HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

EDM/Philly proposal

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Chayos

vCash: 500
EDM/Philly proposal

The flyers need a hard nose crease clearing d-man and the oil need a top 6 center with size.

How does this look.

Jason Smith and Brad isbister for Handzus.

The flyers keep up the size movement in this deal and get a tougher. The oil get the Big center we need.

Both teams are dealing from positions of strength. The Flyers have carter and richards ready to go and the oil are deep at LW and D right now.

Old
05-16-2005, 03:48 PM
Sens4Cup

Isbister

I'd say take Isbister off that deal, he has about zero value right now on the trade block.

How about Smith and a 2nd rounder for Handzus?

Old
05-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Smith for Handzus stright up is about as fair as you're going to get

Old
05-16-2005, 04:18 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
From a Flyers POV for me, tempting, but no thanks. I like Smith as a defenseman a lot, but we already have Danny Markov who fills a similar role. Also, Smith is about 3 1/2 years older. Zeus also fills a very valuable role for the Flyers. He's that 2nd line center with a big body that can play on both the PK and the PP. Also has a pretty nice snap shot and has shown that he can produce when played with other top 6 players and he can score when paired on lower lines. I thought one of the most underrated achievements for the Flyers in the last few years was Handzus netting 23 goals in 2002-2003 while playing with most of the year with guys such as Somik and Brashear (anyone remember that line that was on fire for about 10 games?). Smith is good, but the D isn't too shabby.

Johnsson-Pitkanen
Markov-Desjardins
Timander-Seidenberg

Ideally, I'd still like to see Pitkanen getting 2nd pairing time with a lot of emphasis on the PP, but I don't know if that will work out. Timander was great last year, +15 in 39 games during the regular season. Also chipped in with 6 points in the playoffs including big goals against TB and NJD. I really think that he's adapted very well to Hitch's system and he is a great 3rd pairing d-man for Philly. I also remember reading somewhere that he is going to come back from Modo, if that isn't correct, then there is a major hole.

Zeus is just much more important to the forwards.

Gagne-Carter-Roenick
Demitra/Stillman-Handzus-Radiojevic
Knuble-Primeau-Kapanen
Stevenson-Richards-Sharpe

That'd probably be my ideal line-up. I think that Clarke will sign a good FA wing and hopefully they can nab Demitra (great chemistry with Handzus) or Stillman as a 2nd choice. I really think with this lineup, Handzus could easily net 20+ goals and 50+ points. I'm not so sure about Primeau.

So in conclusion, until Carter and/or Richards establish themselves as top-line centers, I have trouble giving up Handzus.

Old
05-16-2005, 05:00 PM
mercury

Handzus, Sharp, and a 3rd for Smith and Torres, or Handzus and Sharp for Staios, Torres, and McDonald?

Old
05-16-2005, 05:05 PM
FlyersFan10*

How about Handzus and Umberger for Rita and Brewer?

Old
05-16-2005, 05:07 PM
FlyersFan10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Gagne-Carter-Roenick
Demitra/Stillman-Handzus-Radiojevic
Knuble-Primeau-Kapanen
Stevenson-Richards-Sharpe

That'd probably be my ideal line-up. I think that Clarke will sign a good FA wing and hopefully they can nab Demitra (great chemistry with Handzus) or Stillman as a 2nd choice. I really think with this lineup, Handzus could easily net 20+ goals and 50+ points.
Handzus already scored 20+ goals and 50+ points without this lineup. Give him a Demitra or Stillman to work with and there isn't a reason why he can't get 65 to 70 per season.

Old
05-16-2005, 05:24 PM
mercury

With that lineup, I'd actually put Knuble at 2nd line RW, and move Radio over to 3rd LW, if he can make the switch. Radio would be an excellent replacement as the young skilled wing on the shutdown line, now that Gagne can and should be on the top line. We'd still need another top 4 defenseman if we sign a LW, though. I think a trade to address both needs might be a better move. We can get rid of some payroll at the same time.

Old
05-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Steve L*

I cant see Desjardins coming back next season, the Flyers are stacked at C but would probably want someone the same age or younger for Zues.

I can easily see him being moved to create room for the young centres coming through while filling another need a a seriously thin D. But if they want a vet D man, why not sign one of the dozens of UFAs that will flood the market in the new CBA and keep a very good trading chip?

Old
05-16-2005, 05:54 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
I cant see Desjardins coming back next season, the Flyers are stacked at C but would probably want someone the same age or younger for Zues.

I can easily see him being moved to create room for the young centres coming through while filling another need a a seriously thin D. But if they want a vet D man, why not sign one of the dozens of UFAs that will flood the market in the new CBA and keep a very good trading chip?

I'll be very surprised if Desjardins is NOT a Flyers next year.

Agreed on signing a UFA defenseman instead of moving Handzus, a valuable commodity.

Much greater chance that Handzus is moved following the 2005-06 season after Carter and Richards have a year of NHL experience under their belt.

Old
05-16-2005, 05:57 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I'll be very surprised if Desjardins is NOT a Flyers next year.
Hes a year older, a year slower and injuries arent helping him and neither is his salary, he need to be let go. This isnt 1999.

Old
05-16-2005, 06:03 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
Hes a year older, a year slower and injuries arent helping him and neither is his salary, he need to be let go. This isnt 1999.
I think you'll see him brought back at a reduced price, as his contract is up. He was our best defenseman last year until JR took him out. Also that was a freak injury, wouldn't have mattered if he was 21 or 41, just got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old
05-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
I think you'll see him brought back at a reduced price, as his contract is up. He was our best defenseman last year until JR took him out. Also that was a freak injury, wouldn't have mattered if he was 21 or 41, just got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.
That injury was a freak accident but breaking his arm while playing catch with his son??? Injuries aren't really a question anymore it's more of a matter of when, kinda like JR's next concussion.

Old
05-16-2005, 07:11 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
That injury was a freak accident but breaking his arm while playing catch with his son???
He came back too early from the first injury, that was the mistake. It wasn't a new injury.

Old
05-16-2005, 07:17 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Agreed on signing a UFA defenseman instead of moving Handzus, a valuable commodity.

Much greater chance that Handzus is moved following the 2005-06 season after Carter and Richards have a year of NHL experience under their belt.

WHy would they trade Handzus when Roenick is about to retire/leave the team.

I don't see the Flyers bringing Roenick back in the same role, if at all when his contract is up.

Old
05-16-2005, 07:23 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
WHy would they trade Handzus when Roenick is about to retire/leave the team.

I don't see the Flyers bringing Roenick back in the same role, if at all when his contract is up.
They could move Handzus to aquire a defenseman. Roenick's money will likely be used for a winger/defenseman.

Old
05-16-2005, 09:05 PM
mercury

I wouldn't be so quick to write Roenick off. I think he has a few good seasons left in the tank. I'd like to see him back at center at least some of the time, too.

Old
05-16-2005, 09:11 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
I wouldn't be so quick to write Roenick off. I think he has a few good seasons left in the tank. I'd like to see him back at center at least some of the time, too.
He will start next season on the wing.

Old
05-16-2005, 10:00 PM
mercury

I know, but I think it would be interesting to see him back at the pivot. Does Handzus become the #1, or do we throw Carter right into top line minutes? Replace Zhamnov with an FA? It's still very much up in the air, I think.

Old
05-17-2005, 12:12 AM
mercury

With the slight difference in age, and relative lack of 2-way centers with Handzus' offensive upside, I think Handzus for Smith+mid-round pick/decent prospect is perfect value in return. Rita, McDonald, Umicevic, Winchester, etc. Handzus and Smith's salaries are almost equal, as well. I think Jason Smith would fit Philly like a glove, and would really solidify our blueline. Great deal both ways.

Old
05-17-2005, 04:25 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk
Smith for Handzus stright up is about as fair as you're going to get
Agreed. I wouldn't give up any more than Smith for Handzus personally.

Old
05-17-2005, 12:01 PM
MojoJojo

Smith for Zeus seems fair to me. Similar players in terms of salary, age, and talent, both fill a need on the other team.

edit: whats up with this lovefest? This is the trade proposal board. Were supposed to rip each other to shreds, arent we?

Old
05-17-2005, 12:16 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Smith for Zeus seems fair to me. Similar players in terms of salary, age, and talent, both fill a need on the other team.

edit: whats up with this lovefest? This is the trade proposal board. Were supposed to rip each other to shreds, arent we?
Throw in the Leafs and make it a three way proposal, then your lovefest will be gone.

(Just kidding, don't do it)

Old
05-17-2005, 12:50 PM
salzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
The flyers need a hard nose crease clearing d-man and the oil need a top 6 center with size.

How does this look.

Jason Smith and Brad isbister for Handzus.

The flyers keep up the size movement in this deal and get a tougher. The oil get the Big center we need.

Both teams are dealing from positions of strength. The Flyers have carter and richards ready to go and the oil are deep at LW and D right now.
I'd do it, then cross my fingers that Zus doesn't REALLY break out in the next couple years like a lot of us think he can. I guess there's still a chance that Isbister can fulfill the boatloads of potential he was thought to have at one time, but time is quickly ticking away on that.

Closed Thread