*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-01-2013, 08:59 PM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
Does anyone know what sort of a lineup the Colts used? Who played goal? These early games are relatively meaningless , of course!
Not sure what the lines were but Blackwood started and Fotinos came in halfway through.

Old
09-04-2013, 03:28 PM
mouse 29

vCash: 500
Gibl

Have been away for a while and was just wondering what if any news on Gibl. I see that Fotinos and Blackwood have played both exhibition games.
Any one have any info would be appreciated.

Old
09-05-2013, 07:38 AM
LeafsColts13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse 29 View Post
Have been away for a while and was just wondering what if any news on Gibl. I see that Fotinos and Blackwood have played both exhibition games.
Any one have any info would be appreciated.
I'm gonna guess its maybe due too that he is a import and is waiting for his import papers to play here. Just a guess but I hope he plays friday. I haven't seen proof Fotinos wants the starters job so far.

Old
09-05-2013, 11:39 AM
mouse 29

Gibl

Thanks for the insight on Gibl.
Too bad regarding Fotinos - I was cheering for him only cause he has been waiting for a while now.

Old
09-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Harky121*

Anybody know where macdonald, theoret and yuill were in game 2 of the pre-season?

Old
09-06-2013, 07:20 AM
KnightSpit

BARRIE vs. ERIE OTTERS Tonight

Hi everyone

I will be at the game tonight. If you have not seen McDavid live, he is worth the price of admission and then some. The kid is the real deal.

Can anyone tell me what is the parking situation in Barrie and is the food as in concessions being decent? I have heard you guys have a great rink.

Thanks so much

Old
09-06-2013, 07:57 AM
mouse 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Hi everyone

I will be at the game tonight. If you have not seen McDavid live, he is worth the price of admission and then some. The kid is the real deal.

Can anyone tell me what is the parking situation in Barrie and is the food as in concessions being decent? I have heard you guys have a great rink.

Thanks so much
Parking is ample either at the BMC or across the road at Rona or in the mall area.
The food at the rink is OK, either at the concessions or in the restaurant.
If not then you have several choices directly across the road - Buffalo wild wings, Lone Star, Milestones, and a couple of others. There is also a Tim Hortons in the Esso gas station again across from the rink.

Looking forward to watching McDavid and the Swedish import ( sorry can'y remember how to spell his name)

Old
09-07-2013, 09:31 AM
KnightSpit

BARRIE VS. ERIE Friday Night

Was at the game last night

All I can say apart from the $5.00 for a bag of average sized popcorn, you have a first class facility all the way.

Good luck Colts

Old
09-12-2013, 09:40 PM
krazy kanuck

Well, it's a bit disheartening that the Colts were deemed to have an uncompetitive team when it came to the Memorial Cup bid, but now the CHL has them in the honorable mention section of the preseason top ten rankings. They're the fourth highest ranked OHL team (behind London, Guelph and Kingston). What changed over course of the summer? :s

Just have to go through the front door, and I don't mean losing to the Knights in the final again.

Go Colts Go!

Old
09-12-2013, 11:50 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Well, it's a bit disheartening that the Colts were deemed to have an uncompetitive team when it came to the Memorial Cup bid, but now the CHL has them in the honorable mention section of the preseason top ten rankings. They're the fourth highest ranked OHL team (behind London, Guelph and Kingston). What changed over course of the summer? :s

Just have to go through the front door, and I don't mean losing to the Knights in the final again.

Go Colts Go!
Personally I had Barrie ahead of Guelph and Kingston.

Old
09-13-2013, 04:29 PM
LeafsColts13

Quote:

Go Colts Go!
I don't put much into these rankings but saying the colts won't be competitive was more of a reasoning to give London the Memorial Cup again. London in first in the preseason rankings for beating Sarnia twice shouldn't get 1st imo.

Anyway, colts have a home and home with Guelph this weekend. Hopefully both teams get some players back for saturday.

Old
09-13-2013, 04:32 PM
mouse 29

Any word on Bradford for tonight? I had read that he is injured

Old
09-13-2013, 06:42 PM
LeafsColts13

Quote:
Any word on Bradford for tonight? I had read that he is injured
Don't know about tonight but last I heard during training camp he was week to week with a hip injury. That was a few weeks ago so he is probably getting close.

Old
09-14-2013, 09:35 PM
krazy kanuck

I know the preseason doesn't mean a whole lot, but five-and-oh is five-and-oh... Great start and missing some key pieces. It will be good to get things going on Thursday - hopefully this keeps up.

Old
09-16-2013, 10:20 AM
LeafsColts13

Quote:
I know the preseason doesn't mean a whole lot, but five-and-oh is five-and-oh... Great start and missing some key pieces. It will be good to get things going on Thursday - hopefully this keeps up.
Some guys really stepped up so far. As much as I was against Fawcett playing the mins he did last year, he has come in this season improved on every aspect if the game. Lebanc is much better than I expected. Kreis has been good in all the games I have seen him in so far for a 97' rookie. All three goalies have played well. Fotinos has had a slow start but has really played well the last 3 games. When everybody comes back from NHL camps it looks like the colts will be at the top of the east again this year.

Old
09-17-2013, 05:08 PM
mouse 29

So disappointing to hear that Hall, Theoret and Dotchin all being released back to Jr, that only leaves AA to hear from. Part of me is sad for the boys, but the other part is glad we get a chance to watch them again.
Any thoughts on AA, when and if he will return, and will the other 3 be playing Thursday??

Old
09-18-2013, 07:42 AM
LeafsColts13

Quote:
So disappointing to hear that Hall, Theoret and Dotchin all being released back to Jr, that only leaves AA to hear from. Part of me is sad for the boys, but the other part is glad we get a chance to watch them again.
Any thoughts on AA, when and if he will return, and will the other 3 be playing Thursday??
Unless they are injured they should be in the lineup Thursday. AA played against the Blackhawks last night so he might be in the next round of cuts or they might keep him a little longer but I expect him back. The way Detroit develops he wont see full time with the red wings for a while yet.

Old
09-18-2013, 09:27 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
I don't think it was surprising and therefore not disappointing that all three are back. I've been saying since last year that the Colts could count on Hall and Theoret. As mentioned in the previous post Athanasiou will also be back - it's a matter of when, not if. The Colts are going to be very strong once again this year. They will hopefully get off to a fast start with everyone back, and with some of the other teams being depleted. Likely a trade to bolster things and with some luck, Kempe finding his way over at some point...

Old
09-18-2013, 01:40 PM
mouse 29

Yes I was expecting them all back, but you always wish the best for the players. Anyway if Kempe does come it would definitely be a boost. (hopefully)
Any thoughts on who they might be looking as to acquire, I assume we may wait until later to make any trades. I can think of several players that Barrie might take a look at, but hopefully we don't throw away next year for a rental.
The one player I would love to see in a Barrie uniform is Wilson if he is returned, as I doubt Plymouth would want to trade with London.
I am hopeful that Barrie is in good standing with their goal tending, and perhaps look at adding some strength on D or perhaps adding a sniper or another top line centre man.
I believe that Barrie has depth this year but may be a little short on offence. Hopefully I am wrong and we can look at 6-10, 20 goal players not including HAll and company.
That would be nice.

Old
09-18-2013, 07:13 PM
LeafsColts13

Athanasiou has been returned by the red wings so the colts should have a full lineup unless Bradford is still injured. Also Ekblad has been named captain with Hall, Fawcett and Bradford as assistants.

Old
09-19-2013, 07:53 AM
mouse 29

Watching Bob Mckenzies 2014 draft special last night, there was a lot of discussion regarding Eckblad.
So if Eckblad is chosen 1st or 2nd overall, will this be his last year in Jr.? Given the fact that normally the 1st or 2nd picks don't usually get returned.
Also, gIven the fact that he will not be 19 until Feb 2014 does that matter? Seem to remember something a while back regarding players having to be 19. Don't remember for sure, perhaps someone can clarify?

Old
09-19-2013, 09:21 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Watching Bob Mckenzies 2014 draft special last night, there was a lot of discussion regarding Eckblad.
So if Eckblad is chosen 1st or 2nd overall, will this be his last year in Jr.? Given the fact that normally the 1st or 2nd picks don't usually get returned.
Also, gIven the fact that he will not be 19 until Feb 2014 does that matter? Seem to remember something a while back regarding players having to be 19. Don't remember for sure, perhaps someone can clarify?
To clarify as long as he is 18 he can stay with an NHL team,assuming he goes top 2/3 he will stick in the NHL imo,this is his last season in the O

Old
09-19-2013, 09:26 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Anyway if Kempe does come it would definitely be a boost. (hopefully)
Yep, and no further trades required.

Quote:
Any thoughts on who they might be looking as to acquire, I assume we may wait until later to make any trades. I can think of several players that Barrie might take a look at, but hopefully we don't throw away next year for a rental.
I think it depends on who gets returned and when teams start to fall out of it. It wouldn't surprise me to see them go after a Monahan if he comes back to the OHL (I don't think he will) because the owner likes to make those sorts of splashes. Next year is likely a rebuild year regardless.

Quote:
I believe that Barrie has depth this year but may be a little short on offence.
I don't think they will be. As it is, I think the Colts are one of only two teams returning 3 top 50 scorers from last season (the Knights would be the other, assuming Domi, Horvat etal come back). Expect growth from Athanasiou, Bradford, Ekblad, Lemieux, MacDonald etc. Hall and Theoret should be flirt with the top 10 in scoring. Labanc and Kreis should have reasonable third line output as well.

Quote:
So far as I know, all the usual rules apply to Ekblad. That is, if his NHL wants to keep him in the show as an 18-year old, they can, but he can't go to the AHL for a couple more years.

Quote:
It likely is...I think he could play in a limited role in the NHL this season...but it does depend on who drafts him (is it actually a last place team, does another team trade up or win the lottery etc.). There's some question as to whether AE5 will be drafted in the top 3. I think he will, but there's speculation on others...heck, some suggest he won't even be the first OHL defenceman drafted (I certainly don't agree with it, but I have read it). If he is drafted first that doesn't guarantee anything either. While most 1st/2nd overall picks do stick immediately after being drafted, it's usually a forward taken in those slots. Most defencemen are not picked 1/2 overall, and most 1st round defencemen do not stick in the NHL in their first season.

Old
09-19-2013, 09:27 AM
tjziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
To clarify as long as he is 18 he can stay with an NHL team,assuming he goes top 2/3 he will stick in the NHL imo,this is his last season in the O
He won't be back next year. And as for Ekblad getting drafted, I guarantee he is going to be the No 1. overall pick this year.

Old
09-19-2013, 09:32 AM
EON 93
very ok poster

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjziel View Post
He won't be back next year. And as for Ekblad getting drafted, I guarantee he is going to be the No 1. overall pick this year.
I wouldn't guarantee that, numbers 1-4 are a bit up in the air right now, but I agree this is definitely his last season in the O.

Closed Thread