HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Rumors and Speculation Thread #5 (June 8: Bob McKenzie's rumors [page 27])

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Snotbubbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
If there are 10 #1 defensemen in the league, does that mean 20 teams have ****** defense? i don't get it.
How many teams do you think have good defense? It certainly isn't 30.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:10 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
How many teams do you think have good defense? It certainly isn't 30.
I'm not even sure if there's 10 bonafide #1 defensemen in this league. There might be guys who are the best defensemen on their teams and play the most mintues for them but that doesn't necessarily mean they're #1 caliber.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I disagree wholeheartedly here. We sell tickets even when our team is in the bottom of the league, so we really don't have to worry about the fans not showing up. The reason we would make big offseason moves is because Snider wants a cup and the FO believes we are close to contending.

Even here, people don't think this team is close to contending, I disagree with that as well. We need to make a move a get a PMD, does not have to be a stud either, and watch Couts/Schenn mature into the players they are supposed to. I expect big things out of Schenn this year, and if Couts is here, he will be relied upon more for scoring. The biggest ? is goaltending, if Bryz is still there, I don't think we have a chance. That's why I am in favor at least giving a Thomas/Mason tandem a look. People want us to go through a rebuild, which I and most likely the front office doesn't think is necessary because of one shortened season that resulted in the 11th overall pick.
I fear another 2007. Nothing that was done that offseason was done to win a cup. Instead is was just to get into the playoffs. Hindsight being what it is, it would have been better to stink for another year and build like most Stanley Cup teams, thru the draft. This organization reacts too much to the wants of the fans. It's easy to blame Snider, but I am curious to see how much input he really has with the team anymore. He is in his 80s and spends most of his time in Malibu. He wasn't even involved much with the lockout unlike the first go round in 2004.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:24 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I disagree wholeheartedly here. We sell tickets even when our team is in the bottom of the league, so we really don't have to worry about the fans not showing up. The reason we would make big offseason moves is because Snider wants a cup and the FO believes we are close to contending.

Even here, people don't think this team is close to contending, I disagree with that as well. We need to make a move a get a PMD, does not have to be a stud either, and watch Couts/Schenn mature into the players they are supposed to. I expect big things out of Schenn this year, and if Couts is here, he will be relied upon more for scoring. The biggest ? is goaltending, if Bryz is still there, I don't think we have a chance. That's why I am in favor at least giving a Thomas/Mason tandem a look. People want us to go through a rebuild, which I and most likely the front office doesn't think is necessary because of one shortened season that resulted in the 11th overall pick.
We sold tickets when we were at the bottom of the league....for one season, mostly becaue those tickets were already sold before the season started. Then we quickly got back into the playoff hunt.

Do you really think the fans would show up if this team missed the playoffs for 2-3 years in a row while they did a full re-build?

Old
05-30-2013, 10:27 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
We sold tickets when we were at the bottom of the league....for one season, mostly becaue those tickets were already sold before the season started. Then we quickly got back into the playoff hunt.

Do you really think the fans would show up if this team missed the playoffs for 2-3 years in a row while they did a full re-build?
With how bad that team was it felt like 2-3 years.

Old
05-30-2013, 11:57 AM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

vCash: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
With how bad that team was it felt like 2-3 years.
That team still put butts in seats.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2007

Old
05-30-2013, 12:43 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
That team still put butts in seats.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2007
we know

but like I said, it was one bad season. tickets are mostly sold in advance to the games, so all those tickets were already bought before we found out we were going to suck

put a string of losing seasons together and then see how "great" our fan support is

Old
05-30-2013, 03:00 PM
viggen

...in austrian newspaper was announced that austrian winger Michael Raffl (who btw comes from the same town and club than Michael Grabner) has signed a two way contract with the Flyers.

Old
05-30-2013, 03:18 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
we know

but like I said, it was one bad season. tickets are mostly sold in advance to the games, so all those tickets were already bought before we found out we were going to suck

put a string of losing seasons together and then see how "great" our fan support is
According to ESPN we were 7th in the league in attendance for the 93-94 season, which marked our 5th straight non-playoff year.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/1994

According to hockeydb, attendance held pretty steady from '85 up until the new building opened.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...h.php?tmi=7439

Old
05-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Esq.

Anybody have any thoughts on trading Talbot? He was pretty terrible this season and he's got three more seasons at $1.75M cap hit. If Laughton is indeed able to step in as a 4th line C, Talbot would be expendable. We've got Laughton, Rinaldo, Rosehill, Read, McGinn, Akeson, and Gagne (if re-signed) who can fill out our bottom 6 group. What do you think Talbot could bring in return? I was thinking a 2nd would be about right.

Old
05-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Akanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggen View Post
...in austrian newspaper was announced that austrian winger Michael Raffl (who btw comes from the same town and club than Michael Grabner) has signed a two way contract with the Flyers.
Bill Meltzer has confirmed this

Updated: Flyers Sign Raffl, Risk & Reward of Drafting Defensemen in Round 1

Old
05-30-2013, 04:04 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

per Craig Custance

Quote:
All three Columbus first-round picks very much in play for immediate and long-term help for Blue Jackets.
Because we can always just trade Coburn and Hartnell to Columbus for Ristolainen, Nurse, Pulock, and Zadorov! (NOTE: Because we already have one 1st for those who missed it.)

Last edited by CS: 05-30-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old
05-30-2013, 04:07 PM
chinatown81592
Smash Bros Hype!

Get it done Homer

Old
05-30-2013, 04:12 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'd just say do the trade down if Nurse, Rist or Lindholm aren't there. Get 14th and 19th from Columbus with our 11th, Mez and 2013 3rd. Have two mid firsts and a high 2nd, bring in some damn good talent with those picks. Possibly a D-man or two with those picks.

Old
05-30-2013, 04:14 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
we know

Not really. There are a hefty chunk of ticket sales that don't happen until 1-2 months in advance of the game (i.e. probably enough to account for a 4-5% difference if not more.)

A losing season's ticket sales are definitely expected to taper off toward the end of the season, but this significant level of gate sale percentage is impressive for a losing season. If people didn't care about the losing club, they would not buy off the floater tickets that taper closer and closer to game day.

Old
05-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
If Homer can convince CBJ's new GM to take Coburn for a first I'd never stop laughing.

05-30-2013, 04:18 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggen View Post
Never heard about him until now. It's like Holmgren picked this guy's name out of a hat or something.

Old
05-30-2013, 04:20 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If Homer can convince CBJ's new GM to take Coburn for a first I'd never stop laughing.

The hate on this board has gotten insane. Beef, I expected it from others, but not you.

Let's trade Coburn for a 50% shot at getting Coburn with only 10% of that 50% resulting in a better Coburn......ugh.

Old
05-30-2013, 04:20 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Never heard about him until now. It's like Holmgren picked this guy's name out of a hat or something.
Played in Sweden this past season. Also played on Austria's WC squad on a line with Vanek.

Old
05-30-2013, 04:21 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Like Bobrovsky, Read, and Gustafsson...

But also like Pither, Hostetter, and Hovinen...

Old
05-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

The hate on this board has gotten insane. Beef, I expected it from others, but not you.

Let's trade Coburn for a 50% shot at getting Coburn with only 10% of that 50% resulting in a better Coburn......ugh.
Do you think Coburn is worth 4.5 million? He's another Carle; he can't play in the role we need him to play at this point, and the cap is dropping. The team isn't close to competing this year, barring some drastic change. If we can deal Coburn for a future replacement, I'm down with it. I'm not opposed to keeping him either (To give him, what...the 3rd straight season to prove he can hack it on his own? How many chances should he get at this point?), but if a good deal comes up that either directly improves the team or provides a solid chance for improvement, I have no problem taking it.

There are too many Dmen on this team who aren't worth their cap hit.

Old
05-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
Anybody have any thoughts on trading Talbot? He was pretty terrible this season and he's got three more seasons at $1.75M cap hit. If Laughton is indeed able to step in as a 4th line C, Talbot would be expendable. We've got Laughton, Rinaldo, Rosehill, Read, McGinn, Akeson, and Gagne (if re-signed) who can fill out our bottom 6 group. What do you think Talbot could bring in return? I was thinking a 2nd would be about right.
How was Talbot terrible this season? Yes, his offense was down (as expected). So was every other players offense on the team other than Voracek.

He's a beast on the PK, and a pretty versatile commodity in a lot of places. Not to mention, he has the aura of being a winner. You have to have some veteran guys like him around. Also, his contract is pretty decent imo.

I just think he brings a lot to the table and trading him should be the furthest thing from Holmers mind.

Old
05-30-2013, 06:06 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Do you think Coburn is worth 4.5 million? He's another Carle; he can't play in the role we need him to play at this point, and the cap is dropping. The team isn't close to competing this year, barring some drastic change. If we can deal Coburn for a future replacement, I'm down with it. I'm not opposed to keeping him either (To give him, what...the 3rd straight season to prove he can hack it on his own? How many chances should he get at this point?), but if a good deal comes up that either directly improves the team or provides a solid chance for improvement, I have no problem taking it.

There is only 1...Andrej Meszaros.

Old
05-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Flyerfan4life

Paging Nasty-mode Coburn, plz pick up the white courtesy phone..

paging Nasty-mode Coburn...

guys like sighting a white elephant...

Old
05-30-2013, 07:22 PM
dawkins121

Quote:

4.5 really isn't bad for Coburn. Carle isn't worth the contract Tampa gave him, but that's what d-men of his caliber go for on the open market. It's also hard to deny that we missed Carle and his puck moving this year. Coburn eats 20+ minutes a night and despite his cold streaks and offensive shortcomings is very capable of being a shutdown top 4 d-man. If we dumped Coburn, even for a 1st, we would get worse in the short term and there's a pretty good chance that whoever we pick won't be as good as him in the long term. Coburn was the 7th overall pick in the deepest draft of the past 20 years lest we forget.

Closed Thread