HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Are we a cap team next year?

Old
05-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Caje

vCash: 500
Are we a cap team next year?

We are currently $16 million under the cap right now, and have made it to the second round of the playoffs. With Melnyk getting tons of extra revenue from all these playoff games, and the team showing that they are legitimate contenders, does that mean we'll start spending to the cap in the near future, or are we going to continually be a $50 million team?

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

I doubt uncle Eugene opens his purse strings.

I mean, the guy is broke. He has to wear track suits.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ouroboros
Barbarism at last!

vCash: 1076
Not likely.

There's nobody worth spending a ton of money on.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PatrickEaves
All posts unedited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
We are currently $16 million under the cap right now, and have made it to the second round of the playoffs. With Melnyk getting tons of extra revenue from all these playoff games, and the team showing that they are legitimate contenders, does that mean we'll start spending to the cap in the near future, or are we going to continually be a $50 million team?
Please take a look at the awful awful AWFUL free agent pool this offseason. Go ahead, do it, I'll wait.

Still think we should spend to the cap for next season?

Didn't think so.

05-09-2013, 10:11 PM
HavlatMach9
streamable 3rah1

We'll need to pay our own players eventually. It looks like we have a lot of cap space, but I think it's an illusion.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Caje

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Please take a look at the awful awful AWFUL free agent pool this offseason. Go ahead, do it, I'll wait.

Still think we should spend to the cap for next season?

Didn't think so.
It doesn't have to be all free agents. I wouldn't mind a few trades where we take back some salary for extra skill.

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:14 PM
costermonger
sans classe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
We'll need to pay our own players eventually. It looks like we have a lot of cap space, but I think it's an illusion.
This is true. Have to be careful or you end up trading guys you don't want to.

costermonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Sens Rule

I don't think Ottawa not being a cap team the last couple of years is about an internal budget - it is about rebuilding.

To rebuild you need to have spots open for young players to play. Dealing Kelly and Fisher was far more about opening up 2nd and 3rd line centre spots and PK and 2nd PP spots as it was about shedding salaries or getting draft picks.

If you have Cowen, Zibanejad, Silfverberg all waiting to get new contracts in the next 2 years, Michalek a UFA in a year, you need to have cap space available.

I do think we are going to get near the cap next season, possibly at the deadline. If they can sign a top 6 forward and not mortgage the future cap space they will do that. They will resign Gonchar I think, and Alfredsson. Both to a bit less then their cap hits this season. Still they will have a great big chunk of cap space.

I really appreciate Murray's acquisitions. He has made very key pickups in Anderson, Turris, Conacher, Methot. I think he has the permission from Melnyk to spend whatever he thinks will win us The Cup. He is also patient and is going to only pickup a guy that he thinks will fit the team, have a good contract and be here a long time.

I could see a guy like Jagr coming here. Or another old player that only has 1 or 2 seasons left. Doesn't hurt resigning Cowen, Zibby and Silfverberg in the long term, or signing a long term forward.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Goat Boy
In support of BMurr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Agreed. Unless we can pick up someone who is legitimately better than what we've got and who'll continue too be better than what we've got for years to come, I'd rather hold on to the cap space. After next season we could have some serious work to do in resigning Silfverberg, Cowen, Lehner, Conacher, Michalek, etc.

Goat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

The UFA's this off-season are HORRIBAD.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
costermonger
sans classe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
I really appreciate Murray's acquisitions. He has made very key pickups in Anderson, Turris, Conacher, Methot. I think he has the permission from Melnyk to spend whatever he thinks will win us The Cup. He is also patient and is going to only pickup a guy that he thinks will fit the team, have a good contract and be here a long time.
Deciding to rebuild has been some kind of magic when it comes to Murray's ability to acquire players who can make a difference.

costermonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TrueGrit

I still think we'll sign Penner, nobody of note aside from that, he'll replace Lats

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:33 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
nope. There really isnt that much available outside the organization worth bringing in. Alfie gets a salary raise but a cap hit reduction if he's back. Maybe they go after a clarkson/clowe type to replace lats, or they just re-sign lats (or penner). We'll still be closer to the floor than the cap. If there is going to be a trade, look to defense, where we need to fix the LD-RD imbalance we have in our system.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Sens Rule

Assuming Alfredsson signs for 1 year $4.25m; Gonchar 2 years $4.25m; Condra 3 years $1.9m; Hoffman 1 year $0.750m; Wiercioch 3 years $1.850m; Boroweicki 1 year $0.650.

Leaves us about $7-8 million in cap room after bonuses and the extra roster spaces are taken into account. We could sign a top UFA like Iginla.... As an Alfie replacement in a year or two. We could get several players at the deadline and be able to resign one of them after the season.

When do players need to be resigned? Even if RFA good players will get big raises.

2014 Michalek, Phillips, Cowen, Conacher, Silfverberg, Lehner, Greening, Pageau, Kassian, Gryba
2015 Spezza, Anderson, Methot, Zibanejad

Next year:
FORWARDS
Milan Michalek ($4.333m) / Jason Spezza ($7.000m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($4.250m)
Cory Conacher ($0.925m) / Mika Zibanejad ($1.744m) / Jakob Silfverberg ($0.900m)
Jean-Gabriel Pageau ($0.613m) / Kyle Turris ($3.500m) / Erik Condra ($1.900m)
Colin Greening ($0.817m) / Zack Smith ($1.888m) / Chris Neil ($1.900m)
Stefan Noesen ($1.107m) / Mike Hoffman ($0.750m) / Matt Kassian ($0.575m)
DEFENSEMEN
Erik Karlsson ($6.500m) / Sergei Gonchar ($4.250m)
Marc Methot ($3.000m) / Jared Cowen ($1.265m)
Chris Phillips ($3.083m) / Patrick Wiercioch ($1.850m)
Eric Gryba ($0.563m) / Mark Borowiecki ($0.650m)
GOALTENDERS
Craig Anderson ($3.188m)
Robin Lehner ($0.870m)
OTHER
Buyout: Bobby Butler ($0.200m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,620,000; BONUSES: $1,487,500

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Senscore
The Superior B-Side

No need to spend it all just because we can.

Although I believe the team needs to start bringing in other pieces to fill in holes in the lineup. Over the course of several years though.

Depth is key.

Senscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Do we have to be a cap team?

No?

Great

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Scrub*
Team Canada

Iginla, Jagr,Morrow, Horton, Stalberg, Fillpula, Cullen, Macdonald

Klinkhammer

Still plenty of top 6 forwards to pick from and we can also sign Gonchar again if he would like to stay.

Scrub* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:52 PM
danishh

iggy is a wildcard though. If he was willing to come we'd have to welcome him and the 6M salary that would come with him. I guess this would require us beating pittsburgh to prove we have a better shot than them.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:52 PM
IranCondraAffair

I think they said we'd spend around 50 million, which makes sense given the team's revenues.

We'll be about 6-7 million above the floor and 13-14 below the max. That's fine for me. I don't like being a minimum team but I also don't think that there's anything worth spending money on right now.

Next year, depending on what Alfredsson and Gonchar decide, we'll have about 4 million in space for them below our cap (which is enough for one of them). If they both decide to return, someone could be traded to make room, but I think Melnyk will open up the purse strings enough to accomodate them if they both want to return.

Latendresse will not be re-signed if Alfredsson returns, IMO, but could be re-signed if he leaves. Regin is gone. Lundin too. Benoit might stay if Gonchar leaves and they don't find a replacement RHD. Other than that, I don't think the team adds anyone other than a short term RHD if Gonchar retires.

We're pretty much set.

IranCondraAffair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:54 PM
saskriders
Can't Hold Leads

vCash: 750
Only if we sign a big Ufa or 2 to a 1 year deal. Save the space for raises/new contracts for players we develop

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:57 PM
Scrub*
Team Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
iggy is a wildcard though. If he was willing to come we'd have to welcome him and the 6M salary that would come with him. I guess this would require us beating pittsburgh to prove we have a better shot than them.
Yeah but can you see the Penguins being able to re-sign him in the off season though? Might be tough unless Iginla takes a team discount.

Scrub* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:09 PM
StefanW

I'd like to see a draft day trade that brings in another big D. As useful as Gryba has been, I don't see winning a cup with him as one of the top 6. There is also the issue of what Gonchar wants, and whether we have to replace him. If we replace (probably through trade) we would probably look at someone with a similar cap hit. If he stays he probably wont command as much, so there may actually be extra cap room.

+1 with the posters who already pointed out that the days are coming where we have to sign all of the youngsters who are currently on sweet entry level deals. That will be painful, and we need to have as much extra space as possible to get those deals done.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:54 PM
DrEasy
Out rumptackling

We have two problem spots: Gonchar's and Lats'. We can either re-sign them or try to do better. Either way, that's where our $$$ will probably go.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:57 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

I only re-sign Gonchar unless we have absolutely no other choice left to replace him with. Which we do.

MARK STREIT!

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:14 AM
playasRus

Wouoldn't mind Horton.
Need to save some cash and pay off these younguns when they hit RFA/UFA though

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote