HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team/Player Discussion)- Offseason FA and trade talk Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2013, 03:23 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

vCash: 500
2013 New Jersey Devils (Team/Player Discussion)- Offseason FA and trade talk Part IV

Continue with...whatever we're talking about.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:35 PM
MichaelJ

I'm not going to argue whether or not it's unrealistic, I'm just curious why you think so.

Too many names involved? Not enough value? If so, going which way?

I think the Devils are getting some veteran help and doing the Canucks a favor by taking on Luongo. The Canucks get young talent and cap room.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:51 PM
apice3*

too many high profile names going in one trade. Vancouver would get more if they deal each piece separately.

Id have no problem with luongo if he gets amnestied but i wouldnt take luongo for free on his current deal.

Old
05-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
I'm not going to argue whether or not it's unrealistic, I'm just curious why you think so.

I think the Devils are getting some veteran help and doing the Canucks a favor by taking on Luongo. The Canucks get young talent and cap room.
Not even close to fair value

Old
05-20-2013, 04:47 PM
AirheadPete
G-Dub

If clarky doesn't resign here I could see Detroit being a good fit for him. And in that case I have so much respect for that organization I wouldn't have any ill will towards the scenario

Old
05-20-2013, 04:54 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
If clarky doesn't resign here I could see Detroit being a good fit for him. And in that case I have so much respect for that organization I wouldn't have any ill will towards the scenario
Also helps that they are not in our Division/Conference although with the new alignment, I'm not so sure anymore.

Old
05-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post

Just take a simpler route, no need to involve so many players and for us to trade a lot of our prospects, picks and future when we really need to get younger. Also Vancouver wouldn't trade 3 established NHL veterans players in just one trade, 2 at maximum + future looks more realistic IMO.

Luongo seems like the main piece of your proposal, why don't start with him ?

Old
05-20-2013, 05:43 PM
billingtons ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
Just take a simpler route, no need to involve so many players and for us to trade a lot of our prospects, picks and future when we really need to get younger. Also Vancouver wouldn't trade 3 established NHL veterans players in just one trade, 2 at maximum + future looks more realistic IMO.

Luongo seems like the main piece of your proposal, why don't start with him ?

That's good advice... I think I shut off when I saw Kesler included, because it's tough to make blockbusters like that these days...

Old
05-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
They are to smart in Detroit to overpay him to get him though. If there are only reasonable offers on the market Clarkson will just come back. It will take someone paying stupid money to make him leave. Wings don't do stupid things like that. Leafs on the other hand...

Old
05-20-2013, 06:11 PM
MichaelJ

Actually Kesler and Hamhuis were the two I was really after, I just thought it would make sense to add Luongo if the Devils really have interest in him.

Getting younger is relative. NJD need players younger than Elias, Salvador, Marty, etc. buy do they need a roster full of 22 year olds? Hamhuis is 30 and Kesler is 28. I thought Vancouver's troubled would be a good situation to exploit.

I guess I just don't have faith that the younger forwards in the organization are going to amount to much and even if they do it'll be years. There is no talent to bridge from old to new, at least not enough. I'd like to see Lou add two players capable of playing top 6 and at least one top defender. There are a lot of prospects but the team can't expect to field all rookies and compete. My thought was to add Hamhuis now, add another vet next year, and round out that group with Larsson, Merrill, Severson, and Scarlett or Burlon...it would be a good mix of experience, youth, talent and upside.

Old
05-20-2013, 06:39 PM
hlaverty06

Still want Clutterbuck

Old
05-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
The Devils' largest areas of need on offense: creativity and scoring acumen.

The Devils' areas of surplus on offense: forechecking, strong two way play, physicality

Why would you put your focus on Cal Clutterbuck?

I think one of Havlat or Hemsky will be on the roster next year. Makes too much sense. Both are highly skilled guys who could be had for below market value.

Old
05-20-2013, 06:50 PM
HeliDevil
Legend

Havlat or Hemsky on this team would be awesome. Only problem would be staying healthy.

Old
05-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

I wouldn't mind either of them. I've always thought Havlat would do well here since him and Elias are BFF's. I'd still kick the tires on a few of the UFA's first. That's assuming Vanderbeek actually has some cash in his wallet this time around.

Old
05-20-2013, 06:54 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
The Devils' largest areas of need on offense: creativity and scoring acumen.

The Devils' areas of surplus on offense: forechecking, strong two way play, physicality

Why would you put your focus on Cal Clutterbuck?

I think one of Havlat or Hemsky will be on the roster next year. Makes too much sense. Both are highly skilled guys who could be had for below market value.
Because if one of Zubrus/Clarkson doesn't come back we have to fill out the 3rd line and we lack someone who throws huge checks and plays competent hockey.

Hemsky and Havlat can be added too but we get pushed around a lot by teams. Clarkson hardly fights anymore, Salvador is done fighting, and Janssen in the lineup is a liability. Those Shaw, Rinaldo, etc. type players are players this team really lacks in our bottom 6.

Old
05-20-2013, 06:57 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
try and get tikhinov

Old
05-20-2013, 06:58 PM
hlaverty06

OKay so here's a question

If we acquire either Havlat or Hemsky.....do they play second line with Elias-Zajac-Hemsky/Havlat

OR

Do they play RW on the top line, Move Kovy back to the left, and go Kovy-Loktionov-Hemsky/Havlat and move Henrique to 3rd line C

-------------------------------------------------------------

If the latter occurs Josefson has no place on this team.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:00 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post

If we acquire either Havlat or Hemsky.....do they play second line with Elias-Zajac-Hemsky/Havlat

OR

Do they play RW on the top line, Move Kovy back to the left, and go Kovy-Loktionov-Hemsky/Havlat and move Henrique to 3rd line C

Josefson played wing a few times last year on the revolving 1st line LW spot.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Because if one of Zubrus/Clarkson doesn't come back we have to fill out the 3rd line and we lack someone who throws huge checks and plays competent hockey.

Hemsky and Havlat can be added too but we get pushed around a lot by teams. Clarkson hardly fights anymore, Salvador is done fighting, and Janssen in the lineup is a liability. Those Shaw, Rinaldo, etc. type players are players this team really lacks in our bottom 6.
Why do we need fighters? We have absolutely no need for a Zach Rinaldo type on this team.

I much prefer a bottom six of guys like Bernier and Carter - players who can actually take shifts against other team's better players and produce offensively, while still maintaining a physical edge.

Throwing huge checks and fighting are probably two most overrated qualities of toughness in fighting. The toughness that actually matters is the type displayed by players like Ryan Carter.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:01 PM
billingtons ghost

Quote:

OR

Havlat is terribly brittle. He's out again tonight, after coming back from a 5 game absence for one game. I can't imagine he ever plays more than 60 games in a full season in the NHL again.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

60 games of Havlat or Hemsky would still be a big improvement for this team.

Adding one of them should probably be supplemented with another addition as well though.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:11 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Why do we need fighters? We have absolutely no need for a Zach Rinaldo type on this team.

I much prefer a bottom six of guys like Bernier and Carter - players who can actually take shifts against other team's better players and produce offensively, while still maintaining a physical edge.

Throwing huge checks and fighting are probably two most overrated qualities of toughness in fighting. The toughness that actually matters is the type displayed by players like Ryan Carter.
Rinaldo isn't a fighter though, he's an agitator. Steve Ott is another one who is a player who would be great for us. It's not really overrated its a part of hockey that this team lacks. And Andrew Shaw and Steve Ott are competent hockey players who would slot in nicely on the 3rd line, Rinaldo would take Gionta's spot so I dont want him, I was using his style of play as an examlpe.

Maybe matteau will be that guy.

Also, lets trade Volchenkov for Emelin

Old
05-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
I absolutely do not want those scums Rinaldo or Ott anywhere near this team. **** that.

we have a perfect 4th line right now. we don't need to tweak it.

as for Lokti, he cannot be penciled as the top line center unless he starts working on his faceoffs. you can't be sub 40% and play on the top line consistently.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

I don't think a lot of people realize that had we played a full season Carter, Bernier, and Gio were each on pace for 25-30 point seasons

Old
05-20-2013, 08:05 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
I absolutely do not want those scums Rinaldo or Ott anywhere near this team. **** that.

we have a perfect 4th line right now. we don't need to tweak it.

as for Lokti, he cannot be penciled as the top line center unless he starts working on his faceoffs. you can't be sub 40% and play on the top line consistently.
Zajac has about 0 offensive creativity. He has a dynamite shot but thats about it. If you can get a play making winger ala Hemsky to get on this team then we can talk Zajac playing with Kovy.

Loktionov is playing with Kovalchuk. Whatever line it may be that is where Loktionov is.

I'm sorry but if Zajac doesn't play well this year I think his contract is Horcoff-eque

Great shot, faceoff ability, and great on D but he lacks the creativity to play the top line with Kovalchuk. So does Henrique though which is why Loktionov is good where he is.

And I would take a guy like Shaw, Ott, Neil on this team everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's.

Closed Thread