HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rumors and Speculation Thread #5 (June 8: Bob McKenzie's rumors [page 27])

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
At that amount of money St Louis would be better off taking the four first round picks. Shattenkirk is not worth paying $8 million a year.

Old
06-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
At that amount of money St Louis would be better off taking the four first round picks. Shattenkirk is not worth paying $8 million a year.
We are talking about Pietrangelo.

Piety isn't worth that much either, but it might be the price to have a slim chance they don't match. Trade route is much better. They need a play making center and would in return need a new defender. Couturier and Coburn fit those bills, but it would require a lot to get them to move Piety. He is a stud and in the hockey world, one of the more under rater players I feel.

Old
06-04-2013, 03:57 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'd still rather try to build internally instead of just throwing a **** load of picks and money at a player for right now. I'd still do Coburn for 16th and McCabe (from the Sabres). Get another mid-1st and a good D prospect (he would probably be our best prospect outside of Gus, who really isn't a prospect anymore though).

Old
06-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Oh. I think they will match any offer for Pietrangelo.

Old
06-04-2013, 04:22 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Well you won't with the new CBA. It would be along the same lines in the early years, but the money would be huge most likely. I mean pushing 9-10 million. Anything in the 8 range I think makes it pretty simple for them to match.

I was just trying to make a offer sheet up that would make it hard for St Louis to match, it is very difficult. Player can only have at most 18% of your teams cap I believe. So Piety's offer would have to be 11.5 or under. It's hard to get there only in 7 years unless we just offer that number straight across.
Waaaaay took much and not worth it at all. What if we offer sheet both their top d at the same time to give a bigger burden and harder for them to match both and possibly only one. Assuming they are no signed they will be receiving a offer sheet. Of course the down side is that these players may just go unsigned to test UFA next year and we could get them for free and for less. Weber obvi wanted to be here and I bet if didn't resign would have signed with us...

Old
06-04-2013, 04:26 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'd still rather try to build internally instead of just throwing a **** load of picks and money at a player for right now. I'd still do Coburn for 16th and McCabe (from the Sabres). Get another mid-1st and a good D prospect (he would probably be our best prospect outside of Gus, who really isn't a prospect anymore though).
I don't see how that's possible, Buffalo's going to be trying to get rid of Vanek and Miller this summer. I'm not saying the value is off but it literally would make no sense for Buffalo to do.

They're going to blow their team up even more this summer and rebuild, trading young player and a pick for a 29 year old defensemen just doesn't really make any sense.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 06-04-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old
06-04-2013, 04:56 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 143
I would offer 11.5 for 7 years on Pietrangelo. How "crippling" can it really be to have a franchise #1 D locked up for 7 years? The new NHL is about having your top players paid and your depth on ELC's

Old
06-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I would offer 11.5 for 7 years on Pietrangelo. How "crippling" can it really be to have a franchise #1 D locked up for 7 years? The new NHL is about having your top players paid and your depth on ELC's
People around here don't want to like the idea, but Piety will be a 50+ point defender while giving you all world defense. He is a beauty.

You would probably have to max the first 3 years out though, because St Louis is not the most stable team financially(they never spend to the cap, not saying the have bad ownership). Still people would complain about the 4 first rounders next, but the chances of any of those players reaching his play is highly unlikely.

The longer he stays unsigned, the better for Flyers fans. If he stays unsigned for a while, it means St Louis is not comfortable paying his asking price, he does have the same agent as DD as well. They are not afraid to hold out to get what they want.

Old
06-04-2013, 05:33 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
On my phone right now so can't link it but Friedman said hide your RFA'S from the Philadelphia flyers. Although I don't think it would work, we could see another big offersheet like the weber one to piety in St. Louis. Just me but if they can't get him signed quickly, try a trade, if that doesn't have any traction go for it all
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...spiration.html
Quote:
22. Phoenix will be on the prowl for offence. And hide your restricted free-agent defencemen from the Philadelphia Flyers.

Old
06-04-2013, 06:52 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
It would be hard to have any good players on ELC's if St. Louis did not match and took our next 4 first round picks. We do have a lot of good young offensive talent with Couts schenn and Laughton though. So who know, can't say I would be against the offer shert

Old
06-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Rolex

The Blues set themselves up for this when they picked up JBo's contract at $6+M per. Both Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk will be in that range after this off season. I don't think that they can carry all three of them. The question I guess is which one goes and at what price?

Old
06-04-2013, 07:05 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Quote:
22. Phoenix will be on the prowl for offence. And hide your restricted free-agent defencemen from the Philadelphia Flyers.
That strikes me as a throw-away hockey writer meme. Ha ha, the Flyers and that crazy Holmgren will offer-sheet everyone.

