HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumors and Speculation Thread #5 (June 8: Bob McKenzie's rumors [page 27])

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I should have been more specific they can attend NHL prospect camps and remain an amateur under NCAA rules. They can't attend camps with actual active NHL players.
Which leads to an interesting possibility:

Imagine, by accident, a pro-player steps on to the ice just to skate around at prospect camp and shoot around.

Or would the pro have to be on the camp roster "officially"?

Old
05-29-2013, 04:24 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post

Imagine, by accident, a pro-player steps on to the ice just to skate around at prospect camp and shoot around.

I'm not sure. The NCAA is pretty crazy with their rules so it wouldn't surprise me if so.

Old
05-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Bankerguy

What do you guys think of a deal like this if 20 games into next season you're still having huge goalie problems.

Alex Edler
Chris Tanev
Cory Schneider
Alex Burrows

for

Coburn
B. Schenn
Couturier
3rd round pick

You guys get a top pairing Dman in Edler. Also get Tanev, a young right side no.4 dman with potential. Burrows in your top 6 would probably put up 20/20 while playing an excellent two-way game. You get a solution between the pipes.

Canucks would do this because they deal from an area of strengths.... with the emergence of Corrado, they can afford to deal Tanev (both young right side D ..Tanevs just further along in his development but both are second pairing eventually) Canucks get younger.

Old
05-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerguy View Post
What do you guys think of a deal like this if 20 games into next season you're still having huge goalie problems.

Alex Edler
Chris Tanev
Cory Schneider
Alex Burrows

for

Coburn
B. Schenn
Couturier
3rd round pick

You guys get a top pairing Dman in Edler. Also get Tanev, a young right side no.4 dman with potential. Burrows in your top 6 would probably put up 20/20 while playing an excellent two-way game. You get a solution between the pipes.

Canucks would do this because they deal from an area of strengths.... with the emergence of Corrado, they can afford to deal Tanev (both young right side D ..Tanevs just further along in his development but both are second pairing eventually) Canucks get younger.
Noooooooo. Hell no. Giving up Couturier and Schenn makes the team worse, even if Schneider comes back and plays well. I don't see Burrows (a winger) replacing Couturier on defense, which will open a big hole in the roster at center, especially with Schenn leaving as well.

This doesn't really fix our D problems, either. Edler isn't a true number one. Neither is Tanev. We already have a plethora of top 4 type guys, we don't need more...even with giving up Coburn.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 05-29-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old
05-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Bankerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Noooooooo. Hell no. Giving up Couturier and Schenn makes the team worse, even if Schneider comes back and plays well. I don't see Burrows (a winger) replacing Couturier on defense, which will open a big hole in the roster at center, especially with Schenn leaving as well.

This doesn't really fix our D problems, either. Edler isn't a true number one. Neither is Tanev. We already have a plethora of top 4 type guys, we don't need more...even with giving up Coburn.
There are like 10 no.1 dmen in the league...Edler is probably 14-20th range...he'll put up 40-50 points, skates well, good size etc..

hmmm i see.....I thought you guys had the offense to spare and it might be worth giving up two young forwards for two top 4 dmen who are healthy and a star goalie...but you know your team better than i do!

Old
05-29-2013, 05:37 PM
LegionOfDoom91

That was bad.

Old
05-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Prongo
Beer

I can't wait to see the reaction of this board when Homer grabs someone nobody thought was available.

I also could see him doing nothing big and people being mad about that.

So basically my thinking here is he will or will not do something! Let that sink into your brains!

Oh that proposal is terrible.

Also hopefully the more and more time St Louis takes to get Piety under contract, the more of a chance they think about moving him. My dream of having him here is not yet dead, but close to it!

Last edited by Prongo: 05-29-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old
05-29-2013, 06:18 PM
Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Just because one guy can do it doesn't mean every guy in the same circumstance can or should. Ghost isn't close to being physically ready to play in the NHL. Krug is listed at 5'9", 180 lbs. Ghost is 5'11", 160. Erik Gustaffson is 5'10", 180 lbs. Ghost needs to put on 20 lbs at least to play effectively in the NHL. That's fairly difficult to do in less than year without seriously jeopardizing your abilities.
Usually NCAA guys sign with the team that drafted them after their junior year so I see Ghost inking a contract next spring. He probably will be 5'11", 185# or so by then. Its pretty normal for guys to add 20-25 between the ages of 18-21. At that size, his dimensions wouldn't be that much of an issue. Most likely the Flyers would do with him what they did with Alt-sign and send to the Phantoms for a few games.
Ghost has speed and a shot. I've seen him on tv several times and I like what he has to offer. is defensive positioning leaves something to be desired at times but then for a college sophomore, that's to be expected. Also they don't allow you to play the body that much in the NCAA. However these are things that he can learn.
Just for kicks, how would you guys compare him with Ristolainen, Morrissey, Zadorov and the other PMD that are in this draft?

Old
05-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
Just for kicks, how would you guys compare him with Ristolainen, Morrissey, Zadorov and the other PMD that are in this draft?
The closest comparable to Ghost amongst the first round guys is Morrissey, but Ghost isn't at his level for skating. That's not a knock on Ghoat though, because Morrissey is the best skating D-man out there. Otherwise, they both are physically similar and play an aggressive quick transition game.

Old
05-29-2013, 07:59 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerguy View Post

Alex Edler
Chris Tanev
Cory Schneider
Alex Burrows

for

Coburn
B. Schenn
Couturier
3rd round pick
I wouldn't do this deal even if you had a gun to my head.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:40 PM
Prongo
Beer

Wouldn't mind taking a look at Stalberg if he hits UFA, depending on his price. He is big but not overly aggressive, but some of what I have seen of him, he is willing to battle in this series.

Old
05-29-2013, 11:26 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Wouldn't mind taking a look at Stalberg if he hits UFA, depending on his price. He is big but not overly aggressive, but some of what I have seen of him, he is willing to battle in this series.

Him or Kruger. Kruger plays better defense.

Old
05-29-2013, 11:57 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post

There are players with pro experience at these camps. For instance, last summer, Brandon Manning already had a few games of NHL experience and a full pro year with the Phantoms under his belt and participated in the same camp as NCAA-eligible players such as Gostisbehere and invitees such as Hartzell.

Old
05-29-2013, 11:57 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

If there are 10 #1 defensemen in the league, does that mean 20 teams have ****** defense? i don't get it.

Old
05-30-2013, 01:11 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
There are players with pro experience at these camps. For instance, last summer, Brandon Manning already had a few games of NHL experience and a full pro year with the Phantoms under his belt and participated in the same camp as NCAA-eligible players such as Gostisbehere and invitees such as Hartzell.
And the NCAA players have to pay their own transportation and accommodations.

Old
05-30-2013, 01:31 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Oh, nice to know. I wasn't sure if active NCAA guys could even attend camp.
JVRs little brother was in prospect camp last summer wasnt he?

Old
05-30-2013, 09:11 AM
BillDineen

Antov Belov is supposedly signing with the Pens. He seems like a Flyers type of player. Big, physical and had a very good offensive jump in production this past year.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=20523

Old
05-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Antov Belov is supposedly signing with the Pens. He seems like a Flyers type of player. Big, physical and had a very good offensive jump in production this past year.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=20523
His agent is now saying he didn't sign with them and he has an offer from an NHL team

Old
05-30-2013, 09:50 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I wonder what Holmgren is doing to gear up for the draft/offseason period.

Old
05-30-2013, 09:56 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Thinking of the next franchise he can bankrupt.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:09 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
And the NCAA players have to pay their own transportation and accommodations.
for the training camp yes, but not for prospects camp

Old
05-30-2013, 10:14 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
for the training camp yes, but not for prospects camp
If an NCAA player attends an NHL training camp that would mean they signed a pro contract which would make them ineligible for the NCAA.

They can only go to prospect camps and remain eligible for the NCAA. He's right they have to pay the own way to these camps though.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:24 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
The closest comparable to Ghost amongst the first round guys is Morrissey, but Ghost isn't at his level for skating. That's not a knock on Ghoat though, because Morrissey is the best skating D-man out there. Otherwise, they both are physically similar and play an aggressive quick transition game.
Morrissey is also much more physical than Ghost. Morrissey is actually one of the best hip checkers and open ice hitters. He's got a bit of Kasparitis in him with regards to his open ice hitting.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:40 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Sadly, I think the Flyers will be making big moves this offseason. I think the front office cares more about getting the fans excited and buying tickets then is does about patiently building a Stanley Cup champion.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Sadly, I think the Flyers will be making big moves this offseason. I think the front office cares more about getting the fans excited and buying tickets then is does about patiently building a Stanley Cup champion.
I disagree wholeheartedly here. We sell tickets even when our team is in the bottom of the league, so we really don't have to worry about the fans not showing up. The reason we would make big offseason moves is because Snider wants a cup and the FO believes we are close to contending.

Even here, people don't think this team is close to contending, I disagree with that as well. We need to make a move a get a PMD, does not have to be a stud either, and watch Couts/Schenn mature into the players they are supposed to. I expect big things out of Schenn this year, and if Couts is here, he will be relied upon more for scoring. The biggest ? is goaltending, if Bryz is still there, I don't think we have a chance. That's why I am in favor at least giving a Thomas/Mason tandem a look. People want us to go through a rebuild, which I and most likely the front office doesn't think is necessary because of one shortened season that resulted in the 11th overall pick.

Closed Thread