HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pittsburgh to buyout MAF?

Old
05-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Not happening. MAF is still the future in Pittsburgh. Vokoun is not a long term solution in net for the Pens and tere isn't a better goaie than MAF on the market. Shero is smarter than that. I wish he were our GM.
Agreed. I really doubt Fleury goes anywhere. He is a very good goalie in the regular season that has major mental lapses in the playoffs. The good thing is, he has proven capable of back stopping a team to the Stanley Cup twice and winning once.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:06 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Could be the Pens decide Fleury can't be counted on for them in the playoffs, but I don't think they'd need to buy him out. Fleury is still a talented goaltender and be of interest to a team that's simply focused on making the playoffs, not contending.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:15 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
apparently Fleury has so little value that the Pens would have to throw in their next two 1st rounders to get a team to take him for free. at least, that's the impression you'd get from reading these boards.

i don't think the Pens want to buy him out. who do they even have that's NHL ready (and capable to become a starter at the NHL level) after Vokoun? they may give Fleury one more season to allow him to redeem himself. his contract isn't even the worst among NHL goalies.
Good points.

I find it funny that people rag on Fleury and talk about how horrible he is (and rightfully so after his recent playoff performances), but then hope he comes available and show an interest in their team getting him if he were to be traded or bought out. If he is so bad why would anyone want him? Why would you want to waste your time? I mean, he is so bad he shouldn't even be in the NHL and is a back up goaltender at best.

I defended Fleury countless times from day 1 but after his recent play, I can't do it anymore. I hope he can turn it around. I fact, I believe he can. I've seen him play at high levels before. But this is just the assumption I get from people. If Fleury were to come available via trade, a lot of teams would be interested. If he became a free agent, more teams are probably interested. He isn't the piece of garbage people like to think around here and other parts.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:15 PM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
I could see Pens shopping him but not finding a buyer for the price they want. He is a great goalie but the ??? with haunt his value on the trade market. I hope he doesn't become another another statistic of big pressure in hotbed hockey markets.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:27 PM
Flat Stanley

No, Fleury will be kept, it doesn't even make sense to trade him, let alone buy him out. Fleury has had his inconsistencies but the Pens are a type of team that would try to work with him, not dump him. He's the franchise goalie for crying out loud, he's broken almost (if not every) record set by a Pittsburgh goalie, he's only 28 years old, is solid every season for the Penguins. His playoff performances aren't great statistically but he has proven he can get the job done.

It would be very dumb to trade him or buy him out, he's still a good goalie, with plenty of time to get his **** together.

If people would just pay attention to the hockey game that is played instead of putting a microscope on Fleury, there is only 1 game he's played in the playoffs that was bad, his last one played, game 4 against the Islanders. Game 1 he had a 26 save shut out, Game 2, His team was up 2-0 and 3-1. Where was his defense at when the Isles were scoring from behind the net? Apparently nowhere to be seen. Even in that losing effort he made 38 saves on 42 shots. Game 3, he started off slow, as did the Penguins, the isles came out hard in their first home playoff game in 6 years and got a 2-0 lead early, then Fleury made important saves to keep that game winnable for the Penguins and we won. Game 4, was his bad game, no excuse for his play that game.

Fleury is so underrated it's mind boggling that people call him overrated. Every goalie needs at least SOME help from their defense. Fleury's not the best goalie but he certainly isn't and never was or is the worst, contrary to what some on here believe.

Like I said, Fleury's been inconsistent in the playoffs, but people just go by stats, every year his playoff stats suck, yet he's been to 2 Cup Finals and won a Cup, and it wasn't like he caught lightning in a bottle, the guy led those teams to the Final, before his meltdown in Philly, nobody talked about Fleury, not one person, but after last year people say "LOL he hasn't been good since they won the Cup" 2010, you get kinda tired when you go to the Finals back to back in the current NHL, 2011, Fleury was the ONLY reason why we even made the playoffs with no Sid or Geno for half the year, 2012, defensive and goaltending meltdown, but was 4th in Vezina voting that year by quite a few GMs. 2013, a solid regular season, a decent playoffs that's overblown by media and hockey fans (imagine that). I agree with him being benched, Pens needed a spark and Vokoun is playing excellent hockey, but the Penguins aren't going to give up on Fleury.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:28 PM
tututooter21

Fleury signs with Philly, lol that'd be great

tututooter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tututooter21 View Post
Fleury signs with Philly, lol that'd be great
No!

Although interesting post. You'd get a mixed reaction from Pens fans. Some will be like "PLEASE! LET HIM GO TO PHILLY" then you will have those (like me) who thinks Fleury is a very talented goalie and would be successful and hate seeing him go to the Pens most hated team.

Then you have the Flyers fans say "NO THANK YOU, HE'S A SIEVE!"

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Contrary to HF belief, Fleury can be traded. He may not covet much but a transition team would certainly gamble on the hope of 'fixing' his playoff blunders just because the upside to doing so is a quality goalie. I personally believe Fleury's issues are Pittsburgh related. They play a high tempo, run 'n' gun style that necessitates the goaltender to be capable of handling odd man rushes and occasional shooting galleries. Fleury would be better suited in a tighter defensive structure.

Although, if Calgary thinks they can actually compete next year...

Either way, I hope they do. We need to unload one of our goalies and this may help us.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:56 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Contrary to HF belief, Fleury can be traded. He may not covet much but a transition team would certainly gamble on the hope of 'fixing' his playoff blunders just because the upside to doing so is a quality goalie. I personally believe Fleury's issues are Pittsburgh related. They play a high tempo, run 'n' gun style that necessitates the goaltender to be capable of handling odd man rushes and occasional shooting galleries. Fleury would be better suited in a tighter defensive structure.

Although, if Calgary thinks they can actually compete next year...

Either way, I hope they do. We need to unload one of our goalies and this may help us.
I think this has less to do with system and more with mental game. Look at vokoun, hes been solid for us and thats what we needed from fleury. Sure he led us to a cup but that was 4 seasons ago. He hasnt done anything since then. As for your goalies i'd think we'd only be interested in schneider or loungo after/if he is bought out.

Malkinstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:07 AM
Taras

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohnson View Post
Marc-Andre Fleury's future in Pittsburgh doesn't look too bright.
Do you think he'll get bought out?
Who will replace him? Mike Smith perhaps?
If you guys think that MAF is available because he is in a little slump, you are insane, there is no way in hell Pits trades him. If by some miracle they are dumb enough to put him on the market... We will gladly welcome him on the Leafs!!!

Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:17 AM
DJOpus

The Pens could certainly trade Fleury which would also give them the ability to control where he goes...

the talk of a buyout is premature.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:30 AM
CaptainCally

Lol at the guy who's stating that a player who once performed good and won a cup would never get bought out. Gomez says hi. Former Conn Smythe trophy winner B . Richards says hi. I doubt Fleury will get bought out since his contract isn't that long. If it was +5 years left he'd get bought out.

He's been trash the last few seasons when it mattered the most. If I was Pens I would try to trade him.

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 03:53 AM
PSGJ

I've been saying that Fleury is a mediocre goalie for a long time. In the past that made me one of the posters most critical of him. I still think that he is mediocre, but since a lot of people thinks he is terrible these days I am now one of his defenders. I can definitely see a trade coming. Calgary, NJ, NYI, Winnipeg, Colorado could all improve their goaltending by bringing Fleury in.

PSGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:04 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
I think this has less to do with system and more with mental game. Look at vokoun, hes been solid for us and thats what we needed from fleury. Sure he led us to a cup but that was 4 seasons ago. He hasnt done anything since then. As for your goalies i'd think we'd only be interested in schneider or loungo after/if he is bought out.
True, Fleury seems quite mentally fragile; a bad game and he falls apart too quickly.

Anywho, I figured Schneider. Depending on the offer, it should be something we consider. You guys have some excellent prospects and we, well, we don't, and really should remedy that.

Supposedly, Gillis was high on Bennett.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:48 AM
Malkin112

I think Toronto and Pittsburgh swap Kessel <--> Fleury deal. It's fair value for Fleury

Malkin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:14 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin112 View Post
I think Toronto and Pittsburgh swap Kessel <--> Fleury deal. It's fair value for Fleury
At least you tried.

maroon 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:38 AM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Fleury is a good goalie. Was a good goalie this regular season and last. He is atrocius when he goes cold and recently he shows a wont to do it at the worst possible time, but his contract isn't bad in any way (neither is it cap circumventing with a looming cap penalty at the end, nor is it going on for another decade) enough to justify buying him out.

Sure, if it is Malkin or Fleury, you know who is the odd man out, but a) why would it even be and b) that would be a decision for next summer, when Malkin's extension kicks in.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:38 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
He is only a backup as much as Luongo is.
Exqctly. Vokoun is very good.goalie and was number one goalie in nhl before going to Pittsburgh and try win the cup. Hes great backup and ok starter, even today.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:10 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

I honestly don't see Pittsburgh buying MAF out.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:20 AM
Hemsky4PM

Major Goalie movements are coming this summer.

Price, Luongo, Bryzgalov, Halak, Miller and Fleury are apparently all out of favour with their current teams...we'll see how things shake out with the various no-trade clauses...

Fleury is likely a tradeable asset still. Not sure you'd get much return for any of the above goalies though.

I could certainly see Phoenix taking a chance on him with two years left on his deal. How about Fleury for the rights to Mike Smith? Pitt tosses in a 3rd in 2014 that becomes a 2nd in 2014 if Smith signs with the Pens.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:01 AM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Major Goalie movements are coming this summer.

Price, Luongo, Bryzgalov, Halak, Miller and Fleury are apparently all out of favour with their current teams...we'll see how things shake out with the various no-trade clauses...

Fleury is likely a tradeable asset still. Not sure you'd get much return for any of the above goalies though.

I could certainly see Phoenix taking a chance on him with two years left on his deal. How about Fleury for the rights to Mike Smith? Pitt tosses in a 3rd in 2014 that becomes a 2nd in 2014 if Smith signs with the Pens.
We dont have a second next season but i dont think getting smith helps. I havent watched any phoenix games since last season other than the playoffs and imo he only puts up good numbers because of the system. I dont want us to make the same mistake philly did.

Malkinstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:21 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Phoenix isn't willing to pay the 5-6 million per year that Smith is asking, what makes you think they'd take on MAF who's due to earn 5.75 for the last two years of his contract.

Yes, MAF has the pedigree of winning, but the $$ is more important to a budget team like Phoenix.

Remember when people called Maloney nuts 2 years ago for signing Smith as their number 1? He'll find someone similar, probably not as gifted as Smith was/is, but someone who's willing and able to handle the number 1 job.

On topic, no I don't see Pens buying him out nor trading him, yet. 2014? Maybe.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:23 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Shero way too smart to buy out Fleury. It's just not happening.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:23 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I agree with those that said Fleury won't be bought out. He's too good in the regular season, Vokoun isn't a long-term answer and the Pens don't exactly have a blue chip NHL ready goalie prospect waiting in the wings. They really can't buy Fleury out for those reasons.

The only possibility of Fleury being moved is through trade. Pens would need to acquire another goalie that can handle sharing starts with an aging Vokoun though.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 08:46 AM
The Hendog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirakzigil View Post
Not happening. Trade maybe, buyout no. Vokoun is old and only has a year or 2 left. Fleury right now is the present and future in net for the Penguins.
If he was the goalie of the present
Wouldn't he be playing playoff games for the Pens right now??
Seems like a more accurate statement would be Fleury is the past and future in net for the Penguins

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote