HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brad Richards

Old
05-21-2013, 07:30 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crt View Post
Rangers fan here that thinks this is awesome.

Sather is a dolt

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:33 AM
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I like the rule. I cant remember ever hearing of a player retiring when they still had a contract and that contract still had 3-4M+ per year left on it.

But if you sign a player to a contract that dives at the end to the league minimum, the team should have been signing this with the full intention and full hope of that player playing out all years of the contract, otherwise its cap circumvention.

Its a brilliant rule, because the teams cant really complain. What are they gonna say, that they thought the player would retire before then? Cause then theyd get hit with a cap circumvention fine/loss of draft picks.
Agreed. The rule is perfect. There are so few quality FA's to hit the market these days... any team that willingly tries to circumvent the cap to win the services of a prized FA shouldn't be shocked to be penalized for it.

The actual punishment is considerably lighter than it should be given how much of an advantage it gives a team when it goes well... it just hasn't gone well for the Rangers. I'm sure if Richards was playing at a PPG level, Ranger fans would be fine with the rule.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 08:54 AM
sokocanuck

vCash: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
He'd make Toronto real close to a contender. We already got the 1st line talent on wing in Kessel, Lupul and JVR, we got the #2 and #3 centers covered in Kadri, and McClement.

We got the offensive Minded D in Phaneuf Gardiner we got Rielly coming and dispite his meltdown Reimer is a talented goalie.

Lupul Richards Kessel,

JVR Kadri, Ryder

Kuelmin McClement Clarkson

? Colborne Komarov

Phaneuf ?

Gardiner Gunnar

Franson Fraser

Reimer

?

Now granted I added Ryder cause don't think Kuelmin will be in our top 6 and there are a few ? but other then who plays with Dion none of them are massive the core is there adding a couple parts could make us a contender we aren't far off
I could see that being a realistic forward group, assuming Grabo, Bozak and MacA all leave.

sokocanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:21 AM
marciiauzii

Send a message via Skype™ to marciiauzii
Buy out after one bad season and still had 34 points. Yes, he didnt play his best but we could see him trying. 195th in points from 895 iced skaters. Not the best, not the worst. And Rangers clearly didnt put up a lot of goals as a team. I still think he can rebound maybe not this year against Boston but next year. You just cant buy out one player after one not that bad season overall. He is not worth that much but to spend 40mil on a buyout?
At least one more season to Richie for Rangers.

marciiauzii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
Yeah that's true, Still dont see him back in Dallas he will want to play for a Contender and Dallas is far from that right now.
Technically, he's doing that now.....he just isn't very good at it.

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:40 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

I'd try him out on the short-term rather than go with Bozak long-term.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
BUYER BEWARE.

This is what we thought as well.
All i can say is "systems matter". We watched our team get loads better just by replacing Wilson with Carlyle. Tort's system seems incredibly flawed, NY has brought in high offence talent just to play dump and chase.

Old
05-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Four1 Lead
Virtanen at 8.

No trade.

If NYR buys him out, I would like to see the Leafs sign him for no more than $4M.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
It's so fun watching Rangers sign these big name players, and time after time it blows up in their faces. And do they learn from their mistakes? Oh no, they have to repeat them, over and over. It's highly entertaining.
So...Clarkson to the Rangers....9 years @6.5 per?

Old
05-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
No trade.

If NYR buys him out, I would like to see the Leafs sign him for no more than $4M.
Agreed. I'd like to see him between Kessel Lupul/JVR.

Old
05-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Four1 Lead
Virtanen at 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Agreed. I'd like to see him between Kessel Lupul/JVR.
JVR - Richards - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
JVR - Richards - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Add Mac-Grabo/McClement-Clarkson as ou 3rd.....mmmmm.

Old
05-21-2013, 09:59 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
If we trade him and he decides to retire before his contract is over, we're on the hook for the caphit for the remainder of his contract. It's a stupid rule that needs to be changed, trades are made by two teams willingly.
As stupid a rule as buying a player out. This isn't a rule it's part of the CBA agreed upon by owners and players. Perhaps the stupid ones are Rangers management for inking the deal

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
As stupid a rule as buying a player out. This isn't a rule it's part of the CBA agreed upon by owners and players. Perhaps the stupid ones are Rangers management for inking the deal
Gotta agree. Passing fans were aware that the new CBA would have penalties and a lowering cap....how could Sather not?

Old
05-21-2013, 10:05 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
If we trade him and he decides to retire before his contract is over, we're on the hook for the caphit for the remainder of his contract. It's a stupid rule that needs to be changed, trades are made by two teams willingly.
I hate the rangers, but agree the rule is stupid. In fact I don't know if it's legal. If this was in europe, someone would already have filed a lawsuit against it at the EU court and maybe won. How can you make a law that punishes someone for something that was perfectly legal at the time they did it? Seems like victor's justice and an Ex post facto law or retroactive law, which is forbidden, according to wikipedia, in the US constitution. It might be interesting to see an NHL team sue the NHL over it.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:09 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

But a team willing to acquire a well-know awful contract should just get the benefits?[/QUOTE]

The NHL didn't have to allow buyouts in the first place and then the Rangers would be really screwed finding any takers.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
I hate the rangers, but agree the rule is stupid. In fact I don't know if it's legal. If this was in europe, someone would already have filed a lawsuit against it at the EU court and maybe won. How can you make a law that punishes someone for something that was perfectly legal at the time they did it? Seems like victor's justice and an Ex post facto law or retroactive law, which is forbidden, according to wikipedia, in the US constitution. It might be interesting to see an NHL team sue the NHL over it.
The problem is, this was proposed....voted on....and then accepted by the owners. This isn't a concoction that the NHL just came up with.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Koekkoek4U
Anthony Eclair

Quote:
JVR - Richards - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Wut.

Rangers fan here, Kadri is so much better than Richards and isn't Bozak a free agent? Richards would do about as much as he did for more money, even though I heard Bozak is asking for more than he's worth.

Richards is on the Rangers 4th line btw. He's lucky if he plays on the PP. As a Rangers fan, I don't recommend him. He'll screw up your cap space which you guys are going to need help on after a lot of your players like Gardiner, Kadri, and Franson's time runs out.

Koekkoek4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
The problem is, this was proposed....voted on....and then accepted by the owners. This isn't a concoction that the NHL just came up with.
yeah... I just wonder what a non-sports court would say to it. But as it is in the CBA, I guess it's legal just like a salary cap or the draft which also wouldn't usually be allowed.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:43 PM
RangerGuru

Sather is terrible with FAs, however, he is a mastermind with trades (See Gomez, not losing Stepan/ Kreider in the Nash deal / Gaborik trade)

Gaborik was the only FA that worked out, yet it didn't work out long term. Best thing to do would be to sign short term contracts, or fiscally responsible long term ones. Yes it's tough, especially with 2014 coming and all those big names, but that's the moral.

As for Richards, I wish they would buy him out now, but I feel like Slats would go after a sub par FA this offseason if that happened. Richards will get another year

RangerGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:52 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koekkoek4U View Post
Wut.

Rangers fan here, Kadri is so much better than Richards and isn't Bozak a free agent? Richards would do about as much as he did for more money, even though I heard Bozak is asking for more than he's worth.

Richards is on the Rangers 4th line btw. He's lucky if he plays on the PP. As a Rangers fan, I don't recommend him. He'll screw up your cap space which you guys are going to need help on after a lot of your players like Gardiner, Kadri, and Franson's time runs out.

I watch a lot of Brad Richards ovver his career I really think he's got a lot of gas left but Torts system doesn't suit him. Put him on the team that was 3rd in NHL scoring last year and he's a ppg player again

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
I watch a lot of Brad Richards ovver his career I really think he's got a lot of gas left but Torts system doesn't suit him. Put him on the team that was 3rd in NHL scoring last year and he's a ppg player again
Feel the same way.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Technically, he's doing that now.....he just isn't very good at it.
Yeah he's slipping in his old age of 32 i guess.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
A player who sucks as bad as Richards does not have a choice on which teams offer him a contract. Don't expect contending teams opening up their wallets and lining up for his services. Calgary, Toronto or TB, none of those teams are contenders. Unless he signs a 1-2 mil./1 year contract with Boston or Chicago, I can't see a lot of contenders offering him 4 mil.+ (think Gomez and Redden).
True the only ones that might offer him a decent contract are non playoff teams.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:06 PM
BrianBoyle
↓ Perfection ↓

vCash: 300
Quote:
lol.

One of the reasons the Rangers had so much trouble scoring was because Richards was so terrible. It's not Torts' system, it's Richards. Nash just had his best year in quite awhile. Stepan was on pace for 70+ points.

BTW, Richards has played under Tortorella a lot and certainly didn't have any problems scoring with Tampa. He had a good year last year, as well, playing in the same system.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote