HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Rumor: Mikael Samuelsson to sign with Toronto once...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-18-2005, 09:15 AM
  #51
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Did you see the IMG to take NHL to court post at McKeens?

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=416&mid=52890557&sid=&tid=52890557 &style=1

Maybe no one will be under contract.
Read that yesterday as well, it was right in your home town paper, so I guess you got to read it first hand.

But every time I post that here on the Leafs board .. It fills up with a variety of guests from all teams telling me I to "Get a Clue" .. The new CBA will take care of all that with all these magical special clauses.

But when I hear special clauses, I immediately think Santa Clause and still can't help but look at the calendar and see its May 18th and June 1st is just around the corner ..

Mess is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 09:18 AM
  #52
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Times change people change ..

For years Frankie was yelling PLAYOFFS PLAYOFFS PLAYOFFS and screw development just give me the PLAYOFFS..
i make no apologies for wanting my team to get to the playoffs and win it all. if you don't understand that, then you're not a sports fan.

times have changed. they're not my team anymore, so like the rest of you, i really don't care how they do except for the 2 or 3 potential future leafs.

Quote:
..and now after seeing how little that ended up effecting anything and how little the vets produced particularly Ling now we have multiple bring in Sammy to replace him posts.
what do you mean it didn't effect anything? please explain that. you expect to see the benefits of having a good playoff bound ahl team already? even if there was an nhl right now, that would be impossible.

you don't think the prospects benefitted from having a good season and getting to the playoffs? they would have benefited even more if they had gone anywhere in the playoffs.

i'm not saying they should replace ling. any ahl team would be lucky to have him. but they need to replace him because he has decided to move on and isn't going back to the leafs.

i don't know why ling gets all the criticism all of a sudden. nobody says anything about wellwood completely disappearing.

Frankie is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 09:19 AM
  #53
Dar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 4,813
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Read that yesterday as well, it was right in your home town paper, so I guess you got to read it first hand.

But every time I post that here on the Leafs board .. It fills up with a variety of guests from all teams telling me I to "Get a Clue" .. The new CBA will take care of all that with all these magical special clauses.

But when I hear special clauses, I immediately think Santa Clause and still can't help but look at the calendar and see its May 18th and June 1st is just around the corner ..
Of course, as we all know, any court decision in favour of Weil, Gotshal & Manges will be rendered meaningless when a new CBA is implemented.

Right?

Dar is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 09:32 AM
  #54
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Of course, as we all know, any court decision in favour of Weil, Gotshal & Manges will be rendered meaningless when a new CBA is implemented.

Right?
Right you are Dar !!!!!!!

Here is the Section from the Article .. With Commentary from Spector's Soap Box for those who missed it .. It on his site under archives

Its based on an article by the well respected Bruce Dowbiggin of the Calgary Herald..

Quote:

UH-OOOH!

Read the following yesterday in the Calgary Herald, courtesy of the insightful Bruce Dowbiggin:

Unless the league and the NHL Players' Association get a miracle settlement before June 1, all unsigned 2003 picks such as (Jeff)Carter/ (Mike)Richards and 2004 draftees without a bona fide offer could
find themselves free agents by summer. The same will happen a month later for a cavalcade of established stars, unless teams make qualifying offers to players under contract.


OK, nothing odd about this, yet another speculative article about RFAs and unsigned draft picks becoming unrestricted free agents. I've covered that possibility, as have other pundits and bloggers. Perhaps the best take on this was TSN's Bob McKenzie when he wrote:

The truth is the fate of all these players, from Crosby to Carter to Richards to any of the restricted free agents to any player who had a contract this season, will be determined as part of the CBA negotiations. For lack of a better term, it's called transition. It will be a significant element of the negotiations above and beyond the NHL and Players' Association agreeing on a new economic system.

McKenzie further explained:

For argument's sake, let's declare the Philadelphia Flyers' unsigned draftee duo of Carter and Richards as unrestricted free agents. They can sign with any team in any league in the world.

Well, maybe not. The NHL is in the midst of a lockout. Individual NHL clubs are not permitted to conduct business as usual. NHL teams cannot sign players right now. If they did, they can't register the contract with the league. Could a renegade team break ranks and sign Carter or Richards, mount a legal challenge against the NHL?

It's possible, I suppose, but if that happens, we've got a much bigger story than the fate of Carter and Richards. A renegade act of that magnitude during the lockout might well spell the end of the lockout. I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Made sense to me. Even if Richards, Carter, other unsigned draft picks or NHL restricted free agents win the right to shop themselves as UFAs, no NHL clubs could sign them until a new CBA is in place.

Most importantly, no NHL team will "break ranks" to sign them and put the league into a position of weakness. No NHL owner will risk becoming a pariah amongst his fellow owners at this state of the game.

But Dowbiggin, who's been covering the NHL labour follies for years for the Herald and CBC television, as well as published two important books on the subject, reports of an interesting twist:

(I)f the powerful International Management Group has its way, that free agency would not be affected by any CBA reached at a later date, leaving their clients free to sign where they wish whenever the NHL rises from the dead.

For Calgary's management, so loyal to (NHL Commissioner Gary) Bettman's strategy, that result could well mean ta-ta to Jarome Iginla, Miikka Kiprusoff and Kris Chucko, its 2004 first-round pick. In short, the league would be turned upside down.

That's certainly the implied threat that is being delivered to the league
this week by IMG -- which represents (among others) super prospects Sidney Crosby and Gilbert Brule, as well as NHL stars Joe Thornton, Mats Sundin, Robyn Regehr, Sergei Fedorov and the Sedin twins. IMG is in the process of sending a letter to the NHL, reserving its rights to have a number of its clients declared unrestricted free agents no later than July 1 of this year.


"Due to the current labour situation and the actions of the NHL," writes
Terrence Prince of IMG, "it is not 'business as usual' and, accordingly, it
is inappropriate for the parties to act as if it is 'business as usual.' "


The NHL's bind has to do with its obligations under the previous CBA for
signing or re-signing players.


According to IMG, "all unsigned players who were drafted in 2003 and 2004 will be free of all current NHL team restraints unless they are either signed by June 1, 2005 (in the case of the 2003-drafted players) or receive a bona fide offer by June 1, 2005 (in the case of the 2004-drafted players)."

Group 2 players such as Iginla, Thornton, Rick Nash, Dany Heatley and Ilya Kovalchuk must receive a qualifying offer by June 30 to see their rights retained by current clubs. But Bettman has forbidden teams to negotiate with any locked-out players. There will be no contracts or qualifying offers; IMG will argue that makes them free agents without restraint.

IMG is indeed a very powerful agency representing some very important NHL and prospective NHL players. When they speak about the status of their clients, other hockey people, including other player agents, sit up and take note.

So what, you ask? IMG can rattle the cage all they want, but that still doesn't matter since no NHL team can sign their players even if they manage to legally win for those RFA and unsigned prospect clients the right to declare UFA status.

After all, and Dowbiggin points this out, the NHL has already stated that the status of those players would be "grandfathered" into the next CBA to prevent teams from poaching off each other.

But as Dowbiggin notes:

It is less clear, however, how the league will stop any legal findings in the absence of a new collective agreement. What's to stop Thornton from signing with an American Hockey League team as a free agent in the absence of a new CBA, then choosing his favourite NHL club later when play resumes?

Again, critics will claim that the new CBA will determine that.

But not if those players have been legally declared unrestricted free agents prior to the signing of the next CBA.

To underscore the seriousness of its position on free agents and unsigned draftees, IMG has retained the services of high-priced labour expert, lawyer Jim Quinn of Weil, Gotshal & Manges in New York. While the NHL could challenge the authority of agents on this issue, it knows Quinn is a power-play expert on sports labour issues. (Oh good, more lawyers.)

"The NHL is taking the position that our players' contract years expire, but clubs can keep their rights over players indefinitely," says IMG's
Calgary-based J.P. Barry. "The NHL cancels the draft, but still decides to
have a combine for undrafted amateurs. These are patently inconsistent
positions, so we decided to retain a specialist in this area to provide us
with some deeper specialized analysis.''


And there's that interesting twist I noted earlier.

If IMG mounts a successful legal challange against the NHL on this, and wins the right for current RFA players and unsigned prospects to become unrestricted free agents before a new CBA is implemented, there probably won't be anything the league could do to prevent this from happening.

The league wouldn't be able to legally "grandfather" those players rights back to their former clubs under a new CBA. You can beat NHLPA director Bob Goodenow won't be stumping to have that clause included.

After all, he successfully fought for unrestricted free agency for his players in the 1994-95 lockout. That has become a sacred cow to the players.

It won't bother Goodenow or his constituents if IMG wins the right for their clients to become UFAs prior to the signing of the new CBA, and should they become successful, it'll mean RFA players and unsigned prospects of other player agents/agencies could also win the right to be declared UFAs.

It would be then up to those players to decide if they want to re-sign with their former clubs or test the UFA waters for a better deal.

As Dowbiggin noted in his column, this would have the potential to turn the NHL upside-down.

Imagine the horror for the Philadelphia Flyers if Richards and Carter are allowed to skate away with no deal and then end up signing elsewhere.

Worse, imagine the jolt to the Bruins if Joe Thornton, their franchise players who is in the prime of his career, was lost as an unrestricted free agent.

How about the nightmare scenario for the Atlanta Thrashers in losing one or possibly both of their young franchise players, Kovalchuk and Heatley.

Or the kick to the gut of Flames fans to see 2004 playoff heroes Iginla, Kiprusoff and Regehr vanish only to reappear playing somewhere else.

Now of course, that's assuming IMG can legally win UFA status for their players. If not, then nothing changes, fans in those aforementioned cities breathe easier, and everything stays pretty much the same.

Yes, it's speculation, and could perhaps have little or no bearing on the current labor talks.

But then, why would IMG take this route if there was little or nothing to gain?

Let's face if, if IMG does seek legal recourse in this matter, it'll provide the NHLPA with a key bit of leverage to use against the league in negotiations.

If IMG's challenge becomes reality, if there's a possibility RFAs and unsigned prospects could be cut loose before a CBA is in place, it would result, once a new CBA is in place, in a free agent signing frenzy the like of which we've never seen.

Such a feeding frenzy would sorely test the limits of the new CBA, particularly the supposedly "hard cap". If there were a loophole to be exploited, you know a general manager or a player agent would find it, and then, whoooo-doggie, the floodgates open.

Just how much "restraint" do you think big market clubs would have, knowing that UFAs in their prime like Thornton, Iginla and Kovalchuk were on the open market? Or promising young prospects like Carter and Richards?

Still, this could be little more than an empty threat by IMG, merely a pressure tactic to be used by the PA against the league and the team owners. It's uncertain how quickly the wheels would turn for the player agency in their pursuit of this objectivity, indeed, it could take months, by which time, a new CBA could be in place and this becomes a moot point.

Bettman and the team owners had better hope this is nothing but an empty threat by IMG, because if it isn't...Uh-oooh!

For the Full Story check it out at :"

MAY 2005 SOAPBOX ARCHIVES
http://www.spectorshockey.net/

Mess is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 09:39 AM
  #55
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
i make no apologies for wanting my team to get to the playoffs and win it all. if you don't understand that, then you're not a sports fan.

times have changed. they're not my team anymore, so like the rest of you, i really don't care how they do except for the 2 or 3 potential future leafs.
See I think you're getting it now .. The only difference is that the NHL team should be the focus

I am only interested in bumping that 2 or 3 up to a higher number as a result .. and my odds increase when I take Ling, Druken, Leeb, MacDonald, Kelly, Aubin out of the equation and give their ice time to Mitchell, Sagat, Murphy, Fulgham, Crosby and Racine ..

Mess is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 10:23 AM
  #56
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
See I think you're getting it now .. The only difference is that the NHL team should be the focus

I am only interested in bumping that 2 or 3 up to a higher number as a result .. and my odds increase when I take Ling, Druken, Leeb, MacDonald, Kelly, Aubin out of the equation and give their ice time to Mitchell, Sagat, Murphy, Fulgham, Crosby and Racine ..
Ahem ... do you have an AHL team in your city?

I think the three of us (Frankie/ULF_55/Messenger) are speaking out of turn.

I can only speak junior and NHL with any knowledge, you and Frankie are resigned to junior.

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 10:25 AM
  #57
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
See I think you're getting it now .. The only difference is that the NHL team should be the focus
why shouldn't the farm team have fans too? what's wrong with cheering for the farm team but not the parent team? there's are lots of ahl fans who don't care anything about the parent team. nothing wrong with that.

every farm team should have its own fans. unfortunately the leafs have stripped that away from their prospects by moving the team to toronto.

are you going to answer the question about how this ahl season has ended up effecting the prospects very little? did none of them develop at all? have you written them all off?

Frankie is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 10:27 AM
  #58
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Ahem ... do you have an AHL team in your city?

I think the three of us (Frankie/ULF_55/Messenger) are speaking out of turn.

I can only speak junior and NHL with any knowledge, you and Frankie are resigned to junior.
hilarious. you really should take that stand up act on the road.

do you have anything constructive? no, you just hide your lack of knowledge with sarcasms and innuendos.

Frankie is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 10:50 AM
  #59
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Right you are Dar !!!!!!!

Here is the Section from the Article .. With Commentary from Spector's Soap Box for those who missed it .. It on his site under archives

Its based on an article by the well respected Bruce Dowbiggin of the Calgary Herald..
A couple of things:

1) It would only affect unsigned CHL draft picks, and not all draft picks, if it did happen.

2) IMG would need to sue both the NHL and the NHLPA because they will both be part of any CBA that allows teams to maintain their rights to those 2003 and 2004 prospects. Player would be suing their own PA and agents would be suing the PA and league that certifies them.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 10:53 AM
  #60
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
hilarious. you really should take that stand up act on the road.

do you have anything constructive? no, you just hide your lack of knowledge with sarcasms and innuendos.
And you hide behind arguments with no weight.

Go find the stat and tell us how many prospects actually make the NHL.

Tell us this one, that one and the other one won't make it.

In light of such predictions, I'll go out on the same limb as you ... someone in Canada will win a lottery, there will be deaths and births tomorrow, and another prospect will be flushed.

Aren't I brilliant with my predictions?

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 11:10 AM
  #61
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
And you hide behind arguments with no weight.

Go find the stat and tell us how many prospects actually make the NHL.

Tell us this one, that one and the other one won't make it.
at least i'm not afraid to have an opinion and an argument. and they all do have weight.

i shouldn't tell the truth? its better to bury my head in the sand, like everyone else here does, and say they will all make it because they were drafted by the leafs?

its not my fault the numbers are on my side.

Frankie is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 11:12 AM
  #62
Dar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 4,813
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
A couple of things:

1) It would only affect unsigned CHL draft picks, and not all draft picks, if it did happen.

2) IMG would need to sue both the NHL and the NHLPA because they will both be part of any CBA that allows teams to maintain their rights to those 2003 and 2004 prospects. Player would be suing their own PA and agents would be suing the PA and league that certifies them.
They're not really suing anybody, they'll be seeking the court to determine their status as FA's.

Once that's been determined and if the CBA should contradict such an ruling, it is then that a suit would be brought against the party who attempts to block the order. Of course that would be the NHL, I doubt the PA would get involved other than to side with its constituents.

Dar is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 11:18 AM
  #63
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Ahem ... do you have an AHL team in your city?

I think the three of us (Frankie/ULF_55/Messenger) are speaking out of turn.

I can only speak junior and NHL with any knowledge, you and Frankie are resigned to junior.
You're right of course ..

I always forget that rule, who made that nonsense up anyways, that you have to be able to go to the arena in your city or your opinion doesn't count??

However in all fairness Mitchell, Sagat, Crosby, Carter are juniors .. So I can provide Expert advice @CHL certified in this area NO ??

Is it really fair to lump me and Frankie together?? .. After all I have been following junior hockey for 20 years already, and he is still a newbie just about to get a team, ALSO I have that cat to swing here still don't forget ..

Mess is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 11:24 AM
  #64
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
You're right of course ..

I always forget that rule, who made that nonsense up anyways, that you have to be able to go to the arena in your city or your opinion doesn't count??

However in all fairness Mitchell, Sagat, Crosby, Carter are juniors .. So I can provide Expert advice @CHL certified in this area NO ??

Is it really fair to lump me and Frankie together?? .. After all I have been following junior hockey for 20 years already, and he is still a newbie just about to get a team.
you guys should go on the road together with that routine. quite a tag team you've got going.

of course, it makes no sense that following a league and going to 40 games a year for 14 years, and having all the local newspapers covering the team for 14 years, and talking to people who work for the team, and even some coaches and players over 14 years would have no impact on your knowledge for the team and the league. nope, that makes no sense at all.

you're gonna duck the question?

Frankie is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 11:37 AM
  #65
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
A couple of things:

1) It would only affect unsigned CHL draft picks, and not all draft picks, if it did happen.

2) IMG would need to sue both the NHL and the NHLPA because they will both be part of any CBA that allows teams to maintain their rights to those 2003 and 2004 prospects. Player would be suing their own PA and agents would be suing the PA and league that certifies them.
Doesn't this depend on timing ??

If the unsigned draft picks challenge the NHL, their issue is with the CBA not their union .. I could somewhat agree if they did this after a new CBA is in place .. However I really can't see the NHLPA fighting too hard against their wishes, the are all members of the same PA country club after all.

Right now the case is simple ..

June 2, 2005 on the calendar and I have no NHL contract to enter into evidence Judge, and as a result your Honour I would like to be OFFICIALLY declared a UFA in light of this. The CBA I was drafted under is expired, and inside it, the date driven clause to my NHL rights has passed. Clearly your Honour these bozos in charge are not going to get this thing resolved any time soon and I would like to be able to earn a living in the meantime. I spoke to Bobby G and he said "more power to you kid, good luck with that, and tell the judge that T-off time at Glen Abbey is still 10 am and don't be late "


Last edited by Mess: 05-18-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Mess is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 11:39 AM
  #66
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
They're not really suing anybody, they'll be seeking the court to determine their status as FA's.

Once that's been determined and if the CBA should contradict such an ruling, it is then that a suit would be brought against the party who attempts to block the order. Of course that would be the NHL, I doubt the PA would get involved other than to side with its constituents.
The PA could do that as part of the CBA negotiations, if they thought that it is in their favour to do so.

If the NHLPA agrees with the NHL that the CBA will dictate players' rights holders then I would assume that they would have to fight the agents together with them.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 12:21 PM
  #67
Dar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 4,813
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
The PA could do that as part of the CBA negotiations, if they thought that it is in their favour to do so.

If the NHLPA agrees with the NHL that the CBA will dictate players' rights holders then I would assume that they would have to fight the agents together with them.
Much like the PA fought the agents when they discovered the loophole that would send entry level contracts spiralling out of control? The PA signed the previous CBA to curb those contracts but took a back seat in the fight when it meant more money for their members.

Dar is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 12:40 PM
  #68
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
you're gonna duck the question?

Well ..

I can read the SJ Telegram online at :http://www.thetelegram.com

SJ has its own AHL website dedicated to the team at: http://www.sjmapleleafs.ca
Brian Rogers and Brendan McCarthy have the majority of their articles located there to read throughout the year. It includes the entire history of the team for research purposes and links to all recent articles.

The Websites : www.TMLfans.ca & www.Mapleleafs.com employs Chris Parsley who writes the official Rock Report and other SJ related articles, and the websites are loaded with information on the players in SJ Johns .. Many fans and reporters living right in St. Johns and attending the exact same games you are. Reporting on the status, progress and game results .. Gerald Grosse aka sjmapleleafsfan if you prefer does and brilliant job of pre and post Game day threads for the Baby Leafs.

Many Leaf Articles about the baby leafs appear throughout the year in the Toronto newspapers and the Hockey News, and lots of websites dedicated to the players like McKeens and HF and others.

ALL the SJ games are broadcast on Radio Newfoundland with Brian Rogers doing the play by play .. and I listened to all 85 games this season .. The period intermissions are filled with player interviews and round table discussions and even comments from Shedden, Quinn, Fergy ,and the other trainers, scouts and assistants throughout the year ..

The majority of the players in St. Johns are Western Hockey leaguers right now and I got to follow the Jeremy Williams, Ian White, Benny Ondrus, Matt Hubbauer, Nathan Barrett, Clarke Wilm etc .. well before you even knew who they were..

This season the Baby Leafs were on TV a dozen times and if you get Leafs TV then you can watch nearly all the games on Tape delay at a future date ..

We use the Leafs board here at HF to share idea's and opinions in the GDT on the players in SJ.

You would be surprised now a days with Radio, TV, the internet and other sources the information you can get almost like being their live I would guess.

Any other questions you think I am afraid to duck ??.

Mess is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 12:54 PM
  #69
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Much like the PA fought the agents when they discovered the loophole that would send entry level contracts spiralling out of control? The PA signed the previous CBA to curb those contracts but took a back seat in the fight when it meant more money for their members.
Personally, I think that the NHLPA was all over those loopholes along with the agents. Loophole being the key word, there wasn't anything to stop them because the CBA neglected to address the entry contract limits in total because bonuses were neglected.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 12:57 PM
  #70
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
You would be surprised now a days with Radio, TV, the internet and other sources the information you can get almost like being their live I would guess.
yes, that's all very good. you followed the team on the internet for a year. this is equal to actually following them up close for 14 years, and actually going to the games?????

if you think that's the same as being live on the scene, you don't know what you're missing.

Quote:
Any other questions you think I am afraid to duck ??.
yes. i have asked you twice to explain this statement you made........

..and now after seeing how little that ended up effecting anything.

the "that" you were referring to was the sjleafs being a good team and making it to the playoffs.

you have ducked the question in 3 diferent posts. please explain how you can say that this season had no, or very little, effect on the prospects on this year's team.

and also, in your previous response to me, yes i am a junior newbie. i'm not foolish enough to think i know how the league works and know everything about it just from reading some stuff on the internet.

Frankie is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 01:03 PM
  #71
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Any other questions you think I am afraid to duck ??.
I'm not surprised at your level of knowledge on the issues.

I'm in primary school, compared to your PhD candidacy.

If you were speaking local soccer, I'd be more in tune, with High School, City, and Super Y games/practices/technical training to transport the boy to, I just don't have the time. I look forward to my commutes on the bus, it gives me the freedom to do the sports, and my 5:00 am work-out lets me get the previous days highlights. Saturday and Sunday morning allows me games from around the world, and insomnia provides special time to catch up on other sports.

By-the-way, I think the www.advancedprospects.com org in Kelowna bit the dust so I suppose I won't have a soccer reason to visit this year. Well, except for visiting relatives.


ps. The Leafs farm team had only recently moved to the Island, so it isn't like a generation grew up with it there. They'll be fine with junior hockey, it can be much more exciting, the intent is to win, not develop product.

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 01:42 PM
  #72
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
I'm not surprised at your level of knowledge on the issues...
That makes one of us !!! .. I am just trying to nudge ahead of Frankie being at this great disadvantage after all..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
If you were speaking local soccer, I'd be more in tune, with High School, City, and Super Y games/practices/technical training to transport the boy to, I just don't have the time. I look forward to my commutes on the bus, it gives me the freedom to do the sports, and my 5:00 am work-out lets me get the previous days highlights. Saturday and Sunday morning allows me games from around the world, and insomnia provides special time to catch up on other sports...
Is this section even in English??? My primary school knowledge on this particular topic is quite apparent. In fact I just gave myself a good whack with this cat just now on this topic ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
By-the-way, I think the www.advancedprospects.com org in Kelowna bit the dust so I suppose I won't have a soccer reason to visit this year. Well, except for visiting relatives..

Really bit the Dust ??

Well with the Kelowna Rockets going to their 3rd straight Memorial Cup and as defending Champions no less .. and along with all the local fans having to follow the AHL and the prospects thoroughly through the various media outlets .. I guess something had to give ..

Relatives in Kelowna ??


Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
ps. The Leafs farm team had only recently moved to the Island, so it isn't like a generation grew up with it there. They'll be fine with junior hockey, it can be much more exciting, the intent is to win, not develop product.
Sometimes as the saying goes "You can't see the forest for the trees" . Perhaps having a AHL too close by, blinds your vision of its true purpose and intent for being there in the first place. It seems that judgement is clouded by proximity, and on the outside looking in gives one a better more impartial opinion on the subject. When one can separate personal bias like win at all expense when you are not so personally attached at the purse strings to the outcome of each game ??

PS .. I used to love following the day to day scoring exploits of Bruce Boudreau and for the life of me I can't remember him ever being in St. Johns other than an opposing coach that is . I remember a few years in the mid 80's with the Nova-Scotia Oilers, does that count as close enough ?? .. Then again we are getting older and its getting hard to keep all things that happened in the 60's, 70's & 80's fresh in ones mind over time.

Mess is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 02:08 PM
  #73
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Sometimes as the saying goes "You can't see the forest for the trees" . Perhaps having a AHL too close by, blinds your vision of its true purpose and intent for being there in the first place. It seems that judgement is clouded by proximity, and on the outside looking in gives one a better more impartial opinion on the subject. When one can separate personal bias like win at all expense when you are not so personally attached at the purse strings to the outcome of each game ??
i know you don't believe a word of that. but you don't know what else to say.

i know what the ahl is for. did it stop the leafs from giving the most ice time to ling, moro, and wilm?

i also know, from being close to a team for so long, that everyone involved in the team is thinking "wins". there's simply no other way to operate.

long distance, newbie "followers" can't possibly know how things work.

Quote:
PS .. I used to love following the day to day scoring exploits of Bruce Boudreau and for the life of me I can't remember him ever being in St. Johns other than an opposing coach that is . I remember a few years in the mid 80's with the Nova-Scotia Oilers, does that count as close enough ?? .. Then again we are getting older and its getting hard to keep all things that happened in the 60's, 70's & 80's fresh in ones mind over time.
were you on the internet in 1982?

or did you follow bruce through your weekly thn subscription?

i'm sure you really had your finger on the pulse in those days.

you're still ducking the question. but i won't bring it up anymore. we both know you made a ridiculous statement that is impossible to defend.

Frankie is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 02:10 PM
  #74
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Relatives in Kelowna ??
Guichasan and Stillingfleet

Good location, I had to drive my better half to the hospital last summer.

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
05-18-2005, 02:16 PM
  #75
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
i know what the ahl is for. did it stop the leafs from giving the most ice time to ling, moro, and wilm?.

we both know you made a ridiculous statement that is impossible to defend
Speaking of Ridiculous statements ..

How did that strategy work out for Doug Shedden in keeping his job or St. Johns keeping their team .. ??

Mess is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.