HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Rumors and Speculation Thread #5 (June 8: Bob McKenzie's rumors [page 27])

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 12:56 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
If we are trading Read to Nashville for Blum, I want a little more than just that. Blum has been very unimpressive in his short stints with the club and has had trouble playing. Not saying the + has to be huge, but it should be something. They will be getting a 40-50 point player for a disappointment? I need more than that.
Well Nashville doesn't have a 2nd rounder for this year if that's what you were hinting at.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Well Nashville doesn't have a 2nd rounder for this year if that's what you were hinting at.
Next years second rounder maybe?

I really like Mattias Ekholm. Won rookie of the year over in Sweden and is developing nicely for them. If we are trying for a defenseman from Nashville, I say target him.

Played in Mil. this year and put up some pretty nice numbers.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:03 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
you think Nashville gives up 2 younger assets who the Flyers would have control over for 4 years at least for a guy they could very well lose in free agency next offseason?

Old
05-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
you think Nashville gives up 2 younger assets who the Flyers would have control over for 4 years at least for a guy they could very well lose in free agency next offseason?
No no, I want the Flyers to target Ekholm instead of Blum is what I am saying. I would rather take the chance on him over Blum.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:08 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
No no, I want the Flyers to target Ekhold instead of Blum is what I am saying. I would rather take the chance on him over Blum.
I know very little about Nashvillle's prospect pool. My question is if you are Nashville do you give up 2 younger assets for a guy who could walk away next summer?

Old
05-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
I know very little about Nashvillle's prospect pool. My question is if you are Nashville do you give up 2 younger assets for a guy who could walk away next summer?
Ekholm and a 4th for Read. They get the year to negotiate a new year with Read and we get a potential big time player. GM's take these risks all the time when trying to upgrade their team. If they see it as feasible they can sign him to an extension for about 4 million, I don't see why they wouldn't take a chance.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:15 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Ekholm and a 4th for Read. They get the year to negotiate a new year with Read and we get a potential big time player. GM's take these risks all the time when trying to upgrade their team. If they see it as feasible they can sign him to an extension for about 4 million, I don't see why they wouldn't take a chance.
ok so whats the scoop on Ekholm?
i woud imagine the Flyers could get conditions on the deal maybe. If Read resigns the Flyers get a 2nd or 3rd instead of the lower pick.
I dont want to deal Read, but I really cant see the Flyers being able to afford him next summer.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:19 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
i woud imagine the Flyers could get conditions on the deal maybe. If Read resigns the Flyers get a 2nd or 3rd instead of the lower pick.
I dont want to deal Read, but I really cant see the Flyers being able to afford him next summer.
That's my feelings as well. That's why I rather trade him this summer and at least get something out of it.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Ekholm was drafted later, I don't remember what round. 4th I believe. Won the rookie of the year over in the SEL. He played last year for a short stint and this year for one game. He is down in Milwaukee and put up 30 points. He had 8 goals 22 assists.

He is a very mobile defenseman. That's always needed here. Big boy too, 6'4 weighs around 200 pounds. Shoots left, but I am sure the Flyers can find a spot for him. Good shot and can be a PP QB maybe one day.

Actually just looked it up, he didn't win rookie of the year in the SEL, he won best defenseman.

I understand Nashville might be hesitant to move him, but they might be in win now mode after such a poor season. Giving up youth your NHLers is the way to go. I believe they would be able to sign Read, they have the cap space.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:21 PM
BernieParent

I still think Blum can put it together, but Ekholm looks like a winner, too.

From HF:
Ekholm has good two-way ability, is a capable skater with decent overall mobility. The puck moving defender makes the simple and smart passes to get out of his zone. He has good hockey sense, plays with poise and patience while possessing a pretty heavy shot. The big defender needs to work on his physical game while improving his reverse pivots and angling techniques. He still has to adjust to the smaller ice surface, speed and size at the AHL in order to make the jump to the NHL.

He's a big kid (6'4", 194 lb) and put up good numbers last season with Milwaukee (10G, 22A in 59 games, +15).

Old
05-22-2013, 01:27 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Would Ekholm cost more than Blum?

Old
05-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Prongo
Beer

Oh look Eklund starting some rumors about Miller to Philly.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...7#.UZ0aorWfh-c

Quote:
Philadelphia:
There is so much we don't know about the Flyers off-season plans, but I do know that as the season wound down I kept hearing Ryan Miller's name being mentioned. Would he come to Philly and stay in the East? Could the Sabres trade him to one of their most hated rivals? Would the Flyers part with a player like Brayden Schenn to make a deal happen?
For that price, I politely decline and say goodbye.

I would like him to go to St Louis because it would give them less $$ to spend their RFA's.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:30 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Oh look Eklund starting some rumors about Miller to Philly.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...7#.UZ0aorWfh-c

For that price, I politely decline and say goodbye.

I would like him to go to St Louis because it would give them less $$ to spend their RFA's.
Is that a likely destination for him? To me that makes no sense with Allen and Elliot there.

I'm not really interested in trading for a goalie just yet. I would prefer Thomas and Luongo over Bryz if both were to hit the market. If not though I'm fine with a Mason/Bryz tandem for just next year.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-22-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old
05-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Is that a likely destination for him? To me that makes no sense with Allen and Elliot there.
Well he states they really like him there. Also I have no clue why St Louis fans are so reliant on Elliot and Allen. Elliot has played poor this year, but caught fire at the end of the year. He has always shown, besides one year, he is an inconsistent goalie. Allen is very young to throw him into the fire like that. Halak is still under contract for one year, they would probably have to trade him and not buy him out.

This is an interesting rumor though.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:41 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Well he states they really like him there. Also I have no clue why St Louis fans are so reliant on Elliot and Allen. Elliot has played poor this year, but caught fire at the end of the year. He has always shown, besides one year, he is an inconsistent goalie. Allen is very young to throw him into the fire like that. Halak is still under contract for one year, they would probably have to trade him and not buy him out.

This is an interesting rumor though.
Yeah, I just don't see the need of giving up assets for Miller when goaltending really isn't a problem for them.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:49 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

I'd rather wait until the buy-outs happen before giving up assets. Miller is a bit overrated and his personality wouldn't go over well here.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:07 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

If we trade Brayden for ryan ****ing Miller I am done.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
I'll openly admit that I haven't heard or watched much of Ryan Miller in the last year, but has he really fallen off that bad that we don't want him? A couple years ago people would have begged at the opportunity

Old
05-22-2013, 03:32 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Meh....Ektard making up stories again so people will flock to his site. Yeah, I get it that he's got an in within the organization, but the Flyers certainly will not give up Brayden Schenn for Ryan Miller.

The Tim Thomas rumour makes so much sense though when you think of it - the Flyers will be looking for a stop gap measure and a mentor to ensure that Steve Mason is ready. The Flyers are going to bring Mason along slowly and having a guy like Thomas around (who is considered by most to be a good teammate - it's his political views that scratch some people the wrong way) will certainly help. Thomas was great with Tukka Rask and I could see Thomas being great with Mason.

I know Thomas is an older guy, but the great thing about him is that he keeps himself in excellent shape (another devout Yoga practitioner) and his flexibility is never a problem. There's no reason to believe he couldn't play another 3 to 4 seasons at his age.

My real interest this off season is to see how Holmgren's going to address the defense and what's going to be done to get it fixed.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:49 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Get Thomas and platoon him with Mason. Goodbye Bryz and Danny B. that would be my offseason. Draft Ristolainen or Pulock, stand pat on defense for a few years. Next years UFA crop is a lot better. But we all already know Bobby Ryan is going to be a Flyer on draft night, its honestly just making too much sense for this trade to go down. Both teams dissappointed and Dregers rumors from around the deadline will pick up again

Old
05-22-2013, 03:50 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
If we are trading Read to Nashville for Blum, I want a little more than just that. Blum has been very unimpressive in his short stints with the club and has had trouble playing. Not saying the + has to be huge, but it should be something. They will be getting a 40-50 point player for a disappointment? I need more than that.
Blum has also suffered from the Couturier syndrome - coach tells Blum he's not generating enough offense. Blum starts generating offense and the coach tells him he's not playing good enough defense. Blum loses confidence because he can never do right in the coach's eyes and he ends up being benched.

Personally, I'd have no problems with Blum. I think he's a guy that can benefit from a change of scenery and a different philosophy with regards to how he should play defense. He's never going to be a banger and I think that's where a lot of troubles stem with Blum - Nashville wants him to play more physical and he just isn't that kind of player and it kills the rest of his game.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:20 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Take a look at this. Someone brought it up on another board and I thought it was interesting

To Tampa Bay
Sean Couturier
2013 1st
2014 1st or Matt Read
Shayne Gostibehere

To Philadelphia
Viktor Hedman

Tampa has a few very good D prospects waiting to come up and Philadelphia gets their #1 dman who will be able to patrol the blue line for many years.

Personally, I believe Tampa would want another Dman going the other way like Coburn, but I would be reluctant to let all of that go because it could create an even bigger hole in the flyers lineup

Last edited by NHLAlert: 05-22-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old
05-22-2013, 04:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
That looks like a huge overpayment.

05-22-2013, 04:31 PM
chinatown81592
Smash Bros Hype!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLAlert View Post
Take a look at this. Someone brought it up on another board and I thought I was interesting

To Tampa Bay
Sean Couturier
2013 1st
2014 1st or Matt Read
Shayne Gostibehere

To Philadelphia
Viktor Hedman

Tampa has a few very good D prospects waiting to come up and Philadelphia gets their #1 dman who will be able to patrol the blue line for many years.

Personally, I believe Tampa would want another Dman going the other way like Coburn, but I would be reluctant to let all of that go because it could create an even bigger hole in the flyers lineup

Old
05-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Stizzle

No way Holmer trades B. Schenn for Miller. That would be horrible.

Closed Thread