the OHL and the Colts, but perhaps someone could explain how goalies are selected in the import draft.
Different teams do different things. It depends on how much they want to spend on researching the players overseas. In terms of why they selected a goalie, I think it was a question of moving from a top 3-5 goalie in the league to a couple younger, unproven guys. Trying to have as many options as possible with the hopes that one can take the reigns and run with it. They did have success bringing in Niederberger, so maybe that played into the decision.

Quote:
Also, I believe that I read that the CHL is no longer allowing goalies to be drafted from Europe? Why is this?
True story. As there are limited number of goalie positions available across the CHL, they decided to reserve them for North American players. Right, wrong or indifferent, that was the rationale.

Quote:
I agree, BUT maybe someone should introduce them to their goalie.

I believe they were -5 in the Sudbury game, and have currently a -3. Not a great believer in the +/- stat, but still you have to think that maybe they need to be a little more defensive? Perhaps too much ice in that particular game?
For someone new to hockey, you're focusing on a weird stat. It is flawed stat for a whole number of reasons, but regardless, in this case I was referring to the comment about the shootout. With the shootout of course, your defensive play has nothing to do with the outcome, and I think Athanasiou, Hall, and Theoret are going to score more often than not. Add in Kreis and MacDonald, and the Colts should do just fine in shootouts, even if the goaltender only stops 1 of the first 3.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:04 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse 29 View Post
Any body have any predictions for this weeks games. Any word on Kriess will he be back??
I'd rather cheer for wins than make predictions, so I'll go with 2-0. Mississauga is off to a good start but the Colts are too, and I would expect them the Colts to want to knock off the Wolves and return the favour for last week. Things are sounding better for Kreis, but I don't have confirmation on when he'll be back.

Closed Thread