*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2013, 02:11 PM
mouse 29

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
I'd rather cheer for wins than make predictions, so I'll go with 2-0. Mississauga is off to a good start but the Colts are too, and I would expect them the Colts to want to knock off the Wolves and return the favour for last week. Things are sounding better for Kreis, but I don't have confirmation on when he'll be back.
I agree with your 2-0 I think the colts are too strong for Mississauga, but you never know-hard work, good goal-tending and a little luck go a long way. Ever time Barrie and Mississauga meet its usually a pretty good tilt.
I often think back to that triple overtime game 4-5 years ago.

As for the wolves usually a good rivalry, Sudbury always seems to play Barrie hard. However if you belief the comments on the Sudbury thread there seems to be some dissension and politics playing a role again this year. Anyway looking forward to a good game Saturday night.

Regarding Kries, I hope all is well with him, and if cleared to play, maybe limited action in Missy just as a precaution. However it wouldn't hurt, if not 100% certain to hold off a little longer.

Any thoughts in net. Fotinos both games? or does DH split them again.

Old
10-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

I say give fotinos the ball...we gotta see what he can do if he gets in a groove

Old
10-02-2013, 03:17 PM
joansie14

Add in Kreis and MacDonald, and the Colts should do just fine in shootouts, even if the goaltender only stops 1 of the first 3.[/QUOTE]

Based on the first two games, MacDonald seems like a skilled player and a two way forward, but I don't see how he can score from the bench. I didn't see him much in the last two games. Wasn't he playing on the fourth line? Or, is it a matter of getting Kreis back from his injury so they can be on the same line? (maybe second?)
I believe they were playing well together before Kreis went into the boards. From what I've read MacDonald was predicted to be top 6, and I think Kreis was supposed to up there as well.

Old
10-02-2013, 04:44 PM
mouse 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
I say give fotinos the ball...we gotta see what he can do if he gets in a groove
I agree let's see what he can do and let Gibl work his way into the OHL and NA hockey. I know a lot of people are routing for Fotinos.

Old
10-03-2013, 05:58 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
I agree - we know what he can do though - he was lights out for a few weeks before the concussion a couple years ago... I think he has the chops to make a deep playoff run if he can get the rust off.

Old
10-03-2013, 09:18 AM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 342
Quote:
I agree - we know what he can do though - he was lights out for a few weeks before the concussion a couple years ago... I think he has the chops to make a deep playoff run if he can get the rust off.
He had a solid game against the Greyhounds. Lets see if he can build off of that and get a good winning streak going early again like last year.

Old
10-03-2013, 06:22 PM
mouse 29

Watching the gens - Pete's game and Laughton is playing.
Thought he had a 5 game suspension from last year??

Old
10-03-2013, 09:13 PM
LeafsColts13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse 29 View Post
Watching the gens - Pete's game and Laughton is playing.
Thought he had a 5 game suspension from last year??
I think he was eligible to return September 29th. They Didn't factor in missing the beginning of the season with the Flyers I guess.

Old
10-03-2013, 09:50 PM
mouse 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
I think he was eligible to return September 29th. They Didn't factor in missing the beginning of the season with the Flyers I guess.
If that in fact is the case than that is pretty sad reflection on the OHL and its regulations.
I would hate to think that someone could draw a suspension at the end of the year (Flagrant or otherwise) and not have to worry about any repercussions.

Old
10-04-2013, 09:17 PM
LeafsColts13

Colts lose 3-2 in a shootout

Positives:
Blackwood Very solid through 65 mins
MacDonald and Bradford played great and had some good offensive zone chances and time
Kreis was back from injury
Yuill was strong on D.

Negatives:
Pretty low effort
Too fancy on the powerplay and Fawcett on the point is scary.
Blackwood not great in shootouts as expected since he has not much experience at them.
I would like MacDonald and Bradford to get more ice time and see Kreis or Lebanc on the wing over Corson on that line.

Hopefully they bounce back at home tomorrow against the Wolves.

Old
10-04-2013, 09:31 PM
jolly roger

Quote:
Those three? Plenty .
How's that going for you?

Old
10-04-2013, 09:37 PM
jolly roger

Quote:

Positives:
MacDonald and Bradford played great and had some good offensive zone chances and time
Yuill was strong on D.

Negatives:
Pretty low effort
Blackwood not great in shootouts as expected since he has not much experience at them.
I would like MacDonald and Bradford to get more ice time and see Kreis or Lebanc on the wing over Corson on that line.

Are you serious? Blackwood not much experience at shootouts? That's all those bloaks do is practice shootouts. He played well in the game, but 3 goals on 4 shots is most unpleasant for him and the fans.

Old
10-04-2013, 09:47 PM
LeafsColts13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly roger View Post
Are you serious? Blackwood not much experience at shootouts? That's all those bloaks do is practice shootouts. He played well in the game, but 3 goals on 4 shots is most unpleasant for him and the fans.
Not much game experience. This was his first OHL game. Huge difference between a practice against your own team and shooters you don't know in a real game with the pressure on.

Old
10-04-2013, 09:51 PM
mouse 29

Quote:

Positives:
Yuill was strong on D.

Negatives:
Pretty low effort

Agree with you LC13 for the most part.

Very poor effort by way too many players. Too many giveaways, too many blind passes, and too many players trying to be too cute. The sooner they realize that last year was last year and that this a different team, the better off they will be.
On the bright side I liked Blackwood, and Bradford and Ekblad had their usuall solid game. Much better effort in the third by the whole team.

Curious where was Gibl and Garcia??

I agree on Fawcet, seems like a nice kid, and his heart and work ethic seem to be good, but unfortunately the size and talent level is not there.

As I said in an earlier quote hard work, good goal tending and a little luck could win Missy the game, and the first goal scored by Missy was definetly lucky.

Anyway maybe the boys were looking towards the Sudbury game and here's hoping for a better effort and result.

Old
10-05-2013, 12:21 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly roger View Post
How's that going for you?
Pretty well thanks. Wasn't the first three that let them down. Not sure why Fawcett was choice #4 though. Should have been MacDonald or even Kreis. Heck, I'd have sent Ekblad out there before Fawcett.

Old
10-05-2013, 05:50 PM
LeafsColts13

Wonder why MacDonald is a healthy scratch. Was good, certainly better than a certain OA. Strange move against a contender and rival.

Old
10-05-2013, 07:13 PM
joansie14

Is it just me or does Fawcett seem like a hamster on a wheel . . . he works like hell but never seems to go anywhere.
I also think I’m beginning to hear the whisperings of certain fans growing increasingly louder . . . “ FREE JOSH MACDONALD”
Maybe a Gibl/ Macdonald trade in the works? ( Especially after the weird healthy scratch of mcd . What’s with that?)
Also does anyone else think that the top line is like Phar Lap? You know, the gifted horse that keeps having to race and race and have extra weight strapped on the saddle ??? Just thinking that they keep going out there for (what seems like ) eternity and almost the entire pp. How long before they drop dead of exhaustion?
I don’t know. Maybe this is usual? Do other teams keep the top line out that long?

Old
10-05-2013, 09:22 PM
LeafsColts13

Yeah I think we need a goalie. Atleast Fawcett on the first line didn't work so hopefully its the end of that experiment. Webster got his first OHL goal on a nice shot from the point. Only 1 out of 4 points this weekend. Hoping for an overall better effort next weekend.

Old
10-05-2013, 09:22 PM
jolly roger

MacDonald has value but Gibl has none. No one else will take on the Euro goalie who we never saw before signing. The boys played Sudbury well enough, but it looks like even the coach has had enough of the goaltending. Those first two goals were , to be polite, soft. If Blackwood's the answer give him some starts without fear of getting pulled. Where is Gibl?

Old
10-05-2013, 10:08 PM
mouse 29

Quote:
Wonder why MacDonald is a healthy scratch. Was good, certainly better than a certain OA. Strange move against a contender and rival.
Word around the BMC was that he was injured last nite

Old
10-05-2013, 10:11 PM
mouse 29

Quote:
Yeah I think we need a goalie. Atleast Fawcett on the first line didn't work so hopefully its the end of that experiment. Webster got his first OHL goal on a nice shot from the point. Only 1 out of 4 points this weekend. Hoping for an overall better effort next weekend.
Yup we're battling Ottawa, Belleville, Niagra, and Peterborough for last place

Old
10-05-2013, 10:16 PM
joansie14

No one else will take on the Euro goalie who we never saw before signing.

Old
10-05-2013, 10:18 PM
joansie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse 29 View Post
Word around the BMC was that he was injured last nite
Then why the "healthy" scratch? Don't get it.

Old
10-05-2013, 10:18 PM
mouse 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by joansie14 View Post
Is it just me or does Fawcett seem like a hamster on a wheel . . . he works like hell but never seems to go anywhere.
I also think I’m beginning to hear the whisperings of certain fans growing increasingly louder . . . “ FREE JOSH MACDONALD”
Maybe a Gibl/ Macdonald trade in the works? ( Especially after the weird healthy scratch of mcd . What’s with that?)
Also does anyone else think that the top line is like Phar Lap? You know, the gifted horse that keeps having to race and race and have extra weight strapped on the saddle ??? Just thinking that they keep going out there for (what seems like ) eternity and almost the entire pp. How long before they drop dead of exhaustion?
I don’t know. Maybe this is usual? Do other teams keep the top line out that long?
Well when you have a bunch of players that look like they don't even want to be here, you don't have much choice. Also to make matters worse you bench one of top three for lackadaisical play.

Old
10-05-2013, 10:21 PM
mouse 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by joansie14 View Post
Then why the "healthy" scratch? Don't get it.
Yes I don't either. It's just what I heard

Closed Thread