Old
06-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
The Blues set themselves up for this when they picked up JBo's contract at $6+M per. Both Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk will be in that range after this off season. I don't think that they can carry all three of them. The question I guess is which one goes and at what price?
If they let Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk make it to RFA, the Blues are colossally stupid. I have to believe that one of them, likely Pietrangelo, signs before free agency starts.

Old
06-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
That strikes me as a throw-away hockey writer meme. Ha ha, the Flyers and that crazy Holmgren will offer-sheet everyone.
I would agree with you if it was anybody but Friedman. He is extremely repsected and doesn't just throw out speculation. If he says it, it most likely came from a close source or league source that knows the Flyers intend to target some young defenders again this year.

Old
06-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Prongo
Beer

One player there hasn't been much talk about is Ray Whitney. I wonder if Dallas is thinking of moving him since they seem to be going into a rebuild. I have always liked him, and even at the ripe age of 67 he still can play. His wheels never seem to slow down. Would be a nice option to play on the wing with COuts or Schenn.

Old
06-04-2013, 09:05 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
I would agree with you if it was anybody but Friedman. He is extremely repsected and doesn't just throw out speculation. If he says it, it most likely came from a close source or league source that knows the Flyers intend to target some young defenders again this year.
Sure, I'd give much more credence to Friedman than a rumour pimp like Eklund or Garrioch. However, the way it was written seems like Friedman's tongue was firmly planted in his cheek.

Old
06-04-2013, 09:09 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Sure, I'd give much more credence to Friedman than a rumour pimp like Eklund or Garrioch. However, the way it was written seems like Friedman's tongue was firmly planted in his cheek.
Normally I pay no attention to Eklund unless its about the Flyers. The guy misses on 99% of his rumors but that 1% of being right usually involves the Flyers. I think he has some kind of connection within the Flyers organization.

Old
06-04-2013, 10:15 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Normally I pay no attention to Eklund unless its about the Flyers. The guy misses on 99% of his rumors but that 1% of being right usually involves the Flyers. I think he has some kind of connection within the Flyers organization.
Several people have supported Eklund regarding his Flyers rumours, and he may well have a legit connection with the FO. But his blunderbuss approach turns me off giving his fast-food rumour generation any interest.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:02 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
What if we offer sheet both their top d at the same time to give a bigger burden and harder for them to match both and possibly only one.
Preeeety sure once you make one offersheet, the picks required are tied up. So if we did a 4 firsts comp, we could only offer a sheet that gave 2nds, 3rds as comp. Meaning like $2m per, which the player wouldn't sign.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:04 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'm with you brother. Its time for the fanbase and ownership to realize that now we have to pay the piper and build up a few years of our organizational depth. No trading high picks, for a while.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:10 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I'm with you brother. Its time for the fanbase and ownership to realize that now we have to pay the piper and build up a few years of our organizational depth. No trading high picks, for a while.
At least til we draft at our own draft

Old
06-05-2013, 12:39 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
This is the way of the future.

06-05-2013, 02:03 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Waaaaay took much and not worth it at all. What if we offer sheet both their top d at the same time to give a bigger burden and harder for them to match both and possibly only one. Assuming they are no signed they will be receiving a offer sheet. Of course the down side is that these players may just go unsigned to test UFA next year and we could get them for free and for less. Weber obvi wanted to be here and I bet if didn't resign would have signed with us...
What makes you believe both of them, or even one of them would actually sign the OS?
It' s not like the Flyers looked like elite talent or sure-bet future Stanley Cup winners last season... St.Louis is not the worst place to be right now and frankly there are better destinations than Philly for a player to commit to for the rest of his career to win a cup.

Old
06-05-2013, 02:49 AM
JABEE

I don't think I could take the disappointment again after last offseason. Nashville waited 6 days to match. Dreger saying stuff like most league sources believe that Nashville couldn't match. I still think Nashville could trade Weber this offseason. The one that got away. The one who picked the Flyers as his new home.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
If they let Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk make it to RFA, the Blues are colossally stupid. I have to believe that one of them, likely Pietrangelo, signs before free agency starts.
I can see both of these guys wanting to wait until the RFA offers come in. They're not going to sign before that unless the Blues ante up some major cash. Pietrangelo is going to cost around $6.5M per on a long term deal, maybe higher. What that leaves them to sign Shattenkirk remains to be seen. The Blues have some other RFAs and UFAs to deal with. Then there is their own internal cap number. They never seem to go to the cap limit.
What is Shattenkirk worth?

Closed Thread