HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2014, 08:26 PM
  #776
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse 29 View Post
3- Blackwood should of had the fifth goal by Kingston, it was pretty weak and I'm sure he would want it back
Agreed, and I would think the 2nd one too. The only really good goal where you would say he had no chance was the 4th, so not his best game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse 29 View Post
Anyway much better effort the last few games.
Lead by the guy who's been missing the last couple weeks . Things should be good here until the end of January...the Colts should make up some ground before the end of the month...but just remember there will be a tough stretch at the beginning of February.

I wonder if AE is going to miss Thursday's game as a result of the Top Prospects game? I don't really care, because I'll be watching him live from the front row behind the right D (basically my old season seats at the BMC) at the Saddledome .

krazy kanuck is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 10:07 PM
  #777
Pony
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
Top Prospects Game is always a good one. Love the intensity. The players know all that's at stake. Ekblad won't be in lineup for Colts on Thursday in North Bay, nor will be Lemieux. Butler has to love all these games with Colts playing short-handed. How do you say that Ekblad has not been dominant? What more do you want him to do? Play all 60 minutes? Enjoy him while he's here, because it's very, very likely he won't be back.

Pony is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 10:51 PM
  #778
mouse 29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Barrie
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
Latest NHL draft listings


http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=699869

Nice to see Lebanc and Cordell James in the mix. Also Adrian Kempe is listed as #3 for Euro skaters

mouse 29 is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 08:39 PM
  #779
Osteonis
Registered User
 
Osteonis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
Clearly I've Been Misunderstood

So after reading replies to my posts, it would seem that most who take the time to answer don't seem to get my points. If you go back to when I initially started posting, which isn't all that long ago, you will see if you read through the forum from that point, that many of the things I said from the get go, were things that at that time were debated, and disagreed with. But as you read on, you can clearly see that what I had mentioned earlier now seems to be what most are saying now, obviously not in my exact words.
As for AE, not once have I ever discounted that he has talent. What I have mentioned is that considering the hype that is around him, I have never seen what it was all about. Maybe that is because I look through the hype and watch with an unbiased view. I don't care what everyone else says he is, I want to see it first hand. When I don't see it, I don't sit there and say wow, that kid is exceptional because that is what I'm told. Now don't get me wrong, this is in no way an attack on anyone and especially not on AE. But when I see a game like last Saturday, it shows what he is truly made of. That AE is one I would go to great lengths to make sure he was on my team. My point, now that I have a game to compare with leads me to believe that I have been correct in my past comments. I would definitely consider other options if the AE that I had seen up until last Saturday was as good as it got. He has a hell of a shot, but rarely uses it, especially on the PP, attempts to shoot or pass the puck out of his own end resulting in his fair share of turnovers when he has the ability to skate it out. To make a difference and be as outstanding as he is proclaimed to be then I want to see the AE from last Saturday a lot more than the one I've been watching all year. The one comment regarding should he be like Bobby Orr, or something to that effect, hey if he can pull it off then I say play to your strengths, your able to lead a rush, quarterback the PP, and unload a howitzer, I really don't understand why you wouldn't want to do that if you were capable of doing it. Great players don't wait for things to happen, they make things happen and take control of the game because they can. He has what it takes to be one of the superstars of the game, regardless of his position, and after last Saturday I truly hope he sees just what he can contribute when he's not always playing it safe and holding back. And before anyone comments, no I wouldn't expect 4 goal nights on a regular basis, that is unrealistic. But I would like to see him playing to his potential on a regular basis. He has so much talent and sometimes just sits back and watches it happen and it doesn't work for players like that, with that much talent. I guarantee you would see a huge spike in his points if that cannon of a shot was sent to the net a lot more. just because he is defence doesn't mean he isn't allowed to score goals.

Anyways, that was all I had to say, just wanted to try and clear the air.

Osteonis is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 11:18 PM
  #780
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteonis View Post
So after reading replies to my posts, it would seem that most who take the time to answer don't seem to get my points.
I thought about a lengthy response Osteonis, but it seems we don't even agree on the interpretation of the posts. I do think Ekblad has played to his potential, in fact I think he has excelled consistently (see the playoffs last year). In my opinion a huge spike in points isn't necessary for him to be dominant as a defenceman.

Sometimes people just don't see things from the same perspective, and it appears as though we're two of those folks. I won't bother wasting the keystrokes going forward and I'll just wish you well. In closing I would encourage you to consider Pony's advice though, because I don't think you'll have the opportunity to watch AE5 up close on a consistent basis for very much longer.

krazy kanuck is offline  
Old
01-16-2014, 04:43 PM
  #781
mouse 29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Barrie
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
Nick Pastorious suspended for 5 games for the hit on Lemon.

What can you say?? Lemon should not even be in this league, and if this type of punishment keeps up with Branch at the helm then IMHO the CHL will no longer be the development league for the NHL.

mouse 29 is offline  
Old
01-19-2014, 01:42 PM
  #782
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse 29 View Post
Nick Pastorious suspended for 5 games for the hit on Lemon.

What can you say?? Lemon should not even be in this league, and if this type of punishment keeps up with Branch at the helm then IMHO the CHL will no longer be the development league for the NHL.
I don't have any issue with the suspension. I think the first point of contact is the head/neck. He's lucky there wasn't a concussion on the play.

As for the CHL not being the development league for the NHL, I happen to think that the OHL is on the right track in terms of their stance on head injuries. I suppose you're suggesting that it is headed on a path that isn't physical enough to prepare people for the NHL? If that's the case, my question would be what do you think would be the replacement? The full-facemask, no fighting NCAA, or the big-ice, no fighting European leagues?

The CHL is so firmly entrenched as the development league for the NHL I'm convinced that won't be changing in my lifetime.

krazy kanuck is offline  
Old
01-20-2014, 09:06 AM
  #783
jolly roger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Country: Iceland
Posts: 824
vCash: 500
Congratulations to AA on his goal-scoring outbreak. And he wasn't up to the WJ's on the national team because.....??? Whoever left him off should be ashamed.

jolly roger is offline  
Old
01-22-2014, 12:37 PM
  #784
Osteonis
Registered User
 
Osteonis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
I don't have any issue with the suspension. I think the first point of contact is the head/neck. He's lucky there wasn't a concussion on the play.



As for the CHL not being the development league for the NHL, I happen to think that the OHL is on the right track in terms of their stance on head injuries. I suppose you're suggesting that it is headed on a path that isn't physical enough to prepare people for the NHL? If that's the case, my question would be what do you think would be the replacement? The full-facemask, no fighting NCAA, or the big-ice, no fighting European leagues?

The CHL is so firmly entrenched as the development league for the NHL I'm convinced that won't be changing in my lifetime.
It is quite interesting you feel the point of contact is the head, when in fact the point of contact is the upper chest. One rule of physics is that objects in motion stay in motion until something interrupts that motion. Pastorius' hit was clean, unfortunately skating in opposite directions and being stopped abruptly in that manner causes many things to happen. Point of contact is the upper chest, so what happens is the rest of the body continues to be in motion until stopped. In this case his head continues to move forward until it hits Pastorious as do his legs and arms. When the hit is viewed at normal speed it can be pretty hard to distinguish what is what if you don't really understand hitting. Add to that open ice hits are fairly rare these days in hockey but when they happen are pretty big, and can be pretty dramatic when you don't understand hitting. In this case you have a player who was caught with his head down, at no point does Pastorious leave the ice, nor do his arms come up other than to protect his own chest while making the hit, he immediately skates away to continue the play. His intention wasn't to hurt the player, it was a legal hit. As for him being lucky the other player didn't get a concussion during the play, well of course we're all glad there was no concussion, nobody wishes that on anyone, you could get a concussion from slamming on the brakes in your car and having your head snap forward, or turning around and walking into a door, for the music lovers you can also get a concussion from throwing your head around while rocking out to your favourite metal bands.

The point here is that it was a clean hit, open ice hits always look catastrophic, the ruling however seems to have gone the way of what decision would be the most popular. In this day and age obviously the decision was to suspend him. Albeit the wrong decision given the facts and rules of play.

As for your other comment, I would tend to think that the paths you mention would be the ones you support given that you seem to support the ruling handed down on a clean legal hit.
You want to stop these high speed collisions that we seem to see more and more these days, start re-instating things like the 2 line pass which I would bet some don't even know what that is or many have forgotten.

You can't speed a physical game up to make it more exciting and not expect that at some point bad things are going to happen if you don't account for or put the proper measures in place to accommodate it. That would be like nascar saying we need to make cars faster, but not adjust the track to accommodate the speed increase.

No hits to the head are good, but you have to factor in the variables that go along with a high speed contact sport, and rulings cannot be subjective or left open to interpretation. Was the initial point of contact the head...no...did his feet the leave the ice...no...did he bring his arms up to the other players head...no... then no suspension. But the hit player still hit his head after initial contact was made, that unfortunately is completely uncontrollable by the player making the hit. So if you are going to tell these kids that body contact is legal and then penalize them when they make legal hits, it's time to re-evaluate what the intention is here, because there has been enough time spent on this, studying this that the rules and policies should be pretty clear by now. You can't base a ruling on popularity, nor can you base it on how catastrophic the hit looks when it was a clean hit. Hitting is part of the game.

Osteonis is offline  
Old
01-22-2014, 08:24 PM
  #785
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteonis View Post
It is quite interesting you feel the point of contact is the head, when in fact the point of contact is the upper chest.
It is quite interesting to me that you state your opinion like it is fact. Windsor fans said the same thing with respect to Kassian on Kennedy. I am not sure what your point is with respect to Newton's First Law of Motion and I'm almost certain that you are misapplying it, but it's been a long, long time. It looks to me like it's the head that stops moving and the rest of the body keeps going. Regardless, the bottom line is you see one thing, and I see another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteonis View Post
As for your other comment, I would tend to think that the paths you mention would be the ones you support given that you seem to support the ruling handed down on a clean legal hit.
As stated, I disagree with your opinion that it was a clean legal hit.

I do enjoy international hockey (you must not bother with the WJC/WC/Olympics), and to a lesser extent the NCAA, but OHL hockey is my favorite... Although I'm not sure how that is germane to this discussion...

krazy kanuck is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 12:25 PM
  #786
mouse 29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Barrie
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteonis View Post
It is quite interesting you feel the point of contact is the head, when in fact the point of contact is the upper chest. One rule of physics is that objects in motion stay in motion until something interrupts that motion. Pastorius' hit was clean, unfortunately skating in opposite directions and being stopped abruptly in that manner causes many things to happen. Point of contact is the upper chest, so what happens is the rest of the body continues to be in motion until stopped. In this case his head continues to move forward until it hits Pastorious as do his legs and arms. When the hit is viewed at normal speed it can be pretty hard to distinguish what is what if you don't really understand hitting. Add to that open ice hits are fairly rare these days in hockey but when they happen are pretty big, and can be pretty dramatic when you don't understand hitting. In this case you have a player who was caught with his head down, at no point does Pastorious leave the ice, nor do his arms come up other than to protect his own chest while making the hit, he immediately skates away to continue the play. His intention wasn't to hurt the player, it was a legal hit. As for him being lucky the other player didn't get a concussion during the play, well of course we're all glad there was no concussion, nobody wishes that on anyone, you could get a concussion from slamming on the brakes in your car and having your head snap forward, or turning around and walking into a door, for the music lovers you can also get a concussion from throwing your head around while rocking out to your favourite metal bands.

The point here is that it was a clean hit, open ice hits always look catastrophic, the ruling however seems to have gone the way of what decision would be the most popular. In this day and age obviously the decision was to suspend him. Albeit the wrong decision given the facts and rules of play.

As for your other comment, I would tend to think that the paths you mention would be the ones you support given that you seem to support the ruling handed down on a clean legal hit.
You want to stop these high speed collisions that we seem to see more and more these days, start re-instating things like the 2 line pass which I would bet some don't even know what that is or many have forgotten.

You can't speed a physical game up to make it more exciting and not expect that at some point bad things are going to happen if you don't account for or put the proper measures in place to accommodate it. That would be like nascar saying we need to make cars faster, but not adjust the track to accommodate the speed increase.

No hits to the head are good, but you have to factor in the variables that go along with a high speed contact sport, and rulings cannot be subjective or left open to interpretation. Was the initial point of contact the head...no...did his feet the leave the ice...no...did he bring his arms up to the other players head...no... then no suspension. But the hit player still hit his head after initial contact was made, that unfortunately is completely uncontrollable by the player making the hit. So if you are going to tell these kids that body contact is legal and then penalize them when they make legal hits, it's time to re-evaluate what the intention is here, because there has been enough time spent on this, studying this that the rules and policies should be pretty clear by now. You can't base a ruling on popularity, nor can you base it on how catastrophic the hit looks when it was a clean hit. Hitting is part of the game.
good post.

mouse 29 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 12:47 PM
  #787
mouse 29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Barrie
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
It is quite interesting to me that you state your opinion like it is fact. Windsor fans said the same thing with respect to Kassian on Kennedy. I am not sure what your point is with respect to Newton's First Law of Motion and I'm almost certain that you are misapplying it, but it's been a long, long time. It looks to me like it's the head that stops moving and the rest of the body keeps going. Regardless, the bottom line is you see one thing, and I see another.



As stated, I disagree with your opinion that it was a clean legal hit.

I do enjoy international hockey (you must not bother with the WJC/WC/Olympics), and to a lesser extent the NCAA, but OHL hockey is my favorite... Although I'm not sure how that is germane to this discussion...
Surely you aren't comparing the Kassian hit on Kennedy to the Pastorious hit on Lemmon
Anyway IMO I think what is so annoying with the calls and the officiating is the late reactionary calls. I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that blatant head shots, intent to injure hits, etc., have no place in any sport and need to be removed. How that is done is the issue!! I suppose based on your comments that someone skating head down against the flow should be left alone or only have the opposing players whiff their sticks at the puck so as not to engage the opposing player.

Not sure of the statistics this year but IIRC last year the games lost to suspensions in the OHL were substantially greater than both the Q and the W put together. Interesting the Q has won the last 3 mem cups in a row.

mouse 29 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 12:51 PM
  #788
Osteonis
Registered User
 
Osteonis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
It is quite interesting to me that you state your opinion like it is fact. Windsor fans said the same thing with respect to Kassian on Kennedy. I am not sure what your point is with respect to Newton's First Law of Motion and I'm almost certain that you are misapplying it, but it's been a long, long time. It looks to me like it's the head that stops moving and the rest of the body keeps going. Regardless, the bottom line is you see one thing, and I see another.



As stated, I disagree with your opinion that it was a clean legal hit.

I do enjoy international hockey (you must not bother with the WJC/WC/Olympics), and to a lesser extent the NCAA, but OHL hockey is my favorite... Although I'm not sure how that is germane to this discussion...
- Can't comment on the Windsor hit I didn't see it.
- My statement about physics in this situation are applied correctly (I spent many years breaking down the dynamics of injuries and accidents)
- I love all hockey having played my entire life, rules vary slightly however the point here is not European or college hockey. It is the OHL and in this league hitting is allowed. Legal hits should not be penalized based on how bad it looks or the outcome. When the outcomes are negative it's time to review what has changed to cause this to happen. You speed up the game bigger hits are going to happen, you take away 2 line passes open ice hits are going to happen at higher speeds, you penalize players for clutching and grabbing or touching another player the game is going to speed up, yet the hitting aspect is still in place, so you've done everything to appease the masses such as yourself who enjoy the faster pace but what wasn't accounted for was the physical aspect of a game where your allowed to hit players of the opposing team when they have the puck. To sum it up for you, change the rules so the players can move more freely, faster, and less whistles, but when players get rocked by a legal hit at a faster pace what happens? Greater chance of injury. The game was fast before but we made it faster, by removing or penalizing certain elements to draw in a bigger fan base. Now everyone is on their heels because how do we fix this, it's simple but we look for other excuses rather than the obvious.

Osteonis is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 07:17 PM
  #789
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse 29 View Post
Surely you aren't comparing the Kassian hit on Kennedy to the Pastorious hit on Lemmon
Of course not! I'm a die-hard Colts fan! What I said was that many Windsor fans said Kassian connected with the chest and "physics blah blah blah" and "he was only suspended because it was featured on TSN blah blah blah". I don't think this hit is even in the same stratosphere, but I do Pastorious hit him in the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse 29 View Post
I suppose based on your comments that someone skating head down against the flow should be left alone or only have the opposing players whiff their sticks at the puck so as not to engage the opposing player.
I'm actually a proponent of option 3, which you don't outline - a good hard hip check. Remember those? I'm not in favour of hitting anyone anywhere near the head. We know too much about the damage it does long term, and we know most of these kids will never play pro, let alone in the show. I find it curious that many people find a "knee" dirty, but a shoulder to the head "clean" when the latter is far more dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse 29 View Post
Not sure of the statistics this year but IIRC last year the games lost to suspensions in the OHL were substantially greater than both the Q and the W put together. Interesting the Q has won the last 3 mem cups in a row.
I believe it. I'm not a season ticket holder out here, but I've been to quite a few WHL games and there are at least a handful of hits every single game that would be suspendable in the OHL. They hit hard and often out here and it's the wild west - anything goes. I've been to many live QMJHL games travelling throughout the Atlantic over the past several years and it's a different story - they just don't hit at all - it's pond hockey. Neither league turns out the top skill players as much as the OHL does though...and it's by far my favorite. That's one of the reasons I was an STH in Barrie for years and prefer to pay to continue to watch their games online rather than going to see the Oil Kings in person.

krazy kanuck is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 07:35 PM
  #790
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteonis View Post
- Can't comment on the Windsor hit I didn't see it.
Must be new to watching the OHL, this was the hit heard around the world four years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAcGSbrEi-c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteonis View Post
- My statement about physics in this situation are applied correctly (I spent many years breaking down the dynamics of injuries and accidents)
Like I said, it's been a long time so I'll take your word for it. Regardless, my interpretation of what happened is different than yours. It can't be a singular view, because the OHL saw it the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteonis View Post
- I love all hockey having played my entire life, rules vary slightly however the point here is not European or college hockey.
Actually, that was my point - that the CHL would continue to be the primary source of NHL talent because both European and NCAA hockey allow less physical play than the CHL by a considerable margin - you chose to take the conversation another direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteonis View Post
When the outcomes are negative it's time to review what has changed to cause this to happen. You speed up the game bigger hits are going to happen, you take away 2 line passes open ice hits are going to happen at higher speeds, you penalize players for clutching and grabbing or touching another player the game is going to speed up, yet the hitting aspect is still in place, so you've done everything to appease the masses such as yourself who enjoy the faster pace but what wasn't accounted for was the physical aspect of a game where your allowed to hit players of the opposing team when they have the puck.
Except in the OHL they have subsequently changed the part I bolded (maybe as you're a new fan you weren't aware) - you are no longer aloud to hit the head in any way, shape or form in this league:

Rule 48 – Checking to the Head

48.1 Checking to the Head - The act of checking an opponent to the head
in any manner.
48.2 Minor Penalty – A minor penalty shall be assessed to any player who
checks an opponent to the head area.
48.3 Major plus Game Misconduct Penalty – At the discretion of the
referee and based on the degree of impact a major penalty and a
game misconduct can be assessed any player who checks an
opponent to the head area.
48.4 Match Penalty – A match penalty shall be assessed to any player
who deliberately attempts to injure an opponent by checking to the
head area.

This is substantially different than the NHL rule, with which you may be more familiar:

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteonis View Post
To sum it up for you, change the rules so the players can move more freely, faster, and less whistles, but when players get rocked by a legal hit at a faster pace what happens? Greater chance of injury. The game was fast before but we made it faster, by removing or penalizing certain elements to draw in a bigger fan base. Now everyone is on their heels because how do we fix this, it's simple but we look for other excuses rather than the obvious.
Yep, well said. What were we talking about again?

krazy kanuck is offline  
Old
01-24-2014, 01:58 AM
  #791
Pony
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
Around the OHL talk all on London Knights? WTF!

Pony is offline  
Old
01-26-2014, 02:02 PM
  #792
Osteonis
Registered User
 
Osteonis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Must be new to watching the OHL, this was the hit heard around the world four years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAcGSbrEi-c



Like I said, it's been a long time so I'll take your word for it. Regardless, my interpretation of what happened is different than yours. It can't be a singular view, because the OHL saw it the same way.



Actually, that was my point - that the CHL would continue to be the primary source of NHL talent because both European and NCAA hockey allow less physical play than the CHL by a considerable margin - you chose to take the conversation another direction.



Except in the OHL they have subsequently changed the part I bolded (maybe as you're a new fan you weren't aware) - you are no longer aloud to hit the head in any way, shape or form in this league:

Rule 48 Checking to the Head

48.1 Checking to the Head - The act of checking an opponent to the head
in any manner.
48.2 Minor Penalty A minor penalty shall be assessed to any player who
checks an opponent to the head area.
48.3 Major plus Game Misconduct Penalty At the discretion of the
referee and based on the degree of impact a major penalty and a
game misconduct can be assessed any player who checks an
opponent to the head area.
48.4 Match Penalty A match penalty shall be assessed to any player
who deliberately attempts to injure an opponent by checking to the
head area.

This is substantially different than the NHL rule, with which you may be more familiar:

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered.




Yep, well said. What were we talking about again?
Well we were talking about the Pastorious hit, and I bolded a section of your post, because it is apparent you fail to understand its meaning. No you cannot hit a players head in any way shape or form. But contacting a player who hits his head after initial contact does not make it a hit to the head (again I refer you to physics), but by your logic that would include that to mean at any point if a player hits his head during contact then there should be a penalty of some sort because as you seem to see it, there was contact to the head. The bolded section refers to targeting the head, not the after effect of a clean hit in which the hit player then hits his head. And before you go quoting rules and hi lighting everything, I am aware of the wording head area, I would assume that to be neck up. Not chest, shoulders, etc.
as well your keenness to see hip checks as opposed to other forms of body contact, I can tell you a well timed and placed hip check is far more catostrophic than an open ice hit, and provides much greater opportunity for injury to numerous body parts including but not limited to the head. A player cartwheeling helplessly out of control is not a safer hit.

This is my last post on this thread because it is clear your view and scope is much narrower of the game and tends to lean in favour of what is popular. As for my noob status as you stated not in those exact words is a testament to your narrow and compliant opinions. Clearly bantering back and forth over this does not change anything so is no longer worth discussing.

Osteonis is offline  
Old
01-26-2014, 06:00 PM
  #793
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteonis View Post
But contacting a player who hits his head after initial contact does not make it a hit to the head (again I refer you to physics), but by your logic that would include that to mean at any point if a player hits his head during contact then there should be a penalty of some sort because as you seem to see it, there was contact to the head. The bolded section refers to targeting the head, not the after effect of a clean hit in which the hit player then hits his head.
The NHL rule includes the piece about targeting. The OHL rule, simply states hitting the head, "in any manner" is against the rules. That is the OHL logic. It is the equivalent of the high stick rule in the NHL - accidental or otherwise, it is a penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteonis View Post
This is my last post on this thread because it is clear your view and scope is much narrower of the game and tends to lean in favour of what is popular.
I'm not sure many would agree with you that all my views are "popular" but ok - all the best to you.

krazy kanuck is offline  
Old
02-01-2014, 08:58 PM
  #794
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,768
vCash: 500
Like this fight...2nd big comeback against the Knights this year? Maybe a little short...

krazy kanuck is offline  
Old
02-07-2014, 07:33 AM
  #795
jolly roger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Country: Iceland
Posts: 824
vCash: 500
The goaltending has blown up the last couple games. Score 6 and lose by four??? Why aren't they giving Labelle, the draft pick , a start. Couldn't do any worse, and surely he's in the future mix with Blackwood, not Gibl IMO.

jolly roger is offline  
Old
02-07-2014, 12:23 PM
  #796
Racer14
Always Watching
 
Racer14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
anyone see how Fotinos is doing in Windsor?

Racer14 is offline  
Old
02-07-2014, 12:57 PM
  #797
ptbopete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Knock Knock
Barrie: "who's there?"
Voice outside the door: "Peterborough".

ptbopete is offline  
Old
02-07-2014, 04:42 PM
  #798
jolly roger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Country: Iceland
Posts: 824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipertim View Post
Knock Knock
Barrie: "who's there?"
Voice outside the door: "Peterborough".
Which goalie 's guarding the door? 31 goals in 5 games won't cut it between the 2 of them. Luckily Ottawa is on the horizon.

jolly roger is offline  
Old
02-07-2014, 04:52 PM
  #799
jolly roger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Country: Iceland
Posts: 824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
anyone see how Fotinos is doing in Windsor?
I'm guessing you know the answer: 17-6, 3.29, .902, the hottest team in the O even with that bad injury.

jolly roger is offline  
Old
02-07-2014, 05:40 PM
  #800
mouse 29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Barrie
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly roger View Post
I'm guessing you know the answer: 17-6, 3.29, .902, the hottest team in the O even with that bad injury.
I guess he must have spit in Hawerchucks Cheerios just like another goalie named Dalton McGrath. Neither were good enough for Barrie.

mouse 29 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.