HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team/Player Discussion)- Offseason FA and trade talk Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2013, 11:29 PM
Emperoreddy
End is Near

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I never trusted Zach. Seemed like a real phoney to me, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt at the end. Rather than spew a bunch of negativity around here. Seemed like a real big shot that would go where the money was. He took a slight discount to Minnesota over Philly to make room for his boy Ryan. I felt the same way about Paul Martin too. He thought he was too good for the Devils.

I also had vibes Zajac did not wanna stay either. I was wrong on that though.
He wouldn't take the bigger discount to go to the Wings though with Ryan. Imagine them right now if he took the paycut and they got both of them.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:38 PM
Bleedred
Boedker sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
He wouldn't take the bigger discount to go to the Wings though with Ryan. Imagine them right now if he took the paycut and they got both of them.
I'm not exactly sure what happened with the Wings, but I thought they just wanted Ryan for insane money, but weren't interested in Zach really?

I thought the whole time he was gonna go to the Wings, and the ''Suter Parise package deal'' rumors that started halfway through last season were true. Even they had the Wings down as their destination. I guess myself, and others thought that Zach actually was really interested in winning. The wiLOLd might have missed the playoffs in an 82 game season. They won 4 of their last 15 games including playoffs.

A couple horrible losses in there to BAD teams like a last week of the season loss at home to Calgary, and a blowout at the hands of the Oilers with the ghost of Khabibulin in net. At home also no less.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:41 PM
Emperoreddy
End is Near

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what happened with the Wings, but I thought they just wanted Ryan for insane money, but weren't interested in Zach really?

I thought the whole time he was gonna go to the Wings, and the ''Suter Parise package deal'' rumors that started halfway through last season were true. Even they had the Wings down as their destination. I guess myself, and others thought that Zach actually was really interested in winning. The wiLOLd might have missed the playoffs in an 82 game season. They won 4 of their last 15 games including playoffs.
I recall reading that the Wings matched the Wild's offer for Ryan, but offered Zach WAY less and that is why they passed it up. I could be wrong, but I recall reading that.

They definitely wanted Suter more, and felt he was worth more and Zach wasn't worth what the Wild offered (he isn't, it sucks he left, but that is a rough contract either way).

Anyway if his recovery is going well I'd still like Weiss on this team.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:53 PM
Bleedred
Boedker sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
I recall reading that the Wings matched the Wild's offer for Ryan, but offered Zach WAY less and that is why they passed it up. I could be wrong, but I recall reading that.

They definitely wanted Suter more, and felt he was worth more and Zach wasn't worth what the Wild offered (he isn't, it sucks he left, but that is a rough contract either way).

Anyway if his recovery is going well I'd still like Weiss on this team.
Yeah I knew they wanted Suter more on the Wings. They even flew to his farm on their jet to pick him up too on July 1st. Or at least that's what was reported. They were courting him for awhile.

Still can't believe he signed with that perennial loser. Horrendous losses at home in the last week of the season against Calgary and Edmonton. A combined 2 goals against the rotting corpse of Kiprusoft (Love Kipper, but I think he's just about done) and the crumbling bulin wall while yielding a combined 10 goals in those two games. Yeah they would have won the division in 82 alright!

I wouldn't mind Weiss, but I think we might get some stop gap. A guy coming off a buyout that might only require a year long contract. Havlat could be good for a cheap cap hit, and on a one year.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:21 AM
Devil X
Devils Select ....?

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Quote:

A couple horrible losses in there to BAD teams like a last week of the season loss at home to Calgary, and a blowout at the hands of the Oilers with the ghost of Khabibulin in net. At home also no less.
I might be wrong but i am pretty sure if Suter had picked the Wings Parise was going to sign back here or somewhere else not go to the Wild and the only way Parise would go is if Suter went also. I recall reading something to that affect but i dont remember where and i dont care to try and find it. I dont believe Parise wanted to go to the Wings just like Suter didnt want to come to NJ. Not that Lou would have had the cash to sign both Suter and Parise (he wouldnt).

Old
05-21-2013, 05:49 AM
hlaverty06

There's no reason to buyout Barch, like I don't get it with Boulton....If we decide we don't want him just waive him part way through the year..he takes up 750K for a team that isn't operating near cap ceiling

Old
05-21-2013, 05:55 AM
SpeakingOfTheDevils
Devils Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDevilsfan26 View Post
Why would we just give away D'Agostini after we just traded for him a few months ago? Hes one of the only players on this roster who has very good speed and is the perfect 3rd liner who can play top 6 minutes if someone gets hurt. I actually liked what I saw from him after the trade. Yea, he didn't score much but NOBODY on the team did either. Hes someone I'd definitely keep around and see what he can over an 82 game season. Also, I'd be very reluctant to give Stalberg a hefty contract after what I've seen from him lately. This little tour de force hes had over the last week has turned me off. Hes not a top 6 player either. Toronto tried him there and he was a bust.
If everything else falls into place, there would be no room for him. And I don't think Lou is trying to pay $1.6+M for a guy just to be an extra.

If Clarkson leaves, then that third line could just as easily be Stalberg--Zubrus--D'Ags, which is still rock solid. But if Clarkson stays, that #3RW spot will be filled.

And, the idea with Stalberg is that he won't be a top 6 forward. Rather, a top-notch complement to our top 6. I can see your point about being reluctant to throw money at him, because the 3rd line I threw together would probably cost at least $10.25M... Yikes. But it would easily be a top-5 3rd line in the league, and it would give us insane depth.

Old
05-21-2013, 07:51 AM
Bologna 1

Yeah I definitely say keep barch around. Isnt a completely incompetent player and its always good.to have a fighter as an option IMO, just not multiple goon type guys

Old
05-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

I hate the idea of buying out any player in the last year of their deals.

Old
05-21-2013, 07:59 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
I'm sorry but watching players like Poni, Clarkson, Zajac, etc. who played with 0 heart towards the middle and end of the year made me think that there are a lot of things left unsaid. I hate Salvador as a captain
I think im somewhere down the middle on our 3rd/4th line toughness. honestly, I don’t think we need ‘goons’ at all. we need something that I’ve never seen any devils player do consistently, ever. bowl over goalies. get in the goalies face. make their life a living hell. it seems, more and more, this is how goals are scored and games are won. will we take penalties? sure. will the other team take retaliatory penalties? you bet. I don’t think its that we NEED goons, we just need a ‘goonier’ mentality if we’re going w PDB’s grinding system.

Old
05-21-2013, 08:09 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
I hate the idea of buying out any player in the last year of their deals.
I agree but if we don't have the ability to buy out Volch then we aren't using the buyouts properly.

i.e. buy out volchenkov

Old
05-21-2013, 08:18 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

The only reason I can see us not buying out Volchenkov is that we just can't afford to pay someone who isn't "contributing" on the ice.

We are talking about handing someone a big fat check just to tell him to GTFO and I'm 100% certain that Lou's ego is wayyyyy too big for him to do such a thing. The best possible outcome would be for us to buyout Volch, move Tallinder who only has a year left on his deal for a pick and futures, ink Zidlicky to a 2 year deal and let one of our NHL ready prospects earn a spot.

IMO, at the end of the day, buying out Volchenkov is a business decision more so then a hockey decision.

Old
05-21-2013, 08:45 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Why are people so enamored with Viktor Stalberg? He has size and speed, but when has that translated to success for him?

Old
05-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
I think im somewhere down the middle on our 3rd/4th line toughness. honestly, I don’t think we need ‘goons’ at all. we need something that I’ve never seen any devils player do consistently, ever. bowl over goalies. get in the goalies face. make their life a living hell. it seems, more and more, this is how goals are scored and games are won. will we take penalties? sure. will the other team take retaliatory penalties? you bet. I don’t think its that we NEED goons, we just need a ‘goonier’ mentality if we’re going w PDB’s grinding system.
We need to bowl over goalies?

Sorry, but that's a terrible suggestion. Let's stick with getting more skilled.

Old
05-21-2013, 08:47 AM
CerebralGenesis

put the fear of god into them.

It's like waterboarding, without the water but with plexiglass

Old
05-21-2013, 09:15 AM
njdevil26
I hate avocados

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Why are people so enamored with Viktor Stalberg? He has size and speed, but when has that translated to success for him?
2011-12 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 79 22 21 43 (Looks pretty good to me)

2012-13 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 47 9 14 23 (would have been 4th on the team in points)

Old
05-21-2013, 09:19 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
We need to bowl over goalies?

Sorry, but that's a terrible suggestion. Let's stick with getting more skilled.
i know its not quantifiable, but yes. or we could continue getting perimeter shots and getting shut down by lundqvist

Old
05-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Tundra

Quote:
It's the enticing risk/reward of a 27 year old player with top 6 ability. If you look at the potential free agent options he is the most intriguing player by far, in that in the right situation he could be a gem. He doesn't have concussion problems like Nathan Horton. He's not going to cost 4 million plus like Micheal Ryder. He's not injury prone like Martin Havlat. He's coming into his prime, hungry for an expanded role with some rare skills.

Old
05-21-2013, 09:57 AM
CerebralGenesis

He is definitely not going to be cheap.

And I dunno if he can translate into a consistent top 6 guy for us either. It's a bigger gamble than a lot of people think.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:03 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
i know its not quantifiable, but yes. or we could continue getting perimeter shots and getting shut down by lundqvist
last I checked we beat that turd when it mattered most.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:08 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
last I checked we beat that turd when it mattered most.
you should check again. more recently, we went 1-3 against them this year. it would've mattered quite a bit this year

Old
05-21-2013, 10:21 AM
CerebralGenesis

i blame moose

Old
05-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
you should check again. more recently, we went 1-3 against them this year. it would've mattered quite a bit this year
so regular season games mean more than the Eastern Conference Finals?

Old
05-21-2013, 10:52 AM
The Green Unit
Lost Cosmonaut

Stalberg is not the answer to our top 6 problem.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:56 AM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
Quote:
so regular season games mean more than the Eastern Conference Finals?
Unless Parise's walking back through that door two years ago has no relevance on the 'current' team that needs scoring in the worst way.

Closed Thread