HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Russian NHL team?

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2003, 07:09 AM
Habber

vCash: 500
Russian NHL team?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=55094

Story about a Russian billionare wanting to buy the Canucks and turn them into an all-russian team. Seems crazy to me unless he's planning to move the team to Russia. Who is going to pay to watch a team of all Russians? If I'm a Canucks fan, I boycott the team if this ever went through.

(If it does happen though, they'll want some russians so I guess we could trade them Markov straight up for Burtuzzi.)

Old
09-25-2003, 07:25 AM
Corey

The Detroit fans were very happy with their Russian players when they won the Cup. I think it would be different in Montréal.

Old
09-25-2003, 07:46 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=55094

Story about a Russian billionare wanting to buy the Canucks and turn them into an all-russian team. Seems crazy to me unless he's planning to move the team to Russia. Who is going to pay to watch a team of all Russians? If I'm a Canucks fan, I boycott the team if this ever went through.

(If it does happen though, they'll want some russians so I guess we could trade them Markov straight up for Burtuzzi.)
You are crazy!!!

Team full of Russians? This guy already bought English Premiear league team Chelsea and doesn't have any plans to fill it with the Russians.

He also bought one of RSL clubs.

Guy is unbelievable rich and might be the best thing that'll happen to the Canucks(if this happens).

Old
09-25-2003, 07:49 AM
Cosanostra

This guy's net worth is 18 billion. Maybe someone should tell him the Expos are for sale. We already have an All-Latino team, I wonder if that would do???

Old
09-25-2003, 08:23 AM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
You are crazy!!!

Team full of Russians? This guy already bought English Premiear league team Chelsea and doesn't have any plans to feel it with the Russians.

Guy is unbelievable rich and might be the best thing that'll happen to the Canucks(if this happens).
Apparenetly you didn't read the story. A couple of quotes:

"Russian-born NHL players spending the summer in their homeland heard rumours of a possible purchase by Abramovich of an NHL team that would be stocked entirely with Russian players."

``It wouldn't hurt to have our own, wholly Russian team in the National Hockey League,'' says Fetisov.

Old
09-25-2003, 08:36 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Team full of Russians? This guy already bought English Premiear league team Chelsea and doesn't have any plans to feel it with the Russians.
There are rules in that league which only allow a certain ammount of non-british players per team.

Quote:
Avangard Omsk to be exact, who are loaded with Russian players.

Quote:
If he fills the team with Russian players it would be worst thing.

Old
09-25-2003, 10:53 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
There are rules in that league which only allow a certain ammount of non-british players per team.

Avangard Omsk to be exact, who are loaded with Russian players.

If he fills the team with Russian players it would be worst thing.

Of course Pmsk is loaded with Russian players...When you have arenas that fit at most 10,000 people and at most they can pay $20 per game
who do you expect to see there? 5,000,000 players?

Old
09-25-2003, 11:17 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Of course Pmsk is loaded with Russian players...When you have arenas that fit at most 10,000 people and at most they can pay $20 per game
who do you expect to see there? 5,000,000 players?
I fail to see your point... What or who are you arguing against?

Old
09-25-2003, 12:03 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
I fail to see your point... What or who are you arguing against?

All I am saying is that it's really not a surprise that Abramovich's team in Omsk is filled with Russians...It's only natural.

OTOH to be competetive in the NHL Roman will keep NHL caliber roster..I doubt it very much that he would risk to put all Russian-team(I assume they will be from Russia not Russians who is already playing here )

On the other hand this article looks like nothing but a rumor.

Old
09-25-2003, 12:11 PM
danboulie

Send a message via MSN to danboulie
I really hope that doens't Happen.
They have some amazing players who aren't russian (Bertuzzi for example) and to trade them away would be ridiculous.

Old
09-25-2003, 02:09 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
OTOH to be competetive in the NHL Roman will keep NHL caliber roster..I doubt it very much that he would risk to put all Russian-team(I assume they will be from Russia not Russians who is already playing here )
But if he wanted to, he could. Supposedly he's a pretty big hockey fan and being Russian, his dream is probably to see a team comprised of Russian players win the cup. And if he were to make an all-Russian team, it would be filled with NHL stars, not guys from european leagues.

Quote:
On the other hand this article looks like nothing but a rumor.
Probably.

Old
09-25-2003, 02:56 PM
tinyzombies

It would be awesome for the NHL for this to happen. I hope it does!

Remember when the Nordiques tried to have an all-French team tho? That didn't work out so good. You still have to take the best player.

Closed Thread