HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Russian NHL team?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-25-2003, 07:09 AM
  #1
Habber
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Sask.
Posts: 2,030
vCash: 500
Russian NHL team?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=55094

Story about a Russian billionare wanting to buy the Canucks and turn them into an all-russian team. Seems crazy to me unless he's planning to move the team to Russia. Who is going to pay to watch a team of all Russians? If I'm a Canucks fan, I boycott the team if this ever went through.

(If it does happen though, they'll want some russians so I guess we could trade them Markov straight up for Burtuzzi.)

Habber is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 07:25 AM
  #2
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
The Detroit fans were very happy with their Russian players when they won the Cup. I think it would be different in Montréal.

Corey is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 07:46 AM
  #3
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=55094

Story about a Russian billionare wanting to buy the Canucks and turn them into an all-russian team. Seems crazy to me unless he's planning to move the team to Russia. Who is going to pay to watch a team of all Russians? If I'm a Canucks fan, I boycott the team if this ever went through.

(If it does happen though, they'll want some russians so I guess we could trade them Markov straight up for Burtuzzi.)
You are crazy!!!

Team full of Russians? This guy already bought English Premiear league team Chelsea and doesn't have any plans to fill it with the Russians.

He also bought one of RSL clubs.

Guy is unbelievable rich and might be the best thing that'll happen to the Canucks(if this happens).

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 07:49 AM
  #4
Cosanostra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
This guy's net worth is 18 billion. Maybe someone should tell him the Expos are for sale. We already have an All-Latino team, I wonder if that would do???

Cosanostra is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 08:23 AM
  #5
Habber
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Sask.
Posts: 2,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
You are crazy!!!

Team full of Russians? This guy already bought English Premiear league team Chelsea and doesn't have any plans to feel it with the Russians.

He also bought one of RSL clubs.

Guy is unbelievable rich and might be the best thing that'll happen to the Canucks(if this happens).
Apparenetly you didn't read the story. A couple of quotes:

"Russian-born NHL players spending the summer in their homeland heard rumours of a possible purchase by Abramovich of an NHL team that would be stocked entirely with Russian players."

``It wouldn't hurt to have our own, wholly Russian team in the National Hockey League,'' says Fetisov.

Habber is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 08:36 AM
  #6
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Team full of Russians? This guy already bought English Premiear league team Chelsea and doesn't have any plans to feel it with the Russians.
There are rules in that league which only allow a certain ammount of non-british players per team.

Quote:
He also bought one of RSL clubs.
Avangard Omsk to be exact, who are loaded with Russian players.

Quote:
Guy is unbelievable rich and might be the best thing that'll happen to the Canucks(if this happens).
If he fills the team with Russian players it would be worst thing.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 10:53 AM
  #7
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
There are rules in that league which only allow a certain ammount of non-british players per team.



Avangard Omsk to be exact, who are loaded with Russian players.



If he fills the team with Russian players it would be worst thing.

Of course Pmsk is loaded with Russian players...When you have arenas that fit at most 10,000 people and at most they can pay $20 per game
who do you expect to see there? 5,000,000 players?

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 11:17 AM
  #8
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Of course Pmsk is loaded with Russian players...When you have arenas that fit at most 10,000 people and at most they can pay $20 per game
who do you expect to see there? 5,000,000 players?
I fail to see your point... What or who are you arguing against?

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 12:03 PM
  #9
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
I fail to see your point... What or who are you arguing against?

All I am saying is that it's really not a surprise that Abramovich's team in Omsk is filled with Russians...It's only natural.

OTOH to be competetive in the NHL Roman will keep NHL caliber roster..I doubt it very much that he would risk to put all Russian-team(I assume they will be from Russia not Russians who is already playing here )

On the other hand this article looks like nothing but a rumor.

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 12:11 PM
  #10
danboulie
Registered User
 
danboulie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to danboulie
I really hope that doens't Happen.
They have some amazing players who aren't russian (Bertuzzi for example) and to trade them away would be ridiculous.

danboulie is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 02:09 PM
  #11
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
OTOH to be competetive in the NHL Roman will keep NHL caliber roster..I doubt it very much that he would risk to put all Russian-team(I assume they will be from Russia not Russians who is already playing here )
But if he wanted to, he could. Supposedly he's a pretty big hockey fan and being Russian, his dream is probably to see a team comprised of Russian players win the cup. And if he were to make an all-Russian team, it would be filled with NHL stars, not guys from european leagues.

Quote:
On the other hand this article looks like nothing but a rumor.
Probably.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 02:56 PM
  #12
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,453
vCash: 500
It would be awesome for the NHL for this to happen. I hope it does!

Remember when the Nordiques tried to have an all-French team tho? That didn't work out so good. You still have to take the best player.

tinyzombies is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.