*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Ward Cornell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post

So far as I know, all the usual rules apply to Ekblad. That is, if his NHL wants to keep him in the show as an 18-year old, they can, but he can't go to the AHL for a couple more years.
Someone can maybe confirm this.....If a player is in the CHL for 4 years then he could be sent to the AHL without being 20.

Old
09-19-2013, 09:34 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Someone can maybe confirm this.....If a player is in the CHL for 4 years then he could be sent to the AHL without being 20.
That is correct,I seem to remember Jason Spezza was in that situation

Old
09-19-2013, 02:04 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjziel View Post
He won't be back next year. And as for Ekblad getting drafted, I guarantee he is going to be the No 1. overall pick this year.
He's my #1, but many have Reinhart first and some have others including McKeown ahead of him in the draft. I think after Captaining the Colts to an OHL Championship, he'll be at the top of everyone's list . It should be interesting...

Last edited by krazy kanuck: 09-19-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old
09-19-2013, 03:59 PM
mouse 29

Thanks everyone for your comments regarding EA5.

Now I have another question, given that Barrie currently has 7-94's, 9-95's and assuming EA5 goes off to the NHL next year(I am hoping he stays for 1 more Year) does Barrie go all out and make a run this Year, and then go into a semi rebuild the next year?
Acquiring the players that may be available will be expensive. ie: Monahan(not 100% sure Ottawa will trade him), Quine, Goodrow, Gaunce?, Wilson, etc.. Or perhaps some older D/M like Basso(never been a big fan) Crombeen, etc.
I feel Barrie definitely has the talent this year to contend for the East and possible be in the top 3 in the O. I am not a big fan of trading the farm for one year. Just look at Mississauga rite now and what we went thru after Marty's last season.

Anyway your thoughts

Old
09-19-2013, 04:07 PM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse 29 View Post
Thanks everyone for your comments regarding EA5.

Now I have another question, given that Barrie currently has 7-94's, 9-95's and assuming EA5 goes off to the NHL next year(I am hoping he stays for 1 more Year) does Barrie go all out and make a run this Year, and then go into a semi rebuild the next year?
Acquiring the players that may be available will be expensive. ie: Monahan(not 100% sure Ottawa will trade him), Quine, Goodrow, Gaunce?, Wilson, etc.. Or perhaps some older D/M like Basso(never been a big fan) Crombeen, etc.
I feel Barrie definitely has the talent this year to contend for the East and possible be in the top 3 in the O. I am not a big fan of trading the farm for one year. Just look at Mississauga rite now and what we went thru after Marty's last season.

Anyway your thoughts
Maybe make a upgrade if it doesn't cost us a lot as I think the colts have a great chance this year. Monahan would be nice but he would cost a lot. Maybe upgrade our 3rd OA at the deadline.

Next year as you said will be a retooling year. Considering how quickly Jason Ford turned it around after the 2010-11 season I expect a small drop off next year then back to the top in a few years.

Old
09-19-2013, 04:13 PM
mouse 29

I agree LC13 I believe we make an upgrade in O/A's this year.

Also this apparently has been confirmed Basso to the Knights.

Old
09-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

OA's i dont see getting touched...Theoret and Hall are two of the best in the league by far and we all know the Fawcett Situation...I know if Theo or Hall stuck in the A there were talks to bring in Brace from Owen Sound...

Old
09-20-2013, 02:53 AM
Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
OA's i dont see getting touched...Theoret and Hall are two of the best in the league by far and we all know the Fawcett Situation...I know if Theo or Hall stuck in the A there were talks to bring in Brace from Owen Sound...
How the heck do they have Fawcett on the point on the power play? MacDonald is twice the player and never gets a chance on top power play. I thought the rookies looked good tonight. Kreis, Labanc and Mangiapagne played ou well. Athanasiou could get three breakaways every night. Thank you very much, London.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:06 AM
clearwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
How the heck do they have Fawcett on the point on the power play? MacDonald is twice the player and never gets a chance on top power play. I thought the rookies looked good tonight. Kreis, Labanc and Mangiapagne played ou well. Athanasiou could get three breakaways every night. Thank you very much, London.
Congrat with the win Barrie but you guys are a very small team with no push back. Yes skilled, but when the games start getting tougher, especially in the playoffs, you guys will struggle.

Old
09-20-2013, 09:36 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
Congrat with the win Barrie but you guys are a very small team with no push back. Yes skilled, but when the games start getting tougher, especially in the playoffs, you guys will struggle.
I didn't see the game, so I can't really comment on what occurred, but this doesn't really sound like Aaron Ekblad. In fact, the defence is made up of mostly 6'3"/6'4", 215lb players. Up front, while they could certainly use another Camara type player, the likes of Lemieux, Anthanasiou, Theoret etc. aren't exactly small.

Actually, if you compare the rosters, this team is actually bigger than the team that was within tenths of a second of taking game 7 of the final to OT. A couple of the guys who left (Beyers, O'Connor) were actually quite small and every returning player (18 of them) is just a year older, bigger and stronger. Respectfully, I don't really think that's going to be an issue.

Last edited by krazy kanuck: 09-20-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old
09-20-2013, 09:38 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
Athanasiou could get three breakaways every night. Thank you very much, London.
Trades with London have generally worked out very well. Too bad there isn't likely to be another this year... Maybe we can take either Sarnia or Windsor to the cleaners again...haven't done that in a while... Otherwise maybe we can work something out with our usual partner, Saginaw. Would be nice to get Locke back (if he's returned).

Old
09-20-2013, 09:40 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
That is correct,I seem to remember Jason Spezza was in that situation
Thanks for the clarification - I wasn't aware. So that means he could come back this season and next, but the following year he could go to the AHL. I don't think it matters though...he'll probably be in the show next year, the year after seems like a certainty.

Old
09-20-2013, 09:41 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
Wonder what it would cost to get Nastasiuk out of Owen Sound? It's been so long since we've had a Barrie kid contribute meaningfully on the Colts...

Old
09-20-2013, 09:43 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Wonder what it would cost to get Nastasiuk out of Owen Sound? It's been so long since we've had a Barrie kid contribute meaningfully on the Colts...
With him only 18 I doubt Owen Sd moves him,if he were 19 or even 20 I could see it
happening

Old
09-20-2013, 10:17 PM
krazy kanuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpk-y77nWpw

Old
09-24-2013, 09:37 AM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 970
Quote:
That line is gonna give other teams nightmare's. This is gonna be a fun team to watch.

Old
09-24-2013, 05:15 PM
mouse 29

Does anyone have any idea regarding the number of centres we currently have. I very possible could be mistaken but I believe we currently have Theoret, Fawcet, Kriess, Bradford, Corson, Hall, AA (according to Detroit) and I am sure there are others.
Just curious if anyone has heard any trade rumours or rumblings?

Old
09-24-2013, 06:03 PM
mouse 29

So apparently Seiloff Assigned to AHL and not returning to the spits. If the spits (as some think) should sell and go into a rebuild, any interest in any spits players??
Rockwell???, Vail, Johnson, Ebert, Bilkie, Ho Sang, Bowen, Marchesse???
Just putting it out there.

Old
09-24-2013, 11:29 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Does anyone have any idea regarding the number of centres we currently have. I very possible could be mistaken but I believe we currently have Theoret, Fawcet, Kriess, Bradford, Corson, Hall, AA (according to Detroit) and I am sure there are others.
Just curious if anyone has heard any trade rumours or rumblings?
Many players flex from centre to the wing. In the case of the Colts, Anthanasiou, Bradford and Theoret all play the wing...did all year last seasons. Kreiss will probably play the wing this season two. Hall and Bradford are the only two guaranteed centres. I'd be more worried about RW to be honest, but it seems like Anthanasiou and Kreiss may spend some time on the off-wing.

Old
09-24-2013, 11:48 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
So apparently Seiloff Assigned to AHL and not returning to the spits. If the spits (as some think) should sell and go into a rebuild, any interest in any spits players??
Rockwell???, Vail, Johnson, Ebert, Bilkie, Ho Sang, Bowen, Marchesse???
Just putting it out there.
Vail: Work ethic seems to get questioned a lot. No thanks.
Ebert: I think this D is pretty solid. Never reached his potential, why take the risk?
Bilcke: Why?
Ho Sang: Can't imagine the Spits trade him as an 18 year old.
Bowen: Maybe if he's cheap enough as depth D.
Marchesse: Could use some size on the right wing.

You didn't mention Keokkeok...oft injured but he would be an upgrade. The other interesting one would be Rychel...the native son returning home...

Old
09-25-2013, 05:37 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Vail: Work ethic seems to get questioned a lot. No thanks.
Ebert: I think this D is pretty solid. Never reached his potential, why take the risk?
Bilcke: Why?
Ho Sang: Can't imagine the Spits trade him as an 18 year old.
Bowen: Maybe if he's cheap enough as depth D.
Marchesse: Could use some size on the right wing.

You didn't mention Keokkeok...oft injured but he would be an upgrade. The other interesting one would be Rychel...the native son returning home...
Good post,re Rychel ha ha,funny thing I thought about that,if there is need its another scorer with some grit,especially after the losses of Scheifele and Camara
The others on the list above HoSang not withstanding would be of little value to
the Colts especially Marchese,especially since he is out till mid Feb at the earliest,because of the roster configuration of the colts

Old
09-25-2013, 03:50 PM
mouse 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Good post,re Rychel ha ha,funny thing I thought about that,if there is need its another scorer with some grit,especially after the losses of Scheifele and Camara
The others on the list above HoSang not withstanding would be of little value to
the Colts especially Marchese,especially since he is out till mid Feb at the earliest,because of the roster configuration of the colts
Just thought I would throw some names out.

In regards to Slater K - i am not 100% on him, lots of projected talent, labored on two low level teams, too many injuries, and concerns on attitude and effort. Maybe a change would be beneficial for him, DON'T know, and at what cost??.

As for Kerby, he shunned us once before, (a variety of reasons) sniper no question, good presence in the offensive zone, but what about the rest of the rink?? He gets tons of minutes in Windsor and is put in every possible advantageous situation that Windsor has.
Albeit we don't see him a lot, and maybe there is more to his game that we don't know. I am guessing that a 40-50 goal scoring on Windsor may not translate into the same for other teams, given that he may not see the same amount of ice time, and may be expected to more of a team player.(??) As suggested in other threads he would command a 1st rounder in return- I would not give up Kreiss, No way no how!!

However I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, and probably won't be the last. HAHA

Anyway any thoughts on the O/A situation in Owen Sound. We seem to have a good re-pour with them. KK you mentioned earlier about Barrie talking to OS regarding Brace. Maybe we should investigate that further, gotta be a better upgrade that one of our present OA's. Also what about Gabriel, I think he would look good in a Colts jersey and may not cost all that much. I think Rose and ??? (sorry can't remember the other one) may not be bad either depending on the cost.

In terms of a PP quarter back I have often thought that we should give Yull a shot at this. I don't know why just a gut feeling that he might excel at it. He is a smart player, quick, good passer, adequate shot, and as I said I just have a feeling he might do very well at it.

Old
09-25-2013, 03:58 PM
goodtimes

Quote:
Well, it's a bit disheartening that the Colts were deemed to have an uncompetitive team when it came to the Memorial Cup bid, but now the CHL has them in the honorable mention section of the preseason top ten rankings. They're the fourth highest ranked OHL team (behind London, Guelph and Kingston). What changed over course of the summer? :s

Just have to go through the front door, and I don't mean losing to the Knights in the final again.

Go Colts Go!
Wasn't the argument that the Knights have a better team (which they do) wherefore would get it ? There's a big difference being #1 and an Honourable mention?

Old
09-25-2013, 05:28 PM
mouse 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
Wasn't the argument that the Knights have a better team (which they do) wherefore would get it ? There's a big difference being #1 and an Honourable mention?
Yes and we all know where Mr Branch's allegiances lie.

Old
09-25-2013, 08:31 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
Well, I suppose there's the debate. Is the concern enlisting the best team, or is it to make sure you have a team that can compete? It's always been the latter, but in this case the standard seems to have changed.

As for which team is better, we shall see. There was all this talk about the players that would be returning to London (Broadhurst, Domi, Griffith, Horvat, Maatta, Zadorov) but none of them are back yet... Some are done for sure and others are becoming more questionable by the day... There was all sorts of talk about the players the Colts wouldn't be getting back (among them Hall and Theoret) but they did return. The Colts appear to have had better additions via the draft. Should be interesting...

Closed Thread