HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

S. Kostitsyn wants to move back to Europe?

Old
05-22-2013, 04:10 AM
Rankelson

vCash: 500
S. Kostitsyn wants to move back to Europe?

Belarusian sports newspaper Pressball interviews Belarus head coach Anderi Skabelka who has heard that Sergei Kostitsyn is keen to return to KHL club Avangard Omsk where he played during lock-out. Link to site (in belarusian): http://www.pressball.by/pbonline/hockey/78267

I don't know the reliability of the source but given the caphit of $3M and last seasons performance, I would say 'do svidanya' (good-bye) and good riddance. There surely are better options available in the UFA market for $3M.

Rankelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 06:49 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankelson View Post
Belarusian sports newspaper Pressball interviews Belarus head coach Anderi Skabelka who has heard that Sergei Kostitsyn is keen to return to KHL club Avangard Omsk where he played during lock-out. Link to site (in belarusian): http://www.pressball.by/pbonline/hockey/78267

I don't know the reliability of the source but given the caphit of $3M and last seasons performance, I would say 'do svidanya' (good-bye) and good riddance. There surely are better options available in the UFA market for $3M.
Not exactly sure how the new cba and the transfer/anti-poaching agreement between the khl and nhl would handle this situation. Not sure we could let him walk even if both sides wanted to. He may just have to play out the year then go

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 07:55 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

If he needs some boxes.......

He doesn't have enough talent to play without drive, let him leave.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Every summer Sergei goes back home and an article is published with a quote from him saying something about wanting to stay. This time, it's not even him saying it, but someone else.

All I know is every fall he's back here playing. After next season he's a free agent, then I'll be concerned.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 08:19 AM
PFL615

Hopefully when he comes back in the fall for his final year it is not in gold and blue.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 08:48 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

I will again state my opinion that the biggest mistake Poile made in dealing with SK was to give him a two year deal. He apparently only plays motivated when he is playing for his next contract.

I think his trade value is low right now and I wouldnt throw him away for a mid round pick, unless we are in a money crunch and keeping him would prevent us from acquiring someone else we need.

Having already lost Erat, dumping SK means we need a minimum of two top 6 wingers just to get back to our previous baseline. Im not at all confident that we can fill those holes from within.

If we are in the hunt for the playoffs this next season he will be useful. If we are sellers at the deadline we can trade him for a pick then.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:59 AM
Persona5

I say use a buyout and let him go.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:03 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
I say use a buyout and let him go.
ridiculous. pay him NOT to play? we'd be better off dumping him for a 7th round pick. As down as we are on him, he has value.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:31 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

What he^^ said. Absolutely no buyout. The only thing that would suck if true is that we'd miss out on getting a 3rd or 4th for him at the draft.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:35 AM
AintLifeGrand

I will personally drive up to Nashville. Pick him up, drive him back to Atlanta (giving him full control over my IPOD during the trip), and will buy him a meal at the Hartsfield Jackson Pascal's in Concourse A, if he agrees to go back to Europe full time.

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:47 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I will again state my opinion that the biggest mistake Poile made in dealing with SK was to give him a two year deal. He apparently only plays motivated when he is playing for his next contract.

I think his trade value is low right now and I wouldnt throw him away for a mid round pick, unless we are in a money crunch and keeping him would prevent us from acquiring someone else we need.

Having already lost Erat, dumping SK means we need a minimum of two top 6 wingers just to get back to our previous baseline. Im not at all confident that we can fill those holes from within.

If we are in the hunt for the playoffs this next season he will be useful. If we are sellers at the deadline we can trade him for a pick then.
SK is not a top 6 winger lol.. He can be replaced pretty easily to. Your probably not going to get a money value with a pick but hopefully the Preds could land a mid late round gem for relieving him of his waste of a roster spot.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:49 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
SK is not a top 6 winger lol.. He can be replaced pretty easily to. Your probably not going to get a money value with a pick but hopefully the Preds could land a mid late round gem for relieving him of his waste of a roster spot.
agreed.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:51 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yet we had a ton of injuries and no one was able to replace him or anyone else in the lineup.

I really don't get the SK hate but then again I never got the hate of a lot of guys on the team over the years. When paired with the right guys he is a top 6 talent. He is very much like Bobby Ryan in the sense others make him look better. Is that a knock on him, not really. I just think the expectations are high for this guy and he made one really bad play in Edmonton and everyone thinks that's all SK is. Does everyone still think Josi is a crappy defenseman because he got the puck stolen from him by Datsyuk in last years playoffs?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:16 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Yet we had a ton of injuries and no one was able to replace him or anyone else in the lineup.

I really don't get the SK hate but then again I never got the hate of a lot of guys on the team over the years. When paired with the right guys he is a top 6 talent. He is very much like Bobby Ryan in the sense others make him look better. Is that a knock on him, not really. I just think the expectations are high for this guy and he made one really bad play in Edmonton and everyone thinks that's all SK is. Does everyone still think Josi is a crappy defenseman because he got the puck stolen from him by Datsyuk in last years playoffs?
I'm not basing it off one play, I'm basing if off his entire season. He was lazy and not productive, he made boneheaded drop passes consistently and never backchecked.

He was by far our least productive winger.

He's got the talent, for sure, but he's mentally weak.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:54 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I'm not basing it off one play, I'm basing if off his entire season. He was lazy and not productive, he made boneheaded drop passes consistently and never backchecked.

He was by far our least productive winger.

He's got the talent, for sure, but he's mentally weak.
By that account of production I'd say Wilson and Bourque are really the only ones we need to have back next year then. Maybe Legwand. Beck is too early to tell. All the forwards except Wilson sucked last year, plain and simple.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:12 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Yet they all outproduced him, especially considering his toi on the pp, and again his effort was by far the worst on the team. He didn't want to be here last season and hit showed.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:35 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Whatever gets him off our team

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 01:16 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
While I agree the SK of this past season wasn't a top 6 and his pitiful production this last year is easily replaced, we aren't trying to get back to where we were this year. If we want to return to pre lockout form we need a 20 goal scorer to fill SKs spot and another 20 goal scorer to replace Erat. Not an easy thing to do.

If someone makes a decent offer for SK, or if we trade for or sign a couple of other forwards, then sure, trade him. But otherwise we might as well see if he will play like we need him to this next year

Old
05-22-2013, 03:15 PM
Persona5

SK was really bad last season. We all know that. My probelm with him isn't just last season though. He has always played way to soft for my taste and looks to pass to someone who is covered when he has a wide open shot. Along being lazy at times I just don't like the guy. He also has disapeared during every playoff game he has been in. If you want this team to ever make a cup run he can not be on the team...

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 132
If the report is true there will not be a team in the league that would offer anything for SK. What will likley happen he goes the teams waives him in hopes someone will claim him to clear the books.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 08:22 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
ridiculous. pay him NOT to play? we'd be better off dumping him for a 7th round pick. As down as we are on him, he has value.
yup I want him on this team until he is a FA. If he can get his gear back Im ok with him staying. Playing a lesser role. Oddly enough we dont have many SKs as we do spalings, hali, clune, yips... we have the roster space for him in our top 9

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 01:16 AM
Neal Before Zod

If he wants out, let him go. I don't want him here if he doesn't want to be here.

That said, this is just a rumor. For all we know, he likes playing here.

He was horribly inconsistent this season, though, and I think that if he has similar output next season, he won't be a Pred in 2014-15.

Unfortunately, I think he's a tweener. I'm not sold on him being a Top 6...but at the same time, he doesn't really fit with our Bottom 6. He's talented...and when he plays with effort, he's not a bad forechecker and scorer...and we're not exactly stacked with scoring talent. But if we draft a good offensive player and land a decent FA forward, I could see it getting a little too crowded to justify his contract. We'll just have to see how that plays out.

Neal Before Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:45 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

If he's waived and goes to Europe he doesn't count against the cap and gets no money from the Predators.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:03 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post

I sure didn't see SK making any kind of effort to raise his game while people were injured. It was much more than that one play. Come on... He failed the eye test miserably and
3 goals in 46 games making 3 million. A Mill a goal..??!!
I firmly believe he has the same attitude Erat had this year and it is time for him to go.

Personally i would rather see guys like Borki and Beck in there over him these days.

Old
05-23-2013, 01:00 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
I
I firmly believe he has the same attitude Erat had this year and it is time for him to go.
Now that's an interesting angle. He and Erat were line mates. Both have Eastern European roots. It's not a stretch to say they were close off the ice as well as on the ice. Whatever frustration Erat experienced could have spilled over to SK. SK certainly played like he wanted to be elsewhere. I think he led his KHL team in scoring and was on his way to the KHL all star game when the NHL called him back. I know the KHL is not the NHL, but he was playing at a high level when he returned from Russia. His play shouldn't have fallen off as much as it did. You have to think that whatever soured Marty, affected SK as well.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